The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2017, 04:41 AM   #61
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Chuckwagon – it’s common-place for the AD to take the watch out of sight in the “back room” in the UK - never figured out if they were checking for “stolen” or condition, but in my dealings with “Watches of Switzerland” since 1988, this is just one of the personal insults we have to bear. Having established that you are not a thief, or a fraud, don’t expect their attitude to immediately change, at least they haven’t with me.

You walk in there feeling pleased you have a Rolex – they just stand there thinking “so” ? – ‘twas ever thus ……

As to the scratch – this was likely “on” the surface, rather than “in” the surface, and I congratulate you on being able to determine this when challenged. Furthermore, there is no way in Hades that the hands will have been damaged after six years on what is effectively a “sealed” watch. In regard to that matter, simply tell Rolex that you are happy with the hands the way they are – you can change your mind in six years time if you so choose.

When my shiny new 1988 DJ was damaged (the crystal was punched through) within a year of purchase, Rolex repaired the watch, and returned it (without comment), still with a tiny nick on the hour hand. That “nick” means that the watch is mine, and as I know its history, it somehow becomes “personal”. These things “grow” on you, and “with” you.

Rolex strive to return a watch to pristine condition, and only if you accept this, should you use a RSC. In your case, perhaps acceptable – in mine, hopefully I will be given the option to retain the hands.

A brief word about service intervals and reliability – the “new” Rolexes have (presumably) improved tolerances, together with changes to the lubricant used on the mechanism. A combination of the two suggest service intervals of ten years, but in your case, unless the watch is behaving badly, I’d take it to seven or even eight. In 1988, the (acceptable) level of time keeping was up to 90 seconds a month. It’s pointless to challenge Rolex over that figure, though an “independent” can often narrow it down for you. Roughly speaking, this equates to + or – 3 seconds a day. As long as this is a constant, it gets certified as “superlative chronometer”. The thing is defined as “constant”, therefore predictable – that’s what counts.

It is recommended that you wind the watch by hand as least once a month, especially if not worn during that period. It just keeps the lubricants moving, and prevents the watch from sticking.

Congratulations on a nice watch – together, you will go far ….
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:57 AM   #62
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
CaveDweller - Thanks for your kind advice and taking the time to write such a helpful post 🙂

I didn't really go in there feeling particularly pleased I had a Rolex - I was just thinking they might offer about £2000 which I think I might have accepted at the time as being a bit better than 50% depreciation. I know better now!

I think you're right they probably were checking if it was fake. He kept asking me if I had the box and 'papers'... I said yes but obviously not with me and he seemed unconvinced as he asked me again more than once. I'm wondering if they weren't interested in it because they thought it was fake or stolen (I am quite young and maybe don't fit their profile of a Rolex owner? And also I made a fuss saying they were not to open it up) and so they didn't want to risk it and therefore claimed there was a scratch as an excuse to reject it? 🤔

But as can be seen from my pics I am the original owner and obviously the watch is genuine otherwise Rolex would not have accepted it. 🙂

Anyway it all worked out well in the end and I am so glad they didn't want it as I almost could have let it go too cheaply!
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:14 AM   #63
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Oh, and for anyone else looking to get their watch serviced by Rolex in London...

as you can see from my pic, the current turnaround time is 3 months (date received 3 Nov 2016, date service completed 2 Feb '17)

Hope that's helpful to know :)
Old 10 April 2018, 08:51 AM   #64
Nextgenmom
"TRF" Member

No More Glowing Hands

I was reading this thread because my crystal is so scratched... I can barely read the time. A result of my keys and phone falling next to the driver’s seat... between the belt and center console.

However, someone asked if the hands would still glow if they had them replaced. Sadly, no.

I also own a few Tags. When my now 20-something children were in grade school, I had to replace the hands on one of the Tags and I could no longer see what time it was when someone woke up. I complained, but the company told me that Congress (in their infinite wisdom - not thinking about midnight and mothers of four) decided that the metal they were made out of was too dangerous and now we have what is essentially solar hands. They supposedly charge in the lights and only glow for a short time. Unfortunately, it’s not when I need to see the time, but when the lights go out.

They will let us continue to consume saccharine, but let’s avoid the next scandal of glowing watch hands. OOH!
Nextgenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:42 AM   #65
John DSSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea, Hulk, YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
UPDATE:

Ok I took it to Rolex St James London, they were really nice and the initial assessment is that there is NO scratch on the glass 🙂

As documented - only scratches and marks on the case and bracelet, as expected from normal wear, also they said the crown and bezel is marked which I've never noticed, but as you can see they have not listed any scratch on the glass.

I'm mighty relieved. The lesson I've learned is that high street secondhand watch dealers are not always to be trusted. I'm not sure why they would deliberately lie about a scratch on the glass? Or maybe they were implying it was a fake and that the glass is scratched because they think it's mineral glass. Or maybe they genuinely mistook a surface mark for a scratch 🤔

The other thing to mention is that Rolex said the standard cost of service for this model of watch is £470. This means the AD surcharges an extra £35 for handling as they quoted me £505. I would recommend taking it to Rolex directly, also they treat you very nice. Anyway they said it will be like new when I get it back and it will come with a fresh 2 year warranty although I doubt I'll need it as I never did for the original warranty when I bought it new 🙂
Goldsmith wanted £575 for sending my cousin's sub date in for service.
I'll tell him to take it down to ST James
John DSSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:24 AM   #66
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

scratch on Rolex glass (maybe) - what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DSSD View Post
Goldsmith wanted £575 for sending my cousin's sub date in for service.

I'll tell him to take it down to ST James

Whoa that’s quite a bit more than I paid last year, although mine’s only a sub without date I believe all the sports models are the same price?

Anyway the high street ADs do charge extra for handling and insurance on your behalf, I believe. I definitely suggest taking it to Rolex in London personally. They offer to send it back to you by tracked delivery although i collected it myself as it seems the safest option and you can check it over yourself there and then.

When they give you the definitive quote after further inspection, they do state optional advisory as well as essential... a bit like for your car... so it may be extra on top of the basic service eg for my watch they advised essential to replace crown, and optional to replace hands.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2018, 10:44 AM   #67
wolffram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
My 2015 SubC has a scratch on the crystal. I have no idea how it got there, and am also surprised it happened. Unlike your scratch, mine is here to stay ��, at least until it gets its first service anyway. I’ve learned to live with it ����
wolffram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 10:45 AM   #68
wolffram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Oh, and my Black Bay also has a scratched crystal now too! Something tells me I’m too hard on my watches!!!
wolffram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 12:40 PM   #69
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
1. It's a preowned watch now.
2. The pawnbroker has no idea what he's talking about. Absolutely none.
3. Rolex wanting to gouge you for a full overhaul + hand replacement on a 6yr old running watch is ridiculous. The 5 year service interval thing is also BS. Authorised Rolex Dealer staff will understandably agree to anything that generates commission. Simple business, and if you agree to that lot then you sir are haemorrhaging £££s.
My advice to you - Find a reputatble prestige watch dealer to get close to market value. scratches and accuracy are negligible when it comes to preowned watches and they'll likely give it a quick refinish and regulating before they sell it.
Bravo! Man, that AD is giving our dear Rolex brother some bad advice indeed.

As for buying a full service, hands, non-existent scratches..and then *not* wearing it, well that's up to the OP.

If it was me, I'd have just ignored the original 'scratch' and enjoyed a fine Swiss timepiece.

But, hey! That's just me.
M

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 07:35 PM   #70
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Bravo! Man, that AD is giving our dear Rolex brother some bad advice indeed.

As for buying a full service, hands, non-existent scratches..and then *not* wearing it, well that's up to the OP.

If it was me, I'd have just ignored the original 'scratch' and enjoyed a fine Swiss timepiece.

But, hey! That's just me.
M

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
Yeah I remember this. You're aware this was a couple of years back? Looking to sell a nice Subby and some a-hole pawnbroker trying to buy it for peanuts then an AD shaking the change from his pockets - I was fuming! I hope everything worked out for the guy.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 07:54 PM   #71
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffram View Post
Oh, and my Black Bay also has a scratched crystal now too! Something tells me I’m too hard on my watches!!!

That’s unlucky to scratch the glass on both your watches. Do you wear a diamond ring or work with tools, perhaps?

Old 12 April 2018, 08:00 PM   #72
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I remember this. You're aware this was a couple of years back? Looking to sell a nice Subby and some a-hole pawnbroker trying to buy it for peanuts then an AD shaking the change from his pockets - I was fuming! I hope everything worked out for the guy.

Thanks it did and I still have the watch. I didn’t resurrect the thread btw, I only came back to respond when I got a notification someone had posted something and it seemed only polite to reply

The other thing to mention is that Rolex London did a part-service subsequently when I dinged the side of the case. They polished out the case ding for £50 and it was a 2-week turnaround.

I mention this because I read somewhere before that Rolex always insist on a full service even if you have minor cosmetic damage. But they did a polish-only job for me. (And if anyone doesn’t believe me I have the Rolex invoice as proof)

Old 12 April 2018, 08:03 PM   #73
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
That’s unlucky to scratch the glass on both your watches. Do you wear a diamond ring or work with tools, perhaps?

And here he is. Bet you're a happy bunny with the Sub now eh? I'd go back to the jeweller with all the Rolex gear if I were you, and tell the prat what a favour he did you and the incompetent fool he is for not buying your watch for under market value. Which you'd have been quite happy with at the time, had his idiocy not compelled you to look further into it.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:03 PM   #74
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And here he is. Bet you're a happy bunny with the Sub now eh? I'd go back to the jeweller with all the Rolex gear if I were you, and tell the prat what a favour he did you and the incompetent fool he is for not buying your watch for under market value. Which you'd have been quite happy with at the time, had his idiocy not compelled you to look further into it.

Thanks O.

Yes... i had expected about 60% residual or about £2000 for it, I’m surprised how strong the demand is for the prices even for a used watch, i’m wiser now...

I did think about going back there and showing them the Rolex invoice confirming no scratch on the glass but I’m not one for one-upmanship lol...

I still have the sub but must admit I don’t really wear it much as i still find it too heavy & uncomfortable at times...hence why I don’t visit this forum a lot ...