The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 23 January 2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Good Omas Video - Makes me miss them even more!

Enjoy! Apologies if you have already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFc_A8W6l0
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
They made great pens! I suspect they will be back one day, hopefully with the same philosophy. Goulet was offering Omas right before they went under. Brian Goulet did a Skype interview with Luca Baglione and there was a brief moment that you could see the pen he was using. A Paragon noir just like the one in my collection! I was pretty excited about that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gqs38pEEwKw
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 04:08 PM   #3
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
Thanks for showing the film. Sad that OMAS was discontinued. One of the best fountain pens made. I own both a Mont Blanc and a OMAS. I prefer the OMAS to the Mont Blanc.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 01:03 AM   #4
Juantxo
Banned

Thank you, Richard. I heart Vivaldi.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 01:14 AM   #5
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
They made great pens! I suspect they will be back one day, hopefully with the same philosophy. Goulet was offering Omas right before they went under. Brian Goulet did a Skype interview with Luca Baglione and there was a brief moment that you could see the pen he was using. A Paragon noir just like the one in my collection! I was pretty excited about that.

Great interview...! Thank you for sharing.
Old 24 January 2017, 02:33 AM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Richard's post got me thinking about picking up another Omas. I found a nice example of a Maroon Milord in medium with rose gold trim on ebay. The bid was up at 1:30am here, unfortunately, with the seller in Germany. I wasn't able to make a move at the last second like usual and lost the bid. Can't win em all I guess. I did find another pen that looks promising though. I'll have to wait a few days and see how that one plays out.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 24 January 2017, 03:26 AM   #7
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Richard's post got me thinking about picking up another Omas. I found a nice example of a Maroon Milord in medium with rose gold trim on ebay. The bid was up at 1:30am here, unfortunately, with the seller in Germany. I wasn't able to make a move at the last second like usual and lost the bid. Can't win em all I guess. I did find another pen that looks promising though. I'll have to wait a few days and see how that one plays out.
They have a few at nibs.com (Classic Fountain Pens). And they look pristine.

Fountain Pen Hospital also has two Ogiva pens in their Backroom section. They look mint.
Old 24 January 2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yes. I saw Mr. Goulet's video. I think he had an almost exclusive deal with them and I am sure he was most disappointed to see them go under.

You know... Just the Omas name has to be worth a fortune. Someone should surely buy just the name, designs, stock and barrel. I have thought for some time that Visconti might carry on the name, but I am probably way off base.

If I had about 100 million more $$$s I would make a stab at it.
Old 24 January 2017, 01:32 PM   #9
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Yes. I saw Mr. Goulet's video. I think he had an almost exclusive deal with them and I am sure he was most disappointed to see them go under.

You know... Just the Omas name has to be worth a fortune. Someone should surely buy just the name, designs, stock and barrel. I have thought for some time that Visconti might carry on the name, but I am probably way off base.

If I had about 100 million more $$$s I would make a stab at it.
I don't think you'd need so much money, Richard. Mostly you'd need a nice hook like Nakaya's urushi, or Dupont's Chinese lacquer. Low numbers, high margin, and a few Internet dealers. Something uniquely and sexily Italian would do it. What could that be...?
Old 24 January 2017, 01:32 PM   #10
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage69 View Post
Thanks for showing the film. Sad that OMAS was discontinued. One of the best fountain pens made. I own both a Mont Blanc and a OMAS. I prefer the OMAS to the Mont Blanc.
Agreed! I have many MBs and every time I use one of my Omas' I sense the quality of craftsman ship that I don't with many of my pens.

I have an Omas Arco Bronze Dama and was surprised to read that there were only 53 of them made. That was when I snapped that Omas was truly hand crafted. The same with Yard O Led.

MB on the other hand.... well... who knows?
Old 24 January 2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Agreed! I have many MBs and every time I use one of my Omas' I sense the quality of craftsman ship that I don't with many of my pens.

I have an Omas Arco Bronze Dama and was surprised to read that there were only 53 of them made. That was when I snapped that Omas was truly hand crafted. The same with Yard O Led.

MB on the other hand.... well... who knows?
There is nothing unique about MB anymore. Not even limited editions as limited editions are so commonplace now. And they feel cheap and like plastic.

How about Omas with a Murano crystal type of composite that won't break easily. Or a way of cutting Carrara marble in some special way to make it light and tough. Or a Da Vinci somethings or another...
Old 24 January 2017, 01:45 PM   #12
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have used Esnipe for years and it works flawlessly. You might want to give it a try.

http://www.esnipe.com/
Old 24 January 2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
I don't think you'd need so much money, Richard. Mostly you'd need a nice hook like Nakaya's urushi, or Dupont's Chinese lacquer. Low numbers, high margin, and a few Internet dealers. Something uniquely and sexily Italian would do it. What could that be...?
Yeah... I know. I would want about $8 million for the Omas acquisition and the rest to beef up my pen collection.
Old 24 January 2017, 09:17 PM   #14
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
There is Ferrari da Varese still in small Italian makers.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 12:08 AM   #15
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Yeah... I know. I would want about $8 million for the Omas acquisition and the rest to beef up my pen collection.
I underestimated your financial savvy...!!!
Old 25 January 2017, 10:17 AM   #16
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Well I had planned to attempt one Omas incoming later in the week but, It looks like there's going to be two incoming now thanks to our forum friend Jim (jar) for making me a great deal on two pens!
Old 27 January 2017, 09:52 AM   #17
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well I had planned to attempt one Omas incoming later in the week but, It looks like there's going to be two incoming now thanks to our forum friend Jim (jar) for making me a great deal on two pens!
I certainly wish you one more Omas!

As for me... I am now officially poverty stricken.... (sigh)....!
Old 28 January 2017, 03:29 PM   #18
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I certainly wish you one more Omas!

As for me... I am now officially poverty stricken.... (sigh)....!
Thanks for the well wishes! I won the auction albeit for about $30 more than expected but still a great deal. Expect an Omas Milord Vision in blue incoming in about a week. Also the two great pens I picked up from Jim came in today. It's going to be an Omas incoming month. All Omas, all the time pic from the auction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1031.jpg (45.2 KB, 17 views)