The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 30 January 2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Mont Blanc Mechanical Pencil

Hey guys, :)

I'm having a small issue: I've been looking for a "nicer" mechanical pencil, and I've decided to go with one from Mont Blanc. I can't make up my mind regarding the model.

The Le Grande is the best looking and most comfortable one. The problem is the lead size - it's 0.9mm. I've never tested a 0.9mm pen prior to testing this during my visit to the pen store. I usually use 0.7mm lead (0.5mm breaks too easily). It felt okay and the sales women even said that the bigger lead size fits my way of writing, although that might be just regular sales talk. The lead size felt okay, I couldn't find any issues with it during my test. I'm just scared that it might feel too clumsy later on.

The smaller option would be the Meisterstück 165 (0.7mm), but it just feels too small and light, like a regular, cheaper pencil. The Starwalker Resin Mechanical Pencil on the other hand is slightly larger and heavier, but it isn't as comfortable as the Le Grande. Nor is it a Mesiterstück, so it mightn't fit perfectly with my future collection (I'll get a fountain pen soon too).

So, what do you guys say? It will be used for school work (math and writing longer texts/shorter notes).
Lord Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I have both the .7mm and .9mm and enjoy the .9mm more. The size of the pen makes it easier for me to write with, but most of all the size of the led is perfect. The .7mm can be smallish.

For everyday writing the 9 would be the way I would go again if I had to make that decision.

The Starwalker is nice, but not my cup of tea.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2017, 01:04 PM   #3
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
I grew up with mechanical pencils that commonly used 1.0 and even 1.3mm leads. Even today my most used mechanical pencils are still old colored transparent Scriptos.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Juantxo
Banned

Full disclosure: I avoid modern Montblanc pens. Just my own peeve. I feel Montblanc jumped the shark long ago. That said, most main luxury brands offer mechanical pencils. If I were after a fountain pen to match my pencil, I'd go for a Pelikan 600. Caran d'Dache has some nice sets too, as well as Aurora, Montegrappa, etc. Most those pencils are 0.07mm.

Enjoy the chase...!!!
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 05:38 AM   #5
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
I have both the .7mm and .9mm and enjoy the .9mm more. The size of the pen makes it easier for me to write with, but most of all the size of the led is perfect. The .7mm can be smallish.

For everyday writing the 9 would be the way I would go again if I had to make that decision.

The Starwalker is nice, but not my cup of tea.
You don't think that the lead feels too "clumsy" and large sometimes? One issue I've heard of is that the text might get inconsistent if you take a quick break, as the lead breaks down unevenly. Also, do you think the 0.9mm lead works for writing essays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Full disclosure: I avoid modern Montblanc pens. Just my own peeve. I feel Montblanc jumped the shark long ago. That said, most main luxury brands offer mechanical pencils. If I were after a fountain pen to match my pencil, I'd go for a Pelikan 600. Caran d'Dache has some nice sets too, as well as Aurora, Montegrappa, etc. Most those pencils are 0.07mm.

Enjoy the chase...!!!
I've already looked into Caran d'Dache and Aurora, didn't like them that much. The Pelikan 600 actually looked interesting, but my gut still says "Mont Blanc". Montegrappa isn't available here in Stockholm, as far as I know.

God, It's always like this. I find something I like, but with a small issue. The Le Grande feels perfect, if only it was available with 0.7mm lead...

Also, if I'd go with the Le Grande. How easy is it finding lead (different hardness grades) that fits it? It looks like Mont Blanc only offers HB leads.
Lord Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 06:36 AM   #6
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tomato View Post
You don't think that the lead feels too "clumsy" and large sometimes? One issue I've heard of is that the text might get inconsistent if you take a quick break, as the lead breaks down unevenly. Also, do you think the 0.9mm lead works for writing essays?

I've already looked into Caran d'Dache and Aurora, didn't like them that much. The Pelikan 600 actually looked interesting, but my gut still says "Mont Blanc". Montegrappa isn't available here in Stockholm, as far as I know.

God, It's always like this. I find something I like, but with a small issue. The Le Grande feels perfect, if only it was available with 0.7mm lead...

Also, if I'd go with the Le Grande. How easy is it finding lead (different hardness grades) that fits it? It looks like Mont Blanc only offers HB leads.
Pentel has a wide range of leads. And Amazon always comes to the rescue. For years I've used Rotring and Pentel mechanical pencils, with 0.5mm 2B leads. You don't have to press too hard with the soft lead. Great stuff while in college.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Try the MB .9mm.

It is a wonderful example of a pencil and the best MB has ever delivered in my never to be humble opinion.
Old 1 February 2017, 05:45 AM   #8
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
While we are on the topic of MB Pencils, I thought I'd ask a question, and hopefully not derail the thread.

I have a Meisterstuck pencil and it's the one that uses the 0.5mm leads. However I've noticed that when I advance the lead it slides back into the pencil when writing. It never did this before with the same type of lead before (Pentel AIN HB). Do you think I have a mechanical issue? Or should I try a different brand of lead?
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
While we are on the topic of MB Pencils, I thought I'd ask a question, and hopefully not derail the thread.

I have a Meisterstuck pencil and it's the one that uses the 0.5mm leads. However I've noticed that when I advance the lead it slides back into the pencil when writing. It never did this before with the same type of lead before (Pentel AIN HB). Do you think I have a mechanical issue? Or should I try a different brand of lead?
That should not happen.

Get it looked at. They are really wonderful pencils when working correctly.

My best wishes!!!