The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2017, 09:20 AM   #31
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1 View Post
I took my 16610LV in to Fine Swiss Watch Repair for a service in Chicago August 31st 2016. I based my decision to go there on reviews here and Google etc.

My 4 voice mails over 3 months have gone ignored and we are now in getting close to 6 months out.

If he didn't have a good reputation, I'd have assumed I'd been robbed at this point.

It's a long drive, hard to park and would require a day off to go and see him... assuming he'll be there if I show up.

Is this common? What do you suggest?
Go attempt to get your watch back ASAP. No communication in any way shape or form is a BIG red flag! I hope all turns out well
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 09:31 AM   #32
OgSnowflake
Banned

I'd have snapped after 6 weeks no call no answer... 6 months!!! Is when you start googling home addresses and finding his ass.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 09:52 AM   #33
treblarefils
"TRF" Member

on the map it looks like the actual rolex sevice center is just around the corner.....no words. wow
treblarefils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 10:20 AM   #34
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Did he give you a timing estimate? I would've lost my patience long ago, but don't know what expectation he set.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 02:49 PM   #35
TeeBoi
"TRF" Member

As others have said; you have a lot of patience.

I wish you all the best and I hope you get your property back!
TeeBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 02:51 PM   #36
KNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Six months is ridiculous...?? Evidently you have never owned and sent a Patek Philippe for service. I respectfully recommend that you don't incur in that tremendous mistake.
Ah yes, I have heard this about Patek Philippe. It is true that I've never had the pleasure of owning one or the apparent displeasure of having one serviced. I suppose we're somewhat spoiled with Rolex series being relatively quick by comparison.
KNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 03:13 PM   #37
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

6 months with no response?! No way. I'd be loosing my mind and would have driven there by now. And it's not a Patek...it's a Rolex. If Patek service times take 6 months that would be ok by me. Typically it's 4 to 6 weeks for a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 03:42 PM   #38
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Positive thoughts for a positive outcome are headed your way
Old 3 February 2017, 04:28 PM   #39
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Hopefully he is just back logged..sometimes these independents..get a run of watches..and with no outside help..things can take time..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 05:25 PM   #40
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

this guy might know how to service watches but he needs a lesson in how to treat people, and probably a few in how to run a business. He gives inaccurate time frames to get the piece in the door, then he acts like the people paying him are something stuck to the bottom of his shoe. I would rather go to the back of someone else's line and tell this guy he's the south end of a northbound horse.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 05:39 PM   #41
MonBK
Banned

His shop seems to be a crack in the wall?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:02 AM   #42
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

Update?
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:06 AM   #43
psv
"TRF" Member

Get your watch back now.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:10 AM   #44
desidd
"TRF" Member

As others have stated you have about 5 months more patience than I would have had with no contact. Hope it works out for you. After you get your watch back, I would leave a review of the shop in the reviews section.
desidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:13 AM   #45
racer24
Banned

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
before you go there to get your watch back, try to bring a watch guy (someone who knows rolex movement) with you. when you get there, assuming your watch is still there, exam the watch movement closely and make sure they didn't swap any parts. best of luck!
racer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:19 AM   #46
Yurigs
"TRF" Member

i'd bring out the inner demons for a reckoning 1 month in if this happened to me
Yurigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 12:53 PM   #47
marmalade1
"TRF" Member

Wow. I turn away for a few days and I've got 5 pages of comments!

Thanks team.

The update: I've left polite voice-mails every working day now since I first posted here. No reply.

I calmly asked him to just send the watch back, finished or not. I asked him to call me either way as I want to hear from him.

I left essentially the same message every time. I'm using my cell phone so as to keep track of calls accurately. I'm believing the one bad review on Yelp.

For a man who receives such praise, his service has been very poor - especially for a service that, aside from a polish, is hard to assess.

The watch had started losing 15m or so every few days and then 2h one night. It was time. He assured me that it was nothing to worry about and was most likely that a service was due. He said he'd call if more was needed.

That was August 31st 2016.

Maybe I'll head in tomorrow AM.

Thank you for the support. I'll keep you posted.

PD
marmalade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 01:59 PM   #48
swils8610

Man I'd be there the moment they opened tomorrow! Keep us informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 02:35 PM   #49
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Wow. I turn away for a few days and I've got 5 pages of comments!

Thanks team.

The update: I've left polite voice-mails every working day now since I first posted here. No reply.

I calmly asked him to just send the watch back, finished or not. I asked him to call me either way as I want to hear from him.

I left essentially the same message every time. I'm using my cell phone so as to keep track of calls accurately. I'm believing the one bad review on Yelp.

For a man who receives such praise, his service has been very poor - especially for a service that, aside from a polish, is hard to assess.

The watch had started losing 15m or so every few days and then 2h one night. It was time. He assured me that it was nothing to worry about and was most likely that a service was due. He said he'd call if more was needed.

That was August 31st 2016.

Maybe I'll head in tomorrow AM.

Thank you for the support. I'll keep you posted.

PD
Good luck tomorrow. We're all "rooting" for you and are anxious to hear how it goes.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 09:41 PM   #50
pdk9
"TRF" Member

Please go and check on your watch. Hopefully just a very busy shop that has poor communication skills... good luck.
pdk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 10:43 PM   #51
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I'm sure I wouldn't be happy. I'm not happy waiting 6 weeks for the RSC. I'm sure your watch is OK. Just not sure how much longer you'll have to wait. Hope it won't be too much longer.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:21 AM   #52
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
hi op. it might be a good idea to take your watch paperwork, purchase receipt etc with you in case you have the need to visit the local police after going to the shop.
Old 8 February 2017, 10:17 AM   #53
marmalade1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk9 View Post
Please go and check on your watch. Hopefully just a very busy shop that has poor communication skills... good luck.
Bingo.

Drove to see him. Glad he was in the shop.

I told him I'm here to collect my watch, and that I'm not sure it is even finished as I've not heard back from him.

He took my receipt and a moment later... he looked surprised that he'd not got to it yet!

He told me he's just so busy. I told him I'd not heard back from him after my 3 month, 4 month, 5 month and now daily calls. Of course, I apologized for all the calls (very British of me). He apologized for not getting back to me as he "Doesn't listen to voice-mails (!) as it's always someone trying to move up the line when others have been waiting longer".

I replied, "You mean others have waited longer than 5 1/4 months!? ". He seemed to have noticed his mis-step, and assured me that this was uncommon.

He showed me an article from a newspaper staying that watch repair/ servicing is shrinking greatly and demand outstrips supply.

He asked me if I still wanted him to service the watch. I paused for a long time. No thanks, the RSC will have it done in 2 weeks in-house; a mild rebuke to the supply / demand argument.

He offered to have it finished by next week when I could pick it up. I explained the inconvenience and cost of visiting... hence calling. He offered to ship... i asked about costs, then he offered to ship for free.

I repeated the stipulations: Next week. Free shipping. Agreed.

I paid him to save further waiting. We shook on it.

I suggested he address the dozens of daily voice mails by switching to email, which is recorded, searchable and you can use generic answers by copying and pasting. He claims that's beyond his technical know how.

We talked about watches for a few moments. I asked him to show me how to remove by bezel to get sand out, he demonstrated, paying attention to replacement.

I can't help but like him. Partly as I would like his job. But... oh my! Customer service really has been demonstrably poor. My watch had not even caught his attention as being behind until he saw the date on the brown bag!

I'm glad to have gotten through to him, but even then, what if I need anything that would normally be done under warranty by the RSC?

This thing had better look and perform great when I get it back.

Thank you for your support, especially the offer to walk over and talk to him.

PD
marmalade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:04 PM   #54
Tony64
"TRF" Member

No offense intended, and glad that you're satisfied with the resolution, but there's no way in hell that I'd be leaving that shop without my watch. Even if he offered the service for free.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:09 PM   #55
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Bingo.

Drove to see him. Glad he was in the shop.

I told him I'm here to collect my watch, and that I'm not sure it is even finished as I've not heard back from him.

He took my receipt and a moment later... he looked surprised that he'd not got to it yet!

He told me he's just so busy. I told him I'd not heard back from him after my 3 month, 4 month, 5 month and now daily calls. Of course, I apologized for all the calls (very British of me). He apologized for not getting back to me as he "Doesn't listen to voice-mails (!) as it's always someone trying to move up the line when others have been waiting longer".

I replied, "You mean others have waited longer than 5 1/4 months!? ". He seemed to have noticed his mis-step, and assured me that this was uncommon.

He showed me an article from a newspaper staying that watch repair/ servicing is shrinking greatly and demand outstrips supply.

He asked me if I still wanted him to service the watch. I paused for a long time. No thanks, the RSC will have it done in 2 weeks in-house; a mild rebuke to the supply / demand argument.

He offered to have it finished by next week when I could pick it up. I explained the inconvenience and cost of visiting... hence calling. He offered to ship... i asked about costs, then he offered to ship for free.

I repeated the stipulations: Next week. Free shipping. Agreed.

I paid him to save further waiting. We shook on it.

I suggested he address the dozens of daily voice mails by switching to email, which is recorded, searchable and you can use generic answers by copying and pasting. He claims that's beyond his technical know how.

We talked about watches for a few moments. I asked him to show me how to remove by bezel to get sand out, he demonstrated, paying attention to replacement.

I can't help but like him. Partly as I would like his job. But... oh my! Customer service really has been demonstrably poor. My watch had not even caught his attention as being behind until he saw the date on the brown bag!

I'm glad to have gotten through to him, but even then, what if I need anything that would normally be done under warranty by the RSC?

This thing had better look and perform great when I get it back.

Thank you for your support, especially the offer to walk over and talk to him.

PD
You are better man than I'd be in that situation. Six months it's a long long time OP.

It sounds to me like he's just giving you more excuses. For your sake, I hope you in fact have a complete, working LV back on your wrist in a week. Does he stock genuine Rolex parts? You mentioned polish, why are you polishing your watch?

I know I wouldn't trust by LV to someone with poor communication skills and questionable business practices.

How did you find this place anyway?

Best of luck to you
Old 8 February 2017, 12:13 PM   #56
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
No offense intended, and glad that you're satisfied with the resolution, but there's no way in hell that I'd be leaving that shop without my watch. Even if he offered the service for free.
Agreed. OP, what is going through your head?
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:17 PM   #57
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
I'm speechless...
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:23 PM   #58
JacksonStone
Banned

Subscribed. I want to find out how this ends.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:27 PM   #59
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I hate to say this but they deserve each other.
Old 8 February 2017, 12:30 PM   #60
Eatapp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Blue
You are very level headed, we need more people like that in this world, kudos to you! Good luck and keep us posted!
Eatapp is offline   Reply With Quote