The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Credor911
Banned

Grand Seiko rumors

Rumor has it that Seiko will drop the "SEIKO" logo from their Grand Seiko watches next year so that there is only the Grand Seiko logo on the dial. I think this would be a positive move and will help the brand. The first Grand Seiko watch ever made had only the Grand Seiko logo.
Credor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
About time.

The Grand Seiko dial always had a conflict of fonts for me.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 10:29 PM   #3
waspy1
Banned

Could also do with ditching GS on the dial. No need for seiko, grand seiko and GS on the dial. I also don't care for the funky gothic script which seems very out of place. Only comic sans would be worse. Despite this, I love grand seiko - looking forward to seeing the new dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 04:51 PM   #4
rolehex

Interesting, Thanks for sharing. I think that's a wise business decision but it never bothered me. But if they could make the cases a tad bit thinner I'd be really happy.
rolehex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 05:28 PM   #5
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
Could also do with ditching GS on the dial. No need for seiko, grand seiko and GS on the dial. I also don't care for the funky gothic script which seems very out of place. Only comic sans would be worse. Despite this, I love grand seiko - looking forward to seeing the new dials.

Or maybe ditch the "Seiko" and the "Grand Seiko" and just keep the "GS". Worked for IWC.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 03:10 PM   #6
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Any other rumors? Looking to get a snowflake or blizzard but may wait if there's anything interesting
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 01:37 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Which model number is the Blizzard? Pics please?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 07:09 AM   #8
PJ S
Banned

The Blizzard was a limited edition model, so will be harder to find brand new – its reference is SBGA125
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 01:01 AM   #9
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Where did you hear this rumor?
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 01:04 AM   #10
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
I buy watches because I personally like them. I do not care what people around me think, yet I have never been able to spend 5k+ on a Grand Seiko even though I like them a lot. For me personally it feels like the sarb033/035 are too similar of a Grand Seiko costing the tenfold of the Grand Seiko to explain to myself to buy.

Maybe now if they make an actual distinction that it would be easier to buy a GS. Hope so, because I really want a GS.
Old 17 February 2017, 03:57 AM   #11
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavv160 View Post
I buy watches because I personally like them. I do not care what people around me think, yet I have never been able to spend 5k+ on a Grand Seiko even though I like them a lot. For me personally it feels like the sarb033/035 are too similar of a Grand Seiko costing the tenfold of the Grand Seiko to explain to myself to buy.

Maybe now if they make an actual distinction that it would be easier to buy a GS. Hope so, because I really want a GS.
I agree.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 03:43 AM   #12
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR/Jubilee
That's why in America we have Lexus, Acura and Infinity. In the rest of the world a Lexus is just a premium Toyota. I would welcome the dial change.
Wingman244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 09:06 AM   #13
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman244 View Post
That's why in America we have Lexus, Acura and Infinity. In the rest of the world a Lexus is just a premium Toyota. I would welcome the dial change.
x2
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 11:01 AM   #14
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
I dunno 5G's for a Seiko I just don't get it I guess its huge in Japan

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 01:01 PM   #15
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post

How much of a 'Swiss made' watch do you get for 5k? Not much of one, certainly nowhere near the standard of finishing quality you can expect from GS.

From a quality point of view, GS vastly outperforms any Swiss brand I can think of at the same price point. I'm not a fan of all their styles but if you can find a look you like then it will give immense satisfaction.

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 03:52 PM   #16
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Classic
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 11:07 PM   #17
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub

I really don't mind them as they are.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 12:04 AM   #18
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post

A beauty!
Old 27 February 2017, 12:58 AM   #19
iim7v7im7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Less each year...
For me, I like the fact that the dial says "SEIKO" boldly. When traveling through airport security (placing my watch in a basket going through x-ray) or just walking on the street having the stealth of a Grand Seiko in a travel watch is a POSITIVE to me. As the owner, I know the level of quality on my wrist and I don't need others to know it...

Old 27 February 2017, 05:44 AM   #20
Credor911
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
For me, I like the fact that the dial says "SEIKO" boldly. When traveling through airport security (placing my watch in a basket going through x-ray) or just walking on the street having the stealth of a Grand Seiko in a travel watch is a POSITIVE to me. As the owner, I know the level of quality on my wrist and I don't need others to know it...

I agree completely.
Credor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 10:56 AM   #21
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't know I will believe such rumors. The whole point of the Seiko logo on the GS line is too deep to even warrant a change at this juncture. I don't see they are expecting huge line of sale for Grand Seiko than already is. Its going to be a niche line and will continue to remain so.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 12:21 PM   #22
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post

Great watch. GS or Seiko GS, if I like it I buy it and I happen to like them lots.

Old 28 February 2017, 07:03 AM   #23
second time
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
I'm in the 'don't change' camp. You either like them or not. Even if they changed the branding on the dial, the same people would say 'oh it's just a Seiko'.

Yes it is just a Seiko, and I love it!
Old 28 February 2017, 08:52 AM   #24
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

As someone I met wearing one who works for Hodinkee said "You have to be in the know to appreciate GS". You can't fault ignorance per se, but it must be a very sad existence to be burdened by a prejudice born out of ignorance and a lack of curiosity to discover and learn.

What GS does need to do is to consider how to migrate it's identity (logo, dial graphics etc.) to more clearly communicate quality. It also needs to develop a marketing campaign that fuels a curiosity to discover and learn about the brand's quality - a little like the first Lexus campaign in the US - and to develop a brand ambassador social media campaign harnessing the kind of enthusiasts you find on this forum.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 09:10 AM   #25
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credor911 View Post
I agree completely.
There's no question that Sekio makes great watches whether we call it a grand seiko or a GS or just a seiko. However marketing always rules and brand recognition is huge in any industry the watch industry is no exception there's a reason why gs s don't hold their value anywhere near what a Rolex would. The brand name is huge especially in North America where people are highly influenced by all marketing ploys and advertisement I think it's a great move that seiko is making a change to better Market their product and frankly think it's about time.

I think one other very positive move would be not making watches two similar to their grand Seiko line I've included a picture here of my Seiko presage a beautiful watch and itself but for what it retails and the similarity to their top line I don't think helps them sell their premium line none the less I believe that they will come around at some point and will be a watch that holds its value in terms of monetary value we all know their product is top-notch but the proof is always in the pudding.

Although there are subtle differences in the pictures one is black with a date one is blue no date however I feel you cannot ignore the many similarities between the two
Old 28 February 2017, 09:23 AM   #26
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
There's no question that Sekio makes great watches whether we call it a grand seiko or a GS or just a seiko. However marketing always rules and brand recognition is huge in any industry the watch industry is no exception there's a reason why gs s don't hold their value anywhere near what a Rolex would. The brand name is huge especially in North America where people are highly influenced by all marketing ploys and advertisement I think it's a great move that seiko is making a change to better Market their product and frankly think it's about time.

I think one other very positive move would be not making watches two similar to their grand Seiko line I've included a picture here of my Seiko presage a beautiful watch and itself but for what it retails and the similarity to their top line I don't think helps them sell their premium line none the less I believe that they will come around at some point and will be a watch that holds its value in terms of monetary value we all know their product is top-notch but the proof is always in the pudding.

Although there are subtle differences in the pictures one is black with a date one is blue no date however I feel you cannot ignore the many similarities between the two

It would also be nice if they made a few more choices without a date like the beauty pictured.
Old 28 February 2017, 09:47 AM   #27
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
It would also be nice if they made a few more choices without a date like the beauty pictured.
Please feel free to have a look at the thread I just posted I put two pictures of very similar watches one is a GS one is a Seiko please let me know what you think I truly value your opinion in fact I was thinking of buying and GS in the next year
Old 28 February 2017, 11:24 AM   #28
speedmaster73
Banned

Grand Seiko in any form is a WIS watch. Its meant to impress the owner not the public.
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 12:56 PM   #29
Atleo
Banned

Seiko is psycho if they do. Ha! Get it? Seiko... psycho. No? Whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Atleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:38 PM   #30
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
You hit the nail right on the head! That's exactly how I feel.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote