The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 February 2017, 10:40 PM   #1
JElvis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex Website re: Submariner Accuracy

Good morning all. My new Sub C is running -1.8 seconds per day now. Very accurate. Interestingly, I always thought COSC certification guaranteed -4/+6, which I assume is still true. So, I went to the Rolex website and it says:

"Precision
-2/+2 sec/day, after casing"

First, I find this very cool as my watch is consistent at -1.8 per day (14 days now). I also find it interesting that they would list this as the accuracy. Just my own brain turning here, but would that mean they would actually "fix" or "regulate it" at no charge if it ran, say, -3/+3, still well within specs but not within their "precision" statement on the Rolex website? That is just me rambling, I doubt I would ever take it in for -3/+3, etc. But just made me think. I am mostly excited that mine is -1.8 and the website clearly says that this is within the expected precision of -2/+2. Very, very cool. Been a Rolex lurker/owner for a while but never saw this on their website.
JElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 10:54 PM   #2
speedmaster73
Banned

Yes. This was done a little over a year ago. Rolex watches that came with RED tag are -4/+6 and the new GREEN tags are -2/+2.
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 11:02 PM   #3
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Congrats! And yes, some folks have sent theirs to RSC for being outside the new definition of -2/+2 and I believe Rolex has regulated them within spec free of charge.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 11:40 PM   #4
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
Perhaps just the wording but COSC doesn't guarantee anything. COSC is a certification that the watch meets the requirements to operate within the specified range of the certification.

They should adjust for free. My AD adjusts watches and doesn't charge me.
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 11:55 PM   #5
Xerxes77
Banned

Yes, this is Rolex!!!
You can regulated the accuracy of the Sub depending on the position in which you leave overnight.
My Sub 116613 if stay with dial down and up work +1 sec.
If are with crown up or down -1 sec.
In this mode my Sub in one mounth have -3 sec!!!
Try this!!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 12:28 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
Yes. This was done a little over a year ago. Rolex watches that came with RED tag are -4/+6 and the new GREEN tags are -2/+2.
What the new spec means in the real world first the bare uncased movement is tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE of -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period.And in the first 10 days of testing the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds on any single 24 hour period and still pass the COSC test to get its certifaction. After movement is shipped back to Rolex perhaps stored for weeks, months, or even a year before its matched to a case.Rolex then further tests on a timing machine to this new -2+2 AVERAGE spec,what does this mean well at time of testing movement did comply to the new spec.But this is not a guarantee movement will perform exactly the same every day for life.It's not like they have put some sort of magic phoo phoo dust in the case to make them run better .As most movements are basically the same as the 3 series first brought out in 1988,fact all the Rolex movements since the 15 series could with careful regulation match this new average daily spec, as it's all down to how well the movement is regulated ,and how the watch owners wearing habits reflect in the daily running of the watch.

Gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions.And in those different positions there will be very slight deviations in the timekeeping.Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times.On the wrist the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,mainspring power-reserve, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no and remember there are 86400 seconds in a day so will 2 seconds difference really matter only for the marketing..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 12:32 AM   #7
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
What the new spec means in the real world first the bare uncased movement is tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE of -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period.And in the first 10 days of testing the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds on any single 24 hour period and still pass the COSC test to get its certifaction. After movement is shipped back to Rolex perhaps stored for weeks, months, or even a year before its matched to a case.Rolex then further tests on a timing machine to this new -2+2 AVERAGE spec,what does this mean well at time of testing movement did comply to the new spec.But this is not a guarantee movement will perform exactly the same every day for life.It's not like they have put some sort of magic phoo phoo dust in the case to make them run better .As most movements are basically the same as the 3 series first brought out in 1988,fact all the Rolex movements since the 15 series could with careful regulation match this new average daily spec, as it's all down to how well the movement is regulated ,and how the watch owners wearing habits reflect in the daily running of the watch.

Gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions.And in those different positions there will be very slight deviations in the timekeeping.Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times.On the wrist the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,mainspring power-reserve, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no and remember there are 86400 seconds in a day so will 2 seconds difference really matter..
Agreed Padi. I was just stating the difference between the red tag and green tag.

My point being that 'technically' only those Rolex with GREEN Tags are subjected to the -2/+2 standard. Red tags are subjected to the -4/+6 standard.

A Rolex purchased in 2012 is not obligated to adhere to Rolexes NEW standard.

Old 13 February 2017, 12:42 AM   #8
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
The question I have wondered about is that when they switched from the red tags to the green and changed the specs, how did they account for the pieces already in stores? Did the Rolex fairy come down and ensure everything was at+2/-2 or did they just figure most people wouldn't care about it?
Old 13 February 2017, 12:42 AM   #9
mactruck
"TRF" Member

My AD told me Rolex told him not to talk about the COSC rating as they are sometimes not accurate. LOL.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:10 AM   #10
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no and remember there are 86400 seconds in a day so will 2 seconds difference really matter only for the marketing..
Wish we could make this a banner at the top of the forum... so very true.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:14 AM   #11
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Wish we could make this a banner at the top of the forum... so very true.
for better or worse luxury watch manufacturers have deemed timekeeping an important thing in 'marketing' their watches....

the 'next level' APs, PPs, VCs, ALS's of the world get away without doing this simply because of the superior finishing of their movements, 22 karat gold rotors etc...
Old 13 February 2017, 01:44 AM   #12
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
The question I have wondered about is that when they switched from the red tags to the green and changed the specs, how did they account for the pieces already in stores? Did the Rolex fairy come down and ensure everything was at+2/-2 or did they just figure most people wouldn't care about it?
Yes....I had the same thought at that time. My understanding was that all ADs were shipped green tags and told to simply switch them out for the red. I presume that Rolex would then regulate any not meeting the -2/+2 if the customer made a fuss about it. Soon after the new specs were announced I bought a BNIB DJ (36mm) that proudly displayed the green tag. Accuracy was indeed within -2/+2 but I was never sure if maybe that was just the luck of the draw. A few months ago I bought the new model DJ (41mm) so there was no doubt it was fresh from the factory, manufactured and adjusted as per Rolex's new claims. It also is well within -2/+2.
Old 13 February 2017, 01:59 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Outstanding explanation...... This should be a sticky.
Quote:

Gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions.And in those different positions there will be very slight deviations in the timekeeping.Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times.On the wrist the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,mainspring power-reserve, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no and remember there are 86400 seconds in a day so will 2 seconds difference really matter only for the marketing..
Old 13 February 2017, 02:49 AM   #14
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Fast > Slow

For me, my Rolex is definitely within specification. My only issue is that it is on the slower side, which is what bothers me.

I would much rather have my watch 1~2 sec fast than being slow! That way and over time, i am not late to appointments and meeting! Plus being fast means I can hack to regulate rather than move the minute hand.

Do you think it will speed up over time or I should go get it regulated at my AD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SubC_Test.jpg (120.3 KB, 470 views)
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:05 AM   #15
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
. . . when they switched from the red tags to the green and changed the specs, how did they account for the pieces already in stores?
Rolex may have been adjusting watches to the new specs well before the green tags came out. That would have covered many, but not all, of the watches that were already sitting on dealers' shelves when the green tags were attached.

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 04:18 PM   #16
Skavary
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation! So the -2/+2 designation is meant to be an average? And not a measure of daily variance? That is, it may gain or lose more than 2 seconds per day but as long as the average is the the above, then it’s within specs?
Skavary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:41 PM   #17
capt_and
"TRF" Member

That's interesting. None of my recent watches have lost or gained any more than 1 sec day. I use the direction that the watch is laid overnight to get it as close to net 0 as possible. My sub was +0.7/day, WG Daytona was -0.4/day, and my DaytonaC is -0.3/day. I've have no other watches operate with this accuracy, day-in day-out, which is why I prefer Rolex.
capt_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 09:58 PM   #18
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
I would much rather have my watch 1~2 sec fast than being slow! That way and over time, i am not late to appointments and meeting! Plus being fast means I can hack to regulate rather than move the minute hand.
Before you get it regulated try laying it in different positions overnight. For me my Rolex is -0.5s/day when laying on its side with crown up and +1 s/day when laying flat dial down.
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:10 PM   #19
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
My sd has a green tag and does -4.7seconds per day

Not too fussed about it though
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 11:05 PM   #20
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I could be wrong but i believe that +2/-2 is a cumulative total in multiple positions. So if your watch runs +6 over night dial up and -4 laying on the crown, that is in spec. If you wear the watch 24/7 and on the wrist it is -5 a day, it may very well still be in spec.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 12:47 AM   #21
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnbne View Post
My sd has a green tag and does -4.7seconds per day

Not too fussed about it though
Indeed...same here... a few seconds in life is hardly worth getting too worked up about!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote