The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 February 2017, 04:47 AM   #1
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

New Member, Old(er) Rolex, Common Question

Hello Rolex Owners and Experts!

I am delighted that I found this site. I joined just this morning, and I am hoping to learn more about my old watch, and Rolex watches in general.

Back in 1985 my brother-in-law gave this watch to me (photo attached) as a graduation (college) present. I wore it for a year or so, and then it went in a drawer, and it hasn't seen daylight for 2+ decades.

I recently re-discovered it, and I took it to a local watch shop/jeweler who cleaned it and replaced the old acrylic crystal (not original) and the crown and tube (I have the original parts). It keeps time perfectly, and I would love to know more about it. I know that the band is not original (china). I would also be interested in some suggestions for a replacement band.

Here is what I do know - this stainless Oyster Perpetual is definitely older than 1985. My brother in law was in his late 50s/early 60s when he gave it to me, so it could be from the 50s or 60s perhaps. It measured 1 5/16" diameter (~33 mm). On the side it reads 1003. It does not have any writing on the face at the 6 o'clock position. No "Swiss" or "Swiss Made"...nothing. It does not seem to have any of the glow in the dark material on the face (maybe on the hour and minute hands).

I am guessing it is an "entry level" Rolex, and I would love to know more about it. How old is it? Perhaps more importantly - is it authentic (I am thinking that the repair shop would have alerted me if not - but I guess you never know)...

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex OP 1003 Stainless.jpg (86.6 KB, 563 views)
RRRolex1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 04:52 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to the Forum.

Your watch is a Rolex model 1003, likely from the early 60's.

The dial has been poorly refinished at one time.
Old 13 February 2017, 09:50 AM   #3
Gogetter
"TRF" Member

China bracelet in the photo, not a good thing.

I think the entire watch is suspect. The dial is missing "Swiss Made"
Gogetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
I'm afraid you have a Folex not a Rolex my friend. At least the bracelet. Last time I checked, Rolex watches were not made in China. Look at the position of the coronet on the dial and the alignment of of hour markers......
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:19 AM   #5
terryuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis (Toronto) View Post
I'm afraid you have a Folex not a Rolex my friend. At least the bracelet. Last time I checked, Rolex watches were not made in China. Look at the position of the coronet on the dial and the alignment of of hour markers......
Yes, the coronet is miles off.
Dial looks like one of the poorer fakes to me.
terryuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:23 AM   #6
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for sharing thoughts. I have only a little $$ in this (the cost to get it cleaned and running) so if it isn't real, c'est la vie. Nobody sold me a fake Rolex. Free is free.

I know the bracelet is not original. No question there. I put it on so it could be worn.

I too was wondering about the alignment of the markers. It seemed odd to me that they didn't align with the markers on the outer ring.

With regard to the lack of "Swiss" etc. at 6 o'clock, that too has me wondering, but there are some Rolex watches that seem to lack that mark. That is the first thing I tried to investigate.

The one fact that makes me pause to condemn it is the fact that two different repair shops have had it open - one in Philadelphia back in the 80's and one here in the Twin Cities this past year, and neither suggested that it was phony. Perhaps they couldn't tell.

Anyway - I look to learn! Keep those observations coming!
Old 13 February 2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Looks like a fake to me also. Does the second hand sweep around the dial, or does it click second by second? If the latter, it's definitely a fake. Stay on the forum - you may find yourself in a position to get a really nice lightly used Rolex. Good luck!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:26 AM   #8
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

One other thing that has had me suspicious is the printing on the dial. The bottom of the R is not on the same level.
Old 13 February 2017, 10:27 AM   #9
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

It definitely sweeps, and there is a very faint very fast tick if held to the ear.
Old 13 February 2017, 10:36 AM   #10
texex91
"TRF" Member

texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:41 AM   #11
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

Again, just to be clear, in the very first post, the origin of the bracelet is made clear. That is not in question. Why spend money on an expensive bracelet if the watch is a possible fake?
Old 13 February 2017, 11:11 AM   #12
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post

OP said in his original post that he knew the bracelet was not original:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRolex1969 View Post
Hello Rolex Owners and Experts!

I am delighted that I found this site. I joined just this morning, and I am hoping to learn more about my old watch, and Rolex watches in general.

Back in 1985 my brother-in-law gave this watch to me (photo attached) as a graduation (college) present. I wore it for a year or so, and then it went in a drawer, and it hasn't seen daylight for 2+ decades.

I recently re-discovered it, and I took it to a local watch shop/jeweler who cleaned it and replaced the old acrylic crystal (not original) and the crown and tube (I have the original parts). It keeps time perfectly, and I would love to know more about it. I know that the band is not original (china). I would also be interested in some suggestions for a replacement band.

Here is what I do know - this stainless Oyster Perpetual is definitely older than 1985. My brother in law was in his late 50s/early 60s when he gave it to me, so it could be from the 50s or 60s perhaps. It measured 1 5/16" diameter (~33 mm). On the side it reads 1003. It does not have any writing on the face at the 6 o'clock position. No "Swiss" or "Swiss Made"...nothing. It does not seem to have any of the glow in the dark material on the face (maybe on the hour and minute hands).

I am guessing it is an "entry level" Rolex, and I would love to know more about it. How old is it? Perhaps more importantly - is it authentic (I am thinking that the repair shop would have alerted me if not - but I guess you never know)...

Thank you in advance!
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:22 AM   #13
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

What Larry said.

It's not a fake, just poorly re-painted dial and China bracelet causing panic here.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:37 AM   #14
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
What Larry said.

It's not a fake, just poorly re-painted dial and China bracelet causing panic here.
No panic--just funny seeing it on Rolex.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:51 AM   #15
franklin
"TRF" Member

I'd send it off for service.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:53 AM   #16
franklin
"TRF" Member

I'd get a nice NATO strap for it, too
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:44 PM   #17
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I would have it serviced & see if a new dial could be sourced then a nice leather strap would finish the watch off nicely.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:03 AM   #18
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Dial can be found, bracelet can be replaced, this is a pretty tough crowd telling a new member he's got a fake on the basis of one blurry pic. I'm no expert but my reading here and elsewhere over the years has suggested refinished dials are not uncommon on fifty-year-old watches.

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed in some of the comments here.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:29 AM   #19
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed in some of the comments here.
No S**t
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 01:24 AM   #20
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Don’t worry – they’re a tough crowd on here, just take the advice and ignore the rest

The dial is a worryingly badly done job – every marker should be lined up, and even the Rolex crown is off its 12 spot – Rolex were (are) notoriously finicky about these things, so a replacement face is critical to restoration – that’s “if” the case and numbers match the movement and the rest of the watch once restored.

I’d take it to a trusted independent that knows his Rolexes, and find out exactly what you have before proceeding further ……
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 02:03 AM   #21
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

No worries on this end - I asked for opinions and I certainly got them! It was a bit of a roller-coaster ride for the old watch yesterday afternoon, but I am glad that it has landed on the vintage forum, with the general consensus being that it is likely authentic and probably from the early 1960s. I restore and listen to old tube-driven audio from the same time period - the watch will fit in well!

The painted dial is an interesting twist that I didn't suspect. It certainly explains a few of the questions I have had about the watch, such as the lack of "Swiss" at 6 o'clock, and the mismatch between markers and painted ticks.

I did have the watch repaired and cleaned, and at present it works wonderfully well (by my standards). I have tracked it, and over a span of five days it added only about 20 seconds. I am guessing that this is pretty darn good, but again, I am not an expert.

So my next steps are to replace the band (for now leather or NATO - maybe both), and to perhaps explore the possibility of tracking down a vintage dial. I presume this forum is the place to start.

Again - thanks for all of the input. I am OK with the fact that I have a vintage frankenstein Rolex with a somewhat checkered past. It is certainly better than not having one at all!
Old 14 February 2017, 02:09 AM   #22
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

Oh - and I agree CaveDweller - before I invest $$ in any significant restoration, I will do a bit more digging to make sure numbers match and it is worth it. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 14 February 2017, 02:44 AM   #23
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I'm going to side with the minority here: looks like a legit 1003 with a bad repaint on the dial. The dial may even be authentic, just badly repainted. I sometimes buy watches like this and have the dial re-done properly, you also have that option, if you find you like wearing it (you can even get it painted gloss black or bright white, I advise against colors because they look hokey). The resale on these isn't great because the 34mm case isn't considered all that desirable. Having said that, they're good watches and you might find you enjoy it a lot. A proper and authentic 19mm bracelet will cost between $300 and $900, depending on condition.
Old 14 February 2017, 03:17 AM   #24
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I'd suggest you outsource a good condition dial, ditch the chinese bracelet and put a decent leather strap on it.
Than you a decent looking vintage.
Old 14 February 2017, 04:40 AM   #25
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Gold-I...oAAOSw44BYg9mE
Old 14 February 2017, 04:41 AM   #26
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
I'm going to side with the minority here: looks like a legit 1003 with a bad repaint on the dial. The dial may even be authentic, just badly repainted. I sometimes buy watches like this and have the dial re-done properly, you also have that option, if you find you like wearing it (you can even get it painted gloss black or bright white, I advise against colors because they look hokey). The resale on these isn't great because the 34mm case isn't considered all that desirable. Having said that, they're good watches and you might find you enjoy it a lot. A proper and authentic 19mm bracelet will cost between $300 and $900, depending on condition.
I beg to differ, there is still a HUGE 34mm following.
Old 14 February 2017, 05:42 AM   #27
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

offrdmania, I am gratified by your comment. I have many 34mm, both Rolex and Tudor. My favorite, and it was harder to get than my red Sub, is my 6556 (fully functional, if you get my drift). The market here on the East Coast is much softer for 34mm than 36mm: perhaps you guys on the West Coast have larger, er, confidence, and don't subscribe to "bigger is better". You should see the size of the SUVs in Jersey, with added oversize rims. It's great for those of us with modest, shall we say, proportions, who enjoy a smaller, tighter wristwatch. But hereabouts, much harder to flip.
Old 14 February 2017, 06:28 AM   #28
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

Agree.

Very doubtful this is a fake.

It's a 1003 with a refinished dial and an aftermarket bracelet.

show the back of the watch and the movement if possible."

What do the numbers between the lugs read?

T
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:29 AM   #29
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
What Larry said.

R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 01:30 PM   #30
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

I just popped off the bracelet.
The serial number - 984723 - apparently suggests 1963.