The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2017, 05:13 PM   #1
ojileye
"TRF" Member

Questions on the Datejust 36

Greetings all,

I am new to the luxury watch world and will soon be a proud Rolex owner, as a result of a very generous gift from close family. Additionally, there are a few elements that are out of my hands:

- It will be a Rolex
- It will be a Datejust
- It will be two-toned (TT) Jubilee bracelet

I wish I could have had several months to conduct research and let certain aesthetic choices sit with me, but I had a short runway. After checking out several Rolex watches in person at a local mall, I was really drawn to the MOP dial with diamond markers. I know, I know... many consider it "gaudy", etc. but I found the Roman numerals to be slightly busy. The stick markers were nice but I wanted a little bit of a unique look.

So I ultimately settled for a 36 (I have thin wrists), fluted bezel, steel/gold, MOP dial, and diamond markers. I believe it'll look like this.

I'd love to have forum members chime in on their thoughts about my choice. A couple comments:

- This may very well be the only luxury watch that I own for my lifetime.
- I wanted to get something that would age well with me (I am in my 30's) over multiple decades.
- Don't see this being a daily wearer at all. Maybe once a month, wearing it for nice events (e.g. weddings).
- I like this design. I love the no-pearl-is-the-same factor, I am attracted to the rounded rectangle hour shape for the markers (if there were a non-diamond option I would have opted for it), and importantly, the design makes me happy. Hopefully I will feel the same way after many years.

Questions for you all:
- Would you feel comfortable wearing a watch like this (replete with a pearl dial and diamonds) in an office/work setting?
- Thoughts on the MOP/diamonds look for male wearers - too feminine? dependent on the outfit?
- For any other DJ owners w/ MOP/diamonds, what sort of reactions and feedback do you receive from others?
ojileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 05:40 PM   #2
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
I recently picked up a gorgeous 118239 with Roman and fluted bezel. The weight of a solid gold 36mm is impressive and substantial. Under the radar and elegant for ALL occasions. Needless to say, I absolutely love it. I buy watches to wear. I do have many other SS models but if I wanted a single watch, do-all dress(y) Rolex, the WG President would be it.

P.S. Welcome to the classiest and finest Forum on the Web! It's the people that make it this way.
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojileye View Post
Greetings all,
Questions for you all:
- Would you feel comfortable wearing a watch like this (replete with a pearl dial and diamonds) in an office/work setting?
- Thoughts on the MOP/diamonds look for male wearers - too feminine? dependent on the outfit?
- For any other DJ owners w/ MOP/diamonds, what sort of reactions and feedback do you receive from others?
First of all welcome to the fourms! I know you said this could well be your only luxury timepiece but if you hang around here too much you will eventually start planning for a second.

As to your questions:
1.) I think it is appropriate for a work / office setting.
2.) I personally don't like that combo and do think it is a little feminine, but that shouldn't stop you at all if you love it

Congrats on your soon to be watch and let us know what you choose and post some pictures when you get it
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 06:21 PM   #4
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

Dear OP,

Even if you are in you 30s. there's no harm wearing a 36mm two tone datejust. I think it will age well since that is one of your requirements.

I think its fine whether you use it as a daily watch or a once a month special occassion watch.

Personally, I would not go for MOP dial and diamond markers but from your post you are very pleased with MOP with diamond markers. So that's what matters. Congrats.
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
IMO that's a ladies watch.
I personally don't see this suitable for an office environment.

Try a 2 tone 36 mm DJ without moo and diamond markers. That should be more suitable imo.
Old 13 February 2017, 07:13 PM   #6
Danielmp007
"TRF" Member

I must say I like the watch, love the MOP and diamonds but I was going to get my fiancée one. If you want a timeless Rolex have you had a look at the Champagne diamond dial?
Danielmp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 07:26 PM   #7
ojileye
"TRF" Member

Champagne feels a little too old-school for me, but that is just my personal taste. My next preferred configuration would be swapping out the MOP with a Silver dial.

Thanks for the comments so far, it is interesting perspective to take from more seasoned luxury watch fans. And yes, to Bigsykedaddy's point, I certainly acknowledge that while I currently think this will be my only watch... the appetite for a second could certainly grow as I age.
Old 13 February 2017, 10:48 PM   #8
Datejus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 116234
I personally wouldn't opt for the diamond dial as it does tend to be very feminine. My personal choices would be either a black or white dial.

If you're set on the MOP I guess you could get it without the diamonds. I could see it being worn by a man then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two tone DJ's.jpg (55.4 KB, 481 views)
Datejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 08:34 AM   #9
ojileye
"TRF" Member

The purchase has been made. As I had written, the gift bearers opted for a TT DJ 36 w/ MOP, diamonds. I've seen it and had it sized but won't officially take it home with me until several weeks from now.

IMO it looks great in person (better than the stock photo in the original post) but quite unlikely this style can be pulled off in anything less casual than a dress shirt. I'll post some pics when I can!
Old 20 February 2017, 09:15 AM   #10
CLTRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
Quote:
The purchase has been made. As I had written, the gift bearers opted for a TT DJ 36 w/ MOP, diamonds. I've seen it and had it sized but won't officially take it home with me until several weeks from now.

IMO it looks great in person (better than the stock photo in the original post) but quite unlikely this style can be pulled off in anything less casual than a dress shirt. I'll post some pics when I can!

Very feminine watch - looks great on a lady's wrist and the 36mm Is a perfect female size as well. Big congrats !!
♕ Daytona - 116520
♕ Explorer II - 16570
CLTRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 10:11 AM   #11
ojileye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTRolex View Post
Very feminine watch - looks great on a lady's wrist and the 36mm Is a perfect female size as well. Big congrats !!
Not sure if you're trying to be facetious but I am male and am the recipient of the watch... the ones who have purchased the watch are in-laws and made the final call (with my input). Anyways, as I've mentioned, I'm relatively new to the luxury watch world but I'm quickly gathering there is no shortage of different personal tastes and what matters in the end is really what one is comfortable wearing.

Would still be great to hear from other DJ owners who have this particular style if there are others on this forum!
Old 20 February 2017, 10:38 AM   #12
Maiden
"TRF" Member

The dj 36mm is a great watch. I think the version you picked is quite dressy with the MOP and diamonds so I think it would be great for formal events and yes suitable in the office if you wear a suit or jacket with sleeves. Not for t shirts though, although this is only my personal taste. Great watch, congrats and welcome to the forums!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 11:10 AM   #13
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
i had a DJ TT and found it to be one of the most comfortable watches in my collection... i saying that i wore it to work once and had no end of comments on it as a bling piece (I have had the same response to my Day Date)

I moved on my DJ because im not into bling as such and it attracted unwanted attention(not great in my work role..borderline dangerous lol) and i only wear my DD in formal environments.

If you can pull it off the kudos to you... awesome watch and it never goes out of style bit with Diamonds and MOP its a bit hard to dress down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg datejust.jpg (129.0 KB, 316 views)
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 11:31 AM   #14
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Congrats on the incoming. Quite a gift, especially from in-laws! You married up
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 12:09 PM   #15
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Congrats on your watch! From what you have said and how you seem to feel, that watch is perfect for you! It doesn't matter what other people prefer on their watch or what they think is feminine. If you like the watch then that's all that matters. Do not let anyone persuade you into getting something that you yourself don't like the best.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:20 PM   #16
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Actually I do like this combo. It is less common than other configurations but I find it very classy. In Asia, people love gold, MOP and diamond. Go for it. As far as wearing it at the office, I don't see why shouldn't you. Did your colleagues bought it for you? Do whatever makes you happy and don't care about what people think. Just make sure your superiors don't have anything inferior LOL!!
36mm is discreet and not as flashy as 40 or 42mm
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 09:27 PM   #17
BravoOne
Banned

I can see this watch on the wrist of Liberace:)
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 10:14 PM   #18
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Congrats on the anticipated (very generous) gift.

Personally, if you can i'd lose the diamonds.

After that, why keep it for special occasions? It's all the watch you'll ever need. Wear it every single day of your life - you only live once!

Certainly IS suitable in an office environment. Just without those diamonds i'm afraid.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 11:36 PM   #19
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I do not like diamonds (leave them to ladies) and neither pearl dials. However if you like this configuration, why not? Office, sure why not, it is your watch. Wearing it only once a month? Wear it daily, it is a watch after all.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 11:48 PM   #20
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 21 February 2017, 01:25 AM   #21
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congratulations on the generous gift from your inlaws. Enjoy it!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:33 AM   #22
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
You are probably going to have to wear it and see how it makes you feel. We buy watches to wear. Don't let the watch wear you. IMO
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:14 PM   #23
ojileye
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the inputs folks. Here's a picture as requested!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3WDFoD.jpg (141.9 KB, 118 views)
Old 21 February 2017, 01:55 PM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Thanks for the inputs folks. Here's a picture as requested!
Very sharp watch; the 36mm DJ is beautiful.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote