The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Espinosa54
"TRF" Member

Submariner with or without Date and why?

Hey everyone, I looked through the last few pages and didn't see a post relating to this one and seeing how this is my first post, I hope I'm not boring everyone with this question.

Here goes: I'm in the market for my first Rolex and I've been in contact with my AD and they have what I want once I decide.
My question to you guys is which sub did you guys choose(for my sub owners or previous owners) and why? I love the symmetry of the no date but I actually use my date complication frequently. I also am not the biggest fan of when one of the hands are behind the cyclops, it's a little difficult to read the exact time(maybe I'm crazy and haven't fiddled with the date enough)

Please let me know of your personal experience with both and I appreciate all input. Thanks!
Espinosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 02:54 PM   #2
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Just went through this myself and there are a ton of threads on this if you search.

Being it's your Rolex and you use the date frequently I'd vote for date. The ND would be a good 2nd or 3rd watch if you already had date models. I didn't know how much I depended on the date until I didn't have it.
nikesupremedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I first bought the no date for the reasons you mentioned (the symmetry of the dial etc) but then not having a date drove me crazy. I sold the no date and picked up the date version. I am much happier now and I actually like the cyclops. If you use the date function frequently it's a no brainer, grab the date.

Think long and hard though, because if you're like me and miss the date it might drive you nuts and you'll end up losing a little money selling and re buying the date version.

PS: Having the hands behind the cyclops doesn't bother me at all, I can tell the time at a glance.
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Espinosa54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
Just went through this myself and there are a ton of threads on this if you search.

Being it's your Rolex and you use the date frequently I'd vote for date. The ND would be a good 2nd or 3rd watch if you already had date models. I didn't know how much I depended on the date until I didn't have it.
Does the Cyclopes collect any extra dirt or dust? The AD let me look at a GMT and there seemed to be something collecting around the Cyclopes.
Espinosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 02:57 PM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

A date because I use it. My car interior would probably be more symmetrical without a steering wheel, but I use that, too.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:02 PM   #6
franklin
"TRF" Member

I trained myself to remember the date after I check it in the morning on my phone.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:13 PM   #7
peterpl
Banned

Minimum requirements for me is a watch with a date. I dont have nor will I ever buy a watch with no date function.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:14 PM   #8
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
I am a big fan of the no date for all of the reasons that have been stated before. I rarely miss the date, lets face it in todays world it is not to hard to locate the current date. For me a harder choice (and I did say for me) would be between the 114060 and the Hulk, somehow I like the look of the date or I should say I don't mind it as much on the hulk. I would like to own both at some point. Now if they ever made a 114060LV well ... I just don't now how I would contain myself :-)
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:20 PM   #9
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
I am a big fan of the no date for all of the reasons that have been stated before. I rarely miss the date, lets face it in todays world it is not to hard to locate the current date.
I'm pretty sure the same could be said about the time.

The wristwatch was always about the convenience of putting info on the easily accessible wrist. Heck, I wish my Exp II had the day, too.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:20 PM   #10
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

The no date is a purchase that may cause some regret after a few instances of needing to know the date and looking at your plain dial. I think the extra cost is worth it to get the sub date.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:22 PM   #11
Sydny2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, GMT
I vote for SubC Date. I like the date function!
Sydny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:31 PM   #12
dominic.warren
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor LHD
Date one I use it a lot and 2 I think it looks better. JMO
dominic.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:36 PM   #13
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I vote date but no date does look better. I'll take the functionality.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:36 PM   #14
FLAJIM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub
Well it seem all like the date.... I got the no date back in November and never looked back...I love the clean look but I am also retired with a iPhone that tells me the date/ weather etc. Buy what you like and enjoy... everyone is different

Be Safe JIM
FLAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 04:03 PM   #15
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I prefer the date complication. I hear the simplicity thing about the 114060 and that's valid if it is important to you. But I don't hear the complaint that it's hard to read the time when one of the hands is around 3 o'clock. If that was actually the case a lot of other Rolex owners would be complaining about it, not just those with the Date Sub. I have a GMT and that part of it is just not an issue. Maybe you're looking at it that way because you are comparing the two Subs directly.

They're both great watches but if you use a date complication frequently you would probably be better off with the 116610. If you absolutely don't like the cyclops for whatever reason but want a diver, look at the SD4K or the Deep Sea.
Old 16 February 2017, 04:40 PM   #16
TM28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
bought the 114060 as a first Rolex; love it and never regret not having the date
TM28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 04:47 PM   #17
jabbawock545
"TRF" Member

No date for me, not a fan of the cyclops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jabbawock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 04:50 PM   #18
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Go with the date.
I lose my mind sometime checking my Daytona and YM2.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 05:01 PM   #19
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Considering you're on these forums, there's a pretty good chance it's not going to be your last Rolex. I'd say go with no date because it is the only Rolex submariner to not have a date. Unless it's a must, the cleaner look appeals to me. When you go for #2, should you decide on a GMT, Submariner, datejust etc, it's going to have a date. If you don't want it at that point, not having a date when you get a Daytona, Explorer etc. won't bother you.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 05:11 PM   #20
OasisMS
"TRF" Member

I went no date and have never regretted it. I was torn for a while between functionality vs. the cleaner aesthetic but eventually my better half inadvertently helped me out by mentioning that I'd never worn a watch before and had never struggled with not having the date on my wrist then - what difference would it make when l did wear a watch?

I didn't look back and went no date and couldn't be happier. Also makes my next purchase a bit more justifiable (BLNR).
OasisMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 05:17 PM   #21
U5512
"TRF" Member

Love the clean look of date-less watches....

It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 05:36 PM   #22
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
Love the clean look of date-less watches....

Absolutely nothing in the Daytona shouts clean to me, FWIW. They are cluttered (not that I dislike them). I bought my Sub 14060 because it served two purposes 1) Rolex dive watch, 2) cheapest of the group. Typically the watches without the date complication are less expensive than those with the added complication. The Complication of the Daytonas make them pretty pricy.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 05:48 PM   #23
And1dre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Can't go wrong with either but I prefer with date. I like the look.
And1dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 05:57 PM   #24
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I like the DAte, and I like to date which led me to my wife...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 06:05 PM   #25
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Prefer the date
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 06:29 PM   #26
peterpl
Banned

I would always buy the date version if it existed over a ND version. I used to wear a no date watch and sometimes I would look at my wrist for the date only to realise the watch didn't have it. Kind of felt funny when in front a lawyers signing paperwork or in a business meeting and realizing this. LOL

After that occurred numerous times I never bought another ND watch. A date is an essential complication on any watch in my eyes and a very basic one at that.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 06:41 PM   #27
osamu
"TRF" Member

I used to hate the cyclops, and didn't consider buying a Rolex with it. In the past 3 years or so, it bothers me way less than it used to, and if I was going to have this as a daily wear, I would probably buy the date, but if budget allowed, I'd probably still rather go with the SD4k without a cyclops (or wait to see if something is around the corner at Basel).

My EXII, I barely notice the cyclops anymore, it's just natural to have it there.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 07:21 PM   #28
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have both date and no date Rolex watches.

I like the symmetry of my Daytona, Sub, SubC and Milgauss GV.

If I am wearing one of those and have forgotten the date I have my iPhone.

The cyclops is a standard for watches at least it was until Rolex cyclop suppliers screwed with the magnification.

If I feel like a cyclops free day I wear my SD.

At the end of the day I like both.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 07:25 PM   #29
lain09
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of the cyclops and only considered the no date models when looking to buy a Sub. Cyclops is very distracting and didn't care to be reminded of the date whenever I looked at the watch through out the day.
However the 116610LV looks incredible in person. Pics do not do this watch justice at all, I'd get an LV if I were to get a Sub Date.
lain09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 07:38 PM   #30
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
i Got a Sea Dweller Deepsea, so i got an Oyster Perpetual Date Watch.

1 i'm a Rolex Fan... but a fan of Rolex history and heritage, i'm a freediver, i love the sea, the diving history... so the Submariner and the Sea Dweller aren't "Rolexes" to me, they are legendary tool watches.
2 given the point n1, we all know the "Rolex" resonance, but i''ve never looked at them as jewelry or luxury items... i see them as high quality instruments
3 in my daily use i see the date more on pc,internet and iphone than what i do on my wrist. Hilarious but... true.
4 i'll never liked cyclopes on sport professional Rolexes... i like the clean and simmetry of standard versions.
5 if you need the date... a reason more to buy nothing that VALVES :D
Toivonen is offline   Reply With Quote