The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Brettvarner
"TRF" Member

Rolex BLNR vs Omega Speedmaster - No Contest!

I've been shopping for a second watch (current is Sub C date 116610LN) and have been split between a Rolex BLNR and an Omega Speedmaster. After checking out some Speedys today I think I've resolutely ended my internal debate. Wanted to share my thoughts and get the group's feedback.

Brief background: I've worn my Sub religiously since I got it a few years ago; love everything about it. The BLNR is only a slight variant from the Sub so - while I know I'd love it - it isn't much different than my current watch.

That said, I thought I'd explore some models that looked different from my black-faced Sub. I quickly ruled out a YM (don't like the softer lugs/bezel) a blue faced YG sub (too flashy for my style) and any DJ II (little too formal for me). After ruling out IWCs (considered a Spitfire but just didn't 'sing' to me), I was left with only one competitor to the BLNR: a Speedy Pro.

I liked that the Speedy was markedly different than my Sub, and that it looked great with a number of different bands (nato, and just about any leather color you can find!), so I went to my AD to check one out.

The 42" Moonwatch Pro Chrono retailed at $5,200 - not bad.

- Found out watch is manual - bummer, but no deal killer. I imagine many appreciate the fact that the original Moonwatch is manual, just not me.

- Found out the 'crystal' is hesalite (read: PLASTIC) - wow. Couldn't fathom paying $5K for a plastic case.

- Pulled a Speedy with a sapphire crystal and I was up to $6,200. If I wanted to buy an OEM leather strap I'd be approaching a retail of $7K.

- I believe the Speedy sapphire sandwich (which includes a date) retails for ~$9K. Too much for any Omega IMO so I never considered.

The Speedy seems to be inferior to the Sub, but is only ~$2K less. Am I the only one surprised by this? I can appreciate that $2K isn't chump change, but relative to the base pries, the gap seems too narrow.

To the group (holding all of your Rolex biases at bay, and recognizing that my opinions are totally subjective), what am I missing? Am I not appreciating the history or movement of the Omega? Am I inappropriately comparing price to quality?
Brettvarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:33 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For me BLNR without a doubt so easy choice. It is one of my favorites and such a versatile piece.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:37 AM   #3
lindstd
"TRF" Member

I am just decided to sell my Omega 9300 Speedmastsr, 44mm with a date. That bracelet has never even been used. I put the dark side of moon strap on it and probably wore the watch less than 10 times. No joke. If you are interested feel free to send me a PM. I have the boz and papers etc. Just a thought. Good luck either way.
lindstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:38 AM   #4
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
Wrong. The correct answer is both!
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:39 AM   #5
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

BLNR is great. Note on the Speedy, you can get one from a trusted seller for a much better price. Best option - BLNR and Speedmaster!
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:51 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
A GMT will most always win for me up against a chronograph. And it does here.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:56 AM   #7
jedy617
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettvarner View Post
I've been shopping for a second watch (current is Sub C date 116610LN) and have been split between a Rolex BLNR and an Omega Speedmaster. After checking out some Speedys today I think I've resolutely ended my internal debate. Wanted to share my thoughts and get the group's feedback.

Brief background: I've worn my Sub religiously since I got it a few years ago; love everything about it. The BLNR is only a slight variant from the Sub so - while I know I'd love it - it isn't much different than my current watch.

That said, I thought I'd explore some models that looked different from my black-faced Sub. I quickly ruled out a YM (don't like the softer lugs/bezel) a blue faced YG sub (too flashy for my style) and any DJ II (little too formal for me). After ruling out IWCs (considered a Spitfire but just didn't 'sing' to me), I was left with only one competitor to the BLNR: a Speedy Pro.

I liked that the Speedy was markedly different than my Sub, and that it looked great with a number of different bands (nato, and just about any leather color you can find!), so I went to my AD to check one out.

The 42" Moonwatch Pro Chrono retailed at $5,200 - not bad.

- Found out watch is manual - bummer, but no deal killer. I imagine many appreciate the fact that the original Moonwatch is manual, just not me.

- Found out the 'crystal' is hesalite (read: PLASTIC) - wow. Couldn't fathom paying $5K for a plastic case.

- Pulled a Speedy with a sapphire crystal and I was up to $6,200. If I wanted to buy an OEM leather strap I'd be approaching a retail of $7K.

- I believe the Speedy sapphire sandwich (which includes a date) retails for ~$9K. Too much for any Omega IMO so I never considered.

The Speedy seems to be inferior to the Sub, but is only ~$2K less. Am I the only one surprised by this? I can appreciate that $2K isn't chump change, but relative to the base pries, the gap seems too narrow.

To the group (holding all of your Rolex biases at bay, and recognizing that my opinions are totally subjective), what am I missing? Am I not appreciating the history or movement of the Omega? Am I inappropriately comparing price to quality?
I don't get why you are hating on the hesalite crystal, the reason it is plastic is because that's what the original moonwatch had, as glass can shatter, and they did not want the possibility of shattered glass floating in the spacecraft. A sapphire sandwich is also nowhere near 9k. I believe they can be found grey market for 4-5k and not much more through a dealer. While the GMT BLNR is a great watch, the Speedy is definitely just as good a value when you consider pricing. They compete in a different price bracket.

Edit: Just checked, through Jomashop you can buy a Sapphire Sandwich for $3750. When you consider the BLNR is around $9000, the speedy is a pretty solid choice, think it's hard to compare them apples to apples.
jedy617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:01 AM   #8
Rowlf
Banned

Hard to say one is better than the other. Those are 2 fighters in 2 very different weight classes!

I'll echo the above, get them both. Learn a little more about the Speedie and you'll love its historically accurate details.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The answer is to buy the watch YOU like best.

The proper Speedmaster is a manual wind and I chose the sapphire sandwich.

The prices of these have certainly increased over the years but then have a look at the price for a pre moon 321 in good nick.

The others that you have looked at with the date function are automatic movements and to me are not 'real' Speedmasters and I think the 9300 movement has has some issues since its release.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:03 AM   #10
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettvarner View Post
Found out the 'crystal' is hesalite (read: PLASTIC) - wow. Couldn't fathom paying $5K for a plastic case.
Except each and every decent vintage Rolex? Hesalite is original to the Moonwatch
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:07 AM   #11
rph08
"TRF" Member

If it were my first, or my one and only watch, then I would pick the BLNR over the Speedy Pro. However, I would be inclined to add the Speedy Pro as a second watch in addition to the Submariner Date. I'd specifically choose the reference with the hesalite crystal, because it just looks better to me, and the scratches can be easily buffed out (so I've heard). Plus the hesalite model gets the cool "FLIGHT-QUALIFIED" inscription on the caseback. If I were in your position I might even consider selling the Sub, and buying the BLNR and Speedy Pro...maybe?

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:10 AM   #12
hitman23
"TRF" Member

the speedy in classic form is an icon. nothing wrong with hesalite or plexi. there is no wrong answer, but they are in different price brackets.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:14 AM   #13
zjd168
"TRF" Member

indeed no contest. Nowadays BLNR only may lose this kind of battle to daytona C
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:23 AM   #14
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Ive got both (a couple of maxi case subs) and a Speedy (Hesalite) and its hard to compare apples to apples when looking at the price, the Speedy is waaaaaaaaay cheaper (i just bought a brand new one in the massive box with all the extras for $3100usd) whereas the sub is alot more.
As for as wearing them.. again totally different, the sub has quite a bit of heft compared to the speedy (hesalite) on the wrist.
The Speedy has a lot more heritage compared to the "Maxi case" sub (not discussing older 5 dig ones here)

I love my rolex's but i have to admit ive been wearing my speedmaster alot more then them.
Ive put my subs on natos previously and it just didnt do it for me but i put my SM on a nato and have been loving it....

So if you are going from a price point for buying... speedmaster wins in my book
For resale rolex wins all day long

which one is better?................. personal preference..........

And the manual wind is no bother at all to me which i thought it would be
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:26 AM   #15
speedmaster73
Banned

huh?

speedy pro is an iconic watch

BLNR is...well....batman?

speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:28 AM   #16
Tonneau1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedy617 View Post
I don't get why you are hating on the hesalite crystal, the reason it is plastic is because that's what the original moonwatch had, as glass can shatter, and they did not want the possibility of shattered glass floating in the spacecraft. A sapphire sandwich is also nowhere near 9k. I believe they can be found grey market for 4-5k and not much more through a dealer. While the GMT BLNR is a great watch, the Speedy is definitely just as good a value when you consider pricing. They compete in a different price bracket.

Edit: Just checked, through Jomashop you can buy a Sapphire Sandwich for $3750. When you consider the BLNR is around $9000, the speedy is a pretty solid choice, think it's hard to compare them apples to apples.
Agree 100%. No offense to the OP, but it doesn't sound like you're the kind of buyer for a Speedy Pro, as you don't know its history and 'get' it. The watch is a true icon, and designed that way for a reason.

By the way, comparing the Sub to the Speedy is truly 'apples-to-oranges', especially when calling the Speedy 'inferior'. One is an incredibly durable chronograph that passed all of NASA's test with flying colors, went to the moon and back, and all around space, and still found home on the wrists of Astronauts (including Neil and Buzz) LONG after they retired. The Sub is a tool watch of a different color, a diving watch with a long history of durability as well, that has been turned into more a desk-diver IMO by addition of the ceramic bezel. Comparing the two and calling one inferior is not an accurate comparison, as both have their purposes (which are different) and strong lineage.
Tonneau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:35 AM   #17
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

No reason why this can't be "And And". It should, factoring in economics be about which one first and which one second.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:36 AM   #18
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
I bought a one special speedy over msrp. At that time, I was considering 116500 and BLNR as well. But eventually I chose the Speedy. Paying for it could have gotten me a BLNR plus some change. Best decision ever as I truly love the speedy. Money can be earned. But personal satisfaction, that's what mattered. Each to their own. Personal preferences. for me, it is the speedy.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:38 AM   #19
kearez
"TRF" Member

Both great watches, I first wanted to pick up a speed master pro sapphire, but now have my sights set on BLNR or the LN.
I was offered at an omega boutique the sapphire speedy; strap and clasp all for 6k which isn't too bad of a deal. Along with lots of other omega goodies.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:41 AM   #20
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I would go with the speedy. It's a good complement to your current watch and has a nice history.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:44 AM   #21
Water Wonderland
"TRF" Member

I own both the 114060 and the Speedy Pro with the latest reference number.

People actually love the classic Speedmaster Professional precisely for the reasons you outlined as drawbacks. While the Sub has gone through some technological upgrades over it's history, the Speedy Pro has basically remained unchanged for the last 49 years.

This actually appeals to many people, but to others it does not.
Water Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:46 AM   #22
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Wonderland View Post
I own both the 114060 and the Speedy Pro with the latest reference number.

People actually love the classic Speedmaster Professional precisely for the reasons you outlined as drawbacks. While the Sub has gone through some technological upgrades over it's history, the Speedy Pro has basically remained unchanged for the last 49 years.

This actually appeals to many people, but to others it does not.

correct. the OP is comparing 'specs' though. the OP should compare the 'specs' to Grand Seikos GMT which retails for cheaper.....or Omegas master co-axial GMTs for cheaper....
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:47 AM   #23
ispep
"TRF" Member

I own a BLNR and love it. I also have the speedy pro , manual wind , hesalite crystal. It is a pleasure to wear the speedy pro and wind it manually. I have other watches I place on rotation and end up setting them all the time anyways. I do not have any issues with winding the speedy pro . In fact I really enjoy doing it. I wind it throughout the day just because it's so much fun. I changed the back case to a sapphire glass by Thomas Preik. The movement on the Speedy is magnificent. The finishing is not up to par to Patek or Lange's level. However, this Lemania based movement is also used in higher end watches such as the Patek 5070. For the price the Speedy Pro is going for, you can't go wrong. Highly recommended.
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
ispep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:54 AM   #24
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Ugh..... GLad you like what you like but.....
Old 18 February 2017, 11:55 AM   #25
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I have both and they are both great and don't worry about the hesalite or the manual wind .
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 12:06 PM   #26
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
I also contemplated the Speedy at one point. I thing it is really good value for the money.
As mentioned earlier you can get a more attractive deal by buying it on the gray market.
Here is an example. For around $4000, you can get a BNIB Speedy "Sapphire Sandwich". That is the best forum in Singapore for people who would be interested.
It is worth taking a look.

http://swx.com.sg/forum/trading-pits...0-01-006/page2
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 12:07 PM   #27
treblarefils
"TRF" Member

speedy moonwatch 3300$
speedy sapphire 3700$ grey market price youd have to be crazy to pay retail.
treblarefils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 12:09 PM   #28
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I'm committed to being a one watch guy, so I need better waterproofing, but, if it wasn't for that, I'd pick a Moonwatch over anything Rolex currently makes.

Many of us would join a waitlist a mile long and spend more than Speedy money if Rolex released any of their professional models from the '60s in brand new form. It's awesome Omega still makes the Speedy so close to the original.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 12:09 PM   #29
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

OP: I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, but...

The two watches can't and shouldn't even be compared. They're not even in the same class of watch. One's a GMT with better than average water resistance, and one is a Chronograph with historical reference / commemorative attributes.

The only thing they have in common is that they both tell time, and never have the true/correct time ever displayed. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 12:10 PM   #30
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I have...and love them both. No wrong answers here.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote