The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2017, 04:17 AM   #1
jameson
"TRF" Member

Got screwed by my AD on DaytonaC

I live in a very wealthy, populated area. My local ADs get a lot of stock but they have serious high-rollers so my 1 watch a year is chump change to them. Because of this, I have a smaller AD out of town that I have been using for the past 5 years. I have bought 5 Rolex's from this small town AD in the last 5 years.

So Basel last year, called this small-town AD same day and they said I was first on the list for Daytona 116500. Confirmed it in an email.

They don't get as many watches as big city ADs which I understand, might take an extra few months. But figured first on the list, no big deal I'm patient, no need to go to my other ADs. I have checked in periodically and they say "haven't gotten one yet".

Then in November they go dark and stop returning my calls/emails. Finally the owner calls me this weekend, says that they have gotten 2 in, owner kept one and they gave the other one to a very good client. I say "no problem, I get it and that's totally fair,...am I in line for the next one?" This is where it gets sketchy.

Excuse #1: Owner says that Rolex won't let them sell to "out of area" folks and are checking their warranty cards to confirm. I respond that won't be a problem, I own a home in that town still.

Excuse #2: Owner then says "we are calling people to tell them they are off the list unless you have bought a number of watches from us". I remind Owner that I have bought 5 in the past few years and have a Patek on order with them, and they say "you are right, you are still on the list I guess...but if I were you I'd start looking elsewhere, it could be a while (years), I likely wont even be able to sell to you anyways"

So I then go to my other two ADs in my hometown as a hail mary (whom I have bought a number of watches from as well but a few years ago), and they both say "if you had called us you would have been on our list and had one. But we can't bump someone because we honor our list". Totally fair.

So couple of questions:
1. Is there any truth that Rolex wont let ADs sell out of area?
2. Any suggestions on how to get on a list elsewhere and not have to wait 5 years?

This out-of-town AD has been great to me, and I have introduced them to friends and we have bought probably 30 watches from them...Feels pretty bad that they are trying to push me aside after my loyalty. This whole post is probably more of a vent/rant than anything.
jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 04:20 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
AD's can sell to who ever they want. Infact most of ours in the GTA sell to our American neighbours due to the favourable exchange rate.

I'd start calling around, you never know where you'll stumble on one. Be prepared to wire funds immediately to secure if you find one.

Good luck.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 04:32 AM   #3
KenNethcole
"TRF" Member

This ad was good to you. Time to take your money and referrals elsewhere.
It will be tough to get a daytonac now from an ad as everyone will have a long waiting list. Doesn't hurt to try but it will be tough. If you willing to pay a premium you can get one now from one of our trusted seller.
KenNethcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would cancel your PP order with this AD. Then I would call other Rolex/PP dealers and tell them you would like to buy both watches from them and see what they can do.

I'd be quite pissed at this AD, as it sounds like you have given and referred them a a lot of business.
Old 20 February 2017, 04:36 AM   #5
2focus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 116900
if this doesn't turn off consumers, i don't know what will.
2focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 04:36 AM   #6
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Pay the premium, you'll have it tomorrow.
Old 20 February 2017, 04:40 AM   #7
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Been there and am in it

Found black literally with a cold call

White, getting all BS. My AD messing with me and I've bought many more pieces than you describe. Nothing else to do but fume. Gonna be real tough to jump on a list now.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 04:48 AM   #8
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
All this hype about the ceramic bezel, waiting lists, etc., really puts me off, and the steel bezel looks nicer to me in any case. Might be a good time to pick up a secondhand one instead?

I would definitely cancel the PP order, and never darken their door again. Consumers do have power.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 04:57 AM   #9
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
I live in a very wealthy, populated area. My local ADs get a lot of stock but they have serious high-rollers so my 1 watch a year is chump change to them. Because of this, I have a smaller AD out of town that I have been using for the past 5 years. I have bought 5 Rolex's from this small town AD in the last 5 years.

So Basel last year, called this small-town AD same day and they said I was first on the list for Daytona 116500. Confirmed it in an email.

They don't get as many watches as big city ADs which I understand, might take an extra few months. But figured first on the list, no big deal I'm patient, no need to go to my other ADs. I have checked in periodically and they say "haven't gotten one yet".

Then in November they go dark and stop returning my calls/emails. Finally the owner calls me this weekend, says that they have gotten 2 in, owner kept one and they gave the other one to a very good client. I say "no problem, I get it and that's totally fair,.

It's entirely up to you, but if you buy another watch from this AD then I'd like to recommend a watchmaker named Kent in Chicago that will be happy to service your watches...
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:19 AM   #10
Melchizedek
"TRF" Member

Sorry, nothing you can get mad at. Even though you've bought 5 watches in 5 years, there are people that buy 10 a year. And to top it off, you should've been buying from your local AD and not from the "smaller out of town" AD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:21 AM   #11
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
It's entirely up to you, but if you buy another watch from this AD then I'd like to recommend a watchmaker named Kent in Chicago that will be happy to service your watches...

blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:22 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As this watch is in so much demand I can believe Rolex are putting more conditions on ADs to verify who they sell to so they aren't just flipped for huge profits. In UK we've certainly had the local directives to prevent the foreign raiders, and stickers have to be removed on site and no warranty cards for a year etc. I wish they would just up supply but I guess it gives us something to talk about.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:32 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

i certainly would cancel my order and let the dealer know why. This elitist dealer treatment isn't helping Rolex. Rolex Dealer rule #1. As long as Rolex sells watches, they could careless about the customer or ethics.
Old 20 February 2017, 05:38 AM   #14
helson
"TRF" Member

So travelers will never be able to buy Rolex? I call it a BS.
helson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:50 AM   #15
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
What PP is it? If 5711 Blue keep the order. Anything else cancel IMMEDIATELY and I love Patek but the modern pieces are taking a beating I am afraid

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:59 AM   #16
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
More or less the same everywhere. ADs take advantage of the limited models from Rolex to maximize their profits and sales. Rolex could fascilitate a proper queue system if they wanted.
Old 20 February 2017, 05:59 AM   #17
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

More or less the same everywhere. ADs take advantage of the limited models from Rolex to maximize their profits and sales. Rolex could fascilitate a proper queue system if they wanted.
Old 20 February 2017, 06:00 AM   #18
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
ADs can sell to whomever they choose to. I've also found that they also shuffle their waiting lists pending on how much a customer does with them rather than what order they are put on the list.
Just the way it is, good luck finding your Daytona.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 06:01 AM   #19
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

More or less the same everywhere. ADs take advantage of the limited models from Rolex to maximize their profits and sales. Rolex could fascilitate a proper queue system if they wanted. You are as you already pointed out not a big enough fish in your area
Old 20 February 2017, 06:21 AM   #20
Goin2drt
Banned

Take your money elsewhere and cancel the Patek incoming order. Use that as leverage and go find another AD that will sell you a Daytona if you purchase the PP from them.

A Ben Bridge I was in yesterday is engraving the Daytona's if you want one bad enough. That is this particular stores way that they hope to stop flippers. Whether that works or not it is the cost of poker of you want a Daytona from them.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 06:22 AM   #21
U5512
"TRF" Member

It's time to do business with a different AD.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 07:26 AM   #22
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Let your money do the talking and take your business elsewhere. Sometimes I question these so-called 'lists'.
Old 20 February 2017, 07:29 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I would cancel your PP order with this AD. Then I would call other Rolex/PP dealers and tell them you would like to buy both watches from them and see what they can do.

I'd be quite pissed at this AD, as it sounds like you have given and referred them a a lot of business.
Bingo. Unless it's a 5711 blue then you probably will get smirks from the dealers anyways. I would still cancel the order and never do business with them again. They flat out lied and you have proof.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 07:37 AM   #24
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Yep, cancel your PP order and make it clear to them that it was clearly stated to you that you were first on the list (email proof) and relationships are built on trust and you can no longer support a loyalty that only goes one way.

I wouldn't do business with these guys. The watch industry is hurting right now and it's a buyers market. This is not how you foster and build life long customers. That's brutal.
Old 20 February 2017, 07:42 AM   #25
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day there is no "list" other than the one the owner complies in his head who he likes. The one he likes best, gets the next Daytona, and so on...
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 07:43 AM   #26
Silvio_86
"TRF" Member

If I were you I would report directly to Rolex. It's evident he is making profit from daytonas... I bet that the one he decided to keep for himself has already been sold for a premium as a NIB watch somewhere else...
Silvio_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 07:58 AM   #27
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
When they call you on the PP, tell them you bought elsewhere.......
Old 20 February 2017, 08:05 AM   #28
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'd never buy from this AD again.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 08:05 AM   #29
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
Yep, cancel your PP order and make it clear to them that it was clearly stated to you that you were first on the list (email proof) and relationships are built on trust and you can no longer support a loyalty that only goes one way.

I wouldn't do business with these guys. The watch industry is hurting right now and it's a buyers market. This is not how you foster and build life long customers. That's brutal.
Exactly this.

There are plenty of AD's out there who will love to have your business.
Old 20 February 2017, 08:06 AM   #30
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Your small town AD not worthy of your business.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote