The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 02:56 AM   #1
Mike McCullough ama
"TRF" Member

Rolex internal damage mystery

I sent my 5 yr old Rolex Model 116233 back to the Long Island NY repair center (by way of the jeweler - Tourneau in NYC) for an "inspection" and possible repair as the watch would start and stop intermittently). Rolex agreed to look at it even though it was out of warranty, because it never would keep time for more than a day of not wearing it without winding even when it was new.

They have the watch now and say that someone has apparently tried to polish off my name that was engraved on the back (it was a service award from the company I work for) and the vibration from that polishing operation has damaged the threads on the case back and case! They took a photo of the back and only the last couple of letters of my name are visible, so it does appear someone has tampered with my watch (a whole different issue)! The movement also has fine "particles" inside, presumably from the damaged threads. The watch has never left my possession, until I shipped it to Tourneau, so I know for a fact no one has tried to polish it nor remove the back! This is really bizarre and I'm not sure what to do.

My question is this: Does the Rolex explanation seem reasonable (it does not make sense to me)? I assume that even if the threads are damaged, as long as the back screws down tight against the case gasket (o-ring?) the watch would still be watertight?

I also need the email address of the person I discussed the issue with. Does anyone have Rolex email addresses?

I plan to file a damage claim against UPS (it was insured), but since I don't have any "before" photos, I don't expect to win. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of damage or filing a claim against a shipping company or Jeweler? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Mike McCullough ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:10 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Two things.
First, if you are in TX, you should have shipped your watch directly to the Dallas RSC yourself. You could have walked in there directly, and not have used the AD at all...whom are going to most likely charge you for the shipping and handling, with markup!
Next, why would the mail carrier have removed the watch, tried to polish out the inscription, then repackaged the watch and delivered it? Makes no sense....

Perhaps your AD attempted to clear the case back, but that would be weird wouldn't it...
I think it may be possible to caused internal damage due to heavy vibrations on the watches mechanics (I seriously doubt it would ruin the case threads), but the set of events is puzzling to say the least?!

What seems more plausible to me is, the AD tried to open it themselves, had no idea, and cross threaded the case back screwing it back on, then tried to cover their tracks. All of which is a huge stretch, but so is the story.

Good luck moving forward on this debacle..

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:13 AM   #3
JohnGreen300
"TRF" Member

Perhaps the case back was polished by the engraver before he done the engraving ?
JohnGreen300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:18 AM   #4
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
How does UPS have anyting to do with this?
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:30 AM   #5
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Two things.
First, if you are in TX, you should have shipped your watch directly to the Dallas RSC yourself. You could have walked in there directly, and not have used the AD at all...whom are going to most likely charge you for the shipping and handling, with markup!
Next, why would the mail carrier have removed the watch, tried to polish out the inscription, then repackaged the watch and delivered it? Makes no sense....

Perhaps your AD attempted to clear the case back, but that would be weird wouldn't it...
I think it may be possible to caused internal damage due to heavy vibrations on the watches mechanics (I seriously doubt it would ruin the case threads), but the set of events is puzzling to say the least?!

What seems more plausible to me is, the AD tried to open it themselves, had no idea, and cross threaded the case back screwing it back on, then tried to cover their tracks. All of which is a huge stretch, but so is the story.

Good luck moving forward on this debacle..
I realize you're trying to be helpful, but the Dallas RSC is over a 5 1/2 hour drive from the OP's city of Amarillo. Not as simple as just walking in. Texas is a big state!

To your point, though, I would have shipped the watch directly to the Dallas RSC.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 04:04 AM   #6
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCullough ama View Post
I sent my 5 yr old Rolex Model 116233 back to the Long Island NY repair center (by way of the jeweler - Tourneau in NYC) for an "inspection" and possible repair as the watch would start and stop intermittently). Rolex agreed to look at it even though it was out of warranty, because it never would keep time for more than a day of not wearing it without winding even when it was new.

They have the watch now and say that someone has apparently tried to polish off my name that was engraved on the back (it was a service award from the company I work for) and the vibration from that polishing operation has damaged the threads on the case back and case! They took a photo of the back and only the last couple of letters of my name are visible, so it does appear someone has tampered with my watch (a whole different issue)! The movement also has fine "particles" inside, presumably from the damaged threads. The watch has never left my possession, until I shipped it to Tourneau, so I know for a fact no one has tried to polish it nor remove the back! This is really bizarre and I'm not sure what to do.

My question is this: Does the Rolex explanation seem reasonable (it does not make sense to me)? I assume that even if the threads are damaged, as long as the back screws down tight against the case gasket (o-ring?) the watch would still be watertight?

I also need the email address of the person I discussed the issue with. Does anyone have Rolex email addresses?

I plan to file a damage claim against UPS (it was insured), but since I don't have any "before" photos, I don't expect to win. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of damage or filing a claim against a shipping company or Jeweler? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I'm not tracking........your watch was fine other than the intermittent, unexplained stopping and, suddenly, all this????

And what do you mean Rolex "agreed" to look at it? They will inspect and service any of their watches. The only difference between in or out of warranty is whether or not you are charged for the work.

You've also said the magic word "Tourneau." Poke around the Forum and other watch discussion sites. You may be surprised by what you find...........

If there's something afoul, I know where I'd be thinking to focus my attention.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 04:06 AM   #7
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
I realize you're trying to be helpful, but the Dallas RSC is over a 5 1/2 hour drive from the OP's city of Amarillo. Not as simple as just walking in. Texas is a big state!

To your point, though, I would have shipped the watch directly to the Dallas RSC.
In essence, that was my point also. I didn't tell him to walk it there, I had meant to ship it there himself...

Old 21 February 2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Mike McCullough ama
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone who already responded! To answer some of the questions and clear up some confusion, I sent it back to Tourneau because that is where the watch was originally purchased by my employer (it was a 25-yr service award) and I first went to them trying to get Rolex to honor a "defect" (watch won't run past one day without wearing it regardless if it is wound or not) that was discovered when brand new, but not reported to Tourneau until after the warranty had expired. In other words, I was looking to get a free repair for a different (watch would start and stop intermittently), but possibly related symptom to one that should have been covered by the warranty. According to Tourneau, Rolex agreed to potentially repair it "under warranty" depending on what they discovered when they opened it.

Like you, I also believe someone took the back off and cross-threaded it when it was put back on. The idea that the vibration from polishing casing thread damage is not plausible. I have not yet accused anyone of tampering with my watch, but obviously, someone did! Maybe it is more plausible that someone at Tourneau (a reputable AD?) tampered with my watch over someone at UPS!? Either story is bizarre!

Anyone have any other "bad" experience with Tourneau?

So yes, my watch was not in this condition when I shipped it by UPS to Tourneau!

Will the watch still be water resistant even if the threads are damaged if the case back is tight up against the case o-ring seal?
Old 21 February 2017, 07:16 AM   #9
Tools

Watch: GMT's
It is not possible for UPS to have "tampered" with your watch. The Rolex RSC only accepts USPS Registered Mail which is "tamperproof" after it has been properly packaged.

It is possible that the watch was damaged by the original engraver since you say that it has never run properly for the 5 years that you have owned it.

I believe that is what the RSC is telling you. Somebody has caused the issue, it is not a warranty covered problem. I am sure that they can put your watch back into proper condition, you will just have to pay for it.
Old 21 February 2017, 07:25 AM   #10
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It is not possible for UPS to have "tampered" with your watch. The Rolex RSC only accepts USPS Registered Mail which is "tamperproof" after it has been properly packaged.
OP shipped it first to Tourneau who then sent it to the RSC. I would assume the OP shipped via UPS to Tourneau.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 07:29 AM   #11
Mike McCullough ama
"TRF" Member

Tourneau opened the package and then hand delivered the watch to Rolex - they are both in Long Island NY
Old 21 February 2017, 07:44 AM   #12
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It is possible that the watch was damaged by the original engraver since you say that it has never run properly for the 5 years that you have owned it.

This makes the most sense to me .. Perhaps Rolex isn't a fan of the engraving job by whoever did the initial engraving. This story is an odd one, for sure.
Old 21 February 2017, 08:02 AM   #13
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Tourneau opened the package and then hand delivered the watch to Rolex - they are both in Long Island NY
The Rolex Service Center is in Manhattan, not Long Island. Did they send it to some repair center located on L.I. ? I am perplexed.
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:02 AM   #14
Mike McCullough ama
"TRF" Member

Tourneau told me that Rolex did the initial engraving!
Old 21 February 2017, 08:09 AM   #15
Mike McCullough ama
"TRF" Member

The email that I received from the Tourneau rep has "Long Island City Repair Facility" in the subject line, implying that the Rolex repair center is in Long Island. I called the Rolex customer service number 212 758 7700 and talked with a Rolex rep who had my watch in front of her, so it appears Tourneau did take my watch to Rolex, like I requested, but maybe it is not in Long Island!?
Old 21 February 2017, 08:17 AM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex internal damage mystery

What a mess for you - let's break this down a bit. You now own a watch that needs a lot of work or new case and back now that the threads are galled - and you can't find a culprit unless Tourneau confesses.

The shipper (UPS) can't be held responsible since Tourneau didn't advise you the package was damaged.

Rolex doesn't do work without a payment - and you clearly didn't pay them.

The movement could possibly have been damaged by the original engraver but you'll never prevail since it was over 2 years ago (you mentioned the watch is now out of warranty).

Maybe your best bet is to have Rolex box it and ship to you (not Tourneau). Then contact Bob Ridley to see if he can fix the case and back and work on the original problem.

One way or the other, this smells like a Tourneau horror story.

You can find dozens of stories about them using the search function on TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:17 AM   #17
sleddog

Quote:
The email that I received from the Tourneau rep has "Long Island City Repair Facility" in the subject line, implying that the Rolex repair center is in Long Island. I called the Rolex customer service number 212 758 7700 and talked with a Rolex rep who had my watch in front of her, so it appears Tourneau did take my watch to Rolex, like I requested, but maybe it is not in Long Island!?
5th Ave Manhattan.

Old 21 February 2017, 08:28 AM   #18
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
What a mess for you - let's break this down a bit. You now own a watch that needs a lot of work or new case and back now that the threads are galled - and you can't find a culprit unless Tourneau confesses.

The shipper (UPS) can't be held responsible since Tourneau didn't advise you the package was damaged.

Rolex doesn't do work without a payment - and you clearly didn't pay them.

The movement could possibly have been damaged by the original engraver but you'll never prevail since it was over 2 years ago (you mentioned the watch is now out of warranty).

Maybe your best bet is to have Rolex box it and ship to you (not Tourneau). Then contact Bob Ridley to see if he can fix the case and back and work on the original problem.

One way or the other, this smells like a Tourneau horror story.

You can find dozens of stories about them using the search function on TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch!
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:52 AM   #19
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
This is not exactly an example of being "Kented." But, in that same spirit, maybe we need an additional new verb, "Tourneaud."
Old 21 February 2017, 09:01 AM   #20
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Would Tourneau perhaps have attempted to polish out the engraving after realizing that it was their engraver that caused the damage?

Extremely odd any way you slice it.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:05 AM   #21
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Reading through everything, I'd say that Tourneau is most likely to blame here. It sounds like they tried to inspect/repair it at their own in-house repair facility (which is in Long Island City) and screwed it up prior to sending it to the RSC. The only other possibility is that someone at the RSC messed it up and tried to hide it, but I find that much more unlikely than the first scenario. I'd want to know the exact chain-of-custody for the watch, and exactly who had their hands on it at the Tourneau service center, prior to its arrival at the RSC. As Paul sad, what a mess!

Good luck getting it sorted.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:08 AM   #22
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Quote:
Tourneau told me that Rolex did the initial engraving!
Tourneau is lying to you.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:13 AM   #23
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Reading through everything, I'd say that Tourneau is most likely to blame here. It sounds like they tried to inspect/repair it at their own in-house repair facility (which is in Long Island City) and screwed it up prior to sending it to the RSC. The only other possibility is that someone at the RSC messed it up and tried to hide it, but I find that much more unlikely than the first scenario. I'd want to know the exact chain-of-custody for the watch, and exactly who had their hands on it at the Tourneau service center, prior to its arrival at the RSC. As Paul sad, what a mess!

Good luck getting it sorted.
I didn't realize Tourneau has it's own in-house repair facility in Long Island. If so, you can bet your bottom buck this is what transpired.

Awful...........
Old 21 February 2017, 09:16 AM   #24
cop414

Watch: 14060M
I hate to say it but everything from this story points toward Turdneau (That's what they are often referred to here Mike, that tells you something I think) unfortunately I can't see anyone there owning up to this. Filing a UPS claim would be fruitless in my opinion, how did UPS damage the threads on your case?
Please keep us posted on your journey with this. I can tell you that if RSC insists on a replacement mid case and back you'd better be sitting down when you look at the prices.
A warm TRF welcome to you also, so sorry that it's under these circumstances.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:28 AM   #25
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Sorry to hear of your troubles! This will be another Sherlock Holmes who dunnit type thread. Since the watch never worked properly I suspect whoever did the original engraving botched it. Probably removed the case back for ease of access, engraved the watch with bits flying everywhere into the exposed movement, and then maybe even cross threaded the case back on. A true mess!

I assume you noticed that your name was still properly engraved when you sent it off by UPS. I don't know much about Tourneau, but are they so bad that they would grind the back of a Rolex, just seems odd. RSC wouldn't do that. I don't see how UPS is at fault, unless the shipping box was tampered with or went entirely missing. I assume the shipping box was sealed up to be tamper proof in order for UPS to accept and insure the shipment.

That's all a real mystery indeed! I'll keep reading. Good luck! Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:34 AM   #26
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
This is not exactly an example of being "Kented." But, in that same spirit, maybe we need an additional new verb, "Tourneaud."
Ha! I was wondering if someone would refer to the recent "Kent" the watchmaker thread. I bet you will see a similar number of posts here before the dust settles.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:52 AM   #27
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Hopefully you have the watch insured.(I don't mean with UPS). If so there is a possibility of a claim here. While the parts Rolex proposed to fix would not be subject to a claim the damage to the case back and engraving would assuming that it is your position that they were intact prior to shipping. I know that my jewelry floater causes damage in transit as long as it can be tracked .With you stating that those items were not damaged prior to shipping and they are damage subsequent to shipping then this would be an in transit claim. Good luck.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:10 AM   #28
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, what a terrible story! I'm so sorry for your troubles with your watch. My personal experience has been that once the water gets too muddy regarding who did what and when did they do it, it's very hard to get an adequate or believable answer and soon you find yourself going down the rabbit hole.

Get an assessment of the damage and what it will take to fix it. Then, ask on the Forum where the work can be done most reliably for the most reasonable cost. Then, send it for the repair and finally enjoy your watch and never look back. You can drive yourself mad trying to get folks to admit errors and take responsibility, especially when dealing with corporate entities.
Old 24 February 2017, 10:07 AM   #29
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Is there an update of your situation?
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 10:18 AM   #30
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Tourneau is lying to you.
+1

Tourneau is involved? = Anything is possible!

Good luck, your going to need it.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote