The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 02:16 PM   #61
Kenrocks
"TRF" Member

I tend to think there's some science to this:

when a 5-digit is within our eyesight it sends signals to our brain to turn on our fond memories of good old young adulthood days when we were in high school and college, our brain then works to link these memories to what used to define a handsome watch back in those ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:21 PM   #62
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I've owned a ceramic and may again someday, but I'm just old school and love the 5 digit references.

As Hollister mentioned above a 6 digit reference but with a bit of charming old school feel, I bought and love the OP 39.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:23 PM   #63
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Boy this seems to come up weekly? Do you think this will ever stop being asked? Like them both btw but favour the newer.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:25 PM   #64
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
That's a fantastic trio. I'd personally swap out the 39mm Exp for a nice 16570 example, probably polar given the three other black dials.
I'd love to, but I bought the 39 mm when my second son was born, so it's for him and I'm stuck with it... but yes, I'll definitely add a 16570 one day.
Thuilln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:48 AM   #65
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
I've owned a ceramic and may again someday, but I'm just old school and love the 5 digit references.

As Hollister mentioned above a 6 digit reference but with a bit of charming old school feel, I bought and love the OP 39.
This is what I'm talking about!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8651.jpg (73.8 KB, 273 views)
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:42 AM   #66
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrocks View Post
I tend to think there's some science to this:

when a 5-digit is within our eyesight it sends signals to our brain to turn on our fond memories of good old young adulthood days when we were in high school and college, our brain then works to link these memories to what used to define a handsome watch back in those ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Considering we all have clocks in our pockets, and a good digital watch is cheap as chips, I'd argue that your statement holds true for wearing any mechanical watch, for the most part.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:05 AM   #67
Sherpa23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Honestly, the only thing that I don't like about 5 digit models are the stainless steel bracelets. There are many posts here that clearly outline why and I am in agreement.

That said, I love the 5 digit models but I have a WG Daytona on the leather strap and I use a NATO for my Explorer II.

I have a DSSD and I love the bracelet a ton but the rest of the watch just isn't as natural to me as the older smaller watches. I am probably going to add another Daytona and it might be another gold one on a strap as I suspect that the flimsy bracelet of the s/s models might affect the experience, somewhat.

By the way, I have had several Porsches, including the holy grail 1973 Carrera RS 2.7 and I absolutely love the 996 models. A lot. They're the most unappreciated cars in the auto world and I would take a 996 GT3 or TT over lots of other 911 models, including newer ones. But that's just me.
Sherpa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:17 AM   #68
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

5-digit FTW - and even the bracelets are perfect. IMO.

Having owned several modern versions; all sold now - have just kept the 5-digit versions.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:22 AM   #69
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa23 View Post
Honestly, the only thing that I don't like about 5 digit models are the stainless steel bracelets. There are many posts here that clearly outline why and I am in agreement.

That said, I love the 5 digit models but I have a WG Daytona on the leather strap and I use a NATO for my Explorer II.

I have a DSSD and I love the bracelet a ton but the rest of the watch just isn't as natural to me as the older smaller watches. I am probably going to add another Daytona and it might be another gold one on a strap as I suspect that the flimsy bracelet of the s/s models might affect the experience, somewhat.

By the way, I have had several Porsches, including the holy grail 1973 Carrera RS 2.7 and I absolutely love the 996 models. A lot. They're the most unappreciated cars in the auto world and I would take a 996 GT3 or TT over lots of other 911 models, including newer ones. But that's just me.
FWIW, I didn't mean to imply that 996s are bad cars (or 6 digit watches.) I owned a 996, too, and I'd probably agree that I prefer them to today's 911s. That being said, the market has certainly spoken in terms of what is desirable to most...p.s. I'm dying with envy that you owned a 73 RS. Wow!

Still, in terms of styling, I'd imagine that you'd agree that the fried egg headlights were divisive like the new Sub's big lugs. I thought the TT/996.2 headlights were a big improvement and still look pretty contemporary. 996 TTs are a screaming deal right now.
Old 22 February 2017, 03:34 AM   #70
Sherpa23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
p.s. I'm dying with envy that you owned a 73 RS. Wow!

Still, in terms of styling, I'd imagine that you'd agree that the fried egg headlights were divisive like the new Sub's big lugs. I thought the TT/996.2 headlights were a big improvement and still look pretty contemporary. 996 TTs are a screaming deal right now.

I suspect that in time, the 996 headlights will be appreciated as it's the only model with different looking headlights, not to mention that it started a whole new era of the 911 with the water-cooled motors.

The RS was a pretty special car. Mine was just way too original and nice (owns 1st place w/ 244 points at a regional PCA concours)) to use how an RS should be used. I have a whole philosophy on that but this is probably not the time or place. It set a world record when I sold it at auction a few years ago so that was nice.
Sherpa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:41 AM   #71
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I suspect that in time, the 996 headlights will be appreciated as it's the only model with different looking headlights, not to mention that it started a whole new era of the 911 with the water-cooled motors.

The RS was a pretty special car. Mine was just way too original and nice (owns 1st place w/ 244 points at a regional PCA concours)) to use how an RS should be used. I have a whole philosophy on that but this is probably not the time or place. It set a world record when I sold it at auction a few years ago so that was nice.
That's great, and I have feeling I share the same philosophy.
Old 22 February 2017, 03:45 AM   #72
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Having owned several modern versions; all sold now - have just kept the 5-digit versions.

THAT is a special trio!
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:52 AM   #73
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Great watches? Sure. Best ever? Not by a long shot.
This.

Well, I'm thinking if you put a modern glidelock bracelet on a 16610LV and then change the bezel insert of black, you are pretty darn close. But I still want lugholes! :-)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:01 AM   #74
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
This.

Well, I'm thinking if you put a modern glidelock bracelet on a 16610LV and then change the bezel insert of black, you are pretty darn close. But I still want lugholes! :-)
Yeah, I'd take lug holes over the new maxi dials. Granted, I wouldn't trade a 5-digit SEL bracelet straight across for a new bracelet/glidelock. Too bulky and heavy.
Old 22 February 2017, 05:17 AM   #75
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I just thought of something I prefer with the 6-digit series. If you buy a RubberB/Everest without the tang buckle option, I do think the new style clasps look better on the rubber.
Old 22 February 2017, 05:32 AM   #76
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:

All rolex references are great watches and it is just a matter of personal taste which one choose.

The cases of the above watches are the ideal size for a wrist watch for me. Just perfect.
I have the 16710 and the LV and although I am not a yellow gold guy, that 16618 Sub is to die for especially for a NOS example like this.
I wish I could fund such a NOS 16618 in order just to admire it in home.
3 icons, 3 modern classics
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:37 AM   #77
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post

The cases of the above watches are the ideal size for a wrist watch for me. Just perfect.
That's really it. The Sub cases were about the same size for 50+ years, prior to the 116610.
Old 22 February 2017, 06:04 AM   #78
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
All rolex references are great watches and it is just a matter of personal taste which one choose.

I have the 16710 and the LV and although I am not a yellow gold guy, that 16618 Sub is to die for especially for a NOS example like this.
I wish I could fund such a NOS 16618 in order just to admire it in home.
3 icons, 3 modern classics
Panos said it all about the 5 digit references.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:19 AM   #79
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Honestly, the only thing that I don't like about 5 digit models are the stainless steel bracelets.
Do you mean the Rolex 904L steel bracelets?

There's no difference in the bracelet, the difference is the clasp. Whilst I accept that the 5 digits had a utilitarian clasp, it was and is functional, comfortable, low-profile and reliable.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 09:42 AM   #80
BladeDogg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
I have only one and it was a tough decision, I decided on the classic looks of the 5 digit Sea Dweller. It will be my one and only Rolex and it was hands down the winner in my book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download-3.jpg (81.8 KB, 254 views)
BladeDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:03 AM   #81
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if we're actually the same poster.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the 5-digit series is the Porsche 993 of the Rolex world. It's the pinnacle of a slow and methodical system of upgrades that keeps the brand's DNA in tact. Now we've moved on to the Rolex "water-cooled era" in the 6-digit series, which is certainly going to attract a lot of users, too, and the watches are high quality, but the new Rolex ship has sailed for me.

I'm not sure if the Porsche 993 is my absolute favorite 911, because I essentially like all of them up through the 993, and that's how I feel about Rolex through the 5-digit series, too, outside of maybe a couple of models like the 114270 and OP.

I just can't wait until the 5-digit series qualifies for the Vintage forum, so I can move on from sifting through the 6-digit threads to find 5-digit threads.

BTW, to answer some of the posters above, I purchased all of my Rolex watches after the 6-digit series was released, so I'm not simply preferring what I already own. When I finally got to the point to start buying Rolex watches, I was disappointed to find what I saw in the AD, so it's been all pre-owned for me. I've owned a 14000, 16200, 16610 and 16570, but I like the 16570 so much that I wear it every day, and I got rid of everything else.

I have the 1996 Arena Red version of that car! I Am a total 993 snob. They ARE the BEST 911's made
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:25 AM   #82
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'd take lug holes over the new maxi dials. Granted, I wouldn't trade a 5-digit SEL bracelet straight across for a new bracelet/glidelock. Too bulky and heavy.
I LOVE maxi-dials and I also prefer the lug-holes as it was on my first Sub 16610 back in '98. The glidelock is a big improvement for me, the DC area is very humid and having the glidelock really helps in the summertime.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:40 AM   #83
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Do you mean the Rolex 904L steel bracelets?

There's no difference in the bracelet, the difference is the clasp. Whilst I accept that the 5 digits had a utilitarian clasp, it was and is functional, comfortable, low-profile and reliable.
FWIW, it's actually a little tough to figure out exactly when Rolex started making the bracelets out of 904L (for a while the heads were 904L, but the bracelets were 316L.)

As Peter often tells us, the 5-digit bracelet links are made out of solid steel tubing that is formed into shape in a press. The 6-digit bracelet links are machined with holes drilled right through the link, which is why they are heavier, although the real world improvement in durability is debatable.

Old 22 February 2017, 11:24 AM   #84
RedCarrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM 116622
I like the 5-digit case and lugs; 6-digit bracelet.
RedCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:24 PM   #85
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
FWIW, it's actually a little tough to figure out exactly when Rolex started making the bracelets out of 904L (for a while the heads were 904L, but the bracelets were 316L.)

As Peter often tells us, the 5-digit bracelet links are made out of solid steel tubing that is formed into shape in a press. The 6-digit bracelet links are machined with holes drilled right through the link, which is why they are heavier, although the real world improvement in durability is debatable.

Now that the newer 6 digit bracelet has been out for a while, has there been the same amount of bracelet stretch observed as the older styler bracelet?

Thinking about it, if there was the same amount of dirt/grim was present in a 5 digit bracelet as a 6 digit bracelet there may be similar friction along the pins and similar wear. Don't know if I'm thinking of that in the right way.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:33 PM   #86
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Now that the newer 6 digit bracelet has been out for a while, has there been the same amount of bracelet stretch observed as the older styler bracelet?

Thinking about it, if there was the same amount of dirt/grim was present in a 5 digit bracelet as a 6 digit bracelet there may be similar friction along the pins and similar wear. Don't know if I'm thinking of that in the right way.
I haven't read a lot about it, but I think there are conflicting theories. It's possible the newer links don't wear as easily, but they're also heavier, so that may put more pressure on them. Ultimately, it's still good to keep the bracelet clean and wear it more snug above the wristbone, if one wants to combat stretch.
Old 22 February 2017, 03:06 PM   #87
osamu
"TRF" Member

I agree with above. For the most part I prefer the case shape and sizes of the 5-digit models. Heck I even prefer the non-glossy non-ceramic bezels. But the 6-digit bracelet and clasps just make the watch feel way better.

I have one of each (Milgauss and 16570) and the 16570 I find I like on all kinds of different straps, while I just can't bear to take the Milgauss off a bracelet. Half is because of the style of the watches, but also the bracelet just feels like a higher quality product.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:14 PM   #88
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I like the variety, but I do like my 6 digit reference Rolexes.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:55 PM   #89
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
4-digit: Perfect size and form - but not to be used hard (anymore) and service parts destroys the originality
5-digit: Perfect size and form - and can be serviced without changing the look and feel of the watch
6-digit: Bracelet OK - but bling and ceramic. Nuff said.
6-digit: Clasp - who cares? Omega have been at it a while with machined clasps and even Patek uses a stamped fliplock on the Nautilus. Don't see Patek owners wingeing about build quality.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 07:44 PM   #90
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Pro's and Con's for both.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote