The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 09:11 AM   #1
alex_w8
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Punched paper certificate bezel color gmtII

Hi guys, maybe someone can help... I have a gmtII late Y series (original bill of sale is from 2004). On the punched paper i have only the serial number (with country code 160 -uk-) and only the reference number 16710. is there anyway to find out what was the orignal bezel color when the watch left the factory ? Looks like it was specified on the credit card type warranty (that came ater) but not on the paper punched certificate right ? Thanks a lot for your help : )
alex_w8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 10:21 AM   #2
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

When I took one of my 2004 GMT's to RSC for service, even they couldn't tell me what colour bezel had been fitted to it when it left the factory, so I guess the answer is no.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:59 PM   #3
alex_w8
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot for your answer : ) That what i thought indeed. Before they introduce the "credit card" type of warranty all the paper certificates are just ref 16710 (at least for Europe I believe).
Old 21 February 2017, 10:07 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_w8 View Post
Hi guys, maybe someone can help... I have a gmtII late Y series (original bill of sale is from 2004). On the punched paper i have only the serial number (with country code 160 -uk-) and only the reference number 16710. is there anyway to find out what was the orignal bezel color when the watch left the factory ? Looks like it was specified on the credit card type warranty (that came ater) but not on the paper punched certificate right ? Thanks a lot for your help : )
Makes no different what the insert was as all 3 a fully interchangeable thats the beauty of the 16710 get all 3 insert then 3 different watches for very little money.Its mainly the USA watches that had the bezel colour on warranty paper/plastic card as they are a separate company from Rolex SA .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 22 February 2017 at 12:30 AM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:21 AM   #5
alex_w8
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot Padi56, very true, i might get the 2 others bezels then : )
Old 22 February 2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

My Y serie 16710 from UK LC 160 had bezel colour on the hangtag with bar code, 16710BLRO, nothing on warranty paper.
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:49 AM   #7
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
TRF is an absolute goldmine of Rolex knowledge. I learn something new all the time and I have been a member here for 10 years.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:51 AM   #8
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I don't have my paperwork with me, but I could have sworn there was a "B" in the serial/model number that indicated it was born red/blue ("a" black/red and "n" for black).
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:59 AM   #9
AU_911tt
⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

On US papers it would have this designation. On international it does not. This is true on the credit card style warranty cards as well.
AU_911tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:24 AM   #10
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
If you happen to have the original hang tag with the white sticker on it, you would know; mine says 16710BLRO, along with the serial number, hence originally a Pepsi...
Thuilln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:36 AM   #11
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Interesting stuff. You learn something everyday!
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:42 AM   #12
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natosub View Post
Interesting stuff. You learn something everyday!
x2
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:52 AM   #13
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I'll take a pic of my paper. I think it's designated black for some reason
Old 6 June 2018, 01:38 AM   #14
jonatutu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
When I took one of my 2004 GMT's to RSC for service, even they couldn't tell me what colour bezel had been fitted to it when it left the factory, so I guess the answer is no.
Sorry to bump up a old thread. After reading this thread I pulled the trigger and purchase a used 16710 coke insert with punched papers(no mention of insert variant anywhere).

Went down to RSC Singapore today for a servicing quote, was told that based on the serial number it was originally a LN, they will have to confiscate the coke and i have to purchase a black from them if i want to have it serviced. Kind of disappointing
jonatutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 02:02 AM   #15
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
If you want it serviced then just go ahead. After that source for a used insert, either coke or Pepsi or both. Can also get them on carousell. Alternative if you’re ever in London the rsc there sells the insert for around £60. £36 to replace. £60 to change and keep the old one.
Old 6 June 2018, 04:24 AM   #16
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_911tt View Post
On US papers it would have this designation. On international it does not. This is true on the credit card style warranty cards as well.
This!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 04:28 AM   #17
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatutu View Post
Sorry to bump up a old thread. After reading this thread I pulled the trigger and purchase a used 16710 coke insert with punched papers(no mention of insert variant anywhere).

Went down to RSC Singapore today for a servicing quote, was told that based on the serial number it was originally a LN, they will have to confiscate the coke and i have to purchase a black from them if i want to have it serviced. Kind of disappointing
RSC Singapore "confiscated" the coke bezel??? Sounds a bit extreme for those folks on Orchard... Or did they say that, in order to service, they also have to replace the insert to black (and in the process of doing so, keep/throw away the old coke?). Which again sounds a bit too much given the GMT came with all 3 inserts... unless your coke insert is third party (not original).
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 05:04 AM   #18
jonatutu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
RSC Singapore "confiscated" the coke bezel??? Sounds a bit extreme for those folks on Orchard... Or did they say that, in order to service, they also have to replace the insert to black (and in the process of doing so, keep/throw away the old coke?). Which again sounds a bit too much given the GMT came with all 3 inserts... unless your coke insert is third party (not original).
Yes the second one, in order to service they will have to keep the coke. Haha sorry I may have use the wrong word "confiscate".

Orignal fat font coke. Any tips on how to keep my old insert? I read somewhere on the web, replace it with a fake and service with RSC, they will charge the usual insert replacement price instead of the entire bezel replacement price.
jonatutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 05:19 AM   #19
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Yes the second one, in order to service they will have to keep the coke. Haha sorry I may have use the wrong word "confiscate".

Orignal fat font coke. Any tips on how to keep my old insert? I read somewhere on the web, replace it with a fake and service with RSC, they will charge the usual insert replacement price instead of the entire bezel replacement price.
Worth giving it a try, why not.

(We won't tell them you said this here. )

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 08:51 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

No RSC should ever "confiscate" the insert on a GMT, regardless of the color. Any GMT I have ever sent in; the RSC has allowed me to change to whatever insert was available for that model, and the 16710 came with all of the variants.

I would talk to somebody else at this RSC.
Old 6 June 2018, 08:55 AM   #21
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Great info!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 03:00 AM   #22
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Makes no different what the insert was as all 3 a fully interchangeable thats the beauty of the 16710 get all 3 insert then 3 different watches for very little money.Its mainly the USA watches that had the bezel colour on warranty paper/plastic card as they are a separate company from Rolex SA .

The 16700 was only coming as Pepsi and LN right?

For you is the same if the 16710 comes with Pepsi or Coke from factory? It’s not a tunning watch?!!!! Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 03:23 AM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_w8 View Post
Its mainly the USA that had any indication of the insert colour in the paperwork all Europe and most other countries just serial and ref 16710

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 03:32 AM   #24
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Rolex's rule is that there's no rules

My 16710 warranty card, code 110, 110 for France, France in Europe

Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 05:47 AM   #25
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its mainly the USA that had any indication of the insert colour in the paperwork all Europe and most other countries just serial and ref 16710

Fab ! So it’s really cheap so we can have 3 watches.
I reckon when you change the insert is difficult to keep the alignment on the insert. Right? I like to keep things original.

Old 9 September 2018, 05:48 AM   #26
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

Rolex's rule is that there's no rules

My 16710 warranty card, code 110, 110 for France, France in Europe

Mine is Z serial no card so I can flip inserts -:))