The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 06:16 PM   #1
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
My first Rolex needed

Many thanks for this forum, it seems like community of gentlemen which i have not seen before in internet.

I have used my last 3 full days trying to figure out which Rolex to buy, but these problems are common in this forum so easy to speak freely

I come from modest family so it has been hard for me to adapt any luxury lifestyle. Watch should be easy to accept in this point of view as it does not create permanent expenses, if we dont take into account possible collecting hobby that will start from this first one :)

I have checked and studied pretty much every Rolex and have made a so called 'final' wishlist:
Datejust 36mm white gold azzurro dial
Datejust II White gold azzurro dial
Day Date Platinum ice blue dial
Daytona Cosmograph Steel white dial
Daytona Cosmograph Steel black dial
Daytona Cosmograph Platinum Ice Blue dial

I like the Datejust as it is simple watch. I like Daytona because it has so many details that create good balance - and ceramic bezel is something that prevents most evident scratches. It seems that Datejust is quite easy to get, but Daytona Steel with ceramic bezel is harder to get. So i thought i would go with Daytona anyway and investing a bit more to Platinum version with assumed ceramic brown bezel and ice blue dial. But it seems a bit rushed option, just doing it to get what i want because i dont want to be in long waiting lists. Platinum Day Date is so beautiful, but again it is a bit hard to explain to myself why to invest many times the price of Datejust, just to get 'Datejust with day info'.

But i quess these things should be thought thru pleasure, not with invest strategies in mind. I am planning to go to Baselworld next month to make final decision. I am pretty sure other brands are not on my list anymore, as Patek Philippe service pricing is something that does not fit into my philosophy and Rolex has the reliability i like. I want a watch i can trust, which is comfortable, has beautifull finish and which does not break right away. If metaphores with cars are allowed, Rolex is kind of a good mix of Mercedes E-class, Toyota Land Cruiser and Rolls-Royce Phantom.

Thank you for reading, i really appreciate all thoughts.
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 06:59 PM   #2
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C, JC DSSD
Rolex makes a solid, dependable, every-day watch that also looks amazing. All your options are good ones, but imo the Daytona Platinum ("Platona") is an amazing timepiece, though it tends to run double or triple the price (at least, maybe more) of the other Daytonas on your list. If you don't mind paying a premium, you can get the black or white dial DaytonaC right now and still have plenty of change left over (assuming you are ready to spend the cash on the Platona) to get ready for your next purchase. I'd do the SS DatyonaC (black or white, whichever is your preference) and keep the $$$ for another watch down the road. Tastes tend to change over time, so good to have some in reserve.
zoenoadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:14 PM   #3
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Talking about the Datejust and Datejust 2 that you mentioned, if I am correct, it is only the bezel that is white gold and the rest is steel. The full white gold version exists only in 36mm with the president bracelet.
Good idea to wait for Baselworld. Where are you from in Switzerland? Do you speak Swiss German, French or Italian? I am from Lausanne. Good to see a countryman in here. Two Swiss asking advice about Rolex from Americans LOL! That's awesome.
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:50 PM   #4
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossbeau View Post
Talking about the Datejust and Datejust 2 that you mentioned, if I am correct, it is only the bezel that is white gold and the rest is steel. The full white gold version exists only in 36mm with the president bracelet.
Good idea to wait for Baselworld. Where are you from in Switzerland? Do you speak Swiss German, French or Italian? I am from Lausanne. Good to see a countryman in here. Two Swiss asking advice about Rolex from Americans LOL! That's awesome.
These TRF Americans are amazing aren't they?
OP you have some nice options going there but out of all those i would probably go with either one of the Daytona watches or DD.
As Vinh says, i would wait for Basel and see what is upcoming. Yet you would have to be patient and prepared to wait until summer or autumn for new releases to hit the shelves (even in Switzerland) in the event you decided to opt for one of them.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:27 PM   #5
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Regards Yannis!!
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 10:05 PM   #6
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Regards Yannis!!
Same to you Vinh man!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 10:32 PM   #7
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your thoughts so far. I am not Swiss national, i just live here, because Switzerland gives me opportunity to do so - and i am very pleased and thankful for that. I have mountain chalet in same Canton, Canton Vaud, with you. I can speak German, i am learning French and Russian, but English is the best choice i would say.

I asked a contact person find out possibilities how to acquire Daytona steel with ceramic bezel - lets see how it goes. I like so much the azzurro Datejust with roman numbers, when i was a teenager i had a Seiko with azzurro-like dial. But there is little something that makes me think that Datejust is just little bit conservative and i am too "young" (35) to wear it. This is very subjective opinion and likely to change when gentlemen with more wisdom about Rolex culture give guidance.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:14 AM   #8
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts so far. I am not Swiss national, i just live here, because Switzerland gives me opportunity to do so - and i am very pleased and thankful for that. I have mountain chalet in same Canton, Canton Vaud, with you. I can speak German, i am learning French and Russian, but English is the best choice i would say.

I asked a contact person find out possibilities how to acquire Daytona steel with ceramic bezel - lets see how it goes. I like so much the azzurro Datejust with roman numbers, when i was a teenager i had a Seiko with azzurro-like dial. But there is little something that makes me think that Datejust is just little bit conservative and i am too "young" (35) to wear it. This is very subjective opinion and likely to change when gentlemen with more wisdom about Rolex culture give guidance.
What is your native language?
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:39 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think waiting for Basel is a good idea.

Barring anything unforeseen, why don't you start with a DJ/DJ2 and then see where you would like to go from there...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:26 AM   #10
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Quote:

Actually a datejust with smooth bezel and an oyster bracelet would be perfect for a 35 year old.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 04:56 AM   #11
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
What is your native language?
Swedish.
Old 22 February 2017, 05:07 AM   #12
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Swedish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
Actually a datejust with smooth bezel and an oyster bracelet would be perfect for a 35 year old.
Thank you for this, i really like that Azzurro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I think waiting for Basel is a good idea.

Barring anything unforeseen, why don't you start with a DJ/DJ2 and then see where you would like to go from there...
Yes, totally true and good advice. I have 4 kids, so maybe i should leave one Rolex to everyone of them. And with little research made the Daytona ceramic hype is too professionally built to be just 'viral', so that makes it a bit less interesting to me i quess. But thoughts change quite rapidly when buying a Rolex i see!

I booked a meeting in Rolex Geneva next month and we make some plans there considering my Rolex career. I end up buying more than i need i quess. Those Swiss salesmen and -women in French speaking area are so smooth, i don't have a chance :D
Old 22 February 2017, 05:18 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You put it very nicely, even if English is not your first language - it seems like community of gentlemen.

I love the ice blue dials so if you can afford one I'd certainly go for one, probably the DD40, but hunt around and find a good deal. Then I'd add an SS Daytona.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:25 AM   #14
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
If you can swing it. Beautiful but heavy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_2333.jpg (126.8 KB, 120 views)
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:30 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
if you start with the platona there is no where to go just IMO. everything else will pale.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:09 AM   #16
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
I would recommend starting with something more affordable like a DJ or steel Daytona and spend some time with it to get a feel for what you like and don't before going all the way to PT. Depreciation is painful on PT if you change you mind
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:09 AM   #17
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You put it very nicely, even if English is not your first language - it seems like community of gentlemen.

This is quite a compliment from person living in UK. I try to improve all the time, thank you.

I love the ice blue dials so if you can afford one I'd certainly go for one, probably the DD40, but hunt around and find a good deal. Then I'd add an SS Daytona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
If you can swing it. Beautiful but heavy.
That is beautiful piece of art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
if you start with the platona there is no where to go just IMO. everything else will pale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natosub View Post
I would recommend starting with something more affordable like a DJ or steel Daytona and spend some time with it to get a feel for what you like and don't before going all the way to PT. Depreciation is painful on PT if you change you mind
These are highly valued comments, representing important bits of Rolex culture, which i am starting to understand by learning from this forum. Rolex ownership will apparently create best feelings when being a bit of a collector, and acquire Rolex when milestone of life or happiness is achieved.

Thank you.