The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2017, 05:37 AM   #1
Banned

Do people really feel this way about the 5167? When will you ever be "good enough?"

I was enjoying my morning coffee and came across this listing that rubbed me the wrong way: (I think the image should load.)

This type of attitude is toxic, is it not? With this mentality, when will your watch be good enough? I remember trying on my first Aquanaut and looking at the beautiful gold rotor and dial. Owning an aquanaut is something that is truly exclusive, rare and in my opinion certainly not to be scoffed at. In what real-life circle will someone feel this way? According to this gentleman, I should be ashamed of aquanaut ownership? Is there an 'aquanaut' stigma that I was unaware of?

Apply this principal to any material goods, is it even possible to be happy with what you have? There is always something more expensive and 'better.' Personally, I'm going to just be happy to have the fine timepieces I have and maybe, just maybe, one day I can own a Patek that isn't "looked down upon."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-02-21 14.28.14.jpg (24.4 KB, 1256 views)
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:53 AM   #2
xbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hunting ...
So funny, that is literally priceless!

Imagine how ashamed I feel, looking to buy a Huracan 580-2.... truly the entry level Lambo

Hey-ho, note to self ...... "work harder"
xbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:03 AM   #3
martinr
"TRF" Member

I'm happy when I wear my Rolex and I could buy seven or eight of them for what my Patek cost.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:05 AM   #4
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Just ignore this... Buy what you like, who cares what others think. Yeah, so, I have a 5712.. It must be an entry level complicated Patek because I couldn't afford the more complicated complicated Patek. How will I ever survive, knowing I bought an entry level Patek with some ever so basic complications..

There's literally no end.
Old 22 February 2017, 06:12 AM   #5
sachit
"TRF" Member

Patek is Patek..it doesn't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sachit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:18 AM   #6
psv
"TRF" Member

Why do you let this boil your blood? I wouldn't go as far as saying that owning an Aquanaut is "truly exclusive...rare..." and yes, it is the entry-level Patek. There are people who will frown on that but why let that bother you? Enjoy your bargain-basement Patek!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:25 AM   #7
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Most every collector will tell you they have their own varied and subjective tastes, and that you should wear what you want. The Aquanuat fits a more active lifestyle, and even seasoned collectors might have one as a more wearable piece.

I think the stigma comes because a minority of collectors compare it against the Nautilus (the other PP sportswatch), which is more iconic and a fair whack more expensive. The general theory is that the owner must have settled for the Aquanaut, because if they had the money, they obvioulsy would have bought the Nautilus. To me, this is absolute nonsense, but hopefully that somewhat explains this odd view.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:37 AM   #8
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I like my Seikos, Orients, Casios, etc. Not really seeking status, I enjoy excellence!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 07:44 AM   #9
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
What stigma ? I guess that's why there's a long waiting list then!
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 07:56 AM   #10
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Ah...entry level Patek...non-watch people think you're nuts for spending so much money, and some watch folk may look down on you...a no win situation? Actually, I don't think so. Not sure how many people would really buy into the "entry level stigma" of the Aquanaut. While there are some that may hate the model, there is certainly plenty of love for it around here, you won't often find them sitting in AD cases, and they hold value well.

Guess it depends on the audience, and if you care....and what you enjoy.

I personally don't care...maybe I'm getting old...and thus the 5167 is a favorite of mine. Entry level or not, I actually enjoy wearing it more than I would a 5270. I certainly appreciate the 5270, but PM watches on leather straps aren't me, so I'll just enjoy other member's pics of them or those occasions where I get to check one out in the metal. An Aquanaut on the other hand, definitely is for me.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:12 AM   #11
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

I saw it a few days ago and also thought the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:21 AM   #12
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Why would anyone care about a perceived stigma about the 5167 being "entry level" It's a Patek. It's a beautifully made watch that offers better wearability on a daily basis then a PM Calatrava on a leather strap. I love mine and wish I had gone directly on this route then the 5296 as it is better for me as an all around watch.

Idiots will joke about not being able to afford a Nautilus. People who know watches will appreciate it just as much as a Nautilus.

There must be some reason a 5167 is just about impossible to find at an AD besides entry level pricing.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:35 AM   #13
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

This type of sales tactic directed at producing an emotional response is all too common in the luxury goods market. It is targeted at people who purchase "luxury items" to impress others and to "keep up with the Joneses".

IMHO at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you are wearing a Patek, Rolex or a Seiko. You should wear what you like without worrying about what others think.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 09:31 AM   #14
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I guess I've been stigmatized for a few years now without knowing it. Thanks for letting me know what I was missing wearing my Aquanaut Mr Ad Poster...
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 09:50 AM   #15
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Is Patek anything entry level, usually one comes to Patek after owning and aspiring to have a higher quality of watch? To each their own.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:24 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
This type of sales tactic directed at producing an emotional response is all too common in the luxury goods market. It is targeted at people who purchase "luxury items" to impress others and to "keep up with the Joneses".

IMHO at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you are wearing a Patek, Rolex or a Seiko. You should wear what you like without worrying about what others think.
Yes, just a sales tactic. Let's keep some perspective on our super-first world problems here, we must look like lottery winner's complaining about winning it only once.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:46 AM   #17
hbk25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue
I saw that 5164 post in the classifieds the other day too. And I don't blame the seller. He's obviously pointing out / tapping into how certain ppl feel. Heck, I almost contacted him to trade up. Then all of a sudden I wanted to contact DavidSW for that 5711. By 11 o'clock at night I was looking at perpetual calendars.

Go figure.

Here's me in coach:
hbk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:58 AM   #18
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

The guy is just trying to sell the watch he has on offer. Seems pretty obvious to me.
Old 22 February 2017, 01:32 PM   #19
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

While the Seller may be trying to tap some emotional respsonse in his potential buyer this is for sure an attitude that prevails among a certain subset of the luxury goods consumer.

It's kinda like the guys/gals showing up to coffees & cars (or whatever it's called) driving a Cayman to be told by the 911 owners 'that's not a real Porsche", god forbid when the Macan owners show up!!!

You just have to smile nicely and be assured in your own choices.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:41 PM   #20
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I was speaking to an owner of a Patek AD in Canada the other day and we discussed the whole "entry level" subject with regards to the aquanaut. I'm not sure how we got on that topic but needless to say we both feel that that terminology is negative and not encouraged. There are certainly patek watches at different price points and it is quite possible that someone is drawn to the aquanaut largely because of its price. But would you make fun of someone who owns a Porsche Boxter and say they "couldn't afford a 911"? This is just immature behavior meant to hurt peoples feelings and if you are decent human being you should not engage in these attitudes as far as I am concerned. Finally, we all slip up sometimes and say something that we regret in the heat of the moment (nobody is perfect) but we should strive have the best attitudes we can towards other people and their belongings in general (and i think people do a very good job of this on TRF). Sorry if i rambled a bit.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:59 PM   #21
KarlS
Banned

I need an entry level Rolls Royce bad......was always taught.....buy the smallest house in the best suburb rather than the most expensive house in the cheaper suburb....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:53 PM   #22
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Ugh, the stigma of Patek...
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:07 PM   #23
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
.....buy the smallest house in the best suburb rather than the most expensive house in the cheaper suburb....
Haven't heard that phrase in a while but definitely true!

Just a sales tactic...who cares if it's entry level or not.
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:12 PM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Of course it is shameful, that's why I took it in RG. Joking aside it's ridiculous, it's a great watch and a Patek, nothing entry level about it, even if technically it is their entry level piece, but it's mostly a PP so it doesn't count
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:11 PM   #25
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Most every collector will tell you they have their own varied and subjective tastes, and that you should wear what you want. The Aquanuat fits a more active lifestyle, and even seasoned collectors might have one as a more wearable piece.

I think the stigma comes because a minority of collectors compare it against the Nautilus (the other PP sportswatch), which is more iconic and a fair whack more expensive. The general theory is that the owner must have settled for the Aquanaut, because if they had the money, they obvioulsy would have bought the Nautilus. To me, this is absolute nonsense, but hopefully that somewhat explains this odd view.
haha Idk when you put it that way, if you had money for both, why would you not get the nautilus?
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:13 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sign me up for that entry level Patek
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:21 PM   #27
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, just a sales tactic. Let's keep some perspective on our super-first world problems here, we must look like lottery winner's complaining about winning it only once.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
While the Seller may be trying to tap some emotional respsonse in his potential buyer this is for sure an attitude that prevails among a certain subset of the luxury goods consumer.

It's kinda like the guys/gals showing up to coffees & cars (or whatever it's called) driving a Cayman to be told by the 911 owners 'that's not a real Porsche", god forbid when the Macan owners show up!!!

You just have to smile nicely and be assured in your own choices.
The macan is pretty badass though. Has the PDK and the cayenne doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I need an entry level Rolls Royce bad......was always taught.....buy the smallest house in the best suburb rather than the most expensive house in the cheaper suburb....
This works when there aren't as many other small houses. But it's a good saying none the less. But if you apply this to watches I think that is more for people who just want a patek but aren't crazy in love with watches to buy a super expensive one.

I think this is why you barely see the aquanaut in stores. It's 2 reasons. 1 because of the patek name and this one is below 20k, people who want to own a patek snatch it immediately.

The second is I don't think patek produces that many compared to the nautilus, because if they did, it wouldn't sell nearly as well as the nautilus does.

I don't care about the aquanaut being the bargain/entry level patek, I just hate the way it looks to be honest. For me, If I'm buying a patek, it's either the nautilus or a grand complication or to me there is no point. If I want a wearable sports watch to bang up, I'll get an AP diver or rolex daytona which to me look better than the aquanaut. Or hell, I'd even get hublot before it as well.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:47 PM   #28
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
5164 = entry level Patek travel time complication.

It's silly really. I have a 5167 as well as much more expensive watches, I keep it because I appreciate it for what it is.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 01:15 AM   #29
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
In my office, no one notices any of my watches. There aren't any WIS on the floor. It's not like I'm hiding them, either.

The only time I seem to see people checking watches reliably is when on holiday and when it's warm weather. That's when I first saw a 5165, a 5711, a 15202, etc.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 01:28 AM   #30
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
LOL!!! Tongue in cheek is my guess!
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote