Watch: Not enough ;-)
Great info

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2013, 10:39 AM   #33
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
My first - from 1984. I wore it New Year's Day. One factory service in its whole life.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2013, 11:55 AM   #34
RRY
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
[QUOTE=GTS Dean;3836786]My first - from 1984. I wore it New Year's Day. One factory service in its whole life.

That's a beautiful OQ! Mine says hi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oysterquartz IMG_3182.jpg (290.1 KB, 1573 views)
RRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2013, 03:20 PM   #35
GoyGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterquart 17014A
And mine!

Oysterquartz: The 'Rolex of quartz watches' and the 'The Quartz watch of the Rolexes'
GoyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2013, 09:04 PM   #36
Czechman
"TRF" Member

Watch: See my signature
Just recently sold:

Currently in wrist rotation:

19019, 19018x3, 17000x2, 16570x2, 16220, 5700, 1501, 6564, 16030, 16710, 16610

Czechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2013, 09:03 AM   #37
honitel

Watch: Rolex
Wow,those are really interesting information up there! I was amazed on the 'ads' lasted without oxygen! Great stuff,I must say!
honitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 02:39 AM   #38
B-frog
"TRF" Member

hi,

for my first post, pics of mine. i really love this watche, i have 5 rolex but this one is ther most comfortable ever, and precise as well !

the next one , probably a 19018

B-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2013, 11:45 PM   #39
Noneed2000
"TRF" Member

Love this best topic too.

However, can anyone help me to clarify about the hands of this Oysterquartz.

I can't see any lume on it. Does it normal?

(pic from google)

Noneed2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 12:05 AM   #40
Czechman
"TRF" Member

Watch: See my signature
Not sure about the hands but that's the first one I've seen with the slate jubilee dial. My 17000 is at the watchmaker so I can't verify if it has lume or not... Seems unlikely the hands would be replaced especially considering the condition of the dial.

19019, 19018x3, 17000x2, 16570x2, 16220, 5700, 1501, 6564, 16030, 16710, 16610

Czechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 01:25 AM   #41
Fagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: a genuine one
Hi, you dont seem to hear much about the quartz models on the forum, but i quite like them. I have known of them for some time but never seen one in the flesh so to speak and never seen one for sale locally. Can you give me a rough guide as to prices they are likely to achieve. There are actually 2 on ebay in the uk at the moment but not sure if they are well priced and it is a few hours round trip to have a look. Is there anything in particular that i need to be aware of when looking?
By the way great pictures.
Old 14 January 2013, 05:19 AM   #42
nicklas356
"TRF" Member

Here is my OQ collection

17000, 17013, 19019 p-series & 17014 a-serial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA260034.jpg (88.7 KB, 1502 views)
File Type: jpg PA260035.jpg (77.6 KB, 1498 views)
nicklas356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 09:04 AM   #43
brandxbrand
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Always find it fascinating that current day wrist shots of the quartz are always of mint condition pieces. I mean, there wrists shots out there of pieces from 10 years ago that look beat to a pulp, but never the OQ.

Kudos to those who keep theirs in a1 condition.
brandxbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 01:30 PM   #44
Noneed2000
"TRF" Member

Actually, I have ever seen some of DJ dial 's hands without lume too. Don't know the certain criteria from Rolex to choose with or without lume.

Within same dial, I have ever seen both of them too ( with and without lume on hands)
Noneed2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 06:13 PM   #45
joseluu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechman View Post
Just recently sold:

How many times I looked at it!! But...
joseluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 07:20 PM   #46
GoyGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagin View Post
Hi, you dont seem to hear much about the quartz models on the forum, but i quite like them. I have known of them for some time but never seen one in the flesh so to speak and never seen one for sale locally. Can you give me a rough guide as to prices they are likely to achieve. There are actually 2 on ebay in the uk at the moment but not sure if they are well priced and it is a few hours round trip to have a look. Is there anything in particular that i need to be aware of when looking?
By the way great pictures.
Yes, OysterQuartz are different to other Rolexs. I like wearing this 17014A because it doesn't look like every other Rolex.

Yes, they’re rare, I’ve only ever seen one other OysterQuartz in the flesh, but I live in Australia, where there’s relatively less of everything anyway.

I’ve seen a lot of badly beaten up OysterQuartzs priced too high. I paid $3500 for this one, on eBay, about two months ago, but it’s supposed to be a slightly rarer model (17014A) and it has a WG fluted bezel, and it was made in one of the last production years, Y2000, and I believe it’s had a full RSC overhaul. It has been supplied to me with a 2Y warranty, I assume from the RSC through the eBay vendor. Condition of this one is really very good – pretty well looks like new - and it’s keeping near-perfect time, so far it has lost only 1 second in 10 weeks, and doesn't seem to be losing any more. I’ve bought this one as an alternative to shelling out about $7K for a new mechanical Rolex. I must say I like the styling, size, finish and accuracy of this watch much more than any new mechanical Rolex. The finish of this watch stacks up beautifully against the latest new $13.5k gold/steel Submariner, but without the Sub’s (for me unwearable) oversize and overbling. These OQ’s, in good condition, are just beautifully finished bits of slab steel, Rolex in 'Zen' mode.

Many of the rough OysterQuartz’s I've seen have badly reconditioned cases. I’d be looking for clean, sharp facets. Also there are some with really bad dials and hands… how do they get so wrecked? (Personally I have no ambition to take the back off my Rolex and have a fiddle with its innards – for me this is a job for the trained watchmakers at RSC, operating inside their clean rooms with all the right tools and parts, and no-one else). Another problem, of course, is that many vendors/sellers use blurry, crappy looking photographs when trying to sell their watches, which coupled with a lack of detailed honest info, doesn't help.

If you look for a late model, like this one, then the movement will be younger and you should also score the newer whiter lume, which works quite well, and which seems to be accompanied by the words ‘SWISS MADE’ on the dial at the 6 o’clock position (not visible in my photo, but it’s there); I’d avoid the older tritium models (dials typically seem to be marked ‘SWISS’) as it will probably already be dead or half-dead. The earliest models were dial-marked ‘OYSTERQUARTZ’ instead of ‘S.C.O.C’, and some have no lume on the dial but do have lumed hands. Personally I’d go for the ‘S.C.O.C’ marking (or 'S.C.O.C + SWISS MADE') with the aim of getting a younger movement.

I think the simpler Oyster bracelet on the OysterQuartz 17000 is perhaps more comfortable than the Jubilee bracelet on this 17014A, as the finer links of this Jubilee bracelet tend to create a rougher, slightly sharper surface inside the bracelet.

If you want a watch which is built like the best Rolex ever, but happens to keep the right time, buy one of these.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 15 January 2013, 04:13 AM   #47
B-frog
"TRF" Member

i agree, very comfy, precise, quite rare, still affordable and the best is the 5 yrs power reserve

ps : the blue jubilee dial is fantastic !
Old 8 February 2013, 03:37 PM   #48
GoyGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-frog View Post
i agree, very comfy, precise, quite rare, still affordable and the best is the 5 yrs power reserve

ps : the blue jubilee dial is fantastic !
Thanks, B-frog. A 5-year reserve? Do you get 5 years out of a battery? Anyway, who cares? Here's my recently-acquired Oysterquartz staying cool in a hot Melbourne summer...

Roll over and die...

Hey, how about some photos of yours?

Isn't this a great case design? Less is definitely more...
Old 8 February 2013, 11:59 PM   #49
77T
2024 Pledge Member

How about the Rolex Oysterquartz that never was? The elusive Rolex LED described in the upcoming English translation of "Electrifying the Wristwatch" by Lucien F. Trueb, Gunther Ramm, and Peter Wenzig.

As the story goes (I read this on another forum late last year) Patrick Heiniger rejected an engineering project after 5 prototypes of a 5055 driven LED watch were made in the late '70s. There you have it, an Oysterquartz Analog LED watch that never saw the light of day - supposedly all 5 prototypes were destroyed...or were they?

Poorly scanned pic from the original German book, Die Elektrifzierung des Armbanduhr.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 08:50 AM   #50
RRY
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklas356 View Post
17000, 17013, 19019 p-series & 17014 a-serial
Wow, what an amazing set!
RRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 02:25 AM   #51
B-frog
"TRF" Member

when friends come and told about "mechanical noblesse" i laugh, of course passion is'n reason, but the OQ caliber is the most accurate ever made !
Old 12 February 2013, 11:07 AM   #52
GoyGuy
"TRF" Member

Air-King, Oysterquartz accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-frog View Post
when friends come and told about "mechanical noblesse" i laugh, of course passion is'n reason, but the OQ caliber is the most accurate ever made !

My Y1976 Air King loses 3s per day. My Y2000 Oysterquartz looks like being exactly right, or maybe losing 2s per year!

Old 15 March 2013, 10:36 PM   #53
himtfuji
Banned

mine

himtfuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 04:46 AM   #54
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare201 View Post
It is the pinacle of HEQ, The first truly thermocompensating quartz movement. THe thing that is truly fascinating about this movement to me is that there is still a "escapement" The real diffrence is rather that use a electronically actuated stator mechanism they kept the pallet intact and left the escape wheel. It only took breitling until ~00 to develop and market their own (cheaper, piggy-backed fully electronic superquartz movement.)

Not quite true the first quartz wristwatch implementation of thermocompensation was achieved with the integration of a thermistor into the IC circuit was from Sieko.Now this IC application in a quartz wrist watch was first invented by Seiko in 1959.Then a few years after followed by CEH group of Switzerland (of which Rolex was one of the founding members) this was in 1962. This first appeared in 1977, in the Rolex Oysterquartz DJ. The Rolex quartz module was referred to as a VCTCXO (Voltage Compensated Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator).But although Rolex have never given any official figures for accuracy it was around +- 60 seconds a year but could be trimed less.While the top line Seiko Grand And around the same time as the Oysterquartz some of the selected Grand Seiko Japanese quartz model these were very accurate quartz model but very expensive even then.But not heard of much in the western world then mainy Japan and far east only.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" around 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was used in the 1980s models but now rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now most certainly the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty plus years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 06:39 AM   #55
Ksersoze
"TRF" Member

Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1129.jpg (59.1 KB, 1234 views)
Ksersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2013, 11:16 PM   #56
pollus23

Watch: Casio
Superb thread!!!!! I'm looking for such an informative post. I like that first blue dial Rolex Watch....
pollus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 08:53 AM   #57
votepresident

Watch: Tiffany & Co NY NY
Note to self: search the forum before opening a thread of my own ^o^

thanks a lot guys, for all the info and the pics

I think my first Rolex will be an OQ :-D
votepresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2013, 05:44 AM   #58
boxbrownie
"TRF" Member

My faithful OQ......as accurate as my £45 Seiko???? Actually the Seiko keeps about dot on each year, the OQ gains about 2 seconds.....so I never complain, its a cracker.
[IMG][/IMG]

Of course the Seiko is only a couple of years old, my OQ from 1977 gives it a good run for its money, just look at the quality of the hands.......wonderfull
boxbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2013, 09:22 AM   #59
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Very very pretty watch. I really like the OQs
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 03:59 AM   #60
benoize
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 17000 OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechman View Post
Just recently sold:

Currently in wrist rotation:
Oohhhhh, that blue dial is just sooooo coooool!

Here's mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1730.jpg (40.1 KB, 1045 views)
benoize is offline   Reply With Quote