The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 October 2020, 01:15 AM   #31
gentb
Banned

My Daytona has always been +! but it doesn't bother me at all.
gentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:16 AM   #32
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb15 View Post
Congratulations, consistently 20 s/month is perfect.
yeah, my wear pattern and resting position doesn't change much day to day.
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:17 AM   #33
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smobews View Post
get yourself a $200 timegrapher on Amazon and see for yourself what the slowest position is for your watch. Rest it in that position at night.
Yes, one can only make statements if one has some reliable data. A timegrapher is also very useful to see the difference before/after a service of the watch caliber ... That was my way to spot that the initial 32xx calibers had severe problems.
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:17 AM   #34
258Pearl
"TRF" Member

Yes. Perfectly normal. As stated above, depends on how stored and how worn.

Better to be a little fast, since it's easier to hack to slow down.
258Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:24 AM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb15 View Post
For daily life, it’s not important if a mechanical watch deviates a few seconds per day, either + or -, compared to 86400 s/d.

Second, it’s basic and simple physics that the accuracy of each mechanical watch strongly depends on many parameters, such as initial calibre regulation, your wearing pattern, storage conditions, temperatures, shocks etc. Hence, tips how to place a watch, e.g. overnight, is of limited use for most cases.

BUT, if Rolex advertises and sells watches within concrete specifications, such as COSC accuracy and power reserve, and gives a 5-year guaranty, then new watches must run within these specs, at least for a certain time, independent how many seconds a day, a week, or a month has.

Nobody would accept to buy a car with nominal 200 HP that only delivers 120 HP, either after a week, a month or a year!
PRECISION
-2/+2 sec/day, after casing what does this mean well it was tested on a machine in a controlled environment and past test at time of testing. Much like when the bare uncased movements are tested to AVERAGE -4+6 seconds to get the COSC chronometer certification and its time of testing only just to say it was tested and passed. But on the wrist thats a totally different ball-game with very very many variables to overcome.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:24 AM   #36
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
All my Daytona's are the same, some are +1 and some are +2 and they stay like that every single day.

Positioning makes hardly any difference; they are incredible movements.

Esp compared to the speedmaster 1861 which is very sensitive to position. The 3861 is exactly the same as Daytona. Very consistent, very accurate.
True,4130 movement is the least position dependent of all brand watches I own and have owned .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:25 AM   #37
Smobews
"TRF" Member

A buddy of mine is an engineer, and spent most of his day working on a computer. His sub was face up on his wrist most of the day. His watch was consistently +2.5 spd. He retired and isn't constantly on the computer anymore. His watch is now consistently +1.5 spd.
Old 20 October 2020, 01:45 AM   #38
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
PRECISION
-2/+2 sec/day, after casing what does this mean well it was tested on a machine in a controlled environment and past test at time of testing. Much like when the bare uncased movements are tested to AVERAGE -4+6 seconds to get the COSC chronometer certification and its time of testing only just to say it was tested and passed. But on the wrist thats a totally different ball-game with very very many variables to overcome.
100% and that’s exactly what I tried to say, a watch is faced to cope with many different parameters. And, if under such a challenging environment the caliber deviation remains linear with time then you have a perfect mechanical watch. Hope it is clear what that means: if your watch is every day -10 s then it is perfectly adapted to its environment and your wear pattern. Such a movement you could regulate from this -10 s/d to whatever, for example +1 s/d. Sorry for repeating my "linear with time" argument. If that fact becomes clear, many other concerns or specific numbers are easier to discuss or understand.
Old 20 October 2020, 04:18 AM   #39
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Thanks guys! Just to be clear in case it seems like it, having the +2 wasn't a complaint Lol, I was just curious as to whether it was normal to constantly have it on a daily basis.

Cheers for all the replies

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 04:40 AM   #40
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_jrees View Post
Thanks guys! Just to be clear in case it seems like it, having the +2 wasn't a complaint Lol, I was just curious as to whether it was normal to constantly have it on a daily basis.

Cheers for all the replies
And to get back to your original question- not abnormal at all to be ONLY fast. If it's going to run fast or slow, my experience is that it's only going to do one of the two- not alternate back and forth.

I've got 3 5-digits from the early 2000's, and all run fast. Not a huge dataset, but mine are all on the fast side. Padi or someone more knowledgeable might be able to comment on whether fast is more common than slow, but as noted by someone else- I'd prefer to be on the fast side...worst case is you're early to an appointment.
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 04:48 AM   #41
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPWRPATX21 View Post
I've got 3 5-digits from the early 2000's, and all run fast. Not a huge dataset, but mine are all on the fast side. Padi or someone more knowledgeable might be able to comment on whether fast is more common than slow.
Confirmed, a bit fast is more common than slow, for all my serviced and new watches.
Old 20 October 2020, 04:50 AM   #42
doramas
Banned

I don't see any merit in it. It's normal, and it could be even more accurate. My Datejust has a movement 3135 with almost 32 years is in -0.26666 a day, or -8 seconds a month
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 05:00 AM   #43
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Although it's within the 2 seconds a day my Daytona since recent service is always +2 and it's every day... seriously it never falls back, it it normal to always have + and no - ?
Back to the original question from the OP
(a) it looks like a very good service
(b) every day +2 means that it's well regulated
(c) a regulation (after a service) of a few + s/d confirms what I observe too
Old 20 October 2020, 05:48 AM   #44
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I prefer a slight positive bias and every Rolex I've dealt with has been that way. My Daytona-C was last hacked to WWVB on 9/11 and in the 37 days since is now 13 seconds ahead, or .35 seconds per day. I'm pretty darn happy with that.

That level of accuracy is as good as most non-high-end quartz movements. I have a Seiko Solar diver that gains .33 seconds per day no matter how much or how little I wear it. Warm or cool, doesn't seem to matter.

I have a Breitling Chronomat, the first one released with the B1 movement and it always lost time, even after two services (one under warranty). Drove me to Rolex it did.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:05 AM   #45
Aterth
Banned

Maybe you should sell it.
Aterth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:29 AM   #46
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Although it's within the 2 seconds a day my Daytona since recent service is always +2 and it's every day... seriously it never falls back, it it normal to always have + and no - ?
It's behaving well; consistency is the best results!!! That amounts to a minute per month variance!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 09:11 AM   #47
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Just adjust the time every 2 months when I adjust the date for a 30 day month.

For anything below +\- 10s/day this is fine. Stop stressing over a few secs/day, if you need to be on time to the exact min all the time, then mechanical watches are not for you.
If your watch is -10 s/day then it’ll be 10 min off by the time you reset it, that might start to be a bit disruptive :)
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 09:49 AM   #48
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Rolex is engineered for consistent accuracy. You’re paying the premium for it. +/- 10s a day is out of the question. You have a five year warranty that covers adjustments to within +/- 1 minute a month. If your ok with worse then that type of performance out of your mechanical watch, buy a Tag and save some money.
Old 20 October 2020, 05:59 PM   #49
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aterth View Post
Maybe you should sell it.
Not gonna happen

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:46 AM   #50
bmb15
Banned

Always plus, never minus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
I don't see any merit in it. It's normal, and it could be even more accurate. My Datejust has a movement 3135 with almost 32 years is in -0.26666 a day, or -8 seconds a month

Great, just another confirmation that the 3135 movement is better than the 32xx series