The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 October 2020, 10:59 PM   #31
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asb396 View Post
Hahahah I’ll take the backhanded compliment! it’s been almost a year on the hunt for WG 1803 but to be completely honest, I don’t care if I take a loss on this one. I have a decent collection of all original vintage all acquired through patience and finding the right seller / price, this will end up being a daily for me and will be one of the last 3-4 I would sell. Sharp case and the interesting combination make this a fun one to wear. If it’s worth more in the future, great! If not I’ll enjoy it plenty. Just wanted to make sure there aren’t any massive red flags. The case is too good, I’m still working through it but am truly in enamored with this 1803.
My thought is that the case is "too" good. You just dont see them this good anymore. The other shady watches that the seller has is what put the sour taste in my mouth about it being original and those lugs not having been filled by the laser welder.
Old 19 October 2020, 03:43 AM   #32
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
That's the finest WG 18XX I've seen in many years. Look where the crown touches the case you see there's a hump on the case that extends out about 2mm from the edge of the bezel. On the other side the case extends out past the rim of the bezel.

Go to google and look at 18XX images, on most these original features have long been polished off to varying degrees. I don't believe this watch has ever been hit with the wheel;
I had never noticed that little hump. I took a few minutes and perused C24. I noticed some 1803s have the hump and some don’t. Is that the result of polishing or did some versions come from the factory without it?

Mine seems to have a hump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7999BFB9-0DE3-41FB-9530-C0438D5F0CD7.jpeg (77.0 KB, 65 views)
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 03:49 AM   #33
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
I think you're right That's got a nice defined flat spot there. Nice linen dial too
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:38 AM   #34
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
Is that the result of polishing or did some versions come from the factory without it?
I believe all 1803s had the hump between crown andn bezel, and some have been removed as a result of polishing.

It's a good "tell" for a fat 1803 case. If the hump is there, the rest of the metal is probably there, too.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote