The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

BLNR 10 seconds + / 24 hours

Noticed it the other day when I pulled it out the winder, Batman was a few minutes off. I didn’t notice it the last few times putting the watch on.

Ended up readjusting the time, and checked it over 24 hours. Running at +10 seconds the last day.

Thoughts? I’m thinking about bringing it in for service. It’s a 2019. Should be running +/-2 seconds...

Very surprised how off it is now. Only happened recently too, but really don’t know what I did. Nothing special happened to the watch. I do a 24 hour time check every once in awhile, and last time was maybe 6 months ago and it was running 3 seconds off in 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 04:07 PM   #2
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Keep it off the winder for a week then check the timing results before deciding if it needs to go in for regulating.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 04:49 PM   #3
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Noticed it the other day when I pulled it out the winder, Batman was a few minutes off. I didn’t notice it the last few times putting the watch on.

Ended up readjusting the time, and checked it over 24 hours. Running at +10 seconds the last day.

Thoughts? I’m thinking about bringing it in for service. It’s a 2019. Should be running +/-2 seconds...

Very surprised how off it is now. Only happened recently too, but really don’t know what I did. Nothing special happened to the watch. I do a 24 hour time check every once in awhile, and last time was maybe 6 months ago and it was running 3 seconds off in 24 hours.

Using a time app, set it to the second and have it fully wound......then wear it for a week.

Check any variance over that entire week....not 24 hours, and not on a winder
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:33 PM   #4
a1awan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain Fifty Fa
The watch came with 5 years warranty. Suggest you visit an AD and let him adjust the movement. A service should not be necessary nor should an adjustment cost you anything.
a1awan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:50 PM   #5
ffscala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi 126710BLRO
Just have it regulated free of charge. Very straightforward - had it done to my Explorer 2 at the AD recently and the watch is now +0.5 consistently.
ffscala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 07:27 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Just wear it for a week or two. Don't be letting ADs do on-the-fly adjustments. A thorough regulation takes days, and I doubt your watch needs that.
Old 18 October 2020, 07:36 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

This new marketing spec is a average of -2+2 seconds this dont mean it will perform every single day the same especially on one of those machine winder things. Many things effect mechanical movements on the wrist, such as earth's gravity, even mainspring-power reserve, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. And when they test the movement at Rolex many at a time in a controlled environment on a machine,time of tested could meet the -2+2 spec but on the wrist well thats a different story. So first get watch off the machine thing and give your watch a full manual wind 40 full crown turns clockwise only. Then set time with a reliable time source, wear as normal but for 8 hours a day. Check once daily with same setting source write down loss or gain. Do this for at least 5 days then average the loss or gain, if then well out of spec have it regulated. Although regulation is a very simple task it could take 3-4 weeks or longer before getting watch back from RSC.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 07:56 PM   #8
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Not how it should be, 116710 or 126710 ?

Send it in to RSC.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:24 PM   #9
DutchRudder
Banned

Take it to RSC and have them regulate it. 20 minute job.
DutchRudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:24 PM   #10
zagazar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 405.035 Datograph
I have noticed similar situation on winders for my different watch brands. JLC and TAG getting magnetized when on winder for a while and start running fast. TAG has ETA movement and JLC has its own in-house. However, my Daytona and BLNR are always running slow on a winder, despite correct settings.

Take it off from the winder and if it doesn't calibrate itself, then most likely it got magnetized and have it regulated.
zagazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:54 PM   #11
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Could be magnetized; worth checking on that before sending it to be regulated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:56 PM   #12
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1awan View Post
The watch came with 5 years warranty. Suggest you visit an AD and let him adjust the movement. A service should not be necessary nor should an adjustment cost you anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffscala View Post
Just have it regulated free of charge. Very straightforward - had it done to my Explorer 2 at the AD recently and the watch is now +0.5 consistently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRudder View Post
Take it to RSC and have them regulate it. 20 minute job.
There's too much definitive advice being offered here.

We know the symptom, not the cause. As such nobody here can comment on what needs to be done, how long it will take and if it will be free or chargeable.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:03 AM   #13
JodyHighroller
Banned

What brand is the winder? As mentioned previously it could very well be magnetized. The cheaper winders do not have adequate shielding. Best to not bother with them at all unless your watch has a high complication imo.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:06 AM   #14
Aterth
Banned

I think you should keep it off for some days and if it is still the same, then you take it to RSC and have them regulate it for you.
Aterth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 04:25 AM   #15
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I never even consider it could be magnetized, since I’ve had mechanical watches for a long time and never had an issue with it being magnetized before (and I don’t do anything in particular that could cause that).

I downloaded the Lepsi app on my iPhone, and tried it out. Funny enough, app says my watch is magnetized.

I didn’t quite believe it, but got a few of my other watches. 4 good, one other watch shown as magnetized (Omega SMP). The Omega SMP has been running at around 6 seconds fast, so didn’t really think anything wrong with it.

Anyone else try the Lepsi app?

Will let it run for a few more days and see how it’s running. Then try get it demagnetized and see how it runs.

Old 19 October 2020, 05:46 AM   #16
The Continental
Banned

To The Batcave!!!
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 05:59 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks. I never even consider it could be magnetized, since I’ve had mechanical watches for a long time and never had an issue with it being magnetized before (and I don’t do anything in particular that could cause that).

I downloaded the Lepsi app on my iPhone, and tried it out. Funny enough, app says my watch is magnetized.

I didn’t quite believe it, but got a few of my other watches. 4 good, one other watch shown as magnetized (Omega SMP). The Omega SMP has been running at around 6 seconds fast, so didn’t really think anything wrong with it.

Anyone else try the Lepsi app?

Will let it run for a few more days and see how it’s running. Then try get it demagnetized and see how it runs.

I highly doubt that lepsi app is accurate in determining whether or not the watch is magnetised.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 06:10 AM   #18
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I highly doubt that lepsi app is accurate in determining whether or not the watch is magnetised.

Yea, very questionable.

There’s a “calibration” procedure with the Lepsi app. You take a magnet and move it around on the iPhone to look for the magnet sensor in the phone. You actually see some number value show up and it did consistory get to the same high value when placing a magnet over that same location on the phone. Then you mark that spot, and that’s the spot you bring the watch over the phone for the app to say whether it’s magnetized.

Have you tried it? Would be curious what others think about it that have used it

Old 19 October 2020, 06:20 AM   #19
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

As others suggested. Wear it for a week and time it using app. Errors in measurements can easily account for the 8+ seconds of concerns

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 06:41 AM   #20
Throstle
"TRF" Member

Or get a small compass and bring it near to the watch. If the compass needle swings it shows that the watch could be magnetised. You can buy de magnetisers very cheaply for about £10. My 16710 started gaining about 18 seconds each day and by doing the above it Improved significantly. You can then repeat the compass trick to check that the magnetism has gone.
Throstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 09:39 AM   #21
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Another winder success story.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:58 PM   #22
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Another winder success story.

Doubt it’s my winder, but maybe I’m wrong.

All my watches go in the winder, and 4 of them didn’t have any issues. One was a 36mm Datejust.

I’d also expect some reasonable shielding from the winder... it’s a Wolf winder.

Old 19 October 2020, 01:08 PM   #23
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Just wear it and enjoy it. You also have a phone to check. Sending it it back for service might give you more problems. Unless the watch stopped and not working even after winding I wouldnt let anyone touch it. If they can fix that little problem good but your watch might come back with some scratches, chip etc. Then another problem.
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 06:25 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Exactly Bas I am sure if one of these so called apps told the person using it they had to hang upside for 10 minutes a day many would do it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 07:34 PM   #25
Leicaman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Exactly Bas I am sure if one of these so called apps told the person using it they had to hang upside for 10 minutes a day many would do it.
Why would it not be accurate. All it is doing is sensing a magnetic field. As soon as it senses a magnetic field it tells you so.

I was have big accuracy problems with my Junghans max bill chrono. It was gaining around 2 mins per day. I downloaded the Lepsi app. As soon as I brought the watch anywhere near the point on the phone that has a magnetic sensor, the app said the watch was magnetised. I bought a demagnetiser , ran the watch on it then checked it again on the app and the app said no magnetisation. Back on the timegrapher it was saying 3 secs per day. Wore the watch for a few days and the timegrapher wasn’t lying. Neither was Lepsi, it seems.

Have either of you tried the app and found it to be giving false readings? I’ve had nothing but success from it.
Leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 07:39 PM   #26
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Watch maker question ....

If using a demagnetizer should the watch be hacked or not ?
Should it be "empty" or can it be done with power reserve ?

I guess the safest option is no power reserve and hacked ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 08:39 PM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Try getting it demagnetized. This happens to my 16610 a few times a year. I reach into the fridge to pull out the milk, with my hand right past the door strip. When this happens it runs 8-12 sec fast and after being demagnetized, runs +2/3. It’s a flaw of Rolex that they have not invested more in antimagnetic movements as omega has. In today’s day and age with technology and magnets everywhere it’s a must.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 11:11 PM   #28
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Not how it should be, 116710 or 126710 ?

Send it in to RSC.

126710 by the way.

Old 19 October 2020, 11:25 PM   #29
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Naturally people will question how an app like this works.

How strong is the magnetic sensor in an iPhone.

How does it calibrate the magnetism detection.

What threshold does it use to determine if a watch is magnetized.

What value do you get for change in magnetism from just a chunk of metal.

What range do you need to detect to show magnetism.

I get there’s a bunch of useless apps out there. I mean there was an app that cost $50k and sold 10 copies before Apple pulled it off the App Store, which was a floating diamond that said I’m rich.

But just cause that’s the case doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Fratello did a review on the Lepsi scope that’s driven by their iPhone app, they also talk about the magnetism app that Lepsi has.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/leps...e-review/#gref

I’m not saying this magnetism app accurately works, I don’t know if it does. Someone would have to do some testing against known measurement devices.

Old 20 October 2020, 12:44 AM   #30
Speed
"TRF" Member

Was the perpetual calendar feature difficult to set?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote