The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 July 2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
How fast is "too" fast?

I recently received, as a fifth anniv. present from my wife, a K series SS Submariner. I love it and am not "complaining" but merely looking for info from those more knowledgeable.
As a test I synched it with an internet time site yesterday at noon and today, at noon, it had gained approx. 8 seconds.
Is that a lot, a little, nominal, a problem?
I know that the stated Rolex parameters are -1 to +5 seconds and that it can be calibrated to a greater level of accuracy if I send it to Rolex but to be honest, now that I have it, don't want to part with it even for a couple of weeks.
It is under warranty for a year but is that amount of time gain even worth worrying about?
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 06:30 AM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
some would worry - it should be no more than +6 seconds. that is there claim so i would have it checked because if the timing is out- you must ask why?. go and have it regulated before the warranty is up

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
I would give it a few months to "settle down." If it's still running fast by more than 5 seconds per day, send it in for regulating.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Depends a great deal on the internet time site you used..

You should set it to a known time standard (such as WWV, or Time.gov) and take note of the change after about a week, divide by he number of days to get a better average of how it performs each 24 hrs..

I like to be within 5 seconds per day before I think about regulation and I prefer to be within 2.

I do have some older watches that are out a bit more than that, but no Rolex..
Old 24 July 2008, 07:58 AM   #5
ratae1950
"TRF" Member

Nice gift

Nice gift. I'll forward the post to the missus.
Old 24 July 2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
time.gov and TRF show the exact same time. Is that your understanding, Larry?

For the OP, if it is a new watch, doesn't the consensus say to let it wear in a little? Or am I talking Voodoo Watchonomics again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

You should set it to a known time standard (such as WWV, or Time.gov) and take note of the change after about a week, divide by he number of days to get a better average of how it performs each 24 hrs..

I like to be within 5 seconds per day before I think about regulation and I prefer to be within 2.

Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
time.gov and TRF show the exact same time. Is that your understanding, Larry?

For the OP, if it is a new watch, doesn't the consensus say to let it wear in a little? Or am I talking Voodoo Watchonomics again?
TRF time looks to be your specific computer, while time.gov is the 'official' time. As long as you keep the site you use constant, I see no problems.
Old 24 July 2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Marrk
"TRF" Member

My laptop and time.gov show same time.

I don't know how that works, but it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
TRF time looks to be your specific computer, while time.gov is the 'official' time. As long as you keep the site you use constant, I see no problems.
Old 24 July 2008, 09:41 AM   #9
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

My 3130 movement (Explorer I) really starts to speed up as the power reserve is dwindling down. For the first 24 hrs, it's only +2-3s, but over the next 16-20 hrs(watch stationary), it becomes +8 seconds total. I know a lot of other movements do this, but are Rolex movements known for this as well?
DaveInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Dave,

Your comment is extremely interesting to me because it raises the question of the relationship between the power reserve and the power coming directly off the rotor. I would like to know from which the movement draws its power.

BTW, my 14060m has the same calibre movement as the Expy I and I have not observed the same +/- phenomenon that you have observed.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
My 3130 movement (Explorer I) really starts to speed up as the power reserve is dwindling down. For the first 24 hrs, it's only +2-3s, but over the next 16-20 hrs(watch stationary), it becomes +8 seconds total. I know a lot of other movements do this, but are Rolex movements known for this as well?
Old 24 July 2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Mark,

The rotor does not provide power to the movement in the way you're thinking (from how I interpret your post). The rotor provides wind to the mainspring each time it is activated by the movement of your wrist. It takes about 600 or so revolutions of the rotor to wind up the main spring.

The main spring is the power source, or where power is stored in the movement. As it unwinds, it drives the various wheels in the movement which then have hands connected to them so we can tell the time on the dial.

The main spring needs to be checked otherwise it will unwind in a matter of minutes. This checking is accomplished via the escapement. The balance spring when loaded by the pallet fork (driven by the escape wheel which takes power from the main spring), oscillates. In a Rolex movement, this is 28,800 times an hour or 8 beats a second.

The mainspring is optimised to deliver constant or linear power for around 24 hours after it's been wound. Time keeping would tend to suffer after this period if the watch is not wound, manually or otherwise as the main spring then starts to uncoil at a different torque level which then causes the movement to run quicker.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 04:20 PM   #12
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Lee,

That's a brilliant and clear explanation. Thank you! I'm going to read it over and try to urge my simple brain toward understanding it.

In the meantime, does it make sense for me to ask: Why doesn't the rotor (assuming adequate rotor movement) bring the mainspring up to the capacity that it would have with a manual wind? Then, the watch could run at the efficiency that you attribute to the 24 hr. period after a manual wind.

Or am I yet again missing something?

Many thanks,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Mark,

The rotor does not provide power to the movement in the way you're thinking (from how I interpret your post). The rotor provides wind to the mainspring each time it is activated by the movement of your wrist. It takes about 600 or so revolutions of the rotor to wind up the main spring.

The main spring is the power source, or where power is stored in the movement. As it unwinds, it drives the various wheels in the movement which then have hands connected to them so we can tell the time on the dial.

The main spring needs to be checked otherwise it will unwind in a matter of minutes. This checking is accomplished via the escapement. The balance spring when loaded by the pallet fork (driven by the escape wheel which takes power from the main spring), oscillates. In a Rolex movement, this is 28,800 times an hour or 8 beats a second.

The mainspring is optimised to deliver constant or linear power for around 24 hours after it's been wound. Time keeping would tend to suffer after this period if the watch is not wound, manually or otherwise as the main spring then starts to uncoil at a different torque level which then causes the movement to run quicker.
Old 24 July 2008, 04:58 PM   #13
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Mark,

If the watch starts out fully wound, say from manual winding, daily wear from say morning through to night, and an 'average' level of activity say walking, opening doors, driving, high fiving, dealing cards...you get my drift should be sufficient to keep the movement within optimal parameters. Lying it down for say 7 hours from bedtime till morning and then putting it on again should also keep it within optimal parameters.

Flickr
Blog
Old 24 July 2008, 06:40 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The TRF clock takes its time from your computer clock and is only as accurate as your own time server and the update cycle that you have set it for. Best to sync you computer to a time server just before you check your Rolex or you will never know where you are. My computer clock goes out otftime sync faster than some of my watches.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 06:51 PM   #15
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Get a Seiko

Seriously, you can better than +8 secs, I'd get it regulated
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 07:07 PM   #16
Jedi
"TRF" Member

And I'd like to add that my trusty old SubDate isn't too trustworthy at the moment, running +8/day... it's going back in as it's under service warranty... just ... have... to.... find... the time....

Flickr
Blog
Old 24 July 2008, 07:22 PM   #17
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

Sorry for being a little slow, I'm still a little unclear on whether Rolex movements speed up as power reserve dwindles. The Seiko 7S26, for example, is notorious for doing this. Mine will be +2s for the first day, and then will end up +20 seconds 3 days later when lightly worn.
Old 24 July 2008, 07:27 PM   #18
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Sorry for being a little slow, I'm still a little unclear on whether Rolex movements speed up as power reserve dwindles. The Seiko 7S26, for example, is notorious for doing this. Mine will be +2s for the first day, and then will end up +20 seconds 3 days later when lightly worn.

My experience is Rolex do the same , but maybe not as fast as that ,
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 10:18 PM   #19
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
If it was bought brand new from an AD, take it back and have him deal with it. The standard is -4 to +6 seconds per day.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:21 AM   #20
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Thanks, I thought that might be a better gauge.
Checking today (Thursday) at noon it has picked up 13 seconds in 48 hours so "hovering" a bit above +6. Will see what it is on Tuesday of next week.
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 02:49 AM   #21
ROA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

i always see posts saying watch is fast/slow...if one says it is slow by 2 seconds per day, for example. does that mean it is 1 minute slow per month (2 times 30 days?) or does it mean at any point in time, watch is late by 2 secs? in my case, my SD is late by 2 secs then after a few days, 3 secs, then back to 2, etc...the lag does not accumulate on a daily basis...could u clarify what -2 means please?
ROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 04:15 AM   #22
stuttgart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
8 sec a day seems little off...
stuttgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 04:16 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
For me, any Rolex more than 1 sec. fast per day is unacceptable....but then that's me!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 04:39 AM   #24
diamondgirl

Watch: Rolex YM mid SS
+ or - 4 to 6 seconds a day is in acceptable range. If it is running 8 seconds fast I would have it checked out. It is a K serial which means Mid 2001. It is possible that it has not been overhauled so I would suggest having it looked at now while it is under the dealers warranty (it would not be under Rolex warranty at this point).
diamondgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 05:30 AM   #25
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

Does the COSC certification only apply when the watch is worn regularly?

I've been tracking the accuracy for 60 hrs now (2 1/2 days exactly), and it's +12s. I haven't worn it, but I have wound it once so far. In summary, +2-3s after 24hrs, +6s over the NEXT 16-20hrs (still running on original PR), then I wound it. At 48hrs from when I started tracking it, itwas +10s, which is technically +5/day, but again, it did a lot better the first day than the second day (+7-8s).
Old 25 July 2008, 04:03 PM   #26
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
If it was bought brand new from an AD, take it back and have him deal with it. The standard is -4 to +6 seconds per day.
Yes and that's the COSC's standard. However, Rolex has stricter standards and that's why they call Rolex "superlative" chronometers.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 06:42 PM   #27
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

Just checked my Explorer I, +13 seconds after exactly 3 days (72 hrs). One handwind during this time. Could be better, but could be worse, I suppose.
Old 31 July 2008, 09:22 AM   #28
Doug507
"TRF" Member

You're not alone, Dave...

Quote:
I find this possibility utterly fascinating, and your post utterly timely. I recently acquired a 14060M non-COSC (3130 movement) and I have been carefully monitoring its accuracy. THe first couple weeks I wore it 24/7 and it ran an average of 5.2 seconds fast per day. Since then, I've noticed it has started gaining more and more, up to 8 seconds/day now.

The only thing that's changed is that I have been wearing other watches some of the time, so my Sub sits on my dresser for hours. I couldn't figure out what was going on... until your post.

Is that what's going on here?
Doug507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2008, 09:40 AM   #29
Doug507
"TRF" Member

This is fascinating to me...

I recently acquired a Y-series 14060M (non-COSC) and have been carefully tracking its accuracy (3130 movement). When I wear it 24/7 it runs an average of 5.3 sec/day fast. Recently I began wearing it occasionally, and it runs 8 sec/day fast. I haven't wound it since I bought it. It's been driving me nuts...

Sooo... what am I doing wrong? Do I really need to wind it? This was neve an issue with my 1986 GMT Master II...
Doug507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2008, 02:56 PM   #30
Marrk
"TRF" Member

I tracked my new Z-series 14060m COSC for 30 days. It lost an average of 2.11 seconds per day. I did not notice any speeding up or slowing down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug507 View Post
I recently acquired a Y-series 14060M (non-COSC) and have been carefully tracking its accuracy (3130 movement). When I wear it 24/7 it runs an average of 5.3 sec/day fast. Recently I began wearing it occasionally, and it runs 8 sec/day fast. I haven't wound it since I bought it. It's been driving me nuts...

Sooo... what am I doing wrong? Do I really need to wind it? This was neve an issue with my 1986 GMT Master II...