The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2017, 02:04 AM   #1
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
A Year On The Wrist

Since I got my watch just about a year ago, I thought I’d do a longish writeup of my experience. Some of my comments will pertain to all Rolexes and not just my platinum Daytona.

A quick summary: I got a two-tone Datejust in 1985, wore it daily until last year and always thought it was one of the great purchases of my life. But in the summer of 2016, I started to ponder the idea of getting a second watch. I got intrigued with the new SS Daytonas, fell in love, and put down a deposit on one. I then discovered TRF, lost my patience, and splurged on a platinum version that was about a year old. I know that isn’t a choice everyone can make, and I also know I seldom desire really extravagant things, so this wasn’t just a splurge of the month for me.

The watch has been fantastic! I admit I don’t usually second guess my very, very occasional major purchases (thankfully) and this has been no exception. I love the weight of the watch, the look of the dial and bezel, and everything about it. Compared to my old trusty DJ, I really like the sapphire crystal, which is just so clear and clean looking compared to the plastic (?) crystal on my DJ. It also sits so much more flush on the watch with a lower profile. I have replaced the crystal on my DJ probably every time I got it serviced, but have not banged this watch even once. I am probably more aware of this watch than the old one, but also the lower profile helps as well. And being 58, rather than 26.

I do find the watch to be very “under the radar,” especially the idea that it is platinum. I have had two friends comment on the watch in the year I’ve had it. One asked if it was a Daytona and complimented it, and on Friday night at a party another friend complimented the watch and asked what kind it was.

I don’t often engage the chronograph feature, as it had an issue when I first got it. That has been fixed by RSC (brought into Beverly Hills who shipped it to PA to fix). They did a “full service” on it and it has been working and running perfectly since then. By “perfectly,” I mean perfectly! I set the time exactly for DST a month and a half ago, and it is still within a 1/2 of 1 second of being dead on! Unbelievable! Since I wear this every day, I love the accuracy. Now that the chrono works perfectly, as it should, I have used it occasionally just for fun. It is very crisp in its execution, but I can't compare the feel to other chronos, since I don't know how they feel.

I struggle to rotate my DJ into the mix for a day once a month when the date comes around. I still like the DJ, but never really want to wear it over the Daytona. I was married in it, did everything for 31 years with it on my wrist, but may ultimately sell it. I don’t know.

I certainly can not say that the platinum version, even where the price tag is doable, makes sense. Only you can figure that out. But knowing it’s platinum, and feeling the weight of it and seeing the beauty of it, makes me feel good every time I strap it on, which is first thing in the morning. And the ice blue dial, which sometimes looks blue, sometimes silver, and occasionally has a greenish hue to it, works great for me. I find that although the weight of the watch is REALLY noticeable when I pick it up and put in on my wrist, it melts away in a few moments. But if I consciously think about it, yes I know it’s there. I wear it much tighter than my DJ, but it is super comfortable. Once in a while I let out the micro adjustment, but it makes the watch tend to slip a bit on the wrist, which I don’t always want.

I don’t wear the watch working out, running or playing sports, but pretty much doing everything else. Well, I take it off if I’m moving furniture or swapping winter wheels onto the car, but you get the drift. There are definitely scratches on the clasp (those showed up within a day or two) and on some of the PCLs. I am careful about not banging the watch, and haven’t banged the case (amazingly!), but don’t sweat the surface scratches. This is not a watch I worry about. IMO, if you are going to worry about those teeny scratches, which can be polished away if you are so inclined, it will just take away from your enjoyment.

Ah, I just realized I hadn't mentioned legibility. I find the watch easy to read, except in really low light, or when the hour and minute hand are close to the bottom sub dial (around 5:30). Then I have to study the watch for a second to read the time. Legibility is not as good as my black Tapestry dialed DJ with gold hands, but is plenty fine for me.

So, yes, I love everything about this watch, and think it would be perfect in a one watch collection. Or a small collection. To me, it’s the ultimate version of my favorite watch. I’d feel funny having this sit in a safe very often, but if you are going to wear it every day, and it puts a smile on your face like it does mine, I find it well worth the price tag. Anyway, that is my way too long year in review!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0406.jpg (290.6 KB, 1524 views)
Old 18 December 2017, 02:12 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I really enjoyed reading your review

I think it's neat that you went from wearing your DJ for so many years and then decided to jump into the deep end.

It just goes to show that it's not what you spend on a watch that makes it special, but rather it's the feeling you get from wearing it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:25 AM   #3
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Nice story and what a beautiful Daytona you have. Congrats and wear it in good health!
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:28 AM   #4
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Excellent reflections. The new Daytona is amazing. I appreciate that you just wear it and don't worry about scratching it. It's wonderful that you kept your DJ. I picked up a ceramic Everose Daytona about a year ago and the rest of the collection is hardly worn anymore. . .so I understand your rotation struggle.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:29 AM   #5
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Nice story and what a beautiful Daytona you have. Congrats and wear it in good health! BTW my first Rolex was a DJ TT new@ 1987
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:30 AM   #6
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Thanks for sharing OP,,
thats a beautiful piece,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:33 AM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very well written.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:34 AM   #8
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great review. Hearing the thoughts of someone who has worn the watch daily for so long is the best way to get a true sense of how it must feel.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and here's to many more years with that beauty!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:35 AM   #9
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Wonderful write up.

One question- are you looking at getting another watch anytime soon? Or is this it for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:44 AM   #10
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Great honest review the Platona being at the top of the hill looks to be living up to it's name. I do think it is a beauty and hope someday can start my day looking at that beautiful dial. Great review and ''Happy Holidays''
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:49 AM   #11
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Great review. Hearing the thoughts of someone who has worn the watch daily for so long is the best way to get a true sense of how it must feel.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and here's to many more years with that beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very well written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
Thanks for sharing OP,,
thats a beautiful piece,,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Nice story and what a beautiful Daytona you have. Congrats and wear it in good health! BTW my first Rolex was a DJ TT new@ 1987
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Excellent reflections. The new Daytona is amazing. I appreciate that you just wear it and don't worry about scratching it. It's wonderful that you kept your DJ. I picked up a ceramic Everose Daytona about a year ago and the rest of the collection is hardly worn anymore. . .so I understand your rotation struggle.
Ha! I think all the Daytonas are awesome and had no intention of "going big" when the journey started. SS is great, PM is great. They are all great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I really enjoyed reading your review

I think it's neat that you went from wearing your DJ for so many years and then decided to jump into the deep end.

It just goes to show that it's not what you spend on a watch that makes it special, but rather it's the feeling you get from wearing it
Well put! Get what's right for you and enjoy the heck out of it. A bigger price tag doesn't necessarily mean a more special experience for the buyer.
Old 18 December 2017, 02:51 AM   #12
eonflux
"TRF" Member

That could be the perfect "one watch".
Dressy enough when needed, and works well for casual situations too.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:54 AM   #13
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
Wonderful write up.

One question- are you looking at getting another watch anytime soon? Or is this it for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I admit that reading TRF is bad for "standing pat." But 95% of the time, I can't imagine wanting to wear something else. I am not one that immediately looks to the next thing when I buy something. I am more someone who can buy something and then be so satisfied and happy with it that I have little interest in buying other things. I do slightly ponder the idea of getting a dress watch but would not spend big bucks on it. This made sense to me because I get to enjoy it every day, and I do. But putting equivalent money into a sweet dress watch that I would wear once a week or whatever doesn't make as much sense to me. But this place is a bit dangerous...
Old 18 December 2017, 03:09 AM   #14
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:11 AM   #15
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Excellent post. I have a current thread on here where I am contemplating making my DD my daily or main watch. I am fortunate to own a modern Sub C and Bluesy, but they don't make me feel like the DD does.

I understand when you describe how it makes you "feel". When I strap on the DD in the morning those first few moments when you feel the beautiful balanced weight of the gold, the warmth, and just enjoying the overall aesthetic make my day. It is priceless to me.

I love my two subs but they do not elicit the same emotion. There are so many watches, from other great brands that I am sure would be a joy to own, but would probably not make me feel like the DD does.

So a very interesting post, I will continue my journey, perhaps I am entering the "less is more" phase of watch ownership. I think that could be a good thing.

Thanks for sharing.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:14 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you are going to have just one watch, this would be hard to beat.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:16 AM   #17
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Great honest review the Platona being at the top of the hill looks to be living up to it's name. I do think it is a beauty and hope someday can start my day looking at that beautiful dial. Great review and ''Happy Holidays''
Thanks and same to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
That could be the perfect "one watch".
Dressy enough when needed, and works well for casual situations too.
I'm 100% in agreement. But I know lots of folks here like variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Beautiful watch!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Excellent post. I have a current thread on here where I am contemplating making my DD my daily or main watch. I am fortunate to own a modern Sub C and Bluesy, but they don't make me feel like the DD does.

I understand when you describe how it makes you "feel". When I strap on the DD in the morning those first few moments when you feel the beautiful balanced weight of the gold, the warmth, and just enjoying the overall aesthetic make my day. It is priceless to me.

I love my two subs but they do not elicit the same emotion. There are so many watches, from other great brands that I am sure would be a joy to own, but would probably not make me feel like the DD does.

So a very interesting post, I will continue my journey, perhaps I am entering the "less is more" phase of watch ownership. I think that could be a good thing.

Thanks for sharing.
My FIL wore a DD every day for 30 or 40 years. I think it's also a great "one watch" watch. Wear it like Nicklaus does/did!
Old 18 December 2017, 03:44 AM   #18
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
The watch is amazing and I completely agree with everything you perfectly described!!

Irregardless of the price tag the complete package brings so much to the table and how you handle the ownership is what I believe it is all about!

Very nice!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 04:06 AM   #19
topjimmi
"TRF" Member

Great watch and great review.
topjimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:22 AM   #20
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
That's a good read and description, love that watch, thanks for posting!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 06:16 AM   #21
drefrank

That was a terrific one year review. You clearly made the right decision in purchasing the watch.
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 06:26 AM   #22
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Great review of the watch. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 06:37 AM   #23
And1dre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thx for sharing! Enjoyed reading it
And1dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 07:16 AM   #24
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Great review real life review. I have to say with some watches I cant see the value in the price, but with this one I can. One of my grails for sure!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 07:49 AM   #25
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Great review! I wear mine at least 5 days a week. Love strapping it on and at least once a day I don’t just look at it, but marvel at it! If choosing a one and only PM watch....this would be it, hands down! I enjoy every minute of it.
Glad to see you’re enjoying that beauty!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 08:31 AM   #26
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Thanks for the superb review. My wife urged me to buy mine as, irrespective of the price, she liked the Platona the most of all the Rolexes we looked at. When I die, she inherits it and will wear it instead of her YM.

The weight is interesting as although it is heavy, once it is on the wrist I do not notice it at all. I wear mine to the gym and running. I am 68 so I don't care if it gets dinged up.

It is my final watch, unless my eyes get worse which in that case I will buy the smurf.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 09:02 AM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Great write up.

Being that I just bought the WG on OF this really strikes a nerve with me.

Glad to see that you are enjoying it this much. I anticipate that this will be my end all be all watch as well.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 09:05 AM   #28
maylebox
"TRF" Member

An excellent post OP. I thoroughly enjoyed the read, thanks for taking the time to share it.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 09:07 AM   #29
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Fantastic review. That is my grail watch. I used to think $500 was expensive for a watch. This place is definitely bad for the wallet. ;-)

In all seriousness.... you can admire a watch any where and any time. I've escaped many a boring (and some very stressful) teleconference calls by staring at my watch. Pretty sure I'd have lost my mind by now without it. Money well spent. ;-)
Old 18 December 2017, 09:17 AM   #30
AndyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Great review and well written thank you. Congrats, what a beauty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote