The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 April 2018, 12:43 PM   #1
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

AD Discount on 15400ST Silver Dial, or TRF TS?

• I'm considering a 15400 with the silver dial. Going to see one in person for the first time on Thursday at the Vegas boutique-- planned the trip in part around seeing that watch.
  • I've already been in touch with a sales advisor at the boutique, and she knows what I'm interested in.
  • What's the general sense of whether I'd be stuck paying MSRP or whether they'd give any consideration?
  • I'd be a first-time AP customer and would absolutely be wearing it and not storing in a safe or flipping it.
  • My only other major watch purchase was through a TS here (Thanh/AkaTakuya) and it was a flawless process at a great price.
  • I'm curious whether there's much room to move at an AD. I've seen posts on here about other brands and models seeing as much as a 20-25% discount at ADs (on PM Rolex models, from what other users suggested) and the grey pricing is comparable to that pricing that those users reported.

Appreciate any thoughts, insight, etc!
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 01:08 PM   #2
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
A year ago you used to be able to get 20% off on silver and black dial 15400's from AD's. Nothing from boutiques. Now, discounts are much more limited and you'll be lucky to get 10% off on the black and silver dials.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 01:22 PM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
At a boutique/AD you’re looking at MSRP. Some people here will say you can get 10% off but they are either living in 2016 or have significant AP purchase history and got a gift.

Even a TS is going to be MSRP if it’s BNIB or damn close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 01:25 PM   #4
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
A year ago you used to be able to get 20% off on silver and black dial 15400's from AD's. Nothing from boutiques. Now, discounts are much more limited and you'll be lucky to get 10% off on the black and silver dials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
At a boutique/AD you’re looking at MSRP. Some people here will say you can get 10% off but they are either living in 2016 or have significant AP purchase history and got a gift.

Even a TS is going to be MSRP if it’s BNIB or damn close.

Thanks guys. If I fall in love, looks like the trick will be getting one at MSRP without tax, or getting the boutique to discount to make up for tax and just pay straight MSRP.
Old 9 April 2018, 01:28 PM   #5
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
AD Discount on 15400ST Silver Dial, or TRF TS?

Actually, I may back pedal just a little on what I wrote. You won’t get a discount at a boutique on any dial, but possibly a very small one from an AD on a less desirable dial. Not sure if the silver qualifies since I have been focusing on the blue dial.

But for the most part, long shot....

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

I was under the impression that AP is reducing AD stock and pushing more sales through boutiques. Discounts may be hard to come by, unfortunately.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 05:35 PM   #7
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
Thanks guys. If I fall in love, looks like the trick will be getting one at MSRP without tax, or getting the boutique to discount to make up for tax and just pay straight MSRP.
Most boutiques are refraining from giving discounts on almost all models especially any SS product. If you are hoping to get even the tax off at the Vegas Boutique you may be a bit taken back. You should look at ADs or grey for discounts.

However, always give it a shot and see what happens, but don’t be surprised if they say MSRP + taxes on top on the 15400.

I’ll be heading to Vegas soon and hope to check out the Diver in person.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 06:05 PM   #8
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Zero at boutique but you get 5 years warranty and some goodies.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 11:09 PM   #9
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

As I've posted in the other thread. 15400 black and white in Singapore are available from greys at a discount.

I also just learnt that models from 2017 onwards are given 5 years warranty, whether from boutique or not. I can verify this with my own purchase of the diver in May 2017 through a grey, from an overseas AD.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AP take a dim view of ADs discounting these now so you'll be lucky to get one, and only probably from one who doesn't expect to be an AD much longer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 01:08 AM   #11
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
AP take a dim view of ADs discounting these now so you'll be lucky to get one, and only probably from one who doesn't expect to be an AD much longer.
Gotcha. So it sounds like a grey purchase/TRF TS is the way to go to avoid sales tax, yes? Just trying to get my ducks in a row if I end up loving the 15400 when I see it this week.
Old 10 April 2018, 01:09 AM   #12
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
Zero at boutique but you get 5 years warranty and some goodies.
What are the goodies? Curious!
Old 10 April 2018, 01:57 AM   #13
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

You are going to pay MSRP at a boutique, maybe avoid sales tax if they will ship it back to CA for you.

You will save a little money buying from gray dealer but will not have your name on the warranty book, nor the boutique "experience". What are those worth to you?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 03:16 AM   #14
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npalacio View Post
You are going to pay MSRP at a boutique, maybe avoid sales tax if they will ship it back to CA for you.

You will save a little money buying from gray dealer but will not have your name on the warranty book, nor the boutique "experience". What are those worth to you?
Perhaps I should clarify-- the TRF TS I dealt with previously is what I referred to as a grey dealer. My SubC from Thanh was at an incredible price and has my name on the warranty card.
Old 10 April 2018, 03:56 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Perhaps I should clarify-- the TRF TS I dealt with previously is what I referred to as a grey dealer. My SubC from Thanh was at an incredible price and has my name on the warranty card.

Trahn is not an AD, not sure how your name could be on the warranty card from Rolex, unless it was left blank from whatever AD he procured it from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10 April 2018, 04:03 AM   #16
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npalacio View Post
Trahn is not an AD, not sure how your name could be on the warranty card from Rolex, unless it was left blank from whatever AD he procured it from.

It's Thanh, not Trahn. And yes, the card was left blank. Which means my name is on it now.
Old 10 April 2018, 04:06 AM   #17
Bonobuds
"TRF" Member

I just bought a BNIB 15400 in white from Than. There are discounts at AD’s if you are willing to wait until 2019 for delivery. If you want it now, it’s MSRP.
Govberg has a used 15400 for sale at a premium! There is one for sale on this forum from a grey, he’s asking $17,250. If I was you, I would contact Than & tell him what you want, he will be able to deliver below MSRP. Don’t worry about the papers, it’s not like PP, Your name isn’t listed
Bonobuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 04:11 AM   #18
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's Thanh, not Trahn. And yes, the card was left blank. Which means my name is on it now.

Lol, relax. I have bought a few pieces from him over the years, just misspelled his name. Wearing one now:

Old 10 April 2018, 06:13 AM   #19
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
What are the goodies? Curious!

AP give gifts to clients and this is done through the boutiques. If you buy through the boutique then AP know who you are, whereas if you buy through a grey dealer they don’t. Gifts aren’t always available and they can be quite expensive items so it’s not unusual for the offer of a gift to be triggered after multiple purchases. Desk clocks, watchwinders and Bluetooth speakers are items that I know of.

Apart from material items AP also invite guests on factory tours all expenses paid. My factory visit came after buying my third AP but I’ve known people who were invited on their first purchase and I’ve known people receive an invite with no AP purchases but a proven track record of buying expensive watches.

In addition to the factory visits AP also do golf days with pros like Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke. These events are held at top golf clubs and generally combine golf with lots of alcohol.

There’s nothing wrong in buying through grey dealers as that will get the watch on your wrist at the best price. But buying through ADs and the boutiques gets you known by the brand and that gives AP the chance to show their appreciation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:19 AM   #20
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info, that's pretty interesting. That's a definite positive in the boutique category, but from what I can tell from other users here, the spread between a boutique purchase with full MSRP and tax and the pricing from top trusted sellers here at TRF could be as much as $3k. At that point, it's a hard sell to think that the boutique purchase is worth it. $3k is worth my attention, you know?
Old 10 April 2018, 08:51 AM   #21
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
If you are looking for a significant discount then boutique is not the option. Check trusted TRF sellers for a fair price. Enjoy the trip to Vegas!!
arosado is offline   Reply With Quote