The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Hyperion
"TRF" Member

Which Royal Oak or Royal Oak Offshore?

Hi,

I'm considering a Royal Oak or Royal Oak Offshore. After a few weeks of research, trying a few watches on etc, I've narrowed it down to a first generation Offshore (ref. 25721ST), the new "25th anniversary" reissue (ref. 26237ST), "Elephant" (Ref. 26470ST) or "Messi" (ref. 26325TS) in steel.

My first questions is if it makes any sense investing twice the money on the reissue (26237ST) of the original model (25721ST) in relation to future and long term value. "Messi" is a Limited Edition, which can be found at around the same price used as the reissue of the original Offshore. The "Elephant" is the joker at this point, and probably the worst "investment" of the bunch.

On the wrist, I'm sure I will be pleased with any of these alternatives. What things boils down to then is the potential future demand and value, which is always a guessing game to a degree.

Any advice are most welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71655c3b378011d06f73f40c069b6011.jpg (46.4 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg a02374226ac573c4b5781742b32e6589.jpg (57.5 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg 6f2b82f6cc45fac040ace3bf2ad937df.jpg (68.3 KB, 371 views)
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:50 PM   #2
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Why not used 25721ST in good condition? Factor in some cost for servicing too
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:55 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I like the elephant. The Messi is nice but was a bit small on my wrist.

When I buy a watch it’s because I really want that watch and not because I’m trying to second guess the market. My platinum 44 is probably terrible from an investment point of view but it’s the only watch I’ve ever owned that I put on every day and still love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Hyperion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
Why not used 25721ST in good condition? Factor in some cost for servicing too
Yes - this is where I'm leaning at the moment. The challenge would then be to find a watch in great condition with a clean service history from a reputable seller.
Old 11 April 2018, 10:25 PM   #5
Hyperion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

When I buy a watch it’s because I really want that watch and not because I’m trying to second guess the market. My platinum 44 is probably terrible from an investment point of view but it’s the only watch I’ve ever owned that I put on every day and still love.

The main challenge with the Messi is that it's so rare and hard to find from someone trustworthy within reach.

As of earlier, I believe I would be a happy man with any of the watches mentioned aesthetically. Both the RO 41mm and ROO fits my wrist nicely.
Old 11 April 2018, 10:36 PM   #6
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

This! So weird how people use future value as a driving factor. No way you're actually buying a watch you will love to wear if you're super concerned about that before even purchasing.

If the piece in question doesn't have a great resale, simply buy it grey or lightly used to circumvent any immediate loss.

Buy something you truly enjoy aesthetically and how it feels on your wrist. Do you buy a pair of shoes or a suit thinking about future value? No.

Just my 2c.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 10:50 PM   #7
Hyperion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
This! So weird how people use future value as a driving factor. No way you're actually buying a watch you will love to wear if you're super concerned about that before even purchasing.

If the piece in question doesn't have a great resale, simply buy it grey or lightly used to circumvent any immediate loss.

Buy something you truly enjoy aesthetically and how it feels on your wrist. Do you buy a pair of shoes or a suit thinking about future value? No.

Just my 2c.
I agree, which is why I've added the following to the initial post:

"On the wrist, I'm sure I will be pleased with any of these alternatives. What things boils down to then is the potential future demand and value, which is always a guessing game to a degree."

In other words, the price and potential long term value are strong, final factors.
Old 11 April 2018, 11:36 PM   #8
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’d go for the original Beast. I much prefer the subtle patina of the aged dual over the slightly sparkly dial of the reissue.

Some photos of the reissued version here
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=596145
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 11:37 PM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

Just my 2c.
Emphatically agree!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 11:46 PM   #10
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

is its your one and only watch, then i'd go for the messi as the other 2 might be too big for everyday use.
if you already have a 'smaller' watch like a rolex sub or something similar or a dress watch like a patek, then i'd go for the beast.
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 11:48 PM   #11
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Picked the original ROO up a few months ago and it’s definitely a fun watch. I used to own the elephant and the beast is a lot more satisfying in my opinion
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 11:55 PM   #12
Hyperion
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Picked the original ROO up a few months ago and it’s definitely a fun watch. I used to own the elephant and the beast is a lot more satisfying in my opinion
That's very valuable, thank you.

Are there any specifics to consider in relation to this particular model in your opinion?
Old 11 April 2018, 11:57 PM   #13
Hyperion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeamer View Post
is its your one and only watch, then i'd go for the messi as the other 2 might be too big for everyday use.
if you already have a 'smaller' watch like a rolex sub or something similar or a dress watch like a patek, then i'd go for the beast.
I've got a PAM 233, IWC Big Pilot, Omega Speedmaster and Speedmaster MKII since before. So no, this will not be my only (or last) watch.
Old 11 April 2018, 11:59 PM   #14
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Ahhh..... the infamous investment thread again!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 12:03 AM   #15
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
That's very valuable, thank you.

Are there any specifics to consider in relation to this particular model in your opinion?

This article is probably the best overview of the Beast that I’ve read:

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...-oak-offshores
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 12:44 AM   #16
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I don't care what people say when you buy a watch one of the factors to consider is the market situation of the watch , period. Its important , not saying that is investment, very few watches are. This is my motto "Never invest on watches , buy what you love but never ever ,ever buy a watch without considering value retention "

The only people that buy watches without caring about value retention falls in 3 categories:
1) They have the money and don't care about loses
2) They buy watches and 90% of the time they never sell
3) dumb

Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:01 AM   #17
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I don't care what people say when you buy a watch one of the factors to consider is the market situation of the watch , period. Its important , not saying that is investment, very few watches are. This is my motto "Never invest on watches , buy what you love but never ever ,ever buy a watch without considering value retention "

The only people that buy watches without caring about value retention falls in 3 categories:
1) They have the money and don't care about loses
2) They buy watches and 90% of the time they never sell
3) dumb

Cheers

I 100% agree with this....the current 'market situation'. Exactly why I said one should consider purchasing the watch via grey market or lightly used if it has horrible resale. However, OP is talking about 'future value' and 'long term value'. I think that's a little silly, because at that point, you're attempting to look at a watch like an investment.

As long as your initial purchase will have you in fairly neutral territory on a flip, that is all one should be concerned with IMO.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 02:29 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like most the Messi of those, quite a unique piece. Don't think about investment as the guys say, but do your research and see what price you can buy this for and what you can sell it for and then decide if you can AFFORD it, which is really what investment talk is about nowadays.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 04:36 AM   #19
Hyperion
"TRF" Member

To not consider the current and potential long term value of a watch within this price range seems unwise to me. Seeing it as an investment is another thing entirely though. If this was the case, I would look at Patek or Rolex instead. As mentioned in the initial post, this handful of watches have been chosen carefully based on look and feel first and foremost, where they do have quite a few attributes in common.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:11 PM   #20
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
My preference is the Messi. It's rare and looks great.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 05:05 PM   #21
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Messi is nice but the dial doesn’t have the tapisserie pattern which is odd for a Royal Oak. It has the biggest “AUTOMATIC” printing on the dial too lol
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 05:24 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
Messi is nice but the dial doesn’t have the tapisserie pattern which is odd for a Royal Oak. It has the biggest “AUTOMATIC” printing on the dial too lol
and thats the deal breaker on an otherwise nice looking watch. It looks even more like a Hublot then it would otherwise. Not sure that is the look OP is going for.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 05:31 PM   #23
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

I am in favor of the classic offshore look: THE BEAST
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote