The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 April 2018, 01:48 AM   #31
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Honestly didn’t have much to complain about. I also tried the Havana on a really cool green strap. Where you at bal harbor? If so they have the CS Pt in the back. I was merely pointing out that even though the prior version CS was long discontinued and frankly small overall production, they still had it in stock.

I am certainly drawn to journes case design over Lange which goes a long way.

I was at an AD (Govberg) in Philly. When I get a chance I plan to visit the boutiques in NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:16 AM   #32
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I love all three options, but the FPJ rugs at my heartstrings the most.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 04:43 AM   #33
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

So i made it to Manhattan today and hit up a lot of boutiques/salons and Wempe. Was quite a bit of fun.. no wife or kids slowing me down! Salespeople were universally very pleasant and knowledgeable too.

I’ve eliminated the Lange 1 from my short list .. just a tad thick /hockey puckish and as much as I wanted to be enamoured w the dial, it just felt flat to me - tried on the silver and the blue (sorry forgot to take pics of these).

I really liked the 1815 up/down ... both in pink gold and in white gold though I think the WG suits me better and is more versatile. Felt great on the wrist and the dial was clean and crisp yet not cold feeling like the Lange 1. The blued hands are gorgeus.

Also really liked the CS. Platinum had a great feel and was nice and thin . Guiolloche dial was beautiful. If I could change one thing it would for it to be 38-39mm instead of 40mm

The only other contender from today’s trip that is making me think the most is the PP 5205g - a dial that has recently captivated me, even more so w the Tiffany stamp that I saw today. Unfortunately it won’t be around long so can’t really “think about it” too long and it is both more expensive and significant thicker (11.36mm vs 8.5-8.7mm) on the wrist compared w the other two above.

Old 28 April 2018, 08:04 AM   #34
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
I wouldn’t choose platinum or white gold for any of these variants plus you canceled the option for a L1 a rose gold CS would be what I would get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 09:10 AM   #35
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I love the ALS and FPJ - you are right, the Journe could be a touch smaller. For some reason, I'm not a fan of the grey 5202. I think the black dial/RG looks amazing though. Between all 3, I'll probably go FPJ. There's just a certain cool factor, whereas there's something stuffy about PP and ALS.

I have a couple sports watches, including a 5167, and would like add a dressier piece in the coming years, so I'm very interested to see what you land on. Good luck with the hunt.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 09:56 AM   #36
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullasaif View Post
I wouldn’t choose platinum or white gold for any of these variants plus you canceled the option for a L1 a rose gold CS would be what I would get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a big fan of pink or yellow gold ordinarily - just doesn’t suit me or my attire/lifestyle. With that said, the 1815 up down in rose gold was very interesting. Don’t like the CS in rose gold.

Old 28 April 2018, 09:58 AM   #37
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
I love the ALS and FPJ - you are right, the Journe could be a touch smaller. For some reason, I'm not a fan of the grey 5202. I think the black dial/RG looks amazing though. Between all 3, I'll probably go FPJ. There's just a certain cool factor, whereas there's something stuffy about PP and ALS.

I have a couple sports watches, including a 5167, and would like add a dressier piece in the coming years, so I'm very interested to see what you land on. Good luck with the hunt.

I’m mostly a sports watch guy too (mostly Rolex). most recent acquisition is a 5167a. On a list for a 5711a but who knows when that will come . Trying to branch out and Reason I am drawn to the 1815 and CS are that they are fancier yet can totally be dressed down to my lifestyle / casual attire.

Old 28 April 2018, 11:15 AM   #38
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Why don't you search for a 38mm CS? They are out there, and there have been a number of dial changes too so options aplenty. Plus, it'll likely save you a lot of money!
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 03:43 AM   #39
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Why don't you search for a 38mm CS? They are out there, and there have been a number of dial changes too so options aplenty. Plus, it'll likely save you a lot of money!

I did look but couldn’t find one w silver dial... but will continue to hunt !

Old 4 May 2018, 12:18 PM   #40
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

CS would be my choice.
I just love the watch
Old 4 May 2018, 01:08 PM   #41
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Both beautiful, Journe by a hair, loved this one (40 mm) when I sampled it though I need to see how the 38 compares fit wise. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1472 2.jpeg (67.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 4 May 2018, 08:02 PM   #42
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
Both beautiful, Journe by a hair, loved this one (40 mm) when I sampled it though I need to see how the 38 compares fit wise. . .

Agree, though the 38mm seems near impossible to find !

Old 5 May 2018, 02:03 AM   #43
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Agree, though the 38mm seems near impossible to find !

I was told available/subject to an order placed but that was when I visited the boutique a year ago, not sure if that has changed . . .
Old 5 May 2018, 12:39 PM   #44
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
I was told available/subject to an order placed but that was when I visited the boutique a year ago, not sure if that has changed . . .

I was told you can no longer order the 38mm

Old 5 May 2018, 03:45 PM   #45
Timelover
Banned

Purely based on design, I much prefer Lange - exquisite timepieces. Can't comment on value retention of both but i think you should purchase the watch that you like more overall without thinking about the long term value.
Timelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 06:20 PM   #46
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I like the 1815 up/down from your list the most. If it’s up to me I will get a 1815 Chrono boutique edition in silver dial with blue text
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 05:20 PM   #47
Celter
"TRF" Member

I have the Journe Chronometre Bleu and the Lange 1815 up/down. I love both of them, but if I had to keep only one it would be the CB. I find that 38-39mm is the perfect size for a dresswatch. By, the way, I also love the CS, but when I tried the 40 mm versjon I found it a tad large. Anyway you simply can’t go wrong with and of these.
Celter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 10:19 PM   #48
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celter View Post
I have the Journe Chronometre Bleu and the Lange 1815 up/down. I love both of them, but if I had to keep only one it would be the CB. I find that 38-39mm is the perfect size for a dresswatch. By, the way, I also love the CS, but when I tried the 40 mm versjon I found it a tad large. Anyway you simply can’t go wrong with and of these.

First, thanks to everyone for their advice on this and another similar thread!

A few days ago I had the chance to try on both the CS and CB at the same time , and Celter I felt the same way you did - the 40mm CB felt just a tad too big on my wrist, which is a shame because I really loved it otherwise and really wanted to talk myself into saying the size was ok. BUT when I tried on the chronometre bleu , the size was just perfect and it fit like a glove. And it’s quite a watch! Same movement as the CS. The dial is just super cool, and the tantalum case was very different. Fit my minimally dressy / more casual style very well.... so I went for it! Should have it on Monday. At some point I will also probably get the Lange 1815 up/down WG silver dial as I really did love it and think it will complement the blue CB very well. Also getting a brown/tan strap for the CB which will give it a diff look I think.

Here’s a few pics of the two FPjs I tried on before deciding

Old 7 May 2018, 03:30 AM   #49
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was told you can no longer order the 38mm

Waited too long dang
Old 7 May 2018, 05:43 AM   #50
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
First, thanks to everyone for their advice on this and another similar thread!

A few days ago I had the chance to try on both the CS and CB at the same time , and Celter I felt the same way you did - the 40mm CB felt just a tad too big on my wrist, which is a shame because I really loved it otherwise and really wanted to talk myself into saying the size was ok. BUT when I tried on the chronometre bleu , the size was just perfect and it fit like a glove. And it’s quite a watch! Same movement as the CS. The dial is just super cool, and the tantalum case was very different. Fit my minimally dressy / more casual style very well.... so I went for it! Should have it on Monday. At some point I will also probably get the Lange 1815 up/down WG silver dial as I really did love it and think it will complement the blue CB very well. Also getting a brown/tan strap for the CB which will give it a diff look I think.

Great choice and congratulations!

How did you manage to get a CB so quickly though? Are you getting it from an grey dealer, because wait lists at ADs are over a year long.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 06:07 AM   #51
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Branching out—- FPJ or ALS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Great choice and congratulations!

How did you manage to get a CB so quickly though? Are you getting it from an grey dealer, because wait lists at ADs are over a year long.

Grey... nyc boutique told me 70 people on wait list and they get maybe 6-7 per year. Plus I had some watches I traded in toward the CB.

Old 7 May 2018, 08:38 AM   #52
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Grey... nyc boutique told me 70 people on wait list and they get maybe 6-7 per year. Plus I had some watches I traded in toward the CB.

Good for you!
Yes, NY boutique went from around 25 on the list in January to 70 now! Miami was 10 in February and around 30 now.
I'm on the list and anxiously waiting.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:42 AM   #53
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I am a Langer but do like that CS, shame size is not right for you but congs on the CB.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:49 AM   #54
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
FPJ for sure
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:30 AM   #55
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I am a Langer but do like that CS, shame size is not right for you but congs on the CB.

Thanks Neil- I have a feeling there will be a Lange on my wrist in 2018 or 2019!

Old 7 May 2018, 06:25 PM   #56
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
1815 up down in PG would be my choice!

busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote