The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 27 January 2018, 09:30 PM   #121
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Whatever the reasoning, I feel sorry for the ADs who’ve dropped substantial amounts of money into their retail and have nothing to sell.
I feel sorry for the bored AD staff. I walk pass the boutique almost daily and they would be looking down fiddling with their mobiles.With the latest turn of events, why even bother turning up for work.....
Old 27 January 2018, 09:30 PM   #122
Magwitch
Banned

I will check with my AD and see what they've heard officially. They are fairly willing to share. Luckily for me I have all the Rolexes I am likely to own as I am priced out of the market at this point. Very happy with what I have!
Old 27 January 2018, 09:34 PM   #123
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
They’ve got to make room in the production line for all those Cellini models...
Old 27 January 2018, 09:35 PM   #124
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I feel sorry for the bored AD staff. I walk pass the boutique almost daily and they would be looking down fiddling with their mobiles.With the latest turn of events, why even bother turning up for work.....
That’s a similar scene to our boutique as well.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:44 PM   #125
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
a revamp for the entire line ?
Or just the rumor buzz that comes out right before Basel.
Most of the time everyone will know after 2018 Basel previews.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:50 PM   #126
bjw
"TRF" Member

CONFIRMED news regarding the professional line

I know this will be buried in this thread and few will read it, but I fine it amusing how most everyone here thinks what Rolex is doing is bad business. I don’t understand how anyone could out right second guess what a company as successful as Rolex does?! There is so so SO much information that no one here is privy to. Why on earth would one feel they have a better handle in what is in the best interest for a business that is already completely clandestine?

Rolex has been a leader, because they don’t follow trends or take the obvious road. Successful company’s stay that way for that reason

Rolex has been around and will continue to be for a very long time. I think they know exactly what they are doing.

"Opinions are like wrist watches...everyone's watch shows a different time from others, but everyone believes that their time is correct."
Tudor 79220N
Tudor 79260P Panda

"Opinions are like wrist watches, everyone's shows different time from the other. But all believe that theirs is accurate. "
Old 27 January 2018, 09:56 PM   #127
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Very Very Interesting, Thanks Gerardo.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:59 PM   #128
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Assanine. Really.

Not you Gerardo. Rolex.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:00 PM   #129
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I thought this was likely Rolex move to combat against the iwatch, go further upmarket.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:08 PM   #130
yhzdude
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
Maybe they want to move the brand into a higher tier and somehow the professional line doesn't fit into that strategy, so they plan to slowly phase it out, and focus on purely high end luxury designs.
holly , all the rare to find SS, discontinued SS will go up in value, they will be more expensive than the PM. better go buy a bucket full of SS.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:10 PM   #131
yhzdude
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexsd4000 View Post
a revamp for the entire line ?
Or just the rumor buzz that comes out right before Basel.
Most of the time everyone will know after 2018 Basel previews.
yes they are trying to sell the old stock...scare tactic. So they can start fresh..after Basel.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:12 PM   #132
jph4387
2024 Pledge Member

Well this is troubling. I'm a prospective buyer who hoped to buy my first, a Sub, for my 35th later this year. Looks to me like I won't be able to afford one anymore. I guess it's on to my other bucket list watches at IWC or Omega.

My only hope left is that the news is because they're going to introduce new movements at Basel and shift production to those models. The question is, if the subs get an upgraded movement, what will happen to the aftermarket prices on current ceramic subs?
Old 27 January 2018, 10:12 PM   #133
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I heard this from an AD a couple of days ago and didn’t want to add another “my AD said” but he said the Rolex rep shared with him that Rolex already figured the new prices (15-30%) depending on the model and that it will be rolled out very soon! He wasn’t trying to sell me anything we were just chatting
Sure we are due for price increase but I don’t think anyone knows when or how much!

To be honest I still don’t believe that AD and will only believe any of that when/if it’s here
Old 27 January 2018, 10:19 PM   #134
Tanner
Banned

"Buyers in the UK won't notice any difference in stock levels at ADs."

I havnt noticed any difference in central London Ads since I bought my first Rolex in 1997, 14060.

The popular sports models have always been hard to find in stock.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 27 January 2018, 10:23 PM   #135
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Year in year growth maybe scaling back to control the market ?
Old 27 January 2018, 10:28 PM   #136
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
Maybe they want to move the brand into a higher tier and somehow the professional line doesn't fit into that strategy, so they plan to slowly phase it out, and focus on purely high end luxury designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Wonder why everyone's afraid to say it, but let's face it, Rolex is a political company. You ever taken a good hard look at the who's-who that wear these things? Rolex isn't in it to make a buck. They don't have to. That's why they're doing what they're doing.
There are some good laughs in this thread but these two get awards.

My guess is retooling for new movements in the subs.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:33 PM   #137
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhzdude View Post
yes they are trying to sell the old stock...scare tactic. So they can start fresh..after Basel.

How would reducing shipments sell the old stock? Rolex doesn’t own the sales channel, only the distribution subsidiaries. So they would be actually slowing down their wholesale volume by doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I thought this was likely Rolex move to combat against the iwatch, go further upmarket.

Although the Apple Watch (and others like it) are not in the same category as Swiss Mechanical Marvels - they do compete against Rolex for something that is in short supply...namely, “wrist real estate”.

As smart watches begin to do more convenient tasks via Apps for Millennials, Gen Y & Gen Z, the less likely they will be new customers. Unless of course they become “twin wristers”.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 27 January 2018, 10:36 PM   #138
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Maybe we should all just become reality good at tennis?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:39 PM   #139
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
We've been pondering the reasons why for over a year now in the UK, and given everything I think the most likely answer is Rolex are trying to reposition themselves higher up the luxury ladder. They don't need any gimmicks to justify a price rise, their products are like crack right now, and clearly maximising profits is not high on their agenda, so I can only conclude a realigning and the Patek-isation of Rolex is beginning.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:40 PM   #140
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhzdude View Post
holly , all the rare to find SS, discontinued SS will go up in value, they will be more expensive than the PM. better go buy a bucket full of SS.
Yes, this will happen if SS become even more scarce, but I don’t even care about any of that. A person should be able to walk into an AD and get what they want or be able to peruse a catalogue and order one ( or two.)

I almost want to say F&@% Rolex.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:45 PM   #141
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori
This is just not true. I talked with two close ADs and they don't know anything about this letter. Which makes no sense anyway...
I’ll ask mine later today, but the letter(s) may only be sent to the ADs who have enjoyed a higher volume of shipments from Rolex USA (versus other ADs).

Therefore, it might not be sent to every AD. Also, it might only impact higher volume markets. So it could be a “4th P” Marketing decision to balance global distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori
We're being trolled.

Such a censure and hurled epithet against one of TRF’s most tenured member and respected members is abhorrent to me. Gerardo is no troll and...

I hope you meant something else rather than a personal insult...

Old 27 January 2018, 10:47 PM   #142
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am onto this thread late but I am disappointed in Rolex as a brand and have already started to move away. I will not play games with watch availability and price increases that are driven by companies refusal to fill a sales demand or other unrevealed information. There are many other great brands on the market other than Rolex, PP or AP that can be acquired and enjoyed without all of the fuss. I have said in other threads that a bubble exists for these watches and it may not be done yet but at some point it will adjust. The value of an item is what someone will pay for it. Currently I am in a wait and see mode and do believe that we will see a price increase associated with Basel 18 as well as some new or modified models. There is not a Rolex on my current wish list and I will buy a Tudor and Omega this year as well as look at Zenith and VC. I always appreciate the information provided by members but I would also love to see a corporate release of information from Rolex.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:47 PM   #143
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Aren't we supposed to take this "confirmed" thing with some salt? I mean, it's just one data point.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:49 PM   #144
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

How about this theory ??? After seeing how much a lot of the their newer models have increased in this market, they have decided to hold them for a while and cash in on the higher prices themselves. (I don't really believe this, just a theory).
Old 27 January 2018, 10:49 PM   #145
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Im still waiting for a Basel 17 release, total bs that 18 show will come before they even fill a 17 announced model. Humpf
Old 27 January 2018, 10:50 PM   #146
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Aren't we supposed to take this "confirmed" thing with some salt? I mean, it's just one data point.

Agree and I think Steve addressed just that point in an early post...could be a very narrow targeted adjustment in distribution strategy in a limited geographic market.

Old 27 January 2018, 11:04 PM   #147
rahible
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 214270
Didn't Rolex do this same thing in the late 80s / early 90s in order to create more exclusivity for the brand? I seem to remember reading that in one of the unauthorized rolex books I have, just have to find it.
Old 27 January 2018, 11:05 PM   #148
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
I don’t get it. A lot of theories but I still don’t get it. Maybe about Basel, it may make more sense but as of this moment, I just don’t get it.

I am looking for 3rd watch to complete my trio gmt, sub and I want a Daytona. The idea that I can’t get one does make me re-think whether I should have any brand royalty. It sure does seem, at least on the surface, Rolex doesn’t care about me. Actually Rolex doesn’t even know I exist. I guess if we are playing scarcity game, I will be the loser as I am not a VIP or big spender. I just enjoy the hobby and saved up for my purchase.

Time for me to consider and branch out to other brands. Not that Rolex cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 January 2018, 11:05 PM   #149
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiroo View Post
I don't care if I have to be late for every meeting for the rest of my life. I am not wearing an Omega...
Lmao. You are missing out.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 27 January 2018, 11:16 PM   #150
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
In November, I was told by multiple local ADs that it could be a year or so before they get another Sub No Date in stock. Last week I got a call from 2 of them telling me that one just came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread