The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2018, 08:37 AM   #31
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

-

Last edited by BMW335D; 11 March 2018 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: Double posted
BMW335D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 08:53 AM   #32
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335D View Post
The watch is probably at the APSC now.
I told them to consult me first before taking any kind of action. I don’t want them to polish the case again and ruin the watch more and I actually don’t think that they have used the wrong screws. The lugs looks already overpolished just like the buckle.
Let’s see what they have to say about it.
This all sounds very odd. I just don't see that APSC would damage a watch in this way, by so severely over 'polishing' it, or use incorrect screws. And the watch is apparently with APSC 'now' on the 27th but only today do they acknowledge receiving it. This doesn't seem official AP service to me.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 08:56 AM   #33
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
On the before pics the strap doesn't seem to fit the case very well either. Certainly not as 'tight' as they do on mine.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 09:53 AM   #34
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
This all sounds very odd. I just don't see that APSC would damage a watch in this way, by so severely over 'polishing' it, or use incorrect screws. And the watch is apparently with APSC 'now' on the 27th but only today do they acknowledge receiving it. This doesn't seem official AP service to me.

I tend to agree. My wife and I have 5 AP's total and all have been in for water test and/or service. And every time an email was sent with a detailed summary of what is proposed for service, along with photos in its current state. I have had nothing but excellent experiences with APSC. Story seems fishy here.

Sorry, OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 09:55 AM   #35
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
On the before pics the strap doesn't seem to fit the case very well either. Certainly not as 'tight' as they do on mine.
The strap seemed to be OK before. However, check the lugholes and the screws, that’s a huge difference. Something isn’t right here, I share your thoughts.

I did bring my watch to a authorised Audemars Piguet and Rolex dealer here in the Netherlands (so they are a official AP retailer also on the AP website). On their turn they have sent it to a authorised Audemars Piguet repaircenter.. however, I’ve checked the website of that repaircenter and it says that they have a partnership with Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and some more brands so they don’t repair and service AP only! I don’t want to put their website here yet. I can send it in a PM. If I check out the official website of AP for a service center nearby they show up also.

Man, I don’t feel OK about this but we will see.
I didn’t get a AP itemized invoice also. Only a invoice of the dealership that says that they have sent my watch to the service center for repairment and service (2000 EUR). However, a brown AP leather travelcase was shipped along with my warrantybooklet afterwards (they forgot it the first time).

When I picked up the watch at the retailer, it came back like this (no seal or sticker):

Old 11 March 2018, 10:37 AM   #36
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

AP polished for the first time by APSC.

Quote:
The strap seemed to be OK before. However, check the lugholes and the screws, that’s a huge difference. Something isn’t right here, I share your thoughts.

I did bring my watch to a authorised Audemars Piguet and Rolex dealer here in the Netherlands (so they are a official AP retailer also on the AP website). On their turn they have sent it to a authorised Audemars Piguet repaircenter.. however, I’ve checked the website of that repaircenter and it says that they have a partnership with Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and some more brands so they don’t repair and service AP only! I don’t want to put their website here yet. I can send it in a PM. If I check out the official website of AP for a service center nearby they show up also.

Man, I don’t feel OK about this but we will see.
I didn’t get a AP itemized invoice also. Only a invoice of the dealership that says that they have sent my watch to the service center for repairment and service (2000 EUR). However, a brown AP leather travelcase was shipped along with my warrantybooklet afterwards (they forgot it the first time).

When I picked up the watch at the retailer, it came back like this (no seal or sticker):

Soooo...it wasn't repaired at an actual APSC. That's a BIG difference you left out and now you sent it back to the same place. You should have been more careful with where it was sent. Not sure what type of recourse you will have here if that is the case, which seems it is.

Old 11 March 2018, 10:57 AM   #37
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I would send it back. A responsible and astute manager at the AP service center will tell you it is over-polished. Laser etch metal back and reshape is first option but if it is beyond point of rescue, they should install a new mid-case for you free of charge. Deal professionally and calmly and they will address the situation for you.

Good luck.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 11:09 AM   #38
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Looks overlooked to me. I hope it works out but I’m not sure what can really be done. Did you send it back to APSC?

Old 11 March 2018, 03:30 PM   #39
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npalacio View Post
Soooo...it wasn't repaired at an actual APSC. That's a BIG difference you left out and now you sent it back to the same place. You should have been more careful with where it was sent. Not sure what type of recourse you will have here if that is the case, which seems it is.

It is a actual APSC because on the official AP website they are mentioned as a service center. When my watch stopped working, I just called one of the official retailers and gave them my watch. They said that they needed to send it to AP.
That’s all. I hope they come over with the right solution.
Old 11 March 2018, 03:36 PM   #40
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
I would send it back. A responsible and astute manager at the AP service center will tell you it is over-polished. Laser etch metal back and reshape is first option but if it is beyond point of rescue, they should install a new mid-case for you free of charge. Deal professionally and calmly and they will address the situation for you.

Good luck.
I’ve sent back the watch on the 27th of februari. They told me that their watchmaker will take a look at it after the weekend and they will come back at me. What can I do if they refuse to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Looks overlooked to me. I hope it works out but I’m not sure what can really be done. Did you send it back to APSC?

Yes, I’ve sent it back.
The company that has done the service/repairing is a official AP service center HOWEVER they also have a partnership with Patek and some other brands so they are not AP only. They are mentioned as a service center on the AP website so hopefully they will fix it as it should be.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:40 PM   #41
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The company that has done the service/repairing is a official AP service center HOWEVER they also have a partnership with Patek and some other brands so they are not AP only. They are mentioned as a service center on the AP website so hopefully they will fix it as it should be.

This is what gets me. It's another company? It was not an APSC/Boutique?

Old 11 March 2018, 11:10 PM   #42
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is what gets me. It's another company? It was not an APSC/Boutique?

That’s correct. If they can’t polish a watch to factory standards then they are not worth being a “official” AP service center. It is confusing because they are listed as a official APSC.
I remember that the AD said that prior sending a AP to the SC they contact the HQ of AP and AP decides which model goes to a particular SC and in my case they made a Fedex to Belgium.
Old 12 March 2018, 12:00 AM   #43
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s correct. If they can’t polish a watch to factory standards then they are not worth being a “official” AP service center. It is confusing because they are listed as a official APSC.
I remember that the AD said that prior sending a AP to the SC they contact the HQ of AP and AP decides which model goes to a particular SC and in my case they made a Fedex to Belgium.

I have never sent in through an AD, always direct to Bal Harbor in Florida. I think this may be your issue. I would contact APSC, they sent me a prepaid Fedex box/label with a really nice shipping package for the watch itself and off it went overnight. I then would get an email of receipt of the watch and then a couple days later or so, a detailed PDF with the proposed work and photos of the watch in its current state. You would then respond with your answer on the proposed work, including any optional refinishing.

Water under the bridge at this point but you may need to escalate this to AP directly if one of their "official" service centers will not make this right. Hopefully they will and you won't have to go down that road.

Old 12 March 2018, 12:48 AM   #44
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have never sent in through an AD, always direct to Bal Harbor in Florida. I think this may be your issue. I would contact APSC, they sent me a prepaid Fedex box/label with a really nice shipping package for the watch itself and off it went overnight. I then would get an email of receipt of the watch and then a couple days later or so, a detailed PDF with the proposed work and photos of the watch in its current state. You would then respond with your answer on the proposed work, including any optional refinishing.

Water under the bridge at this point but you may need to escalate this to AP directly if one of their "official" service centers will not make this right. Hopefully they will and you won't have to go down that road.

This was a lesson for me. The next time I will send my watch to a boutique or APSC directly. Anyhow, those guys did change everything, crystal, pushers etc.
You did get a PDF with photos and estimate of proposed work within a few days?

I had to wait 4 weeks before I did get a estimate (from the AD!) saying: full service xxx EU, laser welding xx EU, polish xx EU and crystal xx EU and some comments about the watch (opened by 3rd, dust under glass etc).

Anyways, tomorrow or tuesday they will contact me!
Old 12 March 2018, 01:24 AM   #45
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This was a lesson for me. The next time I will send my watch to a boutique or APSC directly. Anyhow, those guys did change everything, crystal, pushers etc.
You did get a PDF with photos and estimate of proposed work within a few days?

I had to wait 4 weeks before I did get a estimate (from the AD!) saying: full service xxx EU, laser welding xx EU, polish xx EU and crystal xx EU and some comments about the watch (opened by 3rd, dust under glass etc).

Anyways, tomorrow or tuesday they will contact me!

Yes, few days or so I would receive an estimate with all of the detailed proposal in a PDF, several pages long and first page or two was a summary of the watch with photos of it. I want to say total turnaround was about 6 weeks.

Old 12 March 2018, 06:27 AM   #46
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, few days or so I would receive an estimate with all of the detailed proposal in a PDF, several pages long and first page or two was a summary of the watch with photos of it. I want to say total turnaround was about 6 weeks.

Too bad I didn’t send it directly to APSC in France or UK.
Did you check the website I sent you?
Old 12 March 2018, 06:30 AM   #47
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Too bad I didn’t send it directly to APSC in France or UK.

Did you check the website I sent you?

I didnt receive any messages from you, please resend.

Old 12 March 2018, 06:59 AM   #48
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didnt receive any messages from you, please resend.

Done!
Old 12 March 2018, 07:10 AM   #49
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

Clearwater
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 07:18 AM   #50
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

AP polished for the first time by APSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Clearwater

Yes, correct. My bad.

Betsy is my buddy. . They are all great to deal with.

Old 14 March 2018, 03:29 AM   #51
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Hi guys,

Just got a E-mail from them:

upload pictures
Old 14 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #52
PJ S
Banned

^
Take your watch to the nearest AD or Boutique branch, and put it side by side with the same or nearest equivalent model, and compare the two.
Only then can you be absolutely sure (and have proof) that yours has been overpolished and to what degree – slightly, a fair bit, or easily noticeable.

Yes, it will be a bit of an inconvenience, but at least you’ll have a definitive answer without relying on memory, which can often be mistaken.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 03:57 AM   #53
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

free image hosting
Old 14 March 2018, 03:58 AM   #54
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Take your watch to the nearest AD or Boutique branch, and put it side by side with the same or nearest equivalent model, and compare the two.
Only then can you be absolutely sure (and have proof) that yours has been overpolished and to what degree – slightly, a fair bit, or easily noticeable.

They say that those screws are the “new generation screws”?
Honestly never heard something like that.
Now they say they will put the original screws from the previous generation and restore the contrast on the buckle. They say that the watch was polished very slightly so there is no overpolishing at all.
Old 14 March 2018, 04:14 AM   #55
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
They say that those screws are the “new generation screws”?
Honestly never heard something like that.
Now they say they will put the original screws from the previous generation and restore the contrast on the buckle. They say that the watch was polished very slightly so there is no overpolishing at all.
Could they have used the screws from the 44mm ROO that are slightly larger making it appear that the lugs had material removed? Both my 42mm and 44mm ROOs have the screws much deeper in the lugs but I would assume the 44mm ones are slightly longer and if used in the 42mm case might fit like the pictures you posted.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 04:53 AM   #56
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Contact APSC directly, time to escalate and keep us posted.

Thread title is misleading as it is an authorized AP service center but not AP themselves. Escalate to AP and show them what has happened with one of their authorized service centers, this refinish looks far from acceptable to me and I suspect that they would agree. Do not go back to the AD, do not go back to this shop, just contact AP and ask them to assist you.

That's what I would do at least.
Old 14 March 2018, 04:58 AM   #57
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Could they have used the screws from the 44mm ROO that are slightly larger making it appear that the lugs had material removed? Both my 42mm and 44mm ROOs have the screws much deeper in the lugs but I would assume the 44mm ones are slightly longer and if used in the 42mm case might fit like the pictures you posted.
Wrong screws.. they should not make that mistake but it could be possible.

Quote:
Contact APSC directly, time to escalate and keep us posted.

Thread title is misleading as it is an authorized AP service center but not AP themselves. Escalate to AP and show them what has happened with one of their authorized service centers, this refinish looks far from acceptable to me and I suspect that they would agree. Do not go back to the AD, do not go back to this shop, just contact AP and ask them to assist you.

That's what I would do at least.
I think I will contact AP now. The watch is still at their shop and they say that I will have it back by next week. They wil fix the finish on the buckle and put the “right” screws in.
Anyways, I live in Europe. Do you have any e-mailaddress of AP directly in Europe that I could contact about this?
Old 14 March 2018, 05:02 AM   #58
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wrong screws.. they should not make that mistake but it could be possible.

I think I will contact AP now. The watch is still at their shop and they say that I will have it back by next week. They wil fix the finish on the buckle and put the “right” screws in.
Anyways, I live in Europe. Do you have any e-mailaddress of AP directly in Europe that I could contact about this?
Looks like closest would be France:

+33 1 53 57 42 16
info.europe@audemarspiguet.com
Old 14 March 2018, 05:05 AM   #59
BMW335D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like closest would be France:

+33 1 53 57 42 16
info.europe@audemarspiguet.com
Should I send them a E-mail?
Old 14 March 2018, 05:08 AM   #60
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Should I send them a E-mail?

I mean, I would email and call. You will have to share with them everything you shared here. And obviously the name of the center it was sent to by your AD.