The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2018, 12:26 AM   #61
Toony
"TRF" Member

So the bezel is the same as the one on “old” white gold or it’s different? Is the “new” white gold a different color.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:36 AM   #62
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
So the bezel is the same as the one on “old” white gold or it’s different? Is the “new” white gold a different color.
All three are the same.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:42 AM   #63
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Well done...thanks for the info.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:50 AM   #64
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
It's the way the bi-color bezels are made and the addition of colors

If I remember correctly for the BLNR it starts as blue and black is added. Therefore the blue is exactly what they want

But BLRO it starts off as red/pink and the blue is added which is why blue ends up purplish on the bezel. As to why they can't more or darker blue? No idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting... thanks for the reply. I mean it makes sense but you would think a company like Rolex could come up with a way to make blue=blue and red=red. Hard to believe they couldn't get EITHER color to look correct.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:50 AM   #65
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Anchors my desire for one! Thanks for the write up!
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:53 AM   #66
T01
"TRF" Member

Very nice, I'm so bummed I can't make my AD's event.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:55 AM   #67
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Great feedback. Thanks for sharing.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:55 AM   #68
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Can't wait to get mine...More excited about this then I was for either of my 116500's! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics as well.
Same here. I love that the bezel is in contrast to my BLNR, can’t wait to get the new GMT!

OP, thanks for sharing the write up and pic.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 01:11 AM   #69
Recht
"TRF" Member

If the color representation is accurate, I've lost interest.
Recht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:15 AM   #70
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
So I finally got to see the 126710 in all of it's glory today. Here's my take aways...

1) The new SuperDuper Jubilee is comfortable. In the short time I had it on, it was on par with the Oyster of my 116710BLNR.
2) The new SuperDuper Jubilee is BLINGY AF (as the kids say). I mean it's over the top disco ball grade bling IMO. It makes the PCL Oyster bracelet seem subdued.
3) YES, the blue is a purplish blue. I used my "cool blue" LED flash light on it to help it out and it was still purplish blue.
4) YES, the red is a pinkish red. Even with a ~6500K LED flashlight on it.
5) Both of the colors looks washed out. Especially next to the BLNR where the colors look very "acute".
6) My name will remain on the million mile long wait list. :)

As a side note on the color "accuracy", I have done the Farnsworth Munsell 100 Hue Test in person (the real timed test, not the online test) multiple times under multiple lighting conditions in a color-match light box for my job, I've scored 100% every time. I only mention this so people understand that the colors I see aren't just "opinion" and that I fully understand the effects of lighting conditions.

And because no thread is valid without pictures, here's one...this is an accurate representation of what I saw.

Oh where's that guy that said I didn't understand that the BLNR was "overhyped" because I didn't own one...lol.
Thanks for sharing the detailed post. And the picture. I am glad I got the BLNR. Will get a 5 digit reference in future if I can find one in good shape.

Kinda sad that Rolex labels it as Blue/Red when it clearly isn't. Rolex needs to stop making false claims. The date on SkyD doesn't change right away nor the red and blue look like red and blue.

Anyway, still love some of their watches.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:15 AM   #71
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Great review!!! Btw Curious what does shining cool blue LED and ~6500k led flashlight supposed to do to the color of the ceramic bezel?
Well the "color" of "white" light make a difference on how your eye perceives the color (as does the material that the light is bouncing off of). Candles are just under 2000K, Incandescent/Halogen light is around 2600-3200K, fluorescent lights are generally in the 3000-3500K, sunlight on a clear day is around 4500-5000K. The "Cool Blue" LEDs are in the 6000K and up range. So when the Kelvin rating is lower, things tend to look "warmer". When the Kelvin rating is higher, it starts to take on a blueish hue.

So by changing the "color" of the white light, you can see how your target material "looks". Depending on the material, dyes used, etc., the color variance can be quite a lot. One of the biggest criticisms of the photos from Basel was that it was done in indoor/jeweler lighting and that people thought it would look more blue/red in the "right" lighting. I was one of the people who thought this might be the case which is why I used my flashlight to see what it would look like with the lighting being on the other side of the Kelvin rating. Since the LED emitter on my flashlight is actually "bluer" than natural sunlight, I thought it would help make the purple-blue look more blue and it would cool the red.

The blue on the BLNR is really affected by light but it goes from a dark blue to that brilliant blue as in my photo. In the case of the 126710BLRO, despite the lighting difference, it's still definitely purple-blue and pink-red. So in my mind, it's always going to be purple-blue and pink-red no matter what the lighting situation. Of course, cameras/filters/etc. can make it look more solid blue/red, but that's not because of lighting, that's because of editing/manipulation.

As I said before, I understand the limitations of materials and dyes and based on what I know about how Rolex achieves these bi-color bezels, I can fully understand why the color are the way they are. Due to the limitation of the process/materials/whatever, it can't be as red and blue as some people want. The red has to be that particular shade of red in order for them to achieve a color on the other side that is as blue as possible. If they make it "blood red", the blue portion would most likely be Prince-grade purple.

Now if they did a Coke (which is what I thought they should do), I'm guessing that could make the red as red as possible because the black dye will just overpower it which is the reason why the BLNR has such an nice blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
is it more so than a AP RO bracelet? That one is the disco ball. Its not a bad thing either, but maybe that is the best comparison??
If you're talking about the all brushed stainless steel AP RO bracelets (the normal ones you see on most AP RO's), then HELL YES. The Super Jubilee has the three center rows fully polished and due to the curvature of the individual pieces, it reflects light EVERYWHERE. Granted, I was in a store where they have "jewelry" lighting (lighting that really makes polished metals "pop") but I would imagine it has this effect under most lighting conditions.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:22 AM   #72
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Well the "color" of "white" light make a difference on how your eye perceives the color (as does the material that the light is bouncing off of). Candles are just under 2000K, Incandescent/Halogen light is around 2600-3200K, fluorescent lights are generally in the 3000-3500K, sunlight on a clear day is around 4500-5000K. The "Cool Blue" LEDs are in the 6000K and up range. So when the Kelvin rating is lower, things tend to look "warmer". When the Kelvin rating is higher, it starts to take on a blueish hue.

So by changing the "color" of the white light, you can see how your target material "looks". Depending on the material, dyes used, etc., the color variance can be quite a lot. One of the biggest criticisms of the photos from Basel was that it was done in indoor/jeweler lighting and that people thought it would look more blue/red in the "right" lighting. I was one of the people who thought this might be the case which is why I used my flashlight to see what it would look like with the lighting being on the other side of the Kelvin rating. Since the LED emitter on my flashlight is actually "bluer" than natural sunlight, I thought it would help make the purple-blue look more blue and it would cool the red.

The blue on the BLNR is really affected by light but it goes from a dark blue to that brilliant blue as in my photo. In the case of the 126710BLRO, despite the lighting difference, it's still definitely purple-blue and pink-red. So in my mind, it's always going to be purple-blue and pink-red no matter what the lighting situation. Of course, cameras/filters/etc. can make it look more solid blue/red, but that's not because of lighting, that's because of editing/manipulation.

As I said before, I understand the limitations of materials and dyes and based on what I know about how Rolex achieves these bi-color bezels, I can fully understand why the color are the way they are. Due to the limitation of the process/materials/whatever, it can't be as red and blue as some people want. The red has to be that particular shade of red in order for them to achieve a color on the other side that is as blue as possible. If they make it "blood red", the blue portion would most likely be Prince-grade purple.
Some great info and information on how the lighting affects the appearance of the dial. Thank you,
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:28 AM   #73
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Great photos and write up 116710er! I was there last night too...wonder if we met.

I agree with most of you what you wrote, I personally didn't feel the bracelet was full on disco though. I have an AP 15400 and I think that bracelet is much more shiny than this new jub. imo.

Great photo, I'm almost embarrassed to share any of my crappy photos now.

Really fun time at the even last night! Geary's is a great AD. Love those guys.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:31 AM   #74
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Great photos and write up 116710er! I was there last night too...wonder if we met.

I agree with most of you what you wrote, I personally didn't feel the bracelet was full on disco though. I have an AP 15400 and I think that bracelet is much more shiny than this new jub. imo.

Great photo, I'm almost embarrassed to share any of my crappy photos now.

Really fun time at the even last night! Geary's is a great AD. Love those guys.
Your photos were great too. AP bracelet has no competition. That thing is in a different class of it's own. That SS bracelet will put PM bracelets of Rolex to shame!

Old 27 April 2018, 02:37 AM   #75
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Wow. You have a really good eye, and the side-by-side next to the BLNR really illustratively depicts what you describe. Thanks!
Old 27 April 2018, 02:37 AM   #76
GodZji
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your information. Can't wait to see it in person.
Datejust 16233 & 116234
Daytona 116520 & 116500LN
GodZji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:38 AM   #77
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Put that jubilee on the BLNR and the combo would look better than either of those!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:40 AM   #78
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcarls0n View Post
Your photos were great too. AP bracelet has no competition. That thing is in a different class of it's own. That SS bracelet will put PM bracelets of Rolex to shame!

Thank you jackcarls0n! And I got your message about photos in other lightning, but I don'l think I have it though. It was a very busy and hectic event and as you can imagine it was tough to get any time with the Pepsi. It was the star of the show.

Thank you for the kind words though.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:44 AM   #79
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

I bet. No worries brother. Thanks for sharing. The pics you did.

It is good to hear from you both. Appreciate it. Haha the thread should be combined ;)

Old 27 April 2018, 03:08 AM   #80
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Great photo, but despite the "bling" I'm still looking forward to picking up my new Pepsi!
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:14 AM   #81
arturob
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 BLNR
Quote:

Now if they did a Coke (which is what I thought they should do), I'm guessing that could make the red as red as possible because the black dye will just overpower it which is the reason why the BLNR has such an nice blue.

If you're talking about the all brushed stainless steel AP RO bracelets (the normal ones you see on most AP RO's), then HELL YES. The Super Jubilee has the three center rows fully polished and due to the curvature of the individual pieces, it reflects light EVERYWHERE. Granted, I was in a store where they have "jewelry" lighting (lighting that really makes polished metals "pop") but I would imagine it has this effect under most lighting conditions.
really love your scientific explanation and details. thank you for sharing.
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:19 AM   #82
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Great pic and comparison. Thanks for sharing!

It just solidifies my complete lack of interest in this reference.

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:21 AM   #83
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
Thanks for sharing...

If the WG Pepsi can have spot on blue and red, I struggle to understand why Rolex is unable to replicate the same for the SS
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:22 AM   #84
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Great pic and comparison. Thanks for sharing!

It just solidifies my complete lack of interest in this reference.

Just my .02

+1. But I love looking at the pics anyway...
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:23 AM   #85
avusblue
"TRF" Member

As a new BLNR owner, I find this really interesting. Even though the jubilee bracelet is cool, that washed out, cloudy, pinkish red & purplish blue, bezel is really unfortunate, and kills any interest I might have had in the BLRO.

The nickname "Pepsi" implies a watch that's supposed to feature classic, pure, hues of proper blue and red -- which the BLRO does not have. Meanwhile, the BLNR brings a fantastic shade of blue.... it's a true blue, which color shifts depending on ambient light between a dark midnight blue and a medium sapphire blue -- so I can't imagine why Rolex didn't use that same shade of blue.

Here's my theory: I seem to have read that manufacturing a vivid red ceramic has been elusive, if not impossible. So, because of that, if they had used the BLNR's proper blue on the BLRO, it would have made the pale red look even weaker right next to it.....therefore, they had to weaken the blue to correspond.

But let's be honest. Rolex has nothing to gain by spending more time and money on developing proper, vivid, colors for the BLRO. They’ll sell every single one they make before they’re out the door....ka-ching!

avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:32 AM   #86
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Thanks for great shots , im back to square one lol just not sure on the reds and blues ? but been looking at the faded 16710 and like that . Thats a sharp looking watch maybe to sharp for me iv only been used to the brushed steel.
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:43 AM   #87
116710er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Thanks for sharing...
If the WG Pepsi can have spot on blue and red, I struggle to understand why Rolex is unable to replicate the same for the SS
The WG Pepsi has the same bevel as far as I know. Could be the color of metal that is affecting your perception of the red/blue or just not having it next to another color references that can change your perception.

That being said, I do remember reading something about Rolex released the Pepsi in WG first because getting those two colors to jive was extremely difficult and it had a very low yield rate so they used it on a more expensive watch. Whereas with the new Pepsi, Rolex is allegedly having a higher yield rate which is what makes the stainless version possible. Maybe there was some streamlining/improving/compromises made in order to up the yield so that would make sense the old WG Pepsi has different colors. This entire paragraph may be a complete fabrication from the get go and I have absolutely no proof that any of this is true. :)
Old 27 April 2018, 03:48 AM   #88
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Next to the BLNR the blue is not as crisp and true, but nevertheless it still looks more navy blue to me than purple, and outdoors it will look even more blue.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:51 AM   #89
116710er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

It's possible but I was there early and left early. Maybe the AP is more disco but I don't have a AP (I know, I'm already in a shame spiral...) but the old AP RO Chronograph (from the 90's/2k's) was one of my favorite watches I used to try it on at any AD that had one. I've seen some recent ones too but I just don't remember them being that blingy. I'll have to try one out a AD again and compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcarls0n View Post
Lol, ok I'm going to try one out at a local AD and see. I'd take my welder's mask just in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Next to the BLNR the blue is not as crisp and true, but nevertheless it still looks more navy blue to me than purple, and outdoors it will look even more blue.
I can say with complete certainty that it's not Navy blue. If it's to you, you might have slight protanomaly which is a reduction in red color sensitivity. Also, I put a "bluer than sunlight" light on the bezel and the colors were still basically the same (purple blue, pink red).
Old 27 April 2018, 03:54 AM   #90
derklink
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Thanks for sharing, OP! I'm on two lists but need to see it in the flesh to make a decision. I'll wear the BLNR to the AD event in late June. So far away
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote