The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 June 2011, 05:59 AM   #1
cparks555
"TRF" Member

Panerai Sub

Hey everyone, new here and have a few questions about the Panerai Sub. Are they considered as rugged and reliable as a Submariner, and can you get one on a bracelet instead of a strap?

Thanks
cparks555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Gregcar
"TRF" Member

Hey, my opinion is no...I had a PAM 25 with a loose bezel, and "wobble, both of which people claim that they like...well, I am back to a solid, no frills, 5513 sub, that is staying with me...I thought about trading it for a 312, but, I have seen tons of posts on this and other forums from people having a lot of problems with them...sticking to rolex and looking for a gmt now.
Gregcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Well they are nice, but I dont dive so I have no idea how reliable the bezels are especially under water. However they do tend to feel heavy on my wrist!

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 03:40 AM   #4
dukerules
"TRF" Member

Well I've got a PAM 243 and a Rolex 16600. My personal experience is that they are both solid, well-built watches. I like the 16600, but find that I wear the 243 more often. The PAM 106 is a Submersible model on bracelet. Although it is discontinued, they come up for sale used on the fora every once in a while.

Instagram: dukerules
dukerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 04:03 AM   #5
cparks555
"TRF" Member

Thank you guy's for the information, they sure are great looking watches in my opinion. I think it would be nice to have one because it seems much less common than a Rolex Sub. It would be nice to have a great watch that flies under the radar. I do have a 16610LV already, just looking for something different.
Old 5 June 2011, 04:21 AM   #6
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

They're great. I've owned a 243 and loved it.
Old 5 June 2011, 05:41 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

I had a 24 and it was as solid as any diver I've worn. The 7750 movement has been around a long time and is a real workhorse.

Accuracy was excellent. If I had to choose the bezel numbers on the Pams to my eye are not as easy to read in all conditions, but that's the only nit I can pick.

Yes if your's is a K series or newer the new bracelet with the proper endlinks will work. I've used a bracelet on the 24 and the 88.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 07:33 AM   #8
cparks555
"TRF" Member

I really like how they look on the rubber band, but think a bracelet would be nice also. Not a huge fan of the leather strap, can't figure out why a diver would come with leather. I've done quite a bit of studying on this watch since my original post, sorry if it seemed kind of lame.

Thanks
Old 5 June 2011, 08:50 AM   #9
mfer
"TRF" Member

The 243 looks as tough as they come. I can see where you are coming from about the 24/25. The bezel seems like the weak point, but the case is strong as can be and the crown guard is a proven design. I wouldn't worry, the bezel can be replaced relatively cheap (on par with the Rolex).
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 10:11 AM   #10
snog
"TRF" Member

the leather strap is part of the history of Panerai,a big leather strap would be used to fasten the watch around the drivers wetsuit.
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 09:21 PM   #11
cparks555
"TRF" Member

Thanks, saw a pic of a 243 on a tough looking leather strap and it was sweet! It looked like a piece from an old saddle or something. Thanks for the history lesson.
Old 9 June 2011, 03:26 AM   #12
destrow
"TRF" Member

pam subs are just as tough as any other nice diving watch. they are bigger, so they tend to get dinged-up more than smaller sized watches. hence, they may need more spa days.

i have a t-dial 087, and i wouldn't get rid of it for anything. i wear it on a multitude of straps, but never with a metal bracelet. i've heard some of the 24mm lug watches require 'micro-adaptors' to fit it onto one of the oem bracelets.
destrow is offline   Reply With Quote