The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 21 May 2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Tudor BB Strap Swap

Hey Guys,

I picked up a black leather strap for my Tudor and it came with a spring bar tool but it’s to big to get in that tight tolerance behind the steel strap, I have a 3-tier roll around tool box but pretty much no watch tools, I was looking at the Bergeron spring bar tweezers but there pretty costly so are there other options.

I have seen a few vids where some guys use like a push pin to get them out but that scares the hell out of me in fear of scratching the case
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 06:43 AM   #2
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

I managed to get the bracelet swapped out to the aftermarket leather one with the small tool included but it’s not gonna work going back to the steel bracelet so I’m gonna have to get either the Bergeron or the Horofix tweezers to swap back but the Bergeron are $65 more and I honestly may not use them often so decision time and looking for advice from you seasoned Gents on what pair to get
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 22 May 2019, 10:20 AM   #3
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
The advice you received in the other thread you started is just as appropriate for this thread.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
The advice you received in the other thread you started is just as appropriate for this thread.
You are most likely correct as I don’t think I could put the steel bracelet back on unless I have one of the two tools and when I do order I plan on getting a small screwdriver set and watch block
Old 22 May 2019, 12:21 PM   #5
RJK
"TRF" Member

Another idea is for your straps is to replace the tip of the springbar tool you already have to a smaller tip...assuming the tips are removable.

With that said, I find the larger/wider ones easier to use because the smaller tips require you to be spot on hitting the springbar. With the larger tips, I find them to be more forgiving if I’m off by a fraction of a mm.

Only suggestion I can give you is to remember that leather is pliable, so if there’s even a bit of space between your strap and lug, you should be able to “push” the leather back enough to get the tool on the springbar flange and compress the pin.

I find that with tight fitting straps, it’s more feel than visual because the spaces are so small. Take your time and use lots of tape if you’re concerned about scratches. You’ll get the hang of it with some practice....heck practice on some beater watches you don’t care about as much ;-)

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
Old 22 May 2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Another idea is for your straps is to replace the tip of the springbar tool you already have to a smaller tip...assuming the tips are removable.

With that said, I find the larger/wider ones easier to use because the smaller tips require you to be spot on hitting the springbar. With the larger tips, I find them to be more forgiving if I’m off by a fraction of a mm.

Only suggestion I can give you is to remember that leather is pliable, so if there’s even a bit of space between your strap and lug, you should be able to “push” the leather back enough to get the tool on the springbar flange and compress the pin.

I find that with tight fitting straps, it’s more feel than visual because the spaces are so small. Take your time and use lots of tape if you’re concerned about scratches. You’ll get the hang of it with some practice....heck practice on some beater watches you don’t care about as much ;-)
I actually had pretty much no issues putting the leather strap on and I even put it on and took it off with the included tool it was getting the steel strap off as the spring bar tool that came with the strap the tips are not removable and that opening on the back side of the steel strap is tiny and it would not fit so I taped the lugs and used a pin type tool to get one side out then held it out and worked on the other side

I seriously doubt I will be able to put the steel strap back on without the tweezer type tool either the Bergeon or the cheaper version but the first time I use the cheaper version if it breaks I will be less than happy so that’s why I am kinda leaning towards the Bergeon one as they may perform better in the long run
Old 22 May 2019, 12:53 PM   #7
RJK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
I actually had pretty much no issues putting the leather strap on and I even put it on and took it off with the included tool it was getting the steel strap off as the spring bar tool that came with the strap the tips are not removable and that opening on the back side of the steel strap is tiny and it would not fit so I taped the lugs and used a pin type tool to get one side out then held it out and worked on the other side

I seriously doubt I will be able to put the steel strap back on without the tweezer type tool either the Bergeon or the cheaper version but the first time I use the cheaper version if it breaks I will be less than happy so that’s why I am kinda leaning towards the Bergeon one as they may perform better in the long run
Ah...I misread your original post. For the bracelet, definitely the tweezers IMHO.