The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2019, 05:09 AM   #61
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’m glad it’s working for you. But...

The body of proof is still not confirmed by FDA or other research groups. So “researching” the web is fraught with personal experiences or claims by marketers.

FDA has approved Epidiolex, a purified form CBD. It requires a prescription for the treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome or Dravet syndrome. There are no other CBD oils with FDA approval.

Two other Synthetic THC products gained approval, Marinol and Syndros, which include the active ingredient dronabinol.

FDA just announced warnings about off-label uses of the approved products - and about the marketers selling unapproved CBD oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This may all be true but we all knew that when Marijuana was legalized that Phama would be on this like a a brand new cash cow and if we hadn't been paying attention and realized the FDA and Pharma are very "connected".

Pharma's game has always been find a potion/drug used by people for centuries, synthesize it down to something, patent that and sell it and force everyone else out. Of course then deal with the side effects that the original potion/drug didn't have.

So I'm a little of skeptical of Pharma and FDA claims on anything. FDA is a revolving door of Pharma types moving back and forth between govt and industry and there is so much money to be made here. Ritalin, Opioids, Cholesterol drugs anyone?
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:17 AM   #62
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yeah I get the distrust of Pharma & regulators. But the Canadians seem to have figured it out. I didn’t mention them because I’m not well-verses on their governance for purity and efficacy requirements.

I’ve dealt with global big pharma while setting up their research nets - a scale you can’t believe. And that’s on the secret side of the web where we, nor gov’t’s can peek without a Court order.

The $$$ they could afford was staggering - just a small fraction of their profits - and it approximated some entire countries GDP.

And so it goes...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:24 AM   #63
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I read an article in a real magazine (BW, I think, not just Internet nonsense) and it was about placebos and studies of same. It seems that they have done studies where they told people that they were taking a placebo, and even with that knowledge they still saw an improvement in whatever their ailment is. The brain is a fascinating thing.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:25 AM   #64
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah I get the distrust of Pharma & regulators. But the Canadians seem to have figured it out. I didn’t mention them because I’m not well-verses on their governance for purity and efficacy requirements.

I’ve dealt with global big pharma while setting up their research nets - a scale you can’t believe. And that’s on the secret side of the web where we, nor gov’t’s can peek without a Court order.

The $$$ they could afford was staggering - just a small fraction of their profits - and it approximated some entire countries GDP.

And so it goes...

Yeah, it's going to be interesting. Being Canadian but not living there for a long time I'm not sure what their approach is but moneyed interests may not be as dominant there.

But there is going to be tons of money to be made in all the by-products of this interesting plant.
Old 13 June 2019, 05:27 AM   #65
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I read an article in a real magazine (BW, I think, not just Internet nonsense) and it was about placebos and studies of same. It seems that they have done studies where they told people that they were taking a placebo, and even with that knowledge they still saw an improvement in whatever their ailment is. The brain is a fascinating thing.
I know. I've felt terrible and after leaving the doctors office felt a little better ever before getting a prescription filled.

Maybe all we need is some TLC instead of THC.
Old 13 June 2019, 07:08 AM   #66
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
It’s all the rage up here
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:40 AM   #67
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
This may all be true but we all knew that when Marijuana was legalized that Phama would be on this like a a brand new cash cow and if we hadn't been paying attention and realized the FDA and Pharma are very "connected".

Pharma's game has always been find a potion/drug used by people for centuries, synthesize it down to something, patent that and sell it and force everyone else out. Of course then deal with the side effects that the original potion/drug didn't have.

So I'm a little of skeptical of Pharma and FDA claims on anything. FDA is a revolving door of Pharma types moving back and forth between govt and industry and there is so much money to be made here. Ritalin, Opioids, Cholesterol drugs anyone?
Several issues with the FDA being involved, specifically that marijuana is still federally illegal and therefore FDA responses will be biased. You're also 100% correct about "big Pharma" and their connection with the FDA. Getting a drug through the FDA process can be extremely taxing, as it really is intended to be the consumer watchdog, but we all know that many FDA-approved drugs have serious side effects (how many anti-depressants have the side effect of suicide...?). When a drug starts its FDA trials, secondary benefits are rarely studied and instead it is simply is graded on the intended treatment/purpose. That means for CBD to be "FDA-approved" for multiple conditions, it will be DECADES before its treatments are fully accepted by the US Gov't. The one thing I am hopeful for is that since marijuana is non-proprietary nor chemically engineered, there might not be a huge incentive for Big Pharma to get involved, as anyone can "knock off" their product with a simple plant growing in their closet...

To the OP's original question.... My wife has used CBD in the form of a joint multiple times for her anxiety and it has worked for her. I suggested she try actual marijuana (with the THC), but she didn't want to (it's now legal in Nevada). I've had several friends use CBD creams for joint and muscle pain with positive results, and I've been tempted to try it as well, but I don't because of my job (military).
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:33 AM   #68
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Sadly, it’s politically charged. Members of my family have had success with it. Hopefully, the US can get behind it with good research and make it more available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:35 AM   #69
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
To the OP's original question.... My wife has used CBD in the form of a joint multiple times for her anxiety and it has worked for her. I suggested she try actual marijuana (with the THC), but she didn't want to (it's now legal in Nevada). I've had several friends use CBD creams for joint and muscle pain with positive results, and I've been tempted to try it as well, but I don't because of my job (military).
Thanks Jon
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:18 AM   #70
77T

CBD Oil

I’m not crossing swords with you here but wanted to add some thoughts on your post in the spirit of communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2
Several issues with the FDA being involved, specifically that marijuana is still federally illegal and therefore FDA responses will be biased.
I’d like to add that the FDA doesn’t rule on the substance based on it being legal or illegal in federal law. They are there to approve a manufacturer’s application for a specific use, with documented proof, of a substance no matter how it is derived.

Otherwise, opioid painkillers would never have seen the light of day. Opium is federally illegal along with many other basic components in many prescription meds.

Quote:
You're also 100% correct about "big Pharma" and their connection with the FDA. Getting a drug through the FDA process can be extremely taxing, as it really is intended to be the consumer watchdog, but we all know that many FDA-approved drugs have serious side effects (how many anti-depressants have the side effect of suicide...?).
That isn’t FDA’s role to block a drug due to side effects. They are there to identify efficacy vs side effects. And mandate the manufacturer produce proof of efficacy through many levels of scientific studies. Then mandate full disclosure to the medical field for vetting patients where the negative side effect(s) could be worse than the beneficial effects based on that patient’s pre-existing conditions/tolerances.

Quote:
When a drug starts its FDA trials, secondary benefits are rarely studied and instead it is simply is graded on the intended treatment/purpose. That means for CBD to be "FDA-approved" for multiple conditions, it will be DECADES before its treatments are fully accepted by the US Gov't.
True if the manufacturer fails to document those secondary benefits and amend their filing. A drug can have more than one “on label” approved use.

Most manufacturers do amend or launch a parallel filing unless they are trying to get a major cure to the public that can’t be delayed further by the extra studies for the secondary benefit. This is especially true for breakthroughs on a fast track approval path.

Quote:
The one thing I am hopeful for is that since marijuana is non-proprietary nor chemically engineered, there might not be a huge incentive for Big Pharma to get involved, as anyone can "knock off" their product with a simple plant growing in their closet...

Actually cannabis is on the threshold of GMO nirvana - so it is being engineered for THC increases and/or CBD enhancement. Today the two are mutually excluding in gene engineering.

Big pharma is funding it through investment in startups and in labs. The process works similarly for making strains of disease resistant strains of food crops. The special status Bayer has in pharma makes me think they will be a big mover.

Labs that can consistently produce high-THC or high-CBD plants will inevitably be snapped up to patent their strains. The labs currently find the ones with the traits pharma wants, then inbreed them, then keep the new genetics confidential.

I certainly agree with your hopes - the only miracle med I know about that has remained fairly aloof of such meddling is the humble aspirin...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 02:44 AM   #71
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
I’m not crossing swords with you here but wanted to add some thoughts on your post in the spirit of communication.

I’d like to add that the FDA doesn’t rule on the substance based on it being legal or illegal in federal law. They are there to approve a manufacturer’s application for a specific use, with documented proof, of a substance no matter how it is derived.

Otherwise, opioid painkillers would never have seen the light of day. Opium is federally illegal along with many other basic components in many prescription meds.

That isn’t FDA’s role to block a drug due to side effects. They are there to identify efficacy vs side effects. And mandate the manufacturer produce proof of efficacy through many levels of scientific studies. Then mandate full disclosure to the medical field for vetting patients where the negative side effect(s) could be worse than the beneficial effects based on that patient’s pre-existing conditions/tolerances.

True if the manufacturer fails to document those secondary benefits and amend their filing. A drug can have more than one “on label” approved use.

Most manufacturers do amend or launch a parallel filing unless they are trying to get a major cure to the public that can’t be delayed further by the extra studies for the secondary benefit. This is especially true for breakthroughs on a fast track approval path.

Actually cannabis is on the threshold of GMO nirvana - so it is being engineered for THC increases and/or CBD enhancement. Today the two are mutually excluding in gene engineering.

Big pharma is funding it through investment in startups and in labs. The process works similarly for making strains of disease resistant strains of food crops. The special status Bayer has in pharma makes me think they will be a big mover.

Labs that can consistently produce high-THC or high-CBD plants will inevitably be snapped up to patent their strains. The labs currently find the ones with the traits pharma wants, then inbreed them, then keep the new genetics confidential.

I certainly agree with your hopes - the only miracle med I know about that has remained fairly aloof of such meddling is the humble aspirin...

77T, you are obviously well informed. Thank you for your non-crossing-of-swords response, I've learned quite a bit in such a short thread!

My one real hope is that with the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana, we will start to see true testing done on the drug and that it may, one day, start to change the perception of people fighting against it. I truly believe there are a lot of good uses for it and people should have access to those benefits without being thrown in jail and treated like a criminal.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 12:44 AM   #72
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

might try charlotte's web cbd oil. Its very vague on dosing. do i fill up a whole dropper then put that under tongue?

or just several droplets out of it like 7-10?
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 01:39 AM   #73
M45
Banned

Unregulated, poorly researched substance with vague standards on purity, potency, random refining process that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and day to day with dubious health claims and ridiculous costs.

If this crap worked, Silicon Valley billionaires wouldn’t be buying out every single hospital system in the Bay Area.

But everybody knows a cousin of an uncle of an aunt who gave it to their dog’s sister and it cured cancer.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 03:29 AM   #74
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Unregulated, poorly researched substance with vague standards on purity, potency, random refining process that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and day to day with dubious health claims and ridiculous costs.

If this crap worked, Silicon Valley billionaires wouldn’t be buying out every single hospital system in the Bay Area.

But everybody knows a cousin of an uncle of an aunt who gave it to their dog’s sister and it cured cancer.
this was my take...I know a few people now..who claim nothing is happening.

Placebo affect, but when they first took it. 'changed their life'

and all I hear about how this will be the biggest market ever.
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 12:49 PM   #75
maxxyx
"TRF" Member

A friend of mine had a serious trauma, and CBD oil helped him a lot with pain relief issue.
maxxyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 01:06 PM   #76
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Placeboil.
Old 10 August 2019, 09:27 AM   #77
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

CBD balm works for my occasional muscle aches and knee pain.

Longer lasting relief than with Tiger Balm or Icy Hot, but not a “cure” by any stretch of the imagination

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 09:35 AM   #78
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Placeboil.
Lol

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 11:27 AM   #79
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Yup, just recently been prescribed by my GP a CBD oil.

Still prefer the overall effects of the traditional and old school non-process indica.

Cheers
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 11:38 AM   #80
Retired Bob
Banned

took one puff of thc was on the ground for two hours. could not move my legs. friends had a great time watching. I'm hard of hearing but I heard every one clearly. also had it on outside camera.
Retired Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 11:45 AM   #81
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Doctor said I can take benedryl every night for sleep so I do. CBD did nothing for me, and cannabis did not help my sleep either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am very interested in trying some. I don’t have general anxiety disorder but there are times definitely when I can use something to help me mellow out. More specifically, I need something to help me sleep, I have problems all the time falling/staying asleep. Benadryl works, but I don’t want to take that every night. If I can try some kind of edible that assists me relaxing/sleeping, I am all for it. Suggestions are welcome!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 10:47 PM   #82
maxxyx
"TRF" Member

I'm also just curious about the dependence, that can occur during consuming CBD oil products. If you still think about HOW YOU CAN HELP to yourself, you better consider about visiting a doctor, just to clarify a question about CBD oil consuming, as well as about question can CBD oil be harmful to human at all, or not. I think not.
Old 10 August 2019, 10:48 PM   #83
maxxyx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Doctor said I can take benedryl every night for sleep so I do. CBD did nothing for me, and cannabis did not help my sleep either.
So, what's your choice?

If marijuana and CBD do not help to you...
Old 12 August 2019, 06:51 PM   #84
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am kind of bumping this thread because I wanted to share my first experience with CBD with you guys. My friend, who visits the local dispensary often, picked some up for me. The goal was for a relaxation and sleep-aid effect. Something to calm me down at night, make me drowsy, and, well you get the pictures. She asked the person there and was informed that something (can’t remember the brand name) with a mixture of P-4 was the best. It was also expensive as hell. $100 for 10 capsules! I could become an opioid addict for less, but moving on. I took one of the capsules the other night, here are the results.

I took the capsule at 8:30PM. At midnight, I was wide awake, and ended up taking a Benadryl to get the FU*$ to sleep. I did fall asleep, and seemed to (maybe) sleep a little deeper then normal, was this due to the CBD oil? Can’t say for sure. The one thing I CAN say for sure is I really felt no effect from the capsule between 8:30 and Midnight.

The next day I felt absolutely horrible! I was anxious, lazy, irritable, really almost freaked out with no ambition to do anything. I tried lying down, relaxing, nothing. I finally went running at the gym and that seemed to “reset” everything, but it was one of the weirdest feeling days I have ever experienced. I guess I can compare it to an opioid hangover with pretty severe anxiety.

I have to attribute it to the CBD Oil, ironic since it is supposed to have the opposite effect, almost like a Xanax substitute, but it made my life a living hell that day.

I think I will try it one more time.... I am willing to sacrifice another lousy day if it happens because the P-4 got such good reviews on the internet. Maybe it was something else or maybe.... ? Anyway, that’s my story. i’ll let you know the next time if it’s any different or if this CBD oil is just not for me.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 07:53 PM   #85
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am kind of bumping this thread because I wanted to share my first experience with CBD with you guys. My friend, who visits the local dispensary often, picked some up for me. The goal was for a relaxation and sleep-aid effect. Something to calm me down at night, make me drowsy, and, well you get the pictures. She asked the person there and was informed that something (can’t remember the brand name) with a mixture of P-4 was the best. It was also expensive as hell. $100 for 10 capsules! I could become an opioid addict for less, but moving on. I took one of the capsules the other night, here are the results.

I took the capsule at 8:30PM. At midnight, I was wide awake, and ended up taking a Benadryl to get the FU*$ to sleep. I did fall asleep, and seemed to (maybe) sleep a little deeper then normal, was this due to the CBD oil? Can’t say for sure. The one thing I CAN say for sure is I really felt no effect from the capsule between 8:30 and Midnight.

The next day I felt absolutely horrible! I was anxious, lazy, irritable, really almost freaked out with no ambition to do anything. I tried lying down, relaxing, nothing. I finally went running at the gym and that seemed to “reset” everything, but it was one of the weirdest feeling days I have ever experienced. I guess I can compare it to an opioid hangover with pretty severe anxiety.

I have to attribute it to the CBD Oil, ironic since it is supposed to have the opposite effect, almost like a Xanax substitute, but it made my life a living hell that day.

I think I will try it one more time.... I am willing to sacrifice another lousy day if it happens because the P-4 got such good reviews on the internet. Maybe it was something else or maybe.... ? Anyway, that’s my story. i’ll let you know the next time if it’s any different or if this CBD oil is just not for me.
Try it the old fashion way. Hand rolled. Besides rolling a J is a life skill. CBD by itself cannot get you sleepy. It can aid relaxation though. Get a White Gold Og or Kush with at least 19.00% THC.

If it still doesn't work I'll grab it of ya

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk
Old 12 August 2019, 08:01 PM   #86
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Try it the old fashion way. Hand rolled. Besides rolling a J is a life skill. CBD by itself cannot get you sleepy. It can aid relaxation though. Get a White Gold Og or Kush with at least 19.00% THC.

If it still doesn't work I'll grab it of ya

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk
Might be too much. A 50/50 CBD THC strain is much better for him I think. You don't want to fry his mind, he just wants to sleep.

I'm a huge fan of ganja but I can't sleep when I'm too high, and I'm experienced...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 08:17 PM   #87
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

This

There was a time when “creative entrepreneurs” would travel around in a wagon selling tonics and oils to cure all your ailments. Great crowds would gather to hear the seller, and witnessing users proclaim the miraculous results ! Dreaming of relief, buyers spent profound amounts of their hard earned money,

..................... and then the dream disappeared, and the ailments remained.
Old 13 August 2019, 02:20 AM   #88
envuks

I live in MA and they sell the stuff everywhere. I have friends in the industry as well. What I can share is that quality varies widely by brand.

I find that Colorado CBD and Charlottes web seem to be the best brands. Colorado is a bit lower cost.

My mother has very severe rheumatoid arthritis and, while she’s on a pile of meds, CBD daily does seem to yield positive benefits over time.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 05:45 AM   #89
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Might be too much. A 50/50 CBD THC strain is much better for him I think. You don't want to fry his mind, he just wants to sleep.

I'm a huge fan of ganja but I can't sleep when I'm too high, and I'm experienced...
Completely agree Bas. I tried edible THC, gummy bears, to relax me and to sleep (I don’t smoke). But the effect had me so high I was bouncing around all night long! I was hoping the CBD would have a calming effect without the high of THC. Well, maybe next time it will work better.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:18 PM   #90
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

You're really interesting now more than ever, Bas. I hope to one day visit you and we can look at the trichomes under your loupe. At any rate, indica may work, Paul. May be prudent to ask your doctor.

Now, I'm off to self medicate with water, hops, yeast and malt.

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.