The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 27 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #31
timedate
-

some people i know were out in greece last month, they went to get their passports from the apartment safe the day before their return, and they had all been stolen, all 4 of them,

i never use those safes, people laugh at me when i take my stuff out to the beach,

i make a little pile put a towel over it and keep an eye out.

They had to get diplomatic help and suffer delays, huge costs and the insurer wouldnt pay.
Old 27 June 2019, 03:33 AM   #32
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
i never use those safes
Neither do I. Rookie mistake.
Old 27 June 2019, 03:49 AM   #33
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Geez I've been to many European and Asian cities with my wife, and have taken our small kids along to Budapest, Vienna, Rome, Florence, and Naples with plans to visit London and Berlin later this summer. We are both generally wearing a Rolex or Omega and I'm carrying around a bunch of camera gear to boot. Even in apparent hotbeds of pickpocketing I've come out unscathed, such as in Barcelona. These stories are right up there with "I'd never swim in the ocean off Maui because one guy was killed by a shark off Kaanapali beach" mentality.

There is one exception I can think of, and that is when my wife and I visited Rio. That place is definitely sketchy even if you're very situationally aware. My colleague got mugged in broad daylight crossing the street to go to Ipanema beach in a swim suit, gave the guys $10 and was thrown to the ground. My wife and I were getting paralleled walking down the street by some unsavory individuals until we just went and stood next to an armed law enforcement guy. We hired an awesome local driver to take us to the sites via safe routes during safe times of day. Don't plan on bringing the kids there anytime soon!
Old 27 June 2019, 04:14 AM   #34
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
There is one exception I can think of, and that is when my wife and I visited Rio. That place is definitely sketchy even if you're very situationally aware. My colleague got mugged in broad daylight crossing the street to go to Ipanema beach in a swim suit, gave the guys $10 and was thrown to the ground. My wife and I were getting paralleled walking down the street by some unsavory individuals until we just went and stood next to an armed law enforcement guy. We hired an awesome local driver to take us to the sites via safe routes during safe times of day. Don't plan on bringing the kids there anytime soon!
I can relate. I grew up in Rio and IMO it's one of the most beautiful cities on earth but nowadays I wouldn't advise anyone to visit with wife and kids. You're a brave man. If you're going alone and you're young you'll have a great time in Rio and I'm sure of that. People are very kind. Beautiful girls, beautiful places, very nice atmosphere. Biggest problem is that you have poorness living side by side with incredible wealth. Extremely uneven society. That's why when you grow up there you learn to be smart. So smart you decide not to live there anymore lol. My small city (500k) is absolutely calm and relaxing. I wear a different Submariner everyday without a single concern. Rio's population is almost 10 million. You can't control everything with a number like that. No way.
Old 27 June 2019, 04:20 AM   #35
filsgreen
"TRF" Member

I was going to comment, but mother taught me to say nothing, if I had nothing nice to say.
Old 27 June 2019, 04:50 AM   #36
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I can relate. I grew up in Rio and IMO it's one of the most beautiful cities on earth but nowadays I wouldn't advise anyone to visit with wife and kids. You're a brave man. If you're going alone and you're young you'll have a great time in Rio and I'm sure of that. People are very kind. Beautiful girls, beautiful places, very nice atmosphere. Biggest problem is that you have poorness living side by side with incredible wealth. Extremely uneven society. That's why when you grow up there you learn to be smart. So smart you decide not to live there anymore lol. My small city (500k) is absolutely calm and relaxing. I wear a different Submariner everyday without a single concern. Rio's population is almost 10 million. You can't control everything with a number like that. No way.
I agree it's one of the most beautiful places I've visited. Amazing geography, great beaches, good food. What blew my mind was that the land occupied by the favelas would be considered prime real estate anywhere else, ocean views for everyone!
Old 27 June 2019, 04:58 AM   #37
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I agree it's one of the most beautiful places I've visited. Amazing geography, great beaches, good food. What blew my mind was that the land occupied by the favelas would be considered prime real estate anywhere else, ocean views for everyone!
Agree. Mind blowing. Makes me happy that at least those with low means with major difficulties in their lives can enjoy those wonderful views.
Old 27 June 2019, 05:15 AM   #38
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by filsgreen View Post
I was going to comment, but mother taught me to say nothing, if I had nothing nice to say.
and i know what you were going to say
Old 27 June 2019, 06:04 AM   #39
FTX I
"TRF" Member

They say a pic is worth a thousand words. Love you Rio. I hope to move back one day in the future but please get your stuff together sooner than later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rio 2.jpg (193.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 27 June 2019, 06:10 AM   #40
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetony View Post
Always be on the lookout no matter where, no place is immune to these type of activities.
Agree totally
Old 27 June 2019, 06:15 AM   #41
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
Agree totally
Everywhere has its fair share of the bad people.
Old 27 June 2019, 06:19 AM   #42
aero
"TRF" Member

Hi, Guys,

Experience comes from things that happened to you in most of cases.
Had problems of trying to be pickpocketed more than once in Spain, same in Paris, it really happened in Brussels this march ( Iphone ) , but nothing happened in places where it was supposed to ( Uganda, Tanzania, Honduras...).
Bondtoys lives in Germany. A very close friend of mine was harassed by immigrants. Some other friends reported persons trying to attack women in some neighborhoods of London - they posted at poles "sharia rules here ". Tudorbaja thinks the same that Bondtoys does. And I respect their opinions.
I live in Brazil, Sao Paulo. But work in Rio. And wear my Rolexes all the time ( not in Rio, once I don't now how to manage the places, already ) .
All is based upon personal opinion and long time traveling worldwide.
Best Wishes to all,

Aero .
Old 27 June 2019, 06:36 AM   #43
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Sorry, your explanation just makes it even worse.

Women unfortunately are getting harrassed by all kind of people - worldwide.
Your comments about refugees and other minorities are just pathetic and border on racism.
Old 27 June 2019, 06:49 AM   #44
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I do sometimes pause in astonishment at where these perceptions of Europe come from.

If we can agree some places are more safe than others - then that’s far more driven by time of day and specific location (at the street level of proximity) than writing off whole continents

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 27 June 2019, 07:16 AM   #45
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Sorry, your explanation just makes it even worse.

Women unfortunately are getting harrassed by all kind of people - worldwide.
Your comments about refugees and other minorities are just pathetic and border on racism.

you hadn't heard of the systematic and coordinated mass assaults on females at cologne railway station new years eve 2016, reports of 1000?

yet you decide to attack someones view.
Old 27 June 2019, 07:24 AM   #46
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Crime index by city 2019.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings.jsp

Safety Index by city 2019.

https://globalresidenceindex.com/hnw.../safety-index/

Most dangerous cities in the world by murder rate 2018

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...te-per-capita/

DAVE

Old 27 June 2019, 08:06 AM   #47
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
you hadn't heard of the systematic and coordinated mass assaults on females at cologne railway station new years eve 2016, reports of 1000?

Of course I have. And that they where systematic and coordinated is not accurate. It was a relatively small group of african illegal immigrants (who are moving all over Europe) who where doing it and there is nothing to excuse about that.
Such a thing never happened before and not after.

So, what does it say about Germany? About migrants? About Refugees?

We presently have a court trial of a white german male who has killed 80-300 people in nursery homes!
What does it say about the criminal behavior of white males from Germany?

That was my point, and yes, I challenge everyone and attack them when they use horrible crimes to seed prejudice - preferrably on minorities!

Matter of fact: Young men are the largest group that potentially commit crimes.
Old 27 June 2019, 09:17 AM   #48
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Greetings from Medellin, Colombia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 June 2019, 09:26 AM   #49
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero View Post
Europe is not what it used to be. I travel a lot, and honestly ? Nothing is as safe as US.
We are boarding on vacation , three cities ( Paris, Barcelona and Lisbon). Considering seriously about taking only the Garmin to the trip. Wife and kids will attract attention for the pickpockets. Showing jewelry adds more spice to this.
Refugees, local unemployed persons...they will go for watches, cellphones, wallets, anything.
This is the most ridiculous statement. I go to Paris several time a year, I had never had issues wearing my watches. I think some people just attract pick pockets, maybe the way they behave, flashy dress, etc as if their body language scream “rich tourist”... and when they do, it doesn’t really matter where they are.
Old 27 June 2019, 09:28 AM   #50
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandWatch View Post
Basic situational awareness should keep one safe in the majority of cities. Of course, there are parts of every city it would be wise to avoid.

Having said that, I suspect social media/ instagram has helped promote the hot watches to such an extent that the thieves know exactly which models to go for.
There’s always a chance the guy was one of these fake Instagram ‘influencers/motivators’ who wear fake watches and pose in rented cars!

Be funny if some drug lord in Ibiza shells out a few $k on a fake RM without knowing.
Old 27 June 2019, 10:00 AM   #51
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Confirmation bias. Would guess people feel the safest in their comfort zone, i.e. the country that is their own backyard.

Been all around the world wearing either a Rolex or AP, never had an issue as long as one exercises common sense.
Old 27 June 2019, 10:09 AM   #52
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
They say a pic is worth a thousand words. Love you Rio. I hope to move back one day in the future but please get your stuff together sooner than later.
Stunning picture Flavio!
Old 27 June 2019, 10:11 AM   #53
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I must be blessed to have survived Italy (Napoli, Florence, Pompei, Rome, Santa Margherita, Pisa), France (Nice/Eze), Spain (Mallorca, Montserrat, Barcelona), Monaco and Portugal (Lisbon), all with my Pepsi and DD40.
Never felt threatened. Just always maintained good awareness of my surroundings.
Old 27 June 2019, 10:20 AM   #54
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Stunning picture Flavio!
Thanks buddy. Glad you liked.
Old 27 June 2019, 10:42 AM   #55
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Freak View Post
Got pickpocketed twice (caught the thief the second time) during my trip in Italy.
Oh no, am headed there.
Where exactly in Italy?
Thanks
Old 27 June 2019, 11:04 AM   #56
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Oh no, am headed there.

Where exactly in Italy?

Thanks

I would cancel your trip if I were you! Or...you could read the other posts here properly, not be so ridiculous, actually learn something and enjoy the trip instead
Old 27 June 2019, 11:10 AM   #57
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
I would cancel your trip if I were you! Or...you could read the other posts here properly, not be so ridiculous, actually learn something and enjoy the trip instead
Cancelling is out of the question.

I needed a response from the member I quoted.
It was directed to him.

Respond properly.

Cheers
Old 27 June 2019, 02:09 PM   #58
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beautiful city, beautiful photo! I spent a couple of very happy weeks in Rio in the early 90s during my gap year travels, loved it, was reasonably careful all the time, and had no issues whatsoever.

I’ve traveled loads, been to most places. It’s strange, I think there are some places one can almost “feel the tension” in the atmosphere. Parts of Rio felt like that.
Old 27 June 2019, 02:32 PM   #59
milov
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't you have some other forum to tout this sort of crap that isn't TRF?
Old 27 June 2019, 05:31 PM   #60
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by milov View Post
Don't you have some other forum to tout this sort of crap that isn't TRF?
Its true so please dont call a event that ruined a lot of lives of women crap.