The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Triple Crown
Banned

Daytona Subdials

Let me begin this thread by saying that I have long admired nearly all Daytona references.

A few months ago, a good friend was contemplating a white gold on OF. While discussing the prospective purchase with another WIS, he remarked that the one thing he disliked about the Daytona is the “asymmetrical” placement of the left and right subdials. When pressed, he noted that the left subdial is closer to the 10 o’clock hour marker than the 8 o’clock marker, and the right subdial closer to the 2 than the 4 o’clock marker. In other words, neither subdial is equidistant from its closest markers.

At first, I had no idea what he was talking about. But then, after looking at a picture, I understood immediately. To me, the subdials now look “off,” and I cannot un-see the “issue.”

Anyone else notice/distracted by this?
Triple Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 10:55 PM   #2
Helmi
"TRF" Member

It is very well known that the 3 and 9 o'clock sub-dials are not exactly centered at 3 and 9 and are shifted a little upwards towards 2 and 10 o'clock. Some people see this a design defect, in fact one good you tuber called IDGUY has discussed this in details on one of his videos and pointed it as a design defect of the modern daytona. For me it is OK and doesn't bother me the slightest. I would have preferred perfect symmetry of the dial but they have done this in order not to make the sub-dials smaller and the overall spacing on the dial would look off. To each their own but I like my Daytonas the way they are
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 10:57 PM   #3
Martymcflyface
"TRF" Member

I see what you mean, but I think it actually looks more balanced with the dials where they are as opposed to being lower and equidistant to the hour markers.
If they were lower there would be a big empty space on top would look too cluttered on the bottom.
Martymcflyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 11:09 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

In the past the Daytona subdials were placed differently.

Since then the 4130 movement was designed and I believe the chrono module made the change necessary.

Of course the OP’s friend has choices...AP is centered...

But the best choice might be the 63xx versions of the Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 11:12 PM   #5
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Crown View Post
Let me begin this thread by saying that I have long admired nearly all Daytona references.

A few months ago, a good friend was contemplating a white gold on OF. While discussing the prospective purchase with another WIS, he remarked that the one thing he disliked about the Daytona is the “asymmetrical” placement of the left and right subdials. When pressed, he noted that the left subdial is closer to the 10 o’clock hour marker than the 8 o’clock marker, and the right subdial closer to the 2 than the 4 o’clock marker. In other words, neither subdial is equidistant from its closest markers.

At first, I had no idea what he was talking about. But then, after looking at a picture, I understood immediately. To me, the subdials now look “off,” and I cannot un-see the “issue.”

Its been like that since Rolex replaced the Zenith movement with the in house 4130 movement.

A design "feauture" of the 4130

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 11:21 PM   #6
Triple Crown
Banned

Perhaps Rolex will address it if/when the size of the Daytona case is increased (as some are hoping for).
Old 13 August 2019, 11:23 PM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I've owned several Daytona's and never noticed, or cared. Now that I see the pictures, I still don't.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 11:27 PM   #8
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I've owned several Daytona's and never noticed, or cared. Now that I see the pictures, I still don't.
X2
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 11:27 PM   #9
ddubb
"TRF" Member

TBH, I actually never really noticed this before. I’ve had a Daytona in my collection since 2015, and that asymmetry actually never really registered with me lol. It must have not bothered me - I hope it doesn’t start to bother me now that I’m conscious of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 11:29 PM   #10
dmb359

the dial wouldn't be very balanced if those subdials were lower, based on the rest of the dial in these newer 116500 models. The Crown and text are lower in the older daytonas too. I prefer the crown placement on the newer models.

All 3 watches posted above look balanced to me as they are

Have my Daytona on right now, and it doesn't "bother" me in the least
Old 13 August 2019, 11:29 PM   #11
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

its been like this for almost 20 years. looks normal to me.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 12:18 AM   #12
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I’ve made my peace with it. I’m just that easy!
Old 14 August 2019, 12:29 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Total, absolute non-issue. The subdials are symmetrical to each other and to the center subdial. That's all that matters.

That's like saying you don't like the 6263 because the chrono pushers are not the same distance from the crown. (The lower pusher is farther away.) It's a feature of the design/movement, like on modern Daytonas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6263 TRF Top View-After.jpg (278.4 KB, 772 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 12:35 AM   #14
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
total, absolute non-issue. The sub dials are symmetrical to each other and the center subdial. That's all that matters.

That's like saying you don't like the 6263 because the chrono pushers are not the same distance from the crown. (the lower pusher is farther away.) it's a feature of the design/movement, like on modern daytonas.
+1.
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 12:55 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

non-issue for me, too. Looks and wears great!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 01:11 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The flaw in this assumption is that, somehow, the movement should always be engineered to "look pretty" with an already designed dial layout.

For those who consider this a flawed design and cannot "unsee" such incompetence on Rolex part, I will be happy to take these abominations off your hands.
Old 14 August 2019, 01:30 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
I still do not see it and would not give it a concern if I did.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 07:23 AM   #18
Lucky Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Daytona Subdials

When you look at a door design or signage they sit at a 60/40 split as it is more pleasing to the eye
If the design is on centre it doesn’t look right as it sits low rather than proud
You just never notice it

It’s the same as your own face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 08:55 AM   #19
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 08:59 AM   #20
Toony
"TRF" Member

A tell tale sign of a fake is one that is lined up with the center hands
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 09:25 AM   #21
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
Some people see this a design defect, in fact one good you tuber called IDGUY has discussed this in details on one of his videos and pointed it as a design defect of the modern daytona.]
I've seen his channel. Not sure where his newfound authority on watches has come from. He only seems to buy dirt cheap China fake factory crap. Seiko mecaquartz layout vs mechanical chronos from a design standpoint seriously?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 10:55 AM   #22
Triple Crown
Banned

Quote:
Total, absolute non-issue. The subdials are symmetrical to each other and to the center subdial. That's all that matters.

That's like saying you don't like the 6263 because the chrono pushers are not the same distance from the crown. (The lower pusher is farther away.) It's a feature of the design/movement, like on modern Daytonas.
I did not know that about the pushers on the 6263. Thanks for the knowledge!
Old 14 August 2019, 12:07 PM   #23
Grnvette65
"TRF" Member

When the 4130 came out it was my understanding that the sub dials were purposely placed that way so it was less likely to be copied by fakes. The other option I read at that time was to place the sub dials slightly below the 3 o’clock axis. In any event I actually like the placement and gives the Daytona a very unique look.
Grnvette65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 12:16 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 04:42 PM   #25
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's like saying you don't like the 6263 because the chrono pushers are not the same distance from the crown. (The lower pusher is farther away.)
Instant relief! You just made me fall out of love with the 6263! I shall find sleep again. (Jus' kiddin'.)

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 06:56 PM   #26
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I've seen his channel. Not sure where his newfound authority on watches has come from. He only seems to buy dirt cheap China fake factory crap. Seiko mecaquartz layout vs mechanical chronos from a design standpoint seriously?

To be frank, I don't care what he buys, I just listen to his opinion from technical design criticism point of view and I find his points valid. It seems that he is an interior designer or so that is why he cares about tiny matters that no one else notice
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 07:07 PM   #27
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:

So what?! Who decided they're off and have to be equidistant?
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 08:25 PM   #28
Triple Crown
Banned

Well, for one, my friend, who opted not to buy one for that very reason. And, I suppose, AP, Breitling, Omega, Heuer, and the other manufacturers whose subdials are “equidistant” (as Rolex subdials themselves used to be).

I didn’t come on here to start a fight. I offered an observation and an opinion, and I asked a question.
Old 15 August 2019, 12:11 AM   #29
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Relax OP, it’s just friendly banter.

To answer your question, it does not bother me at all.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 12:21 AM   #30
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Well, for one, my friend, who opted not to buy one for that very reason. And, I suppose, AP, Breitling, Omega, Heuer, and the other manufacturers whose subdials are “equidistant” (as Rolex subdials themselves used to be).

I didn’t come on here to start a fight. I offered an observation and an opinion, and I asked a question.
The AP chronos might have "equidistant" subdials, but the whole look is certainly not symmetrical, with that uncentered date window (looks almost crooked) and smaller center subdial.

I actually think this is a handsome chrono, but my point is not everything on a watch needs to be perfectly symmetrical, for me anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP.jpg (274.4 KB, 307 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote