The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 November 2008, 06:01 AM   #1
jdsons
"TRF" Member

Omega vs Longies

Could not find it on a search.

I noticed Both Omega and Longies are part of the same watch group. Are these products comparable? Is Longies the cheaper version, or less known underrated version?

Thanks,
jdsons
jdsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Mort
"TRF" Member

Longines and Omega are both part of the Swatch group, but but are very different in most of their lines.

Both have very long historys and significant stories. As far as models go, they are pretty different. Omega has a great history as being a tool or sport watch and longines has traditionaly been more towards the dress watch.

As far as movements go in the recient years, Omega has been in the mechanical end much longer than Longines has since the days of mostly quartz watches. But Longines has really made a turn around and is offering some really great mechanical watches at a good price.

Omega has a better history as far as acheivements. It was the watch worn on the moon and has had a long relationship with NASA. Longines has a long history with the olympics as an offical time keeper in many past olympics.

To answer your question, Longines may be underated but I would not call it cheaper as far as the line goes. Omega is just more iconic because of its history and its name in general. Still I like both brands and to me one does not seem better than the other only in the fact that Omega has not really fallen down in the same way Longines did in years past. But this is based on the quartz days.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Longines has a great history as one of the most distinguished watch makers in the Swiss cantons. Regrettably, that heritage was forgotten and for many years Longines was a shaddow of its former self - just a name and a case for some undistinguished Quartz watches. But I agree with Mort - Longines are making a come back with some great designs and mechanical watches which hark back to their glory days of the 20's and 30's. But I think Omega will always be a notch above them now - Longines are realy on a par with second tier luxury watch brands, such as Baum and Mercier.

It should not have happened that way. Swatch saved the company from bankruptcy when they took it over but they took away its heart and soul. I think they are starting to redress that now.

I have a great affection for Longines. My 21st birthday watch is a Longines - based on one of their art deco designs of the 20's. Its only a quartz but it has great significance for me. Albert Einstein also wore a Longines.
Old 20 November 2008, 08:50 AM   #4
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i'll let swatch group answer the question: http://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands...es_and_jewelry
omega falls within the prestige and luxury range; longines is placed in the high range.
straight from the horse's mouth.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
jdsons
"TRF" Member

Thanks

I am looking at a quality automatic, it will be my first. Due to the economic stress of the country, I am just trying to get the most for my money. There are a few watches I am looking at and Omega and Longies are in the game. I don't know alot when it comes to the industry of watchmaking. When they say same group, I am thinking, same inside and minimal difference on the outside-like Chevy and GMC. I think I understand now. I am doing my homework, when time permits. Learning about watches-inside and out-is almost as fun as looking at them turn right (work).

Thanks for the quick response gang.
jdsons (Julian)
jdsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I'm partial to Longines. These are all automatics from the 70's. The top one is on a brown lizard strap now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Longines Buick 1.JPG (155.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg longines 2.JPG (144.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg longines Chinese.jpg (102.0 KB, 154 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 11:49 PM   #7
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watches Al. I love the middle one - very classic. I have a soft spot for mesh bracelets - I wish there were more of them around now.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Longines has a great history as one of the most distinguished watch makers in the Swiss cantons. Regrettably, that heritage was forgotten and for many years Longines was a shaddow of its former self - just a name and a case for some undistinguished Quartz watches. But I agree with Mort - Longines are making a come back with some great designs and mechanical watches which hark back to their glory days of the 20's and 30's. But I think Omega will always be a notch above them now - Longines are realy on a par with second tier luxury watch brands, such as Baum and Mercier.

It should not have happened that way. Swatch saved the company from bankruptcy when they took it over but they took away its heart and soul. I think they are starting to redress that now.

I have a great affection for Longines. My 21st birthday watch is a Longines - based on one of their art deco designs of the 20's. Its only a quartz but it has great significance for me. Albert Einstein also wore a Longines.
David,

I too have a great affection for Longines as it was the first nice watch I owned and was given to me for high school graduation. It is the ultra thin quartz dress watch. At the time it was the thinest watch on the market. My Mom paid $500 for it. In 1980 that was a fairly expencive watch. I Still have it and cherish it.

I think thats one of the great things about our hobby/obsession. The memories of what kind of got us started or what was going on when we got that first or even other great watch.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
David,

I too have a great affection for Longines as it was the first nice watch I owned and was given to me for high school graduation. It is the ultra thin quartz dress watch. At the time it was the thinest watch on the market. My Mom paid $500 for it. In 1980 that was a fairly expencive watch. I Still have it and cherish it.

I think thats one of the great things about our hobby/obsession. The memories of what kind of got us started or what was going on when we got that first or even other great watch.
Yes - its amazing how a watch can can take you back and carry so many sentiments.

My Longines was bought for me in 87. I will try and post a pic later. Its thin and is a "Tank American" style - I think based on an original Longines of the 20's. On the case back it says the watch was released to commemorate Longine's 150th Anniversary.
Old 21 November 2008, 09:32 AM   #10
chazha
"TRF" Member

Watch: mickey watch
Longines is BIIIIIG in China in these days!! A really great comeback for Longines!
chazha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Longiness is a great watch, I owned one and would consider buying another, a very goodvalue watch if bought pre-owned. Same can be said for Omega.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2008, 03:54 PM   #12
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
i'll let swatch group answer the question: http://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands...es_and_jewelry
omega falls within the prestige and luxury range; longines is placed in the high range.
straight from the horse's mouth.
Interesting to see that Swatch considers Omega to be in the same group as Blancpain, Glashutte Original and Breguet.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote