The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 July 2019, 02:26 AM   #1
Dinandriver
"TRF" Member

Any thoughts or suggestions if buying on eBay?

Hello again,
I’m ready to pull the trigger on a DSSD either black face or JC, preferably new or at least 2015 or newer. The market seems pretty nuts right now and looks like I might have to resort to eBay... Any suggestions on how not to get ripped off with a fake or lemon on there? Also, if you have any suggestions for a TD instead, in the US, that would be greatly appreciated...
Dinandriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:28 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinandriver View Post
preferably new
My advice? Forgo the headache and walk into an AD and if they have one pull the trigger (or get on a waiting list). If you insist on going second hand, do your due diligence and research the seller.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:41 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
The market seems pretty nuts right now and looks like I might have to resort to eBay...

Doesn't that sound like a bad idea?

It sure does to me.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:42 AM   #4
Radix
"TRF" Member

I personally would never take a chance on eBay. Either an AD or a trusted seller like Thanh Do, aka Takuya (https://www.takuyawatches.com).
Radix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 05:21 AM   #5
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radix View Post
I personally would never take a chance on eBay. Either an AD or a trusted seller like Thanh Do, aka Takuya (https://www.takuyawatches.com).
That is some of the best advice you will receive.

There are just TOO many issues with fakes, rip-offs, and so many complaints and horror stories about ebay posted at the watch websites.

It is just not worth the risk.

The successful ebay buyers have a LOT of skill and experience. And some luck to boot.

For myself, I just would never do it.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:46 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Don’t.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:49 AM   #7
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Follow these 2 basic rules and you cannot go wrong.

1. Buy the seller
2. Never forget rule number 1
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:48 AM   #8
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I have friends that. Have surprisingly they made money on them. Not rolex tho. Cartier
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:51 AM   #9
Rocket launcher
Banned

AD and wait or
Trusted Seller...
Not the bay unless face to face and they have origional receipt and everything from that being the original buyer ..there address matches the name on receipt and utility bills etc...
And you know the watch inside out and you know every detail of a real watch compared to a fake
Would you hand tens of thousands to a stranger
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:51 AM   #10
ruffa
"TRF" Member

I am more cautious when buying on ebay but I've purchased on there numerous times. If user wasnt active for a long time, the accounts get hacked and often times you will find scam deals. Ask the seller to put a random word on a note next to the watch and send you a picture confirming he has the watch. Just make sure everything is legit. Bring it to an AD to verify authenticity.
ruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:53 AM   #11
usling15
"TRF" Member

Most important consideration is the you TRUST the seller 100%. Tough to do on EBay. Save yourself the angst & cough up the extra & buy from a trusted seller on TRF. Even on TRF
anyone can post in the for sale section. There are many here that I would not hesitate for a second to purchase from. There are daily affirmations of how good some of these are.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:55 AM   #12
usling15
"TRF" Member

Up till 2 years ago I purchased many watches on EBay. But now there is a plague of scams.
Very scary.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 03:27 AM   #13
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc

I’m selling an Oysterdate Precision manual wind on eBay now. The price is low. The last two times I tried to sell Rolexes on eBay it didn’t work out and ended up selling to OCROLEXGUY. I’ve purchased cheaper Rolexes on eBay. Got lucky. Now to your post:

I would never purchase a DSSD on eBay.

eBay is OK for low end DJ’s etc., but not for higher end watches. Even though they keep your money in escrow for for a reasonable time. You still can’t depend on follow up service 6 months later. If you want to return the watch you go through arbitration and who knows how that turns out.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 03:31 AM   #14
tgyberg
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
Just go with a trusted seller here. That way there is really nothing to worry about.
tgyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 03:29 AM   #15
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
No. Trusted Seller of AD. These large collaborative sites are not for me, when it comes to watches or luxury goods.

Just my .02
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 04:28 AM   #16
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I wouldn’t go eBay route when spending that kind of coin. I’d go to an AD or trusted sellers here like DavidSW, drster, or addy616.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 04:38 AM   #17
Dinandriver
"TRF" Member

Alright! Sounds like my apprehensions were justified. Won’t go the eBay route... Thanks for all the replies everyone! 👍👍
Old 15 July 2019, 04:39 AM   #18
Dinandriver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
I wouldn’t go eBay route when spending that kind of coin. I’d go to an AD or trusted sellers here like DavidSW, drster, or addy616.
Perfect, thanks for the referrals... I’ll reach out to them...
Old 15 July 2019, 05:01 AM   #19
Bostonbert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello again,
I’m ready to pull the trigger on a DSSD either black face or JC, preferably new or at least 2015 or newer. The market seems pretty nuts right now and looks like I might have to resort to eBay... Any suggestions on how not to get ripped off with a fake or lemon on there? Also, if you have any suggestions for a TD instead, in the US, that would be greatly appreciated...
Honest secondary market vendor if you must get one. DavidSW seems popular here and stocks some and so does Govberg. Not the cheapest, but they will check out the watch before selling it (Govberg is a Rolex AD so they probably send it to the manufacturer first). The adage “buy the seller” is critical. EBay is high risk.
Bostonbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:00 PM   #20
Ropa131
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffa View Post
I am more cautious when buying on ebay but I've purchased on there numerous times. If user wasnt active for a long time, the accounts get hacked and often times you will find scam deals. Ask the seller to put a random word on a note next to the watch and send you a picture confirming he has the watch. Just make sure everything is legit. Bring it to an AD to verify authenticity.

Just a warning...Recently I tried purchasing a watch on this forum, I asked the seller to put his username handwritten in the picture which he did. I had the photo analyzed after I was scammed and it was photoshopped. Nothing looked off about it until it was to late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ropa131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:48 PM   #21
ruffa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropa131 View Post
Just a warning...Recently I tried purchasing a watch on this forum, I asked the seller to put his username handwritten in the picture which he did. I had the photo analyzed after I was scammed and it was photoshopped. Nothing looked off about it until it was to late.

Oh noooo!!! You paid by wire? Sad :( I just bought a watch I found on eBay. Paid with PayPal. Hope all goes well followed by an incoming post.
Old 15 July 2019, 02:55 PM   #22
Ropa131
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Oh noooo!!! You paid by wire? Sad :( I just bought a watch I found on eBay. Paid with PayPal. Hope all goes well followed by an incoming post.

Ya paid by wire, it was a member here with references that got hacked by scammers. police are still working on it but as of now there doesn’t seem to be any recourse.

Ropa131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 03:13 PM   #23
ruffa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropa131 View Post
Ya paid by wire, it was a member here with references that got hacked by scammers. police are still working on it but as of now there doesn’t seem to be any recourse.

That’s terrible news brother. I just read that it was 18k. My heart literally felt heavy. I’ve been scammed before too but it was only 4k. I say only because 18k is so much more! :(( I really hope the police and banks take action and find the animal that did this. I wish they took it more seriously. Im sure with the technology these days they can track down anyone and reverse the money but they act like it’s not possible.

Old 15 July 2019, 03:05 PM   #24
lear60man
"TRF" Member

I would buy a Rolex 'through' Ebay if they have a brick and mortar location with some sort of history (BBB no scary stories on the internet etc). Then I would call the number I got off the internet and pay via credit card etc.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 03:15 PM   #25
ruffa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
I would buy a Rolex 'through' Ebay if they have a brick and mortar location with some sort of history (BBB no scary stories on the internet etc). Then I would call the number I got off the internet and pay via credit card etc.

Yes, always pay with credit card if possible. I pay through PayPal with my credit card. That if PayPal takes the side of a potential scammer I can call my cc company.

Old 16 July 2019, 07:15 AM   #26
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Yes, always pay with credit card if possible. I pay through PayPal with my credit card. That if PayPal takes the side of a potential scammer I can call my cc company.

Great advice !
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:51 AM   #27
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:

Absolutely!!!!!! I don’t get all this negative stuff about EBay and even worse “buy the seller” montra. Yes it is important to research seller, get as much evidence they have the timepiece with pic etc. BUT in my opinion and experience the most important thing is to use PayPal & AMX for payment. Even a great seller can make a mistake or not agree with your assessment. If I have protected my seller I can for sure get a refund. If I have sent a wire ( heaven forbid) I am entirely at the seller’s mercy - in sort protect yourself even having “ “bought the seller” already. james in San Antonio, Tx . :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:11 PM   #28
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

ebay is the wild west. I would watch a few episodes of Deadwood and then just assume the ebay seller is Al Swearingen.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:17 PM   #29
ruffa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
ebay is the wild west. I would watch a few episodes of Deadwood and then just assume the ebay seller is Al Swearingen.

You can say the same about the forum. Scammers everywhere. Fellow here got scammed by a solid, reputable member just recently. The account got hacked and one of the fellows on the forum lost 18k.
Old 20 July 2019, 02:22 AM   #30
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You can say the same about the forum. Scammers everywhere. Fellow here got scammed by a solid, reputable member just recently. The account got hacked and one of the fellows on the forum lost 18k.
well that is unfortunate but it doesn't reduce the probability of getting robbed on ebay.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote