The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 June 2019, 08:18 PM   #1
Horology.life
"TRF" Member

Vacheron constantin

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice/experience/thoughts any input really.
So recently I had the opportunity to go into the Miami boutique and try on the VC overseas.
I had a fabulous experience in the shop with the staff looking at different models and explaining the brand and models to me. TBH probably the best experience of any dealer of any brand I have experienced.
I completely fell in love with the overseas, in particular the dual time.
The manufacturer of the piece is outstanding, right down to the way the straps change and the bracelet extension.
Vacheron’s finishing and manufacture is superb and maybe the best I have ever seen, superior to rolex/Panerai and on par with if not better than AP. (Comparing to brands I own)
So why not much love for Vacheron in general?
And overseas owners here? Would love to hear your thoughts on the piece.
Also to fund one I would probably be looking at selling my DeepSea d-blue 116660. And put the extra funds. Would you make this change?
Many thanks in advance.
Old 9 June 2019, 10:27 PM   #2
JP123
"TRF" Member

I bought an overseas recently (black dial) but moved it on pretty quickly. It is a beautiful watch, exquisitely finished and the strap changing system is superb. My only issue with it was that the dial and hands made it just a bit dressier than I was after, whichever strap was on it. I think the dual time is nicer than the one I had btw. I really like the silver version with the red gmt hand.
It was a costly mistake for me but the watch itself is magnificent.
JP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 12:52 AM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I think between feeling overpriced (given huge hit it takes on resale), oversized for smaller / average wrists (much like a 15400/500), and divisive bracelet , it’s just not a forum favorite. Personally I’d rather spend that money somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:18 AM   #4
Talbel
"TRF" Member

I have the 49150, white/silver guilloche dial. Fantastic watch. I bought pre-owned to avoid the value hit, but in terms of quality and finish, it’s at a whole different level then a comparable model Rolex in my opinion. Plus I don’t see them everyday and its nice to have something a little unique.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:24 AM   #5
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Same, had a great experience at the VC boutique and think the new overseas line is outstanding. I'm looking at either a basic 3 hand or a chrono but to be honest, the one problem I have is that the overseas just isn't an iconic a design in a differentiated way like an AP RO or any Rolex. The maltese cross thing is also maybe a little over done and they doubled down on a theme over a unique holistic design. I'm still interested but struggling a bit with the idea of paying $19k for a 3 hand watch that is beautiful and excellently executed but has no unique identity. They've made huge changes from gen 1 to gen 2 to gen 3 so the line hasn't stabilized as an icon which I think means it'll be an awesome deal pre-owned, especially when gen 4 comes out....
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 04:52 AM   #6
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I got a 49150 a few years ago after waiting for some time for the new one to come out (and taking forever to decide on whether I wanted black dial or white dial--black won! :) )

The new one is lovely and quick change strap system rocks, but I don't like that the disc below the bezel (the 49150 had no disc, just bezel above case); that the bracelet tapers too sharply after leaving the case imo, and that the dial is not as distinctive-looking with the new release.

Having said that, it is a matter of personal preference. Both 49150 and new version have excellent case and bracelet finishing with a great mix of brushed/polished surfaces, and are real eye-catchers, particularly under can/quartz style lighting where they really pop, whereas in normal lighting they're more subtle, so tend to "reflect" the occasion very nicely. :y:

I like it because it because as compared to my AP 15400, the VC tends towards the sporty side a bit more than the AP but still has a much more impressive finish than Rolex et al so dresses up much better, it's very versatile. If you flip a lot, try to get at a good discount as they don't hold their value as well as AP/Patek/Rolex, which matters less if you're a buy-and-keep type.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 06:12 AM   #7
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I think between feeling overpriced (given huge hit it takes on resale), oversized for smaller / average wrists (much like a 15400/500), and divisive bracelet , it’s just not a forum favorite. Personally I’d rather spend that money somewhere else.
This is a good explanation except I don't know if the bracelet is so divisive, it seems extremely well made. What happened when they went from 37mm to "big" 41mm? I believe VCO is a competitor to ROO more than Nautilius and RO. It might also be that VC is going after a market that likes big gaudy watches with this one, i.e. Russia.

VC know how to make a good Overseas version (the ultra thin 40mm), only that they made it in white gold and priced it out of this world.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 07:00 AM   #8
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 blue dial
Vacheron constantin

eamonn345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 07:01 AM   #9
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Vacheron constantin

Multiple post by error
Old 10 June 2019, 07:01 AM   #10
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22cps View Post
Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice/experience/thoughts any input really.

So recently I had the opportunity to go into the Miami boutique and try on the VC overseas.

I had a fabulous experience in the shop with the staff looking at different models and explaining the brand and models to me. TBH probably the best experience of any dealer of any brand I have experienced.

I completely fell in love with the overseas, in particular the dual time.

The manufacturer of the piece is outstanding, right down to the way the straps change and the bracelet extension.

Vacheron’s finishing and manufacture is superb and maybe the best I have ever seen, superior to rolex/Panerai and on par with if not better than AP. (Comparing to brands I own)

So why not much love for Vacheron in general?

And overseas owners here? Would love to hear your thoughts on the piece.

Also to fund one I would probably be looking at selling my DeepSea d-blue 116660. And put the extra funds. Would you make this change?

Many thanks in advance.

Hey

I went through a similar problem a few months ago.

I have an AP 15202 and wanted a Chronograph.

For me, when I tried the VC Panda 3rd Gen, it really did blow me away. I ended up buying it and absolutely love it.

The box comes with a leather strap and a rubber.

Have a look at some of Tim Mosso’s reviews on the Vacheron Overseas.

I think engineering wise, it ranks as good as my AP and a Patek Nautilus.

The finishing is a lot better than people make out.

The VC Overseas was not designed by Genta and therefore does not have the same history as the nautilus or Royal Oak. However, the strap change system, link extension, new in house movement and quality of finishing brings a lot of positives to the watch.

Go with what you like.

It wears large so you need to try it before making a final decision.

You can get decent discounts on the VC if you look hard enough.

The resale market for VCs is changing from a couple of years ago and supply has been constrained more now which should help.

I have no regrets at all and absolutely am loving my VC.

Some pics for your consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 June 2019, 07:01 AM   #11
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Vacheron constantin

Multiple post by mistake. Sorry.
Old 10 June 2019, 07:02 AM   #12
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Vacheron constantin

Multiple post by error
Old 10 June 2019, 07:19 AM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Vacheron constantin

I used to own a 49140 and really loved it. I sold it as part of multiple consolidation moves and went from eight wartches to two primary watches. As for a possible third, the new dual time is definitely under consideration. What I like about it is the smaller size, great WR and antimagnetic properties, and for travel, little to no recognition.

All of my experiences with VC have been fantastic (Benjamin Mitchell down there is awesome and Anya at the NYC boutique is as well). So the real issue these days comes down to pricing. For the $25k USD price of the VC, you could also get a gray market Skydweller or GMT Master. If you can get on an AD’s list, retail prices for those watches are significantly less. I’d definitely consider one, but have bought two watches already this year so I’m done for awhile. But I’ll definitely be tempted when they start to become readily available on the secondary market.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 08:10 AM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I used to own a 49140 and really loved it. I sold it as part of multiple consolidation moves and went from eight wartches to two primary watches. As for a possible third, the new dual time is definitely under consideration. What I like about it is the smaller size, great WR and antimagnetic properties, and for travel, little to no recognition.

All of my experiences with VC have been fantastic (Benjamin Mitchell down there is awesome and Anya at the NYC boutique is as well). So the real issue these days comes down to pricing. For the $25k USD price of the VC, you could also get a gray market Skydweller or GMT Master. If you can get on an AD’s list, retail prices for those watches are significantly less. I’d definitely consider one, but have bought two watches already this year so I’m done for awhile. But I’ll definitely be tempted when they start to become readily available on the secondary market.

What size is that travel time, looks great. I wrote them off with 6.5 wrist
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 08:31 AM   #15
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
What size is that travel time, looks great. I wrote them off with 6.5 wrist
The newest Dual Time 7900V is 41mm and my wrist is 6.5" as well. My other two watches are an AP 25960/26022 and a PP 5167. The second generation Dual Time 47450 is slightly bigger at 42.5mm.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 02:06 PM   #16
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

I love VC and their Maltese cross design in the bracelet. But every time I tried them on, they just seemed a little too large for my average wrist.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:25 PM   #17
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Tried the 4500 blue on bracelet but didnt pull the trigger. Did like it but it wears like a royal oak 15400 which is pushing my limits on my 7+ wrist. To bad they didnt make it 1/2mm smaller.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:28 AM   #18
Horology.life
"TRF" Member

Thankyou all so much for your input, experiences and thoughts. It’s helped a great deal. So I’m going to go back to VC next week to try on again. Right now I’m 99% percent sure I’m going to go for it. I love the silver dial model, it makes it so versatile. And with the 3 straps it makes it the perfect travel watch. And like mentioned will be very under the radar.
Also thankyou to those who have shared pictures they all look stunning, the Overseas really is a thing of beauty in my eyes.
I’ve had a look around pre-owned and they’re is hardly anything available.
Should I be able to get a discount at a boutique, or is that a no,no?
Also any one have and thoughts on moving on DSSD D-blue to help fund the overseas?
Thanks as always
Old 11 June 2019, 07:07 AM   #19
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

The quality of VC is obvious when seen in the metal and outstanding. I'm not a flipper - I buy to wear long term so resale wasn't a factor for me but I understand the concerns of some.

Have not seen the dual time silver dial in person but I'm sure it's a stunner in person.

I'm happy with my choice, good luck with yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-m.JPG (112.9 KB, 1117 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 07:07 AM   #20
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

True, there arent that many availabe on the used market. I found one 4500 blue dial 2 months ago for 12300 euro. Seller didnt want to discount more. New i was quoted 13k+ from a grey with a 30 day wait so buying used makes hardly a difference
Old 11 June 2019, 07:19 AM   #21
Horology.life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxedElvis View Post
The quality of VC is obvious when seen in the metal and outstanding. I'm not a flipper - I buy to wear long term so resale wasn't a factor for me but I understand the concerns of some.

Have not seen the dual time silver dial in person but I'm sure it's a stunner in person.

I looked at that dial in store and have to say the blue is stunning, probably the best one blue dial I have ever seen. There is so much depth in the colour.
How do you find having the blue dial?
I’m a real matcher with my outfit so I fear I might not wear it as much I would want. That’s why I was leaning towards the silver.
I’m also not a flipper, I’ve only let two pieces go in the 12 years I’ve been collecting, so resale doesn’t concern me to much either.
Old 11 June 2019, 07:28 AM   #22
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Love the strap/bracelet swapping system. Hate the bezel.

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 07:52 AM   #23
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I looked at that dial in store and have to say the blue is stunning, probably the best one blue dial I have ever seen. There is so much depth in the colour.
How do you find having the blue dial?
I’m a real matcher with my outfit so I fear I might not wear it as much I would want. That’s why I was leaning towards the silver.
I’m also not a flipper, I’ve only let two pieces go in the 12 years I’ve been collecting, so resale doesn’t concern me to much either.

I LOVE blue dials and this one is "rich", best way I can describe it. I don't really match clothes to watch dials so I wear it with anything. But, I can certainly understand the choice of silver as more versatile. Buy what makes you happy - again - happy with my choice including the blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-blue.JPG (122.8 KB, 1114 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 08:38 PM   #24
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, i generaly wear my blue dial/strap watches with blue/navy suits if paired with black shoes (brown shoes i go for rose gold on brown strap). So a blue vc would be easy to pair imo. Bit sporty and big so i would use the leather strap if paired with a suit and bracelet for (dress) shirt days
Old 11 June 2019, 09:41 PM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

I was really taken with this blue dial when I saw it but there was no discount on offer at all, and I'd really like it if on one of my visits to their stores there was once another customer in the damn shop.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 09:44 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I LOVE blue dials and this one is "rich", best way I can describe it. I don't really match clothes to watch dials so I wear it with anything. But, I can certainly understand the choice of silver as more versatile. Buy what makes you happy - again - happy with my choice including the blue.
Excellent blue representation. I had/have the YM and Sub blues and the Sub's is more vibrant so I'd think about getting that instead.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 03:03 AM   #27
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Love the strap system and that it comes with a rubber and leather so thats a big plus. When I tried it on, I thought it was a well made and good looking watch. Reason I don't own one yet is because at that price point ($20k ish) there are other options I'd rather have beforehand.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 01:04 AM   #28
shafran
"TRF" Member

I have Version 2 dual time

Great watch. I also own an ap roo, a journe centigraph, a 42mm panerai radiomir, a grande lange, a gold daytona and a pp 5167.
It wears smaller than the ap, similar to my 42mm panerai and journe. Great watches.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:14 PM   #29
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
It is a great watch

The blue matches with so many things. There are multiple strap options, not just the one that comes with the watch. I also purchased the black rubber as shown in the picture and the brown rubber. There are multiple alligators that are available for it which change the look of the watch significantly. This takes it from sporty to dressy literally with a fingernail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:35 PM   #30
Horology.life
"TRF" Member

So after trying on the overseas line again a couple of times and looking at the different models.
I decided on the 3 hand black. I’m a sucker for black dials and with the black leather and rubber straps it just makes it such a versatile piece.
I couldn’t be happier......