The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 May 2024, 09:04 PM   #1
Decoy72
"TRF" Member

Fault with submariner 116610LV Dial

So recently I noticed there is an issue with the dial of my submariner 116610LV. Unfortunately the minute markers and also the lettering on the 'Swiss made' have begun to detereate, the deterriation is only from the the four o'clock to the seven o'clock markers, the rest of the dial is perfect.
I have owned the watch since new and it was purchased from my AD back in 2016.
In 2022 my AD sent it away to the Rolex service centre due to a noisey rotor arm, were it had a full service.

My AD has just contacted me with the news that Rolex have stated a new dial in required at considerable expense, unfortunately they will not elaborate or even discuss why this fault has occurred.

The watch has never been opened by anyone other than Rolex and at no point has the crown ever been left loose.
I have images of the dial from the day of purchase and can clearly see the dial was perfect, can anyone tell me what would cause this problem?
Advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240506_101545_Gallery.jpg (143.2 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240506_101336_Gallery.jpg (87.5 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240506_101228_Gallery.jpg (123.8 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240506_101208_Gallery.jpg (111.4 KB, 475 views)
Decoy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 09:11 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would contact Rolex RSC myself and have a conversation with them. I would probably submit the watch for them to look at and determine the best course of action.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 09:14 PM   #3
Decoy72
"TRF" Member

It has been submitted to them already, the only information they will give me is to replace the dial!
Old 6 May 2024, 09:42 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
That’s a strange one and clearly something that shouldn’t happen. Hopefully the new dial will make it right and hopefully Rolex themselves will explain why it is like it is
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 11:23 PM   #5
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
patina?
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 12:03 AM   #6
SAP7
"TRF" Member

Error
SAP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 03:04 AM   #7
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Depending on when in 2022 you sent it out, shouldn't something like this be covered under the new warranty? Do you have pics of when it came back in 2022 after the service. Wondering if there was an issue with the dial that wasn't noticed and the disassembly / service / reassembly caused the paint to fleck.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 03:16 AM   #8
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Fault with submariner 116610LV Dial

Yeah, I’d push back and get more info from RSC.

What is the quoted cost for the dial?

If this swap is for aesthetics only id be inclined to keep the dial. You can’t see that deterioration with the naked eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 07:30 AM   #9
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

What is the quoted cost for the dial?
?
kkqd1337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 05:04 AM   #10
Decoy72
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately I dont have pictures from when it returned from the service, but I do have a full itemised written appraisal and there is no mention of any issue with the dial. The service that was done in 2022 gives a two warranty and it is now a week past the two years!
The RSC will not even entertain a further discussion, it is a case of do you want it done or not! They have said that the flecks of paint could get into the movement and cause more damage, so that leaves me in a no other option situation! I have asked for a Good will gesture, especially as it is only a week out of warranty. That was met with a straight no!

I find the whole situation frustrating especially as I can't get a reason why the dial has failed!

I can't help but feel there has been a level of incompetence when the service was done.
Old 7 May 2024, 05:09 AM   #11
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

What magnification are you using? Are these defects visible to the naked eye? I'd be frustrated too if Rolex QC is to blame and they refused to discuss outside of charging for a new dial.
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 07:07 AM   #12
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoy72 View Post
So recently I noticed there is an issue with the dial of my submariner 116610LV. Unfortunately the minute markers and also the lettering on the 'Swiss made' have begun to detereate, the deterriation is only from the the four o'clock to the seven o'clock markers, the rest of the dial is perfect.
I have owned the watch since new and it was purchased from my AD back in 2016.
In 2022 my AD sent it away to the Rolex service centre due to a noisey rotor arm, were it had a full service.

My AD has just contacted me with the news that Rolex have stated a new dial in required at considerable expense, unfortunately they will not elaborate or even discuss why this fault has occurred.

The watch has never been opened by anyone other than Rolex and at no point has the crown ever been left loose.
I have images of the dial from the day of purchase and can clearly see the dial was perfect, can anyone tell me what would cause this problem?
Advice would be appreciated.
Your watch is 8 years old.

No defect was noted by the RSC 2 years ago.

You can (legally) assume that the dial has deteriorated in 2 years or less.

That's not acceptable, irrespective of the overall age.

Speak to the RSC directly. Ask them if they feel its acceptable for a Rolex dial to deteriorate in just 2 years.

Particularly when Rolex now suggest 10 year service intervals. Which suggests parts should last at least that long.

If you get any pushback tell te RSC that you have no option other than to get Trading Standards involved.

Good luck.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 07:41 AM   #13
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Could we see a picture of the whole watch?
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 01:46 AM   #14
Decoy72
"TRF" Member

So I took your advice and spoke with the RSC today .unfortunately I had the displeasure of speaking with a lady called Amy, hoping to get some further information on why my dial has detereated the way it has.
I'm disgusted in the way Rolex think they are able to treat customers! The lady was extremely rude and very unhelpful!
I was told that it is not uncommon for a dial to fail and it is likely caused by UV exposure!! Which is even more laughable as I live in the UK!
The other reason I was told is, apparently down to the way I wear it! As I informed her, if wearing it on my wrist and treating it as my pride and joy is wrong then yes I'm doing something wrong!!

If I want more answers she informed that I have to write to Rolex and ask if someone more senior could contact me, my request will be reviewed and someone may get back to me!! Unbelievable!!!