The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 March 2021, 11:23 AM   #1
hatidua
"TRF" Member

Leather band / strap for a 5513?

My search powers are apparently not up to task. I've tried searching this form with the keywords I thought would work but alas, I am not coming up with results that seem to work.

What are some good sources for leather 20mm wide straps / bands for a vintage 5513 (I guess all 5513's are vintage at this point...)?

A locking clasp would be great but I'll make do if that's not in the cards. Waterproof is key, I have owned my 5513 since new in '83 and catching/releasing fish is an extremely frequent habit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 11:31 AM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Roverhaven makes an awesome Leather Strap. But trust me, you want to fish on Stainless Steel (find a new 93150) or best, really, a nylon 5 Ring NATO strap. If your line wraps and pops the bracelet off, you're screwed. With a NATO you have a reserve.

Trust me, and remember more Rolex watches are at the bottom of the Ocean than there are Sea Shells in the Sky.
Old 20 March 2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

There are some great leather straps available ... soft, supple, beautiful. But leather that has been "waterproofed" generally does not fall into this category. So if you want waterproof, you can use SS, NATO/nylon, rubber, or crappy leather.
Old 20 March 2021, 01:00 PM   #4
FLAMAN
"TRF" Member

High quality Horween leather and other styles. Won't disappoint.
bandrbands website
FLAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 01:09 PM   #5
hatidua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Roverhaven makes an awesome Leather Strap. But trust me, you want to fish on Stainless Steel (find a new 93150) or best, really, a nylon 5 Ring NATO strap. If your line wraps and pops the bracelet off, you're screwed. With a NATO you have a reserve.

Trust me, and remember more Rolex watches are at the bottom of the Ocean than there are Sea Shells in the Sky.
-yeah, I donated one to the deep back in the early 80's, I fear your recommendations will keep me in the current 93150.

Thank you though-
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
-yeah, I donated one to the deep back in the early 80's ...
Oh no, I can't imagine the feeling ...
Old 20 March 2021, 01:29 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMAN View Post
bandrbands website
Agree. I've bought several times from BandRBands, and had a great experience every time. Awesome leather straps. No affiliation.
zapokee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 02:34 PM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
God that must have been upsetting losing a watch like that. At the end of feb I hit the outdoor rink with my girls and I brought my goalie pads and skates to let them take some shots. I was so irritated that I left my tudor Submariner on. It’s on a nato, but the impact shocks are not great for them. Anyway, I removed it And placed it in my pocket. All ended well. I’ve played with my watches on but only years ago when these Tudors were cheaper.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 03:10 PM   #9
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Stick with a solid bracelet and maybe NATO.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 04:45 PM   #10
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I bought a few from 'Veblenist' and have been very happy with them. Great customer service too.

Last edited by swaini3; 20 March 2021 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: SPELLING
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 01:04 AM   #11
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMAN View Post
bandrbands website
The Roverhaven Straps are phenoiminal, plus the maker walks over to the Horween shop to hand select them ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
-yeah, I donated one to the deep back in the early 80's, I fear your recommendations will keep me in the current 93150.

Thank you though-
My only thought on steel is over water, make it is at least competently rebuilt and in fantastic shape, or NOS (which is what I do) 93150. Or a nylon 5 RING NATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
God that must have been upsetting losing a watch like that. At the end of feb I hit the outdoor rink with my girls and I brought my goalie pads and skates to let them take some shots. I was so irritated that I left my tudor Submariner on. It’s on a nato, but the impact shocks are not great for them. Anyway, I removed it And placed it in my pocket. All ended well. I’ve played with my watches on but only years ago when these Tudors were cheaper.
I was working on the kid's Wrangler last winter when I realized my 61 7928 PCG was one the wrist. I put it in the pocket when using the impact gun and angle grinder.