The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 December 2023, 02:00 PM   #1
j3tang
"TRF" Member

Date ref 1500 End Link Pin

Hi Everyone, first post here looking to get some help with a Date (ref 1500) on a 78350 bracelet with 557 (no 'b') hollow end links. I'm probably going to get the terminology all wrong here, but here goes ...

The ends of the pin that compress into the tube in order to fit the end links into the lug no longer spring back out. So what happens is once I push the little nub inwards, it just stays inside the tube. The pictures attached show on one side the end of the pin completely pulled out and on the other side how that end can get pushed in without resistance.

What should I be replacing in order to get the bracelet back on? Is it something tiny on the inside of the tube that provides the spring action? Or is that part not replaceable and the entire "pin" needs to be replaced?

IMG_6807.jpeg

IMG_6808.jpeg

IMG_6809.jpeg
j3tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2024, 12:41 AM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum!

You do not want to use that spring bar any more.

Just buy replacement 19mm spring bars.. If you go to an AD they should be able to help you, if not near you, any watchmaker..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2024, 12:51 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

+1 ^^^

As TTG indicated, spring-bars are cheap expendable parts. But the security of the entire watch depends on them. So don't think twice, just replace them with quality spring-bars.
Old 1 January 2024, 02:02 AM   #4
j3tang
"TRF" Member

Oh man ... now I feel stupid for asking, I think it just confused me how the whole thing came apart, but now I see it -- for whatever reason I thought this was some kind of weird part.

Appreciate you both setting me straight :)

PS: any reason not to go to the local AD to get a replacement pin? as like you both mentioned, wouldn't want to go buying cheap parts online and I definitely don't trust the few local watchmakers in the area.
Old 1 January 2024, 02:23 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Sure, ask your local AD if they will sell you spring-bars. They will usually be relatively expensive for what they are, but not a big expense in absolute terms.
Old 1 January 2024, 02:30 AM   #6
joe100

Watch: Explorer
There are many consumable items on a watch, spring bars are at the top of that list.
Old 1 January 2024, 02:31 AM   #7
77T

Date ref 1500 End Link Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tang View Post

PS: any reason not to go to the local AD to get a replacement pin? as like you both mentioned, wouldn't want to go buying cheap parts online and I definitely don't trust the few local watchmakers in the area.
The only reason I can think of is this: if the remainder of the springbar is corroded and “fused” to the end link. If so, some careful drilling is in the future.

But, if you can remove both springbars from their associated end links, and are handy with a paperclip as a tool, then just drop by to purchase the springbars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2024, 03:01 AM   #8
j3tang
"TRF" Member

thanks, I was able to remove the sprinter from the tube fairly easily with a bit of a push -- it was just the grime holding it in place :P

I cleaned up both ends and I'll ask for both to be replaced. It's a 70s watch which I'm pretty sure hasn't gotten the love it deserves.

I noticed that these are double shouldered, so hopefully the AD has these 19mm ones available.