The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 4 June 2011, 02:43 AM   #1
walds11
"TRF" Member

Panerai case thickness?

I am possibly looking to add a PAM 233 to my collection. I currently have a PAM 48. Got back into the Panerai fold late last year. 40mm models fit my skinny 6 3/4" wrists just right in my opinion. My previous models were 24, 27C, 104, 112 and two other 48s. I really wanted to like the 312, but that thing is so darn thick (18mm thick)! And I've read that it is 18 quarters thick! What is the case thickness of the 233? How does it wear compare to other 44mm models, like the 104 or 312? I want to make the jump back to 44mm and the 233 keeps popping into my head And it's a nice chunk of change, but there are some decent deals for pre-owned models. And which is more reliable and desirable...am/pm indicator or the dot?
Old 4 June 2011, 03:39 AM   #2
mfer
"TRF" Member

You are going to have to try it on man. It all depends on how the case hugs your wrist. I have a 6.5" wrist and the 233 is fine on me. The bubble adds to the thickness a little so I wouldn't count that. Also the 233 is thinner than the 270 due to it being a manual v. auto.

I've tried on a 45.5mm Omega PO and it looks stupid big.
I've tried on a 47mm Radiomir and it looks ok
I've tried on a 46mm IWC Mission Earth and it fit like a glove.
I've tried on a 42mm IWC Portuguese 7 day at it fit horrible and sat high.

You get the idea.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Yeah you should try it on, measuring the thickness of the watch only without giving it a try is kinda pointless.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Stoodo
"TRF" Member

The 18mm is an exaggeration for the 312. It is really 17.8mm. ;)
Stoodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 11:01 AM   #5
walds11
"TRF" Member

What's the case thickness of the 233?
Old 4 June 2011, 01:10 PM   #6
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I just measured mine. Approx 16mm thick to top of the bubble crystal.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Actually the 312 despite being thick still sits okay on a small wrist. And I have small wrist, I wear my watch at the smallest hole setting on oem straps.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
walds11
"TRF" Member

I thought it was more like in the 17mm range?

I plan on going to the AD this weekend to try one on. Wish me luck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcacncnc View Post
I just measured mine. Approx 16mm thick to top of the bubble crystal.
Old 4 June 2011, 09:05 PM   #9
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

You'll love the 233! Can't wait to see wrist shots.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 09:28 PM   #10
walds11
"TRF" Member

Working on it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticajoe View Post
You'll love the 233! Can't wait to see wrist shots.
Old 5 June 2011, 02:29 AM   #11
walds11
"TRF" Member

I just walked out of Tourneau and tried on a 233 and 312. The 233 is nice and wears smaller than 44mm. Right up my alley :) Tried on a 312. Nice value play, but clunkier than the 233. The case is a tad thicker on the 312. The larger dial and domed crystal on 233 makes it appear and wear smaller and more comfortable. High "premium" to pay for the 233, but the 8 day manual wind in-house movement kicks butt! Almost tempted to go for the 312 for the value play, but I'd probably regret it.
Old 5 June 2011, 08:21 AM   #12
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I just walked out of Tourneau and tried on a 233 and 312. The 233 is nice and wears smaller than 44mm. Right up my alley :) Tried on a 312. Nice value play, but clunkier than the 233. The case is a tad thicker on the 312. The larger dial and domed crystal on 233 makes it appear and wear smaller and more comfortable. High "premium" to pay for the 233, but the 8 day manual wind in-house movement kicks butt! Almost tempted to go for the 312 for the value play, but I'd probably regret it.

Did you go to the one in KOP?

Seems you've got your sights on the 233. I say go for it. You might regret it if you take anything else home.

Good luck.
Old 5 June 2011, 08:51 AM   #13
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See!!! My point exactly. It is all how it looks on yah! I say go for the 233. Its a stunner.
member#3242
Old 5 June 2011, 09:18 AM   #14
walds11
"TRF" Member

Yep, the one at the at the Plaza at the KOP mall. I think I am going to pull the trigger.

Quote:
Did you go to the one in KOP?

Seems you've got your sights on the 233. I say go for it. You might regret it if you take anything else home.

Good luck.
It is a stunner. Probably the best one Panerai to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
See!!! My point exactly. It is all how it looks on yah! I say go for the 233. Its a stunner.
Old 6 June 2011, 10:02 PM   #15
walds11
"TRF" Member

I am having second thoughts. Two things are still bugging me about the 233. There were three, but I bit the bullet on laying out the cash for the watch. First, it's not an auto. Well, I can handle the manual wind because I top off my 48 once a week. Second, hopefully I get long-term satisfaction from my decision because that's a lot of cash to layout for a watch. Also, I have taken long breaks from the brand and tend to come back to the 40mm models. A 40mm Panerai sandwich dial would be ideal for me. My wrist is more like 6 1/2". The 233 does fit very nice on the wrist compared to other models, ie, 312 or even a 104, which I had before. I need to sleep on it some more before making a final decision. Ah, all the fun of this hobby. And if I buy right, no issues when flipping :)
Old 7 June 2011, 01:26 AM   #16
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am having second thoughts. Two things are still bugging me about the 233. There were three, but I bit the bullet on laying out the cash for the watch. First, it's not an auto. Well, I can handle the manual wind because I top off my 48 once a week. Second, hopefully I get long-term satisfaction from my decision because that's a lot of cash to layout for a watch. Also, I have taken long breaks from the brand and tend to come back to the 40mm models. A 40mm Panerai sandwich dial would be ideal for me. My wrist is more like 6 1/2". The 233 does fit very nice on the wrist compared to other models, ie, 312 or even a 104, which I had before. I need to sleep on it some more before making a final decision. Ah, all the fun of this hobby. And if I buy right, no issues when flipping :)
What about a used 233 from a respected seller? That way if you change your mind you'll only lose a small amount or none at all? I could put you in contact with someone or even help you track one down.

The 8 day PR is more like 9-10 days, so you'll only wind it at once a week max! I have a 190 and I'm dying to wind it, but I don't need to!

You'll get used to the size of the 44mm. Do you have other watches that you would wear to more formal occasions? I have a 6.5" wrist and wouldn't hesitate on wearing a 233 to the office. I wouldn't wear it with a suit, but other than that, all the time.
member#3242
Old 7 June 2011, 02:21 AM   #17
walds11
"TRF" Member

I have been browsing the other forums as well and located a few pre-owned 233s. Pre-owned is definitely the way to go to cut losses or none at all if I decide to sell it.

It must take a lot of winding to get it fully loaded after a week?

I have a PAM 48, which I will most likely get rid of if I buy the 233. I also have a Sub 16610. I had 44mm models in the past. See my original post above. I am just worried that I will get tired of the 44mm size. I wear a shirt and tie everyday to work and have no problems wearing a 44mm PAM with that attire. I might as well scratch the darn itch! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
What about a used 233 from a respected seller? That way if you change your mind you'll only lose a small amount or none at all? I could put you in contact with someone or even help you track one down.

The 8 day PR is more like 9-10 days, so you'll only wind it at once a week max! I have a 190 and I'm dying to wind it, but I don't need to!

You'll get used to the size of the 44mm. Do you have other watches that you would wear to more formal occasions? I have a 6.5" wrist and wouldn't hesitate on wearing a 233 to the office. I wouldn't wear it with a suit, but other than that, all the time.
Old 7 June 2011, 02:24 AM   #18
mfer
"TRF" Member

Can anyone here comment on how easy it is to wind a 233?
member#3242
Old 7 June 2011, 10:47 AM   #19
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

mfer - the 233 movement is smooooooth a silk. I've said before, the 8 day movement is so smooth and efficient to wind that its actually easier and faster to wind the full PR than it does in the PAM000. Must have something to do with a more efficient gearing.
Grand Seiko
Old 7 June 2011, 10:52 AM   #20
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

I typically wind mine every 10 days, which I enjoy so much. It's smooth as butter!
Old 7 June 2011, 10:57 AM   #21
walds11
"TRF" Member

You guys are throwing me over the edge :)

Quote:
mfer - the 233 movement is smooooooth a silk. I've said before, the 8 day movement is so smooth and efficient to wind that its actually easier and faster to wind the full PR than it does in the PAM000. Must have something to do with a more efficient gearing.
Quote:
I typically wind mine every 10 days, which I enjoy so much. It's smooth as butter!
Old 7 June 2011, 11:20 AM   #22
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Like I said before, you won't regret it.
Old 7 June 2011, 07:39 PM   #23
walds11
"TRF" Member

My wrist is more rounded than flat, which makes some watches wear and appear larger on my wrist. My PAM 48 fits just right on my wrist. The lugs do not extend out over my wrist if you know what I mean. With 44mm models, the lugs just about extend out. The 233 has nice proportions and presence though. The dome crystal makes it work. It does not feel and look as clunky as it automatic cousin, the 320 (or 312).

The tunnel strap rocks! When I tried the 233 on at the AD, the tunnel strap was notched at the last hole in and the strap was a tad loose, more than I would like it. I am usually always on the seconf to last hole. I probably need to punch a hole in the strap to make it fit right.
Old 7 June 2011, 10:13 PM   #24
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Walds - the tunnel strap I think has one less hole than standard OEM calf straps so thats why you are on the last hole where usually you are on the second last hole. If you wear the tunnel strap on the 233 on the last hole and its a tad loose, then you must have the same wrist size as me. In other words, you should have no problems with a 44mm. Good luck!
Grand Seiko
Old 7 June 2011, 10:23 PM   #25
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Walds - the tunnel strap I think has one less hole than standard OEM calf straps so thats why you are on the last hole where usually you are on the second last hole. If you wear the tunnel strap on the 233 on the last hole and its a tad loose, then you must have the same wrist size as me. In other words, you should have no problems with a 44mm. Good luck!
Good info! I didn't know that!
member#3242
Old 7 June 2011, 10:31 PM   #26
walds11
"TRF" Member

Bryan, there is some flop with the tunnel strap at the last hole in. I like it to be a tad loose, but not floppy. Actually, I am usually at the last hole with 44mm PAMs and second to last hole in with 40mm PAMs. It's been a while since I strap on 44mm PAMs.
Old 7 June 2011, 10:37 PM   #27
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

YUP - just double checked - the 233 tunnel strap has 6 holes instead of 7. It has to do with tunnel grooves. The grooves only go so far down the strap - so that when we wear it on the tightest hole it doesn't "overlap" into the grooves. : - )
Grand Seiko
Old 7 June 2011, 10:41 PM   #28
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Walds - what I did was to buy a second tunnel strap - its the SHORT version of the strap - so that my wife could wear it. And what I do is combine the longer tail end from the longer strap - with the short buckle end of the shorter strap. Fits perfect. The only thing to consider is that if you buy OEM straps now, they all come with BLACK backing, whereas my L series 233 came with the beige backing. No big deal as no one can see the difference unless you take it off the wrist.
Grand Seiko
Old 8 June 2011, 12:52 AM   #29
walds11
"TRF" Member

That's a good idea. Thanks! Now I have to locate a fairly priced pre-owned 233 and pull the trigger.