The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 November 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

2012, V serial?

Can't figure out if I am having a moment of brain fog, or this dosnt make sense... No doubt the watch is authentic, however it is listed as brand new 2012, yet listed as a v serial number - which from, what I can remember is from like 2007/2008?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-18KT-Y...item53eff8f964

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."
A.Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Could be random serial.
Old 13 November 2012, 12:44 AM   #3
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Those pictures look like a white gold Daytona, although ad says yellow gold. Just goes to show what lighting and cameras can do to colors.
Old 13 November 2012, 05:09 AM   #4
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Bright lighting, I think. Looks YG.. but I would question the V-serial #. My TT DJ is a V from '08... unless Daytona's are numbered differently, which I don't think is the case ..?!?

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 05:11 AM   #5
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
It's YG and looks good to me

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
It's just the case serial number, not a true series of watches made in a certain year. I'm not surprised to see an M or even a Z in 18K models sold in 2012 from time to time.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 06:36 AM   #7
jatco

Looks like this one...
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...Ar9Jcc9T2clnXw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
It's just the case serial number, not a true series of watches made in a certain year. I'm not surprised to see an M or even a Z in 18K models sold in 2012 from time to time.
Does that mean a V serial sold in 2012 makes it a 2012 model..?? .. or am I missing something??
Not saying the watch isnt real...just clarification I suppose..

Old 13 November 2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Rolex does not make watches like car manufacturers do with different model years.

the warranty card date gives it the effective dates a warranty would cover.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
A bnib yg dayona random serial is 0% different than a bnib z serial yg daytona.
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 09:46 AM   #10
jatco

..hense, the OP is good to go..!!

Old 13 November 2012, 04:12 PM   #11
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
..hense, the OP is good to go..!!
Haha im not buying that...

or did you mean the person who listed it?

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."
Old 13 November 2012, 04:19 PM   #12
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio Mosiello View Post
A bnib yg dayona random serial is 0% different than a bnib z serial yg daytona.
Sorry if I am being a little slow on the uptake here... but could you explain this further?

are you saying that if you bought a rolex in 2007, 5 years ago, but never wore it, you can sell it legitimately as a 2012? I always assumed productions dates when I bought. From what I had thought I understood was that in this kind of scenario the watch would be considered 'new' old stock. At tourneau I have purchased new old stock at hefty discounts, sans warranty (labeled pre-owned, however never leaving the store).

Also, I don't get the random serial thing too well. I get it is the latest serial number, and I get that it can help a watch to retain its value, by possibly negating the entire conversation we just had above... However, why would someone refer to a random serial number as a 'V' ... this confuses me. Sorry if i am coming off as a little thick here, just need some clarification.

Old 14 November 2012, 02:01 AM   #13
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Sharp View Post
Sorry if I am being a little slow on the uptake here... but could you explain this further?

are you saying that if you bought a rolex in 2007, 5 years ago, but never wore it, you can sell it legitimately as a 2012? I always assumed productions dates when I bought. From what I had thought I understood was that in this kind of scenario the watch would be considered 'new' old stock. At tourneau I have purchased new old stock at hefty discounts, sans warranty (labeled pre-owned, however never leaving the store).

Also, I don't get the random serial thing too well. I get it is the latest serial number, and I get that it can help a watch to retain its value, by possibly negating the entire conversation we just had above... However, why would someone refer to a random serial number as a 'V' ... this confuses me. Sorry if i am coming off as a little thick here, just need some clarification.
There is a slight difference between "new old stock" and new piece with "older" serial number.

new old stock is just that: it is a watch that has been sitting for months, but more frequently years, in case and is being "pushed out". These normally have some case wear already, odd dial, or simply unpopular model and AD's move them to make room for another piece. Thus the reason for common, deep discount.

Don't forget, the serial number (or the beginning of it), is not "officially" classified by Rolex as production year. First letter of serial numbers are used in pre-owned market to give an approximate year for the watch, if it doesn't have signed papers. This kind of became the "standard" and people don't even look at signed date, most of the time.

I have worked for an AD for many years and it was very common, especially for gold pieces, to come in BRAND NEW from Rolex with "older" serial numbers. For example, I clearly remember receiving a gold Yacht-Master for stock in 2004 with K serial number. So, it is entirely possible to have a brand new gold Daytona with V serial number.

Also, the way the seller interprets "BNIB" can be different from an actual AD. Don't forget, EliteTime is NOT an AD, but rather a gray market dealer. They are selling a watch, with unsigned papers and plastic attached, so, yes, you are theoretically getting a new, never worn watch and can fill out the warranty card to have the factory warranty (don't forget, Rolex warranty is non-transferable once filled out)

To answer you question about someone saying "The V serial can be random":

The random serial is just that, random. Therefore, it can actually start with a V, or any other letter. The way you would differentiate is by looking at the number of left over characters. An actual "V" serial from 2008 would be followed by 6 numbers, a random serial that happens to start with V would be followed by 7 characters (all numbers or combination of numbers and letters).

Hope this helps!
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2012, 06:55 AM   #14
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
YG and looks good to me. some pics look like SS or WG.
Old 14 November 2012, 12:30 PM   #15
jatco

..If all, as was said by 'krlyuzh' is to be true.. than what's the point of serializing pieces??
If 'old new old stock' has some 'case wear' or 'odd dial'.., how is that 'new' , yet old? Dont' get that..??
From all the info posted on these forums..Serial #'s = Production years. -- Or not? - Perhaps this is different for different models..
Came upon a V-Serial Rolex Sub 2010 Model. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...sRkKpTg0FE7vlg
So perhaps the info is 'model specific..?!?

Old 14 November 2012, 03:38 PM   #16
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlyuzh View Post
There is a slight difference between "new old stock" and new piece with "older" serial number.

new old stock is just that: it is a watch that has been sitting for months, but more frequently years, in case and is being "pushed out". These normally have some case wear already, odd dial, or simply unpopular model and AD's move them to make room for another piece. Thus the reason for common, deep discount.

Don't forget, the serial number (or the beginning of it), is not "officially" classified by Rolex as production year. First letter of serial numbers are used in pre-owned market to give an approximate year for the watch, if it doesn't have signed papers. This kind of became the "standard" and people don't even look at signed date, most of the time.

I have worked for an AD for many years and it was very common, especially for gold pieces, to come in BRAND NEW from Rolex with "older" serial numbers. For example, I clearly remember receiving a gold Yacht-Master for stock in 2004 with K serial number. So, it is entirely possible to have a brand new gold Daytona with V serial number.

Also, the way the seller interprets "BNIB" can be different from an actual AD. Don't forget, EliteTime is NOT an AD, but rather a gray market dealer. They are selling a watch, with unsigned papers and plastic attached, so, yes, you are theoretically getting a new, never worn watch and can fill out the warranty card to have the factory warranty (don't forget, Rolex warranty is non-transferable once filled out)

To answer you question about someone saying "The V serial can be random":

The random serial is just that, random. Therefore, it can actually start with a V, or any other letter. The way you would differentiate is by looking at the number of left over characters. An actual "V" serial from 2008 would be followed by 6 numbers, a random serial that happens to start with V would be followed by 7 characters (all numbers or combination of numbers and letters).

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that was very informative, and certainly clarifies a lot. Just to comment on the v serial point again, I think it's odd however, even if your serial number starts with a v, to refer to it as a v, if it is a random serial # or visa versa, if that makes any sense?

Thanks again, great information!

Old 14 November 2012, 03:40 PM   #17
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
..If all, as was said by 'krlyuzh' is to be true.. than what's the point of serializing pieces??
If 'old new old stock' has some 'case wear' or 'odd dial'.., how is that 'new' , yet old? Dont' get that..??
From all the info posted on these forums..Serial #'s = Production years. -- Or not? - Perhaps this is different for different models..
Came upon a V-Serial Rolex Sub 2010 Model. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...sRkKpTg0FE7vlg
So perhaps the info is 'model specific..?!?

Well since I am confused here too, I might not be the right authority to respond to this, but from what I understand serial numbers are not model specific, and do - whether out spokenly or not, represent production year.