The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2009, 08:42 PM   #1
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Why doesn't Rolex do things like this?

I know this involves discussing another brand (I throw myself at the mercy of the mods!), but after attending the Breitling B01 unveiling here in Atlanta (awesome, see link for pics) last night I was left wondering why others (Rolex?) don't treat their customers similarly? Surely I'm not the only one here that has been to one of these events....

Maybe it's because they just don't have to...has Rolex and others become that aloof and distant? I was really impressed with how well we were treated and really enjoyed the gesture that was made by the evening.

Have on one of my "other" watches today!

Hope you enjoy the pics and discussion.

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
BEcause, even without events like those you've just described, Rolex still manages to out-sell their competitors.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2009, 06:43 PM   #3
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Perhaps, but they're definately losing sales by not seeming to care about their customers.

I'm rating Breitling above Rolex now. They have a longer history and the quality of the cases and bracelets is better along with a new in-house movement.

For the time being Rolex has the brand but I wonder just how long that will continue.
Old 29 June 2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Rolex ?

I believe Rolex is so narcissistic, so arrogant, so we are Rolex, Rolex as a company could care less about me or anyone on this forum as individual customers. The proof is in the lack of action on Rolex the companies part to say thanks or the poor customer service one gets when one calls a Rolex service center for answers for questions about service procedure.

I have bought over 15 Rolex watches (all were new and bought from ADs)since 1989 (yes this is small to some here who have better Rolex collections than I will ever have, but I feel 15 Rolex watch purchases does make me a fairly good customer/Rolex supporter). If I bought fifteen luxury items from anyone’s business here on the forum I might at least get a thank you note or lunch.

Until recently I went out of my way to promote Rolex. I am aware of at least 10 friends, family members, and co-workers who have asked me about Rolex and have bought Rolex products. I can hear you now so what big deal.

I have bought only 3 Breitlings , two of which were entry level watches. I was given a box of Swiss chocolates each year in December as a we are thinking of you thanks gift. I was given two Breitling ball caps and recently with my third watch a nice Swiss army pocket knife. I was sent a letter of thanks as well. Where is this thanks from Rolex? For a Rolex which costs me over $3,000 more to buy? Come on Rolex send even a photocopy it would cost you very little. Even throw in a new catalog to get me to buy another.

It's the small things like the candy or the Breitling hats which make you feel good as a customer. Did I pay for the hat and candy in the price of my Breitling? Yes This small act leads me to believe Breitling is grateful which in turn makes me feel grateful to Breitling.

The only thing Rolex has ever given me are endless restrictions on product replacements (dials, bands, bezels,)now I must send in my entire watch to buy a new bracelet and bezel, endless price hikes,

You tell me proof is in actions not words Rolex gets a D- in my book for customer appreciation, service, and attitude.

Rolex I bought a third Breitling due to your greed, additional product restrictions, and the rude lady at the NY RSC. I am thinking twice about ever buying another Rolex.
Old 29 June 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Desperado
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Platinum
I am not defending Rolex especially when it comes to bad customer service. but i still believe that Rolex as a brand is still the best (in terms of resale value) because of the arrogange with their distributors and customers. however, i think this cant last forever!
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2009, 02:49 AM   #6
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Great discussion...

Thanks for chiming in on this topic...some very good points: ROLEX, are you listening?

...Sadly, the answer is no.

As I stated in my original post with the link/pics, Rolex and Omega never made any kind gestures toward me as a customer EVEN when economic times were good. Breitling has always impressed me with their kind tokens that others have mentioned (I have received: chocolates, 2 Breitling hats, a lighter, golf shirt, and now a pen! They even skipped the chocolates in 2001 and made a donation to the 9/11 fund if memory serves...). The fact that Breitling made such a bold gesture with the launch of the B01 impresses me even more. I'm sure part of the logic is to try and grab more market share...

...And it works. I almost walked out of the event with a new Breitling. The last few days I have been wearing my Breitlings. I've been looking a lot more at Breitling for my next watch purchase as a result of this event and feeling valued as a customer.

And lastly, it was SO nice in this current economy to have Breitling throw us an evening where we could forget about our troubles and just enjoy everything that is good about life and indulge our passion for watches.

Sigh, too bad for Rolex they don't seem interested.

I would say that we're not really holding their feet to the fire here either, as this post was originally in the main discussion forum but was moved over here by the mods in a nano-second since it contains the B word.

"If Rolex doesn't take care of their customers, somebody else will!"

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Old 30 June 2009, 03:50 AM   #7
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
VC is my personal favorite for all facets of customer service. Of course, all I really need is for the watch to work when I get it and keep working. It certainly is nice though to be sent gifts periodically and get invited to special events. Of course, I understand precisely what they are doing and why -- but I still appreciate being appreciated.

One of the reasons I wear a VC OS and not a Daytona is this type of service. Not that I think badly of a Daytona, but how many bracelet sport chronos does one need in a world full of other style watches to acquire?
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2009, 03:55 AM   #8
cowincanada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
i think its part of their marketing strategy. They want the watch to be bigger, than the people who buy them. If they went out of their way, bend over backwards for their customers, in weird way, they'd also lose some who like the snobbish appeal.

but then again, it could also be because people would still buy rolex despite the crappy customer service.
cowincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2009, 04:03 AM   #9
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayecarumba View Post
Thanks for chiming in on this topic...some very good points: ROLEX, are you listening?

...Sadly, the answer is no.

As I stated in my original post with the link/pics, Rolex and Omega never made any kind gestures toward me as a customer EVEN when economic times were good. Breitling has always impressed me with their kind tokens that others have mentioned (I have received: chocolates, 2 Breitling hats, a lighter, golf shirt, and now a pen! They even skipped the chocolates in 2001 and made a donation to the 9/11 fund if memory serves...). The fact that Breitling made such a bold gesture with the launch of the B01 impresses me even more. I'm sure part of the logic is to try and grab more market share...

...And it works. I almost walked out of the event with a new Breitling. The last few days I have been wearing my Breitlings. I've been looking a lot more at Breitling for my next watch purchase as a result of this event and feeling valued as a customer.

And lastly, it was SO nice in this current economy to have Breitling throw us an evening where we could forget about our troubles and just enjoy everything that is good about life and indulge our passion for watches.

Sigh, too bad for Rolex they don't seem interested.

I would say that we're not really holding their feet to the fire here either, as this post was originally in the main discussion forum but was moved over here by the mods in a nano-second since it contains the B word.

"If Rolex doesn't take care of their customers, somebody else will!"

--Paul
First, their customers have to care. And most don't. They don't buy Rolex because they're coddled by the company, and their desire to wear a Rolex is not going to be hampered in the least because they're not receiving freebies from Rolex.

I get your point, but Rolex is Rolex. They've done what they needed to do to become the largest high-end watch company in the world. It would be nice for them to reach out and kiss their customers, but their brand value is hardly compromised when they don't.
Old 30 June 2009, 02:06 PM   #10
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
First, their customers have to care. And most don't. They don't buy Rolex because they're coddled by the company, and their desire to wear a Rolex is not going to be hampered in the least because they're not receiving freebies from Rolex.

I get your point, but Rolex is Rolex. They've done what they needed to do to become the largest high-end watch company in the world. It would be nice for them to reach out and kiss their customers, but their brand value is hardly compromised when they don't.
Oh, the truth hurts Howard!

I know, I know...but can't I dream of a better WIS world?!

--Paul

Old 30 June 2009, 11:55 PM   #11
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayecarumba View Post
Oh, the truth hurts Howard!

I know, I know...but can't I dream of a better WIS world?!

--Paul
Paul, I'm right there with you.

I'd love for Rolex to kiss my tushy on occasion, but they would be throwing money down the drain, because I'll buy them anyways.

On the other hand, it's nice to know that some of the other companies are available for that extra touch.