The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 August 2020, 06:18 PM   #31
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Since we’re discussing semantics, I’ll offer my personal opinion.

Based on what OP is sharing, I would say that the salesperson made a poor attempt at trying to give OP hope. But this person probably has poor sales skills and didn’t realize that the wording actually sounds like you’re teasing the customer. Imagine if you walk in an AD and ask for any reference, in this case let’s say a Daytona since it’s one of the most desired pieces on the planet. So imagine how you would feel if upon asking if they have one, they reply with “funny you should ask, we just got one earlier today”. What in the hell are you supposed to feel other than that you scored one?

And in my opinion OP did not “malign” the AD or attack their reputation. Just sharing a story.

And from what I was told by the manager at an Omega Boutique, the 50th was never sold out. At one point, all of the allocations were sold out, but not all 6969 pieces. So from what I’m being told there are more available now, and it’s not because of mass cancellations. I was told by my OB that they are confident they can get me one within a couple of weeks if I leave a refundable deposit. Without a deposit they can request one but any OB that secured a deposit will have the right of first refusal.

Hang in there OP, I hope you get yours soon.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:02 AM   #32
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post

Based on what OP is sharing, I would say that the salesperson made a poor attempt at trying to give OP hope. But this person probably has poor sales skills and didn’t realize that the wording actually sounds like you’re teasing the customer. Imagine if you walk in an AD and ask for any reference, in this case let’s say a Daytona since it’s one of the most desired pieces on the planet. So imagine how you would feel if upon asking if they have one, they reply with “funny you should ask, we just got one earlier today”. What in the hell are you supposed to feel other than that you scored one?

And in my opinion OP did not “malign” the AD or attack their reputation. Just sharing a story.

And from what I was told by the manager at an Omega Boutique, the 50th was never sold out. At one point, all of the allocations were sold out, but not all 6969 pieces. So from what I’m being told there are more available now, and it’s not because of mass cancellations. I was told by my OB that they are confident they can get me one within a couple of weeks if I leave a refundable deposit. Without a deposit they can request one but any OB that secured a deposit will have the right of first refusal.

Well said. Isn’t this the same watch that was all of the sudden available again on Omega’s website not so long ago? I still doubt that everyone has sold out.
jnelson3097 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:30 AM   #33
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Well said. Isn’t this the same watch that was all of the sudden available again on Omega’s website not so long ago? I still doubt that everyone has sold out.
Probably a few uncollected/unwanted orders due to Covid.

There are probably a few about if you look/ask but I doubt these are freely available. That said, if you are persistent enough I suspect you’d find one.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:28 AM   #34
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Probably a few uncollected/unwanted orders due to Covid.

There are probably a few about if you look/ask but I doubt these are freely available. That said, if you are persistent enough I suspect you’d find one.
Thanks for the input gents.

I've called nearly AD in the US and have gotten on a few lists - as of today, there aren't any freely available.

I've also now included the Tokyo 2020 panda as a possible addition and I hope to make a decision within the next couple weeks, grey or otherwise.
Old 3 August 2020, 04:50 AM   #35
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Thanks for the input gents.

I've called nearly AD in the US and have gotten on a few lists - as of today, there aren't any freely available.

I've also now included the Tokyo 2020 panda as a possible addition and I hope to make a decision within the next couple weeks, grey or otherwise.

Yup, definitely not freely available but I’m being told by my OB that they’re pretty sure they can get you one within a couple of weeks with a refundable deposit. Let me know if you want to open up talks, I’d be happy to make the introduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:01 AM   #36
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
All I can say is...welcome to the last three years. it's the state of mechanical watch buying today ESPECIALLY on any watch with the word "special", "limited" or when it comes to Omega, the word "anniversary"....forget walking in and buying.
You might have beat the cue at Disney World but this cue is unaffected by any virus, it is only affected by deeeeeep pockets, waiting and luck.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:06 AM   #37
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
All I can say is...welcome to the last three years. it's the state of mechanical watch buying today ESPECIALLY on any watch with the word "special", "limited" or when it comes to Omega, the word "anniversary"....forget walking in and buying.
You might have beat the cue at Disney World but this cue is unaffected by any virus, it is only affected by deeeeeep pockets, waiting and luck.
Visiting Jackson Hole (1 AD there) and Vegas over the next couple of weeks; we'll see if anything pops up there...or maybe something else will catch my wandering eyes at the boutiques.
Old 3 August 2020, 09:01 PM   #38
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Sucks to hear this OP. I’ve only dealt with Rob at Topper and he was the absolute best. I bought the new SMP from him and he was extremely professional. He’s even a watch enthusiast as well and we had a nice discussion.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 09:22 PM   #39
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Sucks to hear this OP. I’ve only dealt with Rob at Topper and he was the absolute best. I bought the new SMP from him and he was extremely professional. He’s even a watch enthusiast as well and we had a nice discussion.
I've heard good things about Rob; I did not speak directly with him but a female sales rep.

This post was never meant to be a roast on the business itself, but a comment on an interaction that I had with their associate.

I think the one member here took it the wrong way and ran away with it, though I did nothing to drag the Topper name through the mud. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the business that I phoned, but I believe in full discretion and anytime we can share our thoughts / feelings / interactions with the forum about a certain AD, it only helps everyone else.

Just take a look at this thread itself - so many people have vouched for Rob and Topper that it just shows what a solid business they run and that my experience might have been an outlier.
Old 3 August 2020, 09:50 PM   #40
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I don't know Rob and don't know Topper, I'm sure they are good guys. However if the OP felt he was treated poorly he was treated poorly, customer service 101. Especially based on the OP's list of watches and history on TRF. I trust he knows his way around an AD and how to handle a watch transaction. I doubt this is his first time interacting with an AD.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:20 PM   #41
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Crazy post, crazy thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:30 PM   #42
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I don't know Rob and don't know Topper, I'm sure they are good guys. However if the OP felt he was treated poorly he was treated poorly, customer service 101. Especially based on the OP's list of watches and history on TRF. I trust he knows his way around an AD and how to handle a watch transaction. I doubt this is his first time interacting with an AD.
Appreciate the comment.
Old 3 August 2020, 10:40 PM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I hope you land one sooner than later JP.

I didn’t take your OP for anything other than what it was ... a shared experience with an AD.

Good luck and hope to see an incoming hear good news today
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:43 PM   #44
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I hope you land one sooner than later JP.

I didn’t take your OP for anything other than what it was ... a shared experience with an AD.

Good luck and hope to see an incoming hear good news today
Thanks Brian!

I've actually started to fall deep into the Speedmaster rabbit hole here, guys. Will still keep the eye out for the 50th, but now I'm also looking at the Tokyo 2020 panda dial.

Didn't know too much about the pandas (Mitsukoshi, Apollo 11 35th, Tokyo 2020) but in my recent research, I have realized that it might just have to join the collection.

Either way, the next watch will be one of these Speedmasters. The life of a WIS...
Old 3 August 2020, 11:04 PM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Thanks Brian!

I've actually started to fall deep into the Speedmaster rabbit hole here, guys. Will still keep the eye out for the 50th, but now I'm also looking at the Tokyo 2020 panda dial.

Didn't know too much about the pandas (Mitsukoshi, Apollo 11 35th, Tokyo 2020) but in my recent research, I have realized that it might just have to join the collection.

Either way, the next watch will be one of these Speedmasters. The life of a WIS...
Either would be a great addition to your collection.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:05 PM   #46
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBay View Post
Hi friends :) Let's take a deep breath here. First, these watches were sold out LONG AGO. What happened - and this is corroborated simply by looking at both Omegawatches.com and doing some googling - is that post COVID, some stores couldn't take delivery of the final production of the watches and these were made available, along with cancelled orders, to top tier boutiques and Omega boutiques. So, first it's totally likely that places like Topper, Feldmar, etc... that are top tiers West Coast boutiques would receive one or two. Second, it's also stupendously likely that as soon as these came in these stores would consult a list of people who have expressed interest in the watch and tell them they have one. How do I know that's true? Because that happened to me! I'm the guy who got the watch that the OP is frustrated about. How did I get it? I told Rob if they other got one, to call me. And they did, months later. When they had one to sell. So, yes, interest lists are real. Fourth: sounds like you misunderstood them when you called. "I just received one" means just that - it doesn't mean they just got one in that's available. If you didn't understand, just ask for clarity, don't come on here and start flaming before giving them the benefit of the doubt. Finally, I think it's really lame that you're attacking a store for trying to do right by you. This is hardly surprising that a watch, in demand, would have a list of people waiting to get it. Just because you want it doesn't mean you get it, this is the frustration and the fun of our hobby - half of it is the hunt. So while I am very sorry that you're frustrated, I think it's a bit obnoxious and just a tad entitled to attack a store's pristine reputation just because they were literally unable to do what you asked of them in that exact moment, especially since it doesn't sound like you made any effort at all to clarify what they told you.
Quote:
Look man, I'm on my high horse because you decided to come on here and publicly malign one of the best, most honest and straight up dealers out there just because the exact structure of a sentence appears to not have met your stringent by-phone communications standards. The fact that Topper is fair, honest and kind isn't just my opinion, either. Look at their reviews for years, these guys are gold.

They did nothing to you. Did Topper take your money and not deliver? no. Did they treat you disrespectfully? You seem to think so, but it sure sounds like that's splitting a pretty thin hair, and that's one hell of a benefit of the doubt I'm giving there. Did they make a promise and not deliver? Did they keep you waiting a terribly long time beyond what was promised? Did they force a bundle or anything like that? No, no and no. Did they tell you that one had come in to demonstrate that you had a shot at one and offer to call you if they get another of the reference you want? Yep. For shame!

So yeah, I'm standing by what I wrote. Hope you find the watch you want and in future, before you come on here and get on your high horse, put yourself in the business' shoes before responding.
You must work for Topper

I agree 100% with the OP the phone interaction was terrible on the Sales persons part.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:13 PM   #47
marcusgrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbysplace View Post
OP it doesn’t sound like they were trying to get your hopes up. Quite the opposite. It sounds like they were trying to give you hope! As in, another one could come in at any time, and if so it would have your name on it. Fact is this is a hot watch - surprising for an Omega LE, I know - and they’re not readily available at ADs. Of course, you can always buy from a trusted seller if you’d rather not wait.

Quote:
Look man, I'm on my high horse because you decided to come on here and publicly malign one of the best, most honest and straight up dealers out there just because the exact structure of a sentence appears to not have met your stringent by-phone communications standards. The fact that Topper is fair, honest and kind isn't just my opinion, either. Look at their reviews for years, these guys are gold.

They did nothing to you. Did Topper take your money and not deliver? no. Did they treat you disrespectfully? You seem to think so, but it sure sounds like that's splitting a pretty thin hair, and that's one hell of a benefit of the doubt I'm giving there. Did they make a promise and not deliver? Did they keep you waiting a terribly long time beyond what was promised? Did they force a bundle or anything like that? No, no and no. Did they tell you that one had come in to demonstrate that you had a shot at one and offer to call you if they get another of the reference you want? Yep. For shame!

So yeah, I'm standing by what I wrote. Hope you find the watch you want and in future, before you come on here and get on your high horse, put yourself in the business' shoes before responding.
Agreed. I don't see the big deal here. Topper did not disrespect the OP, or mislead him; OP sounds very sensitive about the whole interaction. If you want the timepiece so badly, go grey; but if you don't want to pay the grey premium, get the on the waitlist. You cant jump the line; other customers were there first.

How is this news? You have a long list of watches, surely you have known this.

Now, the real issue is going on a public forum and bashing a reputable company for following fair and open business.
marcusgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:33 PM   #48
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusgrr View Post
Agreed. I don't see the big deal here. Topper did not disrespect the OP, or mislead him; OP sounds very sensitive about the whole interaction. If you want the timepiece so badly, go grey; but if you don't want to pay the grey premium, get the on the waitlist. You cant jump the line; other customers were there first.

How is this news? You have a long list of watches, surely you have known this.

Now, the real issue is going on a public forum and bashing a reputable company for following fair and open business.
Bashing? Read the first post again and tell me that it's "bashing".

For those that understand where I'm coming from, thank you.

For those that don't, you're entitled to your opinion. Seems to me it's mostly those that have dealt with Topper in the past and feel that I have hurt them in some way. Oh well.
Old 3 August 2020, 11:34 PM   #49
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
You must work for Topper

I agree 100% with the OP the phone interaction was terrible on the Sales persons part.
Appreciate that
Old 3 August 2020, 11:40 PM   #50
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ
"TRF" Member

OP I honestly cannot wait to see you post this on your wrist on your next Disney trip or wherever you may visit with the kids and wife!!!

I'm certain that post will come sooner or later!?!?

Good luck in your search!!
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:41 PM   #51
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyHubbyW/aDJ View Post
OP I honestly cannot wait to see you post this on your wrist on your next Disney trip or wherever you may visit with the kids and wife!!!

I'm certain that post will come sooner or later!?!?

Good luck in your search!!
Haha, thanks!

If it happens in Jackson Hole this weekend or Vegas the next, it might come sooner than later.
Old 4 August 2020, 12:05 AM   #52
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha, thanks!

If it happens in Jackson Hole this weekend or Vegas the next, it might come sooner than later.
Even better!!!

Wearing it at either spots would be a nice blessing to see!! I'll keep my eye on that post in the coming weeks!!
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ is offline   Reply With Quote