The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 December 2021, 06:44 PM   #121
teager
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233,IwcBP,D-blu
They are getting plenty of stock, as per normal. It’s the high demand that is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafaiete View Post
Has anyone purchased an in demand Rolex from Goldsmiths or WoS lately.

Whenever I speak to the sales assistants, I keep getting told that they are getting hardly any stock from Rolex.
teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 07:09 PM   #122
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by teager View Post
You’ve hit the nail right on the head, this Is so so true. I’ll never step into anyone of their stores ever again.
No issue with Goldsmiths or any of the WoS group shops, the ones I have dealt with have been brilliant.

The issue is that people expect to wander in off the street, go to the SA who is behind the Rolex desk and ask for the same style/model of watch that just about everyone else is after, then the SA goes out back and returns with the watch. It’s as though there is this magic box out back which has an unlimited supply of these highly sought after watches. Yet it is complete rubbish.

I have no doubt that there is a watch or two hidden out back away from public view, but it’s not for you or me, it’s for Mr or Mrs VIP who have spent many many tens of thousands on watches and jewellery at the store, they spend money in the store on a regular basis and are well know to staff as a result.

You have to remember that these stores have power and at the moment they are getting every possible penny out of what they can sell, and why not. After all it wasn’t that many years ago that they were having to give discounts to sell a luxury watch, now the AD holds the cards and if we want what they have we play by their rules.

Oh, an Independent is unlikely to be any different, I just asked at my independent Patek dealer for an Aquanaut and got told very politely that in order to qualify for one of these very sought after watches, I need buying history at the store but if I bought a 5227 or equivalent then I could be added to the list for the Aquanaut, they get one or two a year and it’s a long list, but if I added something for my wife, well you get the picture.

By all means stop frequenting WoS stores, it will be your loss as there will be another potential buyer taking your place who will be willing to play the AD’s game. This is how the majority of us will get our Rolex watches, by playing the game, if we don’t want to go grey, and I don’t.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:07 PM   #123
lukeevo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Whenever I speak to the sales assistants, I keep getting told that they are getting hardly any stock from Rolex.
Got the call for a DJ41 Steel and white gold with the black dial. A couple weeks ago. Took 2 months from when I walked in to speak to the Sale Assistant.

They did say they had seen a few more come through as usual but didn't have any for a while.
lukeevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:10 PM   #124
dal1234
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,VC,SUB,GMT,PAN
Quote:
Really! Do you have a big purchase history?
TT daytona, pepsi oyster, datejust 36mm for wife
dal1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:27 PM   #125
teager
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Oxfordian; Oh, an Independent is unlikely to be any different....[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ.

After my visit to Goldsmiths ( i have some history ) i was apparently "put on the list". I got the feeling this was bull at the time, even more so as i was encouraged to buy some jewellery as i was on the way out.
Yes i get they are sales people trying to sell stuff etc but have heard zero since. 2 years ago......

Also tried an independent AD ( again i have history ) and even the experience of getting on the list was 100% more pleasurable.
8 months later i get my James Cameron Deepsea 126660.
I couldn't be happier, with the watch and the AD.
Old 20 December 2021, 11:39 PM   #126
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine man View Post
Tell the AD to poke it,and buy another make! These people have no right to treat customers like they do,and they get away with it because people are daft enough to comply with them, M&W wouldn't put me on the waiting list for two pieces last year,even with a purchase history from the same shop!
Told them to do one and spent my money elsewhere,Martins in Cheltenham, good honest family firm worth the 6 hour round trip.
As other people have written if you want to buy now go to a dealer.Good luck.
Similar experience with "M&W" in Regents Street, even if I had prior purchase history with that very store. Ironically went to a different WoS more local to me and they have been more helpful. I think certain stores in certain areas, regardless being of the same WoS group, are just a bunch of snobs with bad management and customer service skills.
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 12:00 AM   #127
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I beg to differ.

After my visit to Goldsmiths ( i have some history ) i was apparently "put on the list". I got the feeling this was bull at the time, even more so as i was encouraged to buy some jewellery as i was on the way out.
Yes i get they are sales people trying to sell stuff etc but have heard zero since. 2 years ago......

Also tried an independent AD ( again i have history ) and even the experience of getting on the list was 100% more pleasurable.
8 months later i get my James Cameron Deepsea 126660.
I couldn't be happier, with the watch and the AD.
So you had history with the independent AD, would the outcome have been the same if you didn't have any history at the independent AD?

Thats the point i'm making if you want the goods the AD has then you have to buy the goods the AD wants you to buy. The AD's whether independent, small group or large group hold the cards.

If I walked into your independent AD and asked for a Rolex sports model I would get told their process for selling me the watch, and it wouldn't be here you are sir, it would be along the lines of;

'we would be happy to sell you that watch but these are hard to get timepieces and at the moment we are focusing sales on customers who have bought from us previously.'

'I am happy to take your details and once we have fulfilled all our orders you can have the next watch that becomes available, however that will be a while as there is a lot of interest in that watch. is there anything that you would like to buy whilst you are in store sir?'

My history is with a WoS store in Kent, if I try my local Rolex dealer (Independent) near to where I now live for a new Sub Date what do you think that they will say?

Old 21 December 2021, 12:28 AM   #128
teager
"TRF" Member

You're not listening are you?!

I have history with BOTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
So you had history with the independent AD, would the outcome have been the same if you didn't have any history at the independent AD?

Thats the point i'm making if you want the goods the AD has then you have to buy the goods the AD wants you to buy. The AD's whether independent, small group or large group hold the cards.

If I walked into your independent AD and asked for a Rolex sports model I would get told their process for selling me the watch, and it wouldn't be here you are sir, it would be along the lines of;

'we would be happy to sell you that watch but these are hard to get timepieces and at the moment we are focusing sales on customers who have bought from us previously.'

'I am happy to take your details and once we have fulfilled all our orders you can have the next watch that becomes available, however that will be a while as there is a lot of interest in that watch. is there anything that you would like to buy whilst you are in store sir?'

My history is with a WoS store in Kent, if I try my local Rolex dealer (Independent) near to where I now live for a new Sub Date what do you think that they will say?

Old 21 December 2021, 12:47 AM   #129
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Update to this thread that I started, as some of you may have seen from my recent incoming.

I got absolutely nowhere with Goldsmiths. Regardless of amount of times visited etc. It got to the point that it was embarrassing. I am quite well regarded in my job etc as a senior doctor and having to grovel to these 20 year old sales assistants to just consider putting me on a wait list was just not my cup of tea- and I can definitely see why people go grey, just to be able to avoid these type of interactions.

I went to a different AD around 100miles from my house- not independent but not a WoS type big chain. The difference in the way I was treated was incredible. I had a genuine interaction with a SA who was interested, seemed to actually care and wanted to chat.
I walked out with a Milgauss on my wrist. I never had any purchase history with this AD.

I think if you have a great relationship with WoS that pre-dates this craziness, then it is fine for you- but anything newer is very different.
It feels like some of the young SA have been put into a position of power that some of them are letting go to their heads.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 12:50 AM   #130
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
Update to this thread that I started, as some of you may have seen from my recent incoming.

I got absolutely nowhere with Goldsmiths. Regardless of amount of times visited etc. It got to the point that it was embarrassing. I am quite well regarded in my job etc as a senior doctor and having to grovel to these 20 year old sales assistants to just consider putting me on a wait list was just not my cup of tea- and I can definitely see why people go grey, just to be able to avoid these type of interactions.

I went to a different AD around 100miles from my house- not independent but not a WoS type big chain. The difference in the way I was treated was incredible. I had a genuine interaction with a SA who was interested, seemed to actually care and wanted to chat.
I walked out with a Milgauss on my wrist. I never had any purchase history with this AD.

I think if you have a great relationship with WoS that pre-dates this craziness, then it is fine for you- but anything newer is very different.
It feels like some of the young SA have been put into a position of power that some of them are letting go to their heads.
Really happy to hear that you got the Milgauss by going to another AD that treated you well. Make sure you walk into the previous AD and show them that you got the piece from elsewhere with no politics or suck-up games!
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 02:23 AM   #131
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're not listening are you?!

I have history with BOTH

Yes, I am listening, my point is that irrespective of where you choose to shop, irrespective of whether your AD is small medium or large, Independent or Multiple, if you don't have history you are going to struggle to get anything without creating a history.

How do you create history, by buying something, the more you buy the more doors you open.

AD's rule at the moment, and we the buyers are plentiful in supply so AD's can be picky who they sell to.

Old 21 December 2021, 03:10 AM   #132
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really happy that you can find the new AD. I feel the same as you as I am paying xxK for a watch and like I need to grovel or some sort, honestly I would rather go to grey.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 03:16 AM   #133
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:

Well done with the Milgauss, congratulations.

Fyi, i’ve got a purchase history with WOS group as far back as 2013 and that doesn’t even change much as there are so many others also in the same category.

incidentally i had a really good appointment with an AD who is part of the group not far from me. Im a little more optimistic for next year, but we’ll see what happens.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 04:15 AM   #134
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I am listening, my point is that irrespective of where you choose to shop, irrespective of whether your AD is small medium or large, Independent or Multiple, if you don't have history you are going to struggle to get anything without creating a history.

How do you create history, by buying something, the more you buy the more doors you open.

AD's rule at the moment, and we the buyers are plentiful in supply so AD's can be picky who they sell to.

Goldsmith's messed me around and wasted my time. They were awful. I went to an independent AD and the difference was like night and day. They got me what I wanted in a month. I had no purchase history with them. They were polite and friendly and straightforward.

I only wish I had read the WOS group online reviews before I allowed them to waste months and months of my time - when they had no intention of selling me a watch. Common courtesy is what I expect. If you have no intention of fulfilling someone's order, just tell them - fine, I'll try elsewhere.

I will not be purchasing from WOS Group - ever. Why would I? Not having a watch to sell me is fine, especially when demand is very high during a pandemic. But treating me like crap and wasting my time is not ok.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 04:57 AM   #135
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Goldsmith's messed me around and wasted my time. They were awful. I went to an independent AD and the difference was like night and day. They got me what I wanted in a month. I had no purchase history with them. They were polite and friendly and straightforward.

I only wish I had read the WOS group online reviews before I allowed them to waste months and months of my time - when they had no intention of selling me a watch. Common courtesy is what I expect. If you have no intention of fulfilling someone's order, just tell them - fine, I'll try elsewhere.

I will not be purchasing from WOS Group - ever. Why would I? Not having a watch to sell me is fine, especially when demand is very high during a pandemic. But treating me like crap and wasting my time is not ok.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 05:39 AM   #136
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
I think I have read somewhere on this forum recently that WoS group got record results in terms of revenue and net profit this last quarter, not too surprising when they use their almighty Patek and Rolex dealership as bait to unload high margins jewellery and slow moving watch brands. I think they even mentionned that their Rolex marketshare diminished as a result of their rapid revenue growth, which translated into their stock price almost tripling in price compared to last year at the same date.

So to make it short, WoS is killing it right now and there is no reason why they would change any of their selling practices as long as the frenzy for Rolex watches in the UK/US continues. A sad state of affairs as a customer to deal with a publicly traded company like WoS who has control over a product that is more in demand than its offering, unless you are part of the 1% of the 1%.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 05:48 AM   #137
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post

Life is strange, you have a bad experience with WoS whereas mine has been nothing but good.

I would happily use them again although with moving house I now have to build a new relationship with a new AD as a WoS shop is nowhere to be seen. But to be honest I am unsure if I can be bothered.

Old 21 December 2021, 07:45 AM   #138
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Life is strange, you have a bad experience with WoS whereas mine has been nothing but good.

I would happily use them again although with moving house I now have to build a new relationship with a new AD as a WoS shop is nowhere to be seen. But to be honest I am unsure if I can be bothered.

Let us know how the Aquanaut search goes…
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 08:44 AM   #139
Cheapside Genie
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes this year I received a WG Daytona OF, Rootbeer and Pepsi; I know I’ve been lucky. I have an ok purchase history, but not mind blowing. So I don’t really have an issue with WoS group. Being an AD is not easy; impossible to keep everyone happy. I think there was chat that there was more stock coming through in Q3, but demand has swallowed it all up.

I was in Harrods Rolex at the w/e and they had literally zero watches available for sale. Nada. All exhibition watches, even the 28mm DJs. Slightly comical.
♛ 226627 Titanium YM, 126518LN YG Daytona, 116500LN Daytona Black, 116519LN WG Daytona Silver/Black Dial, 126600 Mk 1 SD50, 126711CHNR GMT II, 126710BLRO GMT II Oyster bracelet, 124060 Submariner, 214270 Explorer I Mk 2, 126334 Datejust Mint Green Jubilee
Cheapside Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 08:49 AM   #140
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
Let us know how the Aquanaut search goes…
I will if I bother to chase one down, at the moment I am not convinced that adding any watch to my small collection is worth the effort.

A Patek would be epic two would be beyond that, but I just don’t know if I want to make the effort.

I’ll see in April / May 2022 how I feel and then decide what I am going to do.