The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: What should I do next
Pay Heuer for full service repair 6 42.86%
Ask local shop to repair 6 42.86%
Sell it as-is online 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 August 2021, 06:08 AM   #1
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Should I sell or repair broken Tag Heuer

I have a Tag Heuer 02 skeleton 43mm watch. It's a real pretty watch. But it never kept time very well. It was always running too fast, like 15 seconds a day fast, so finally I decided I can't stand it and went looking for a local watch repair shop to regulate it. Unfortunately the only one available was in a bad part of town, but I went there anyway. The first impression was not so great. A gun shot rang out and the owner didn't seem to be bothered, as if this happens all the time. Anyway it sounded like it was probably several blocks away, so he took my watch and put it in the machine and confirmed it was too fast. He adjusted it and handed it back to me. I went home and now I realize it's 30 seconds a day too slow. I let it run for 2 days and it was a full minute slower. So alright I went back one more time. No fuss this time around and he offered to fix it at no charge. I had to get an oil change for my car and he said it'll take 45 minutes because there were 3 customers waiting. So I left the watch with him and do my other choirs. I came back and the watch seems good. I went home and waited about 4 hours and it was 1 second fast. So I put it away and this morning went to check how fast it's gone after about 18 hours, and it wasn't running. So I went to wind the watch, and nothing. No matter how much I wind the watch it won't start. I put it in a winder and it still won't start. So now it's broken.

Okay so what are my options? To tell you the truth, i've been thinking about replacing this watch with something more accurate for a while now. But now that it's broken, I can't just sell it as if the watch is working and that'll put a huge dent on the resale price.

Option 1: Send it to Tag and pay whatever they ask, probably $500, just my estimate, and maybe a month or two.
Option 2: Bring it back to the same place and demand he fix it, knowing he probably isn't competent enough to do so and I'll probably come home none the better
Option 3: Sell it online, like chron24, and lower the price and clearly state it's not working and needs to be fixed.

I'm interested in your thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210803_130546.jpg (57.0 KB, 309 views)
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:58 AM   #2
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
If you enjoy wearing the watch take it to a reputable repair facility and have it repaired. There are plenty of places outside of Tag/Swatch Group that can properly repair this for you.
Old 5 August 2021, 09:20 AM   #3
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
If you enjoy wearing the watch take it to a reputable repair facility and have it repaired. There are plenty of places outside of Tag/Swatch Group that can properly repair this for you.
I agree. You have a lot of options in that area and it's a nice watch. I suspect it's poor time keeping has been a constant bother and now that it's not working at all is a bummer, but focus on how nice it would be to wear it working properly. I say this as an owner of the Cal 02 movement and it's an excellent time keeper.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 02:31 AM   #4
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I sent a Formula 1 to TAG for a repair a few years ago and they did an excellent job, for what its worth.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 04:58 AM   #5
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

I would send it for repair to TH, once returned see if you still wanna sell or enjoy wearing.
Good luck
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:21 PM   #6
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I mailed it to TH last week. I just got there Friday, so I expect an email from them early in the week. Yeah we'll see what happens.
Old 17 August 2021, 07:02 AM   #7
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

UPS confirmed they delivered it, but I called TH and said they are so backed up, they won't open the packages they receive until the end of the week!
Old 18 August 2021, 10:45 PM   #8
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If you can get over the OCD about a few seconds you may perhaps enjoy that one.
There are many very expensive watches that are not accurate at all.
If you do value accuracy that much check out Grand Seiko Spring Drive
Old 18 August 2021, 11:04 PM   #9
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchflair View Post
if you enjoy wearing the watch take it to a reputable repair facility and have it repaired. There are plenty of places outside of tag/swatch group that can properly repair this for you.
👍
robinmgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 03:17 AM   #10
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I just checked again. Tag Heuer still hasn't examine my watch or give me an estimate of cost or time to repair. =(
Old 31 August 2021, 04:40 AM   #11
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

As soon as I posted, I got an email from them. $485 yikes! oh well, it's better than having a dead watch.
Old 31 August 2021, 05:49 AM   #12
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I do like Tag despite the negative reaction they get nowadays. My first luxury watch was a Tag back in 2008, a TH Formula 1 to be exact. It was serviced in 2015 and it came back working well and fine. Service it and continue to enjoy it!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 10:29 PM   #13
Elotte
"TRF" Member

reputable watch repair shop (better pricing). if they are not accessible, send it to TH. It should be accurate after servicing / repair. To keep or flip can be decided thereafter. Selling as is will likely take a hit, but will be more convenient and can move on immediately.
Elotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 07:10 AM   #14
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

So my watch has been at their workshop for 10 days, so I called them to see how things are going. They tell me it usually takes 30 days to do a full service, so don't expect any update until probably end of October because it also needs to go through QA. OMG I didn't know it would be for such a long time!
Old 10 September 2021, 11:51 AM   #15
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
So my watch has been at their workshop for 10 days, so I called them to see how things are going. They tell me it usually takes 30 days to do a full service, so don't expect any update until probably end of October because it also needs to go through QA. OMG I didn't know it would be for such a long time!
Relax bro. I just recently sent a piece back to Omega for a warrantY repair that took 6 weeks round trip. Very normal.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 01:29 PM   #16
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The last watch I had serviced by a manufacturer took over a year to get right and was several times the price of your TAG Heuer so I'd advise you to be patient. I'd rather have something done right and take a long time than to be done wrong and quickly.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 01:50 PM   #17
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

A buddy of mine had this watch. I was shocked how much i liked it, it’s really good looking. I would fix it if the cost is reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 06:32 AM   #18
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I got the watch back. Everything looks good. But I'm just soured from the experience, so I'm selling it.

https://www.chrono24.com/watch/CLKBQ7