The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 October 2021, 08:09 AM   #31
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Somewhere out there is someone who longs to own a Rolex Submariner and has the fortitude to wear it and not be swayed by the keening of internet posters. Do the trade and allow that deserving individual to possess your Submariner and strap it on each day with a clear head, free of the ambivalence created by spending too much time online and not enough doing the things for which the Submariner was created.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 09:09 AM   #32
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
I think the biggest question is will TRF Admin let you change your handle to G shock king… and if its even available
LOL this was my first thought, too!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:49 PM   #33
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I want to switch from Rolex to G-Shock

A commodity is something useful and of high value. I never considered my Submariner to be a commodity, but I suppose it could be classified as such.

I’m always thinking about buying a G-Shock. You could get my favorite one for under $400.

Unless money is really an issue for you, keep the Submariner, buy the G-Shock.

I love G-Shocks but I’m not about to sell any of my watches to get one. They’re so cheap, there’s no reason to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:52 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The disconnect may be all in your mind…the current sky high value of your Sub could have a sublime role in suppressing your id.

The superego is fighting the Sub lustful id - just like that Seinfeld episode (but that fight was about while different lust).

Well enough of the uncertified psychoanalysis

The prime reason to fight that urge is you’ll have to change your TRF handle to “Shock King”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:16 PM   #35
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I enjoy G-Shocks and have a bag full of them that I have bought and worn over the years. Owning a Submariner and a G-Shock is not exclusive of one another. Go buy a G-Shock or two, wear it and enjoy. Also, wear your Submariner as it is a classic from whatever generation model you have. All of the noise will subside at some point and you will not regret having kept your Submariner.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:31 PM   #36
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
I'm a one watch guy thinking about selling my Submariner and switching to a nice G-Shock.

I like tool watches, sports watches. And to me the Sub was always the pinnacle of that.

It always had a reputation for being expensive and prestigious, but the underlying ideal still seemed to be that it's a damn good watch with a classic, beautiful design.

But now it seems like Rolex is truly seen as a commodity above all.

The discussions in my beloved watch forums have become less about the watches and more about money, hype and investment opportunities.

I'm starting to feel a disconnect...

Anyone else? Or am I nuts
couldn't agree more. But it doesn't need to influence your decision. Your watch will likely still serve it's tool purpose for you as it has.

Being that it's a sub you are kind of in the middle of two perspectives though.

On the one hand it could be nothing more than a tool watch. Serving it's purpose and no F#!*s given about it's condition. Bliss in a way.

On the other you have a watch you love on your wrist. Ideally because it has some sentimental value or represents an occasion in your life. But even if it's just because of how it makes you feel, being a Rolex or what not. But with that usually comes the baggage of worrying about losing/damaging it, or worse, getting robbed.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 01:08 AM   #37
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I get the appeal of a Gshock and could totally add one, but to replace a Sub with a Gshock because strangers in a Rolex forum seem to be only interested in value? Sorry, I don't get it. I buy and wear Rolex watches because they're amazing, among other brands.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 11:45 PM   #38
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
Can’t go wrong with a G Shock

Al1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 03:22 AM   #39
dannyp
Banned

Or just give up on watch forums. Why let chatter there dictate how you feel about any particular watches?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 03:51 AM   #40
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Or just give up on watch forums. Why let chatter there dictate how you feel about any particular watches?

Now there’s a good point.

Not sure why anyone would want to sell a Sub because of what people say on a forum.

The other thing is that when it comes to hype, G-Shocks are almost in the same category as the Submariner. There isn’t the investment component, that is true, but there’s definitely G-Shock hype all over the internet.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 05:34 AM   #41
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Put the Sub in desk drawer and the buy the G-Shock. If you don't miss the Sub after a month or two, then sell it.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 12:19 PM   #42
Greglaw
Banned

I hear you...the forum is not what it used to be...I can’t stand 99 percent of the posts in the general forum. I am sick of the same nonsense over and over...used to be cool watches...they have even invaded the vintage forum with nonsense...jerks trying to get credibility on crap watches...I get it. I still love watches but the prices are stupid, and I refuse to pay them. I am looking at other brands. Doubt I will go back to Rolex.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 12:20 PM   #43
Greglaw
Banned

And you are a stranger, too...so just another stranger’s opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I get the appeal of a Gshock and could totally add one, but to replace a Sub with a Gshock because strangers in a Rolex forum seem to be only interested in value? Sorry, I don't get it. I buy and wear Rolex watches because they're amazing, among other brands.
So OP should do what feels right.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:12 PM   #44
Andad

Watch: A few.
Don’t let outside influences govern your watch decisions.

Be your own man.

E.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 01:25 AM   #45
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I really appreciate and am enjoying reading all of your responses

I will not be selling/trading my Sub, nor will I swap identities to become Shock King But I may add a nice G or two; just not sure which one(s) yet...

I'll keep banging up my Sub though and spend less time getting annoyed by forum posts about $$$.

Gotta keep my focus more on the watches because that's what this passion has always been about for me

I guess it's just a matter of processing the sadness of seeing my favourite hobby (sickness? lol) seemingly become more and more akin to stock trading.

E.g., in every "what should I buy?" post, the overwhelming majority of replies are predictably "Buy the most hyped/valuable one".

But again, I'm being overly affected by others' viewpoints. And like many of you said - it is foolish of me to let that diminish my wristwatch enjoyment
Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 07:33 AM   #46
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Good to hear. Besides I see Edward Teach as more of a Rolex guy.
Old 27 October 2021, 10:09 PM   #47
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
But I may add a nice G or two; just not sure which one(s) yet...
Let me help you :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211026_132532.jpg (192.5 KB, 140 views)
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 12:53 AM   #48
stateman
"TRF" Member

Just put in my request for the new 5000TVA in titanium...kind of a silly price, but that's par for the course these days.
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:30 AM   #49
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateman View Post
Just put in my request for the new 5000TVA in titanium...kind of a silly price, but that's par for the course these days.
Metal square is awesome. I got the purple one recently and love it.

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 10:14 AM   #50
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Like others have said, keep the Sub -- it will always be the quintessential automatic dive watch, regardless of financial speculation and hype. Add a G-Shock of your choice. MR-Gs a certainly beasts, but so are the affordable G-Shocks as well. That's the beauty of G-Shock...the entire range as tool-tough. Get a MR-G if it sings to you; if not, there's bound to be something that you'll like. Best wishes.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 10:33 PM   #51
sophiadavid
"TRF" Member

Good decision!
sophiadavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:15 AM   #52
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have 5 Rolex, 2 Breitling, a Cartier......and this beauty

IMG_4829.jpeg
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:19 AM   #53
stateman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Metal square is awesome. I got the purple one recently and love it.

Looks great. I’ve had resin gshocks for so long that I’m really curious what the all metal will feel like on the wrist. Can I ask what size wrist you have and how the bracelet fits? The only hesitation so far for me is how the end links and bracelet will conform to my 6.75ish wrist. Have only had the rubber straps in the past

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2021, 02:42 AM   #54
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
I'm a one watch guy thinking about selling my Submariner and switching to a nice G-Shock.

I like tool watches, sports watches. And to me the Sub was always the pinnacle of that.

It always had a reputation for being expensive and prestigious, but the underlying ideal still seemed to be that it's a damn good watch with a classic, beautiful design.

But now it seems like Rolex is truly seen as a commodity above all.

The discussions in my beloved watch forums have become less about the watches and more about money, hype and investment opportunities.

I'm starting to feel a disconnect...

Anyone else? Or am I nuts
If you're going to get G-Shocks, definitely get the new Armor B5000 (full titanium) before the prices go higher in the grey market. Cool piece. I got mine a few days ago. It was shipped in from Japan on release date. Absolutely love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g-shock armor.jpg (289.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 30 October 2021, 02:55 AM   #55
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

I only have one Rolex left (D-Blue).

It is easy for me to sell pieces that have doubled in value. I love Rolex, but we are talking pieces that are not generally rare (in the context of rare watches) or haute horology (to be blunt), so when prices hit a certain point I have no qualms with selling them and never seeing them again. Albeit I also would be ok with buying them back if prices make sense again.

Right now, there are plenty of pieces out there to be had that are haute, rare, and aesthetically pleasing that are reasonably priced in comparison to the major players. When certain pieces are this hot, it just means someone will eventually get stuck holding the potato.

I will say, it has been nice getting retail back on a few pieces I thought I would eventually eat dirt on.
Old 30 October 2021, 03:10 AM   #56
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
If you're going to get G-Shocks, definitely get the new Armor B5000 (full titanium) before the prices go higher in the grey market. Cool piece. I got mine a few days ago. It was shipped in from Japan on release date. Absolutely love it!

This is very cool looking.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2021, 01:23 PM   #57
Bezelworld
"TRF" Member

Upgrade your watch and buy a Fifty Fathoms
Bezelworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2021, 07:02 PM   #58
JTL31

As others have said, the 2 brands can peacefully coexist! Have fun shopping and post an incoming soon.

JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2021, 12:00 AM   #59
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
This is very cool looking.

It feels really really nice on the wrist. Reminds me of some of my favorite things as a prepubescent boy (Gundham/Robotech/Voltron, Casio/G-Shock watches, die-cast models/toys). Good times...
Old 31 October 2021, 12:14 AM   #60
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
This thread has inspired me to sell my seamaster for a g shock. The past year or so i find myself only reaching for the smp going to the gym which seems silly when someone else could easily enjoy it as the amazing everyday watch it is.

Note: in the OPs situation i agree with everyone saying keep sub and add g shock. My situation is different with 8 other watches it just made me realize why own one youre not giving the love to anymore when someone else will easily step in.
PhilLynott is offline   Reply With Quote