The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 October 2017, 05:01 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

Is a Santos Dumont an Effeminate-Looking Watch?

Reason for asking. A colleague has to liquidate some personal assets and offered to sell me his Santos (gold bezel over SS). Mrs. BC wears one and while it looks great on her, the case is somewhat smaller than a more traditional men's watch and it is far more dressier in appearance than my 5-digit Submariner.

I've always liked the Cartier Santos design concept but my gut-feeling is that I probably wouldn't be wearing it as much as my more utilitarian 16610 plus I would feel kind of lame wearing his/her matching watches on any given occasion. While it sounds like I am arguing my own justifications against this hypothetical purchase (and I probably am), do any of you guys wear one of these? One thing is for certain, I would imagine that this particular model doesn't look very good on a NATO strap.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 05:18 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Is a Santos Dumont an Effeminate-Looking Watch?

Tank shaped cases have acquired many detractors but there is strong history there. Ive had a couple of models (not the Santos, though) and found them useful in formal/dress/office settings. Understated elegance is never out of date - but I do see the hulky bulky 42mm+ case dimensions redefining watch gendering. It would take a confident person to eschew such bias IMHO and wear what fit the purpose vs. the gender bias.

I’d say buy it and go from there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 09:32 AM   #3
meganfox17
Banned

I think I have an effeminate looking watch to share too. Have you guys seen the latest Omega Ad ? I mean , What On Earth is going on here, Omega ??!! Targeting a specific group of the population? Who was the sissy pretty boy at the Omega Advertising Agency who approved this ad ?

Women don't like their Men looking like that ....I mean How is this Guy suppose to protect me when I'm being...say assaulted ? By throwing a Teddy Bear at my attacker ?
I'm trying hard to look for positives but like ...I'm speechless ! Hire me instead, elect me in-charge because I'll do a much better job and put the Omega marketing folks at Bienne to shame !
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:35 PM   #4
osamu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I think I have an effeminate looking watch to share too. Have you guys seen the latest Omega Ad ? I mean , What On Earth is going on here, Omega ??!! Targeting a specific group of the population? Who was the sissy pretty boy at the Omega Advertising Agency who approved this ad ?

Women don't like their Men looking like that ....I mean How is this Guy suppose to protect me when I'm being...say assaulted ? By throwing a Teddy Bear at my attacker ?
I'm trying hard to look for positives but like ...I'm speechless ! Hire me instead, elect me in-charge because I'll do a much better job and put the Omega marketing folks at Bienne to shame !
Reminds me of this ad by Seiko for the Marine Master. Definitely doesn't fit the image I would've thought they're trying to portray.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZKedWplB9O/?hl=en
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 05:59 PM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
It's a nice watch but if it's the one I have, gift from my grandmother 30 years ago when watches were smaller, I don't wear it, my wife does, too small for modern times IMO, but it's a nice watch, also have the SS with YG bezel and gold screws, I would pass but your call
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Speak for yourself M.
I think he's cute.

Tough almost.

I don't like the sub dial graduations, the date window in the sub dial or the size of the sub dials.

We should all now find another thread.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 08:30 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I totally agree with you, but in Europe and the US there is a market for this, not where I live people would burst laughing if they saw such an ad, and I don't think it's an ad targeting men who like women "times they are a changing" Bob Dylan...
Old 13 October 2017, 09:33 PM   #8
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
He is not a man, he is a boy, the son of Cindy Crawford:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...sadors-1044675

Quote:
I'm trying hard to look for positives
Look harder.
Old 13 October 2017, 10:13 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

I'm a big fan of the Tank and Santos line. Men used to wear smaller dressier watches back in the 40s, 50s and 60s, just watch mad men and tell me they don't look good...

And yes, I wear my Tank with a simple white t-shirt, jeans and boots while walking around puffin on my pipe. Looks perfectly fine with a casual outfit.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 11:41 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
No, I used to have a Santos Chrono, it was great but like a brick, in the end too much for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 02:10 AM   #11
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Speak for yourself M.
I think he's cute.

Tough almost..
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 04:40 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Wow. Not sure what angle they are playing here lol
Old 14 October 2017, 06:17 AM   #13
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I am a sensitive guy wearing a sensible size Speedmaster ... haha
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 09:53 AM   #14
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
https://www.omegawatches.com/hertime...-a-difference/
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 10:42 AM   #15
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamu View Post
Reminds me of this ad by Seiko for the Marine Master. Definitely doesn't fit the image I would've thought they're trying to portray.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZKedWplB9O/?hl=en
You two are focusing more on the model portrayal than the watch being marketed/advertised but I can see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
...I would pass but your call
Agreed. I'm thinking that my next watch (if any) will fall somewhere below the price range and visual recognition of a Rolex but higher-up on the food chain than a drugstore Timex. That leaves a lot of breathing room.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 11:31 AM   #16
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I still wear my Santos Galbee, it is small by today's standards but I think it is one of the most beautiful watches ever made.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 10:50 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

The truth is most younger attractive women/girls now need far more protecting on social media than on the streets, where they receive far more abuse. Best now for boyfriends to have a fast finger and acidic tongue.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:29 AM   #18
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Quote:
They are trying to catch the eye of younger millennials who aren't buying mechanical watches. We old folks aren't supposed to get it.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:10 AM   #19
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I posted a link earlier. It’s a charity campaign!!!

“A cuddly companion given to children undergoing eye surgery is the inspiration behind OMEGA's new collection of watches, made in support of Orbis International and its Flying Eye Hospital. The teddy, which is given to every young Orbis patient, makes it easier for doctors to explain what's about to take place and gives comfort to the often confused and anxious child before and after surgery.”

If you click on the link and go to Omega’s website you’ll see there are many ads featuring the bear. This kids is Cindy Crawford son. She was one of the original ambassadors for this campaign.

https://www.omegawatches.com/hertime...-a-difference/
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:57 AM   #20
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
I posted a link earlier. It’s a charity campaign!!!
That just goes to show how easy it is for advertisers to totally miss the mark.

I saw that and wrote it off as another social justice campaign.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:08 AM   #21
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Although I won't jump on the child blindness campaign bashing, I will say that particular Cartier isn't my favorite, especially the TT on a bracelet. On a dark leather it looks pretty nice as a formal/business watch. If you like it, go for it!

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:21 AM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The truth is most younger attractive women/girls now need far more protecting on social media than on the streets, where they receive far more abuse. Best now for boyfriends to have a fast finger and acidic tongue.
Oh my friend, believe me in France there is still a lot of abuse in the streets for any young pretty girl, especially if she is blonde. And IMO it's only going to get worse, not better...
Old 15 October 2017, 03:45 AM   #23
FTX I
"TRF" Member

This is the right guy Omega!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ted.jpg (51.4 KB, 222 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 05:00 AM   #24
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Pretty effective advertising because people are talking about it. As for the watch, I like it and if people are watch shopping I doubt they'd know or remember this is the one used in the ad. But its definitely an attention grabber.

I met Cindy in the mid 80s in LA in a book store and in person she was prettier even than in her pictures and she wasn't wearing makeup.

I think her kids are gonna do great in this whole modeling gig.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 01:35 PM   #25
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Omega has teddy ads to appeal to the manly man as well, so I guess, all bases covered...

back to Cartier.... Hmmmm, if your friend is a good one, you can help him out and get the watch for a price where you could flip it later and at least break even, then give it a try.I'm not a fan of Cartier and even less this watch, but I'm not the one whoo'll be rocking it...
Either way, never matchy matchy with the wife. Mine would punch me if I suggested that...
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 07:08 AM   #26
holdtime
Banned

Wear what YOU like not what you think people will like.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote