The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 November 2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Layner
"TRF" Member

New chronograph issue. Need advice

Really hoping some more experienced watch aficionados can lend some wisdom.

I've wanted a chronograph for a long time. I love the new Glashutte Original Senator Chrono, and bought one on vacation in Vegas last week. Got it in the mail today, and the first time I ran the stopwatch it froze at about 35 seconds. The second hand seemed to be twitching, like the movement was going but the hand was stuck. I was able to restart normally through the pusher. I was obviously a bit shocked. The second and third time I ran it, it made it around at least 2 rotations before I stopped it and reset. Ok, weird but I decide it was a fluke. After that it froze 5-6 times in a row (one of which was videoed). The recording was 35 seconds and too big for email, so as it always froze between 30 and 40, I tried to film starting at the 30 second mark hoping for a better video to email the salesmen to prove the watch was defective.

After that, the stopwatch hasn't frozen once in over a dozen attempts. Knowing I have it on video already, I decided to experiment and put it on my watchwinder with the stopwatch running. The watch has now run run for 10 minutes in clockwise and counter-clockwise without freezing! I put it on and have run it several more times, without issue.

Has anyone else experienced this with any brand? Is this at all normal?

It is obviously going to be a hassle to return, but I definitely don't want to take a defective watch.

Thanks to everyone
Layner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 11:23 PM   #2
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Was it fully, or at least mostly, wound before you started the chrono ?
It may just have been a bit sticky from lack of use, if it’s working fine now I shouldn’t worry about it. Congrats on the new watch !
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 11:49 PM   #3
PJ S
Banned

Definitely not normal at all, and as much as it’s behaving itself now, you’ve no guarantee that it’ll stay that way.
The last thing you want is to get to 6 months out of warranty, and it starts doing it again, and you can’t reset it.
Hassle or not, return it for a replacement, not a warranty repair.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 12:28 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Definitely not normal at all, and as much as it’s behaving itself now, you’ve no guarantee that it’ll stay that way.
The last thing you want is to get to 6 months out of warranty, and it starts doing it again, and you can’t reset it.
Hassle or not, return it for a replacement, not a warranty repair.
Have to agree. Send it back if possible. Mainly because I’m unsure of the GO service quality in the US.
Old 1 December 2017, 03:15 AM   #5
Layner
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the advice, everyone

I wore it to work today to run the stopwatch as much as possible. It has now frozen twice at random times.

This one's going back, my only question now is if I replace it. It's a brand new model so I'm not it's sure if it's a defective watch or defective design.
Old 1 December 2017, 05:28 AM   #6
themast
"TRF" Member

This is not the recently released Senator Chrono Date?

Anyway, I would contact GO to express your concerns and see what they say, independently of the fact that you are returning the watch to the seller etc.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Layner
"TRF" Member

It is the brand new Senator Chrono date that just started shipping. I cannot tell you how elated I was to get it.

Seller is taking care of me, just hope the isn't a design flaw, because I am in love with the watch
Old 1 December 2017, 11:18 AM   #8
PJ S
Banned

^
Doubtful that it’s a design flaw, as you normally don’t hear a bad word said about Glashutte Original, so this is one of those rare occasions.
One would presume their R&D and testing prior to production caught any issues, which have been resolved. Yours just happens to have shat itself somewhere between assembly/QC and arriving with you.
Old 1 December 2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Layner
"TRF" Member

All fair points and you're right, you really don't hear about this happening with Glashutte. It's been a bummer though, I've bought a lot of watches and this is my first to shat itself.
Old 2 December 2017, 12:17 AM   #10
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layner View Post
All fair points and you're right, you really don't hear about this happening with Glashutte. It's been a bummer though, I've bought a lot of watches and this is my first to shat itself.
It is a bummer. As I said, I would write to GO just to get their feedback and make sure they know your situation.
Old 2 December 2017, 02:02 AM   #11
PJ S
Banned

^
As the OP’s getting a replacement, there’s no point – the dealer will be returning it to the distributor/SC, who’ll liaise with the factory about its issue, since they’ll be billing them for its repair.
It’d be a different matter if the AD was doing anything less than offering the correct course of resolution.
Old 14 December 2017, 05:10 AM   #12
Layner
"TRF" Member

I felt the need to close out the thread

I received a new, replacement watch yesterday from the AD, and after worrying it would be a hassle, it only took 1 week to receive the replacement from the day I shipped the old one.

Overall, it's good to see Glashutte stand by their product and make it right (new watch functions perfectly). More importantly, if anyone is watch shopping in Vegas, know that Horologio will take care of you if find yourself in a similar situation.

However, the moral of the story for me is that I will NEVER by a grey market watch.
Old 14 December 2017, 07:07 AM   #13
themast
"TRF" Member

Excellent news!!!

It is now time to post some photographs here and in the GO appreciation thread..
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=484006