The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 December 2017, 02:35 AM   #31
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
5711 and 5980 blue are my faves by far. The thickness of the 5980 is overrated, it's a really comfortable watch.
I like the 5726 but would choose others first.
Agree.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 03:47 AM   #32
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
In all seriousness having owned the 5980/1A, the 5712/1A, and the 5711 in various metals (haha) I really like the 5726A. I owned a white dial and it left me wanting more, I think early 2018 a grey is my future. I think the 5980/1A and chronographs in general are kind of useless. Also the 5980, much like the 5960, lacks a running seconds. Sure you could leave the chrono running with no damage to the movement but I just hate watches without running seconds... it's why I never wear my 15202 and the 15400 gets more wrist time (amongst other reasons like a more robust movement and easier date changing..) The only thing I don't like about some Patek annual's is the 24hour indicator. To me it's just a design thing... I think it looks awesome but in practice is quite useless. If you don't know whether it's AM or PM you've got more serious problems then checking your watch..

The 5980 is a lot of hype..the dial is balanced but I would argue it's no more balanced then the 5726 or 5711. The 5712 is my personal favorite due to the asymtry and to me it's just romantic with the moonphase and micro rotor..one could argue that the power reserve is almost pointless on an automatic watch but being someone who has watches sit in the safe for awhile it's nice to know how much power is left.

Honestly, I'll say what many have told me. Go with what you like. If you need enabling I simply say know the market. Make sure you don't take a bath if you don't want it anymore.
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 03:54 AM   #33
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteHorlogerie View Post
In all seriousness having owned the 5980/1A, the 5712/1A, and the 5711 in various metals (haha) I really like the 5726A. I owned a white dial and it left me wanting more, I think early 2018 a grey is my future. I think the 5980/1A and chronographs in general are kind of useless. Also the 5980, much like the 5960, lacks a running seconds. Sure you could leave the chrono running with no damage to the movement but I just hate watches without running seconds... it's why I never wear my 15202 and the 15400 gets more wrist time (amongst other reasons like a more robust movement and easier date changing..) The only thing I don't like about some Patek annual's is the 24hour indicator. To me it's just a design thing... I think it looks awesome but in practice is quite useless. If you don't know whether it's AM or PM you've got more serious problems then checking your watch..

The 5980 is a lot of hype..the dial is balanced but I would argue it's no more balanced then the 5726 or 5711. The 5712 is my personal favorite due to the asymtry and to me it's just romantic with the moonphase and micro rotor..one could argue that the power reserve is almost pointless on an automatic watch but being someone who has watches sit in the safe for awhile it's nice to know how much power is left.

Honestly, I'll say what many have told me. Go with what you like. If you need enabling I simply say know the market. Make sure you don't take a bath if you don't want it anymore.

I think the only reasonable decision here is to go with Casio. Deciding between Patek and Casio is a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 04:05 AM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteHorlogerie View Post

My understanding is it has a functional purpose on the 5726. The date change is active between 8pm and 2am and the moon phase is active between 9 and 11am so you have a recommended window of a few hours to set everything and patek recommends setting it when the time is set at 6am. The 24 hour indicator is very helpful to know if you are in am/pm. If you are not sure and set everything and then advance past midnight setting the time,then the AC will be out of sync and it would be a hassle to reset it.

When wearing the watch its not practical but as a reference for setting the watch correctly its helpful.

Design wise i like it.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 05:10 AM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanmodel View Post
Me too +1

This and the D500 are my two top white dial sports.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 05:15 AM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Nice comparison pics, thanks for that.

Personally I would like my Nautilus to be slim and smaller - the size and proportions of the 5712 and 5711 are just perfect to me. I'm not a fan of the 5990 and 5980 as I find them quite thick. Although I must admit I've been thinking of the 5726 as of late as the prices are still within reason for them, and they have a useful complication.
I get you, a thickish Nautilus/Aquanaut doesn't quite jive with me, prefer my APs more that way, but as prices for the 12 are getting ridiculous the 26 has to become a serious contender and undoubtedly has the better comp.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 11:28 PM   #37
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
The good news is that there is NO bad choice! All the Nauti references are fantastic... from the simply 5711 to the 5990!

I am indeed lucky to own a few of them...

And I must say the 5726 get the most wrist time... My White 5726 when I am super casual, shorts and T-shirt and the black every other time!

Keep it simple... get the first available !

Old 6 December 2017, 02:17 AM   #38
CRDMMW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnHand View Post
The good news is that there is NO bad choice! All the Nauti references are fantastic... from the simply 5711 to the 5990!

And I must say the 5726 get the most wrist time... My White 5726 when I am super casual, shorts and T-shirt and the black every other time!

Wow!! Clap:Clap! I second this. Can’t go wrong with any of them. All of them have become pretty tuff to find. The 5726 was available first and I happen to really like the AC so I picked it up. It’s fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRDMMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 07:13 AM   #39
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

The 5712 and the 5726 White is my Nautilus end game.
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 02:10 PM   #40
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
[QUOTE=TimeOnHand;8088161]The good news is that there is NO bad choice! All the Nauti references are fantastic... from the simply 5711 to the 5990!

Sorry.... correction... I do not own the 5167 anymore... I upgraded to the 5164!

Old 6 December 2017, 04:20 PM   #41
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalf123 View Post
The 5712 and the 5726 White is my Nautilus end game.

Old 13 December 2017, 03:31 AM   #42
thanakornl
"TRF" Member

5711 is a favorite now!
thanakornl is offline   Reply With Quote