The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 December 2017, 08:48 AM   #1
AndyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Explorer 214270

Greetings, I’m certain someone has the answer to my question. I’ve decided to add an Explorer and I’m not getting a clear answer on the dial and hands. MK2 version. Apparently it was introduced in 2016. Are all 214270 models from 2016 included with the longer hands and lume dial? Also I’m seeing Explorers from 2010 with the mk2 version. Various bits of confusing information out there. Also if the dial has been changed on an older version are the hands changed automatically? Thanks for any clarification of the issue.
Sorry about wrong model#. 214270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 09:31 AM   #2
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
There was abviously a point when the longer slightly wider hands/partially lumed 3/6/9 were introduced into production. How this translates to when those versions got to dealers and were subsequently sold is probably not possible to say. I'd think any new watch sold in 2010 would have the shorter hands/solid white gold numerals. It was no big issue anyway except in the minds of some who have made it one. Of course, some may have an issue now that the longer hands mean that the lumed part overlaps the lume of the 5 minute markers. The earlier version just "met up".

A 214270 sold in 2010 could not have the latest dial hands fitted from new.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 09:39 AM   #3
AndyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
There was abviously a point when the longer hands/partially lumed 3/6/9 were introduced into production. How this translates to when those versions got to dealers and were subsequently sold is probably not possible to say. I'd think any new watch sold in 2010 would have the shorter hands/solid white gold numerals. It was no big issue anyway except in the minds of some who have made it one. Of course, some may have an issue now that the longer hands mean that the lumed part overlaps the lume of the 5 minute markers. The earlier version just "met up".

Thank you, I am beginning to think that in fact it wasn’t an issue but as you’ve made mention it has been made into one. I simply love the watch and I’m particularly fond of the pre-lume 3/6/9 in the light gold tint. Classy. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 07:46 PM   #4
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
.... and I’m particularly fond of the pre-lume 3/6/9 in the light gold tint. Classy.....
Me too, as you might have guessed
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 10:46 AM   #5
joesetx
"TRF" Member

The first version of the 214270 was introduced in 2010. The size had increased from the 36mm 114270 to 39mm. The 3, 6, and 9 markers were not lumed, they were white gold.
The hands were the same ones used on the previous 36mm model so they looked small on the new watch with the larger dial.

The latest version with the lumed 3, 6, and 9 markers and the longer hands was introduced after Basel World in 2016.

The early 2016 models had the word explorer on the dial spaced unevenly like:
E X PLOR E R

This has been changed and the later models have even spacing on the word EXPLORER
joesetx is offline   Reply With Quote